Home

NBA 2K14 VC Shows Its Ugly Side

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 VC Shows Its Ugly Side within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #249
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K14 VC Shows Its Ugly Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Re-reading my post, it kind of makes it sound like I was saying I broke that record. I didn't, but if I did, it would have been the most disappointing payoff in my gaming history. I agree, it should have been 38,387 virtual coins, instead of 500.
I'm not sure one should get a boatload of VC to further drastically improve their MyPlayer for an achievement or breaking a record. Seems unrealistic from a player progression/balance perspective.

However, there should be some sort of payoff, which makes me feel like VC shouldn't be used for attributes or skill points directly, but rather only for cosmetic items, sig skills (maybe), badges (which tend to be somewhat balanced), and animation packages. The most VC should do is allow you temporary 25% XP/Skillpoint boosts, or maybe allow up to 200% XP boosts (resulting in 300% total XP) for a limited time but with a pricing scale that gets increasingly expensive. In either case, people should be forced to actually play the game for their players to progress, and should be able to make reasonable progress in all modes at once without paying for VC XP boosts.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #250
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I'm not sure one should get a boatload of VC to further drastically improve their MyPlayer for an achievement or breaking a record. Seems unrealistic from a player progression/balance perspective.

However, there should be some sort of payoff, which makes me feel like VC shouldn't be used for attributes or skill points directly, but rather only for cosmetic items, sig skills (maybe), badges (which tend to be somewhat balanced), and animation packages. The most VC should do is allow you temporary 25% XP/Skillpoint boosts, or maybe allow up to 200% XP boosts (resulting in 300% total XP) for a limited time but with a pricing scale that gets increasingly expensive. In either case, people should be forced to actually play the game for their players to progress, and should be able to make reasonable progress in all modes at once without paying for VC XP boosts.

Well, scoring 38K in a myCareer career should just give you a lot of VC JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE DEDICATED TO actually do that lol.

i mean seriously, WHO HAS SCORED 38K and made the HoF with a myCareer player in ONE calendar year? I believe that you should be awarded a lot for that. If its like 100 points in a game, its really no big deal since everyone can do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #251
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Well, scoring 38K in a myCareer career should just give you a lot of VC JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE DEDICATED TO actually do that lol.

i mean seriously, WHO HAS SCORED 38K and made the HoF with a myCareer player in ONE calendar year? I believe that you should be awarded a lot for that. If its like 100 points in a game, its really no big deal since everyone can do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think there should be siginificant FUN rewards. I just don't think it should lead to weird, unsim overnight player progression without some effort-- but that just points to the whole problem with VC=Skillpoints design. VC should be used for XP boosts and non-skillpoint related upgrades.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #252
Rookie

To anyone saying 2K isn't trying to screw customers, just compare the rewards.

People in this thread are talking about how you make 500 VC for scoring 38,387 career points. That's less than you earn in one game.

Want to take a guess how much you earned in 2K11 before VC? 50,000 skill points. Sure you earned about 1000-3000 skill points a game if I remember correctly, but if they kept their conversion rate there, that should work out to about 20,000-30,000 VC if they were trying to keep things fair.

It's a complete joke. I've said this numerous times, but if you guys are upset with the way 2K is trying to turn gaming into a cheap gimmick found on free to play cell phone games, just don't buy their game next year. Switch to Madden, switch to FIFA, switch to NBA Live, switch to MLB The Show, get into PC gaming, play real basketball, do something else with your time, just don't buy the game day 1 until you get enough information to assure yourself that you aren't getting screwed.

Buying this broken game day 1 encourages them to put out a garbage product that's basically a middle finger to the fans since they're getting rewarded for it. Anytime someone's MyPlayer glitches and erases or whatever, they get rewarded for having a crap product if that person buys VC to get back to where he was. Not only do they half-*** the product, they treat us like idiots.

You have Ronnie2K and LD2K always browsing this forum pre-release and post-release but they'll never directly answer any questions about how greedy 2K's VC policy is or how broken some of the game modes are, or at best they'll give us a half-assed condescending answer. If we're waiting on a roster, "it's coming soon." If we get a patch "it addresses technical stuff" without any specifics.

It's time to stop rewarding 2K for this anti-consumer, grind or pay, unfinished piece of trash that forces you to be always online when 2K's servers are garbage. Come 2K15, seriously do yourself a favor and wait a week to see comments on the game before you buy it. Just doing that in itself will be enough to put pressure on 2K.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #253
MVP

MarvinOida's Arena

OVR: 20
NBA 2K14 VC Shows Its Ugly Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I think there should be siginificant FUN rewards. I just don't think it should lead to weird, unsim overnight player progression without some effort-- but that just points to the whole problem with VC=Skillpoints design. VC should be used for XP boosts and non-skillpoint related upgrades.

You are missing the point. you already had the accomplishment OF 38,000 POINTS! There's NOTHING UNSIM accomplishing it with that VC. Even IF you start a NEW myCareer WITH THAT, you'll lose it easy if you want speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MarvinOida; 12-14-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #254
Rookie

Re: PastaPadre: VC Implementation Threatens The Future Of The NBA 2K Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
If sales go down enough to where that extra revenue they get from VC don't cover the lost you better believe they will change things, and i'm really hoping that's what happens.

We can send them negative emails...read, tweet, and/or post articles all we want but it's not going to mean a damn thing if people don't take action and not buy the game if they continue like they are.
Bingo.

I'm not surprised it's come to this, though. 2K has been the only viable option for a playable basketball game for years. Simple economics, really. Corner the market, and then raise the praises and/or spread the cost of operation. How this ends depends solely on how the consumers respond.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #255
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
You are missing the point. you already had the accomplishment OF 38,000 POINTS! There's NOTHING UNSIM accomplishing it with that VC. Even IF you start a NEW myCareer WITH THAT, you'll lose it easy if you want speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're missing mine. Everything about getting 38,000 VC at once to jack up ratings heavily by scoring that last bucket is unsim. Kareem shouldn't be able to max out his 3 point shooting from 25 the moment he scores that last bucket. John Stockton doesn't get to max out his dunk the moment he breaks the assists record. Ray Allen shouldn't turn into a shot blocking and rebounding monster the moment he hits his record breaking 3.

Being able to accrue large chunks of VC at once, by rewards or by purchase, and apply it directly to your player is unsim period. Which is why I prefer the whole mechanic go for XP boosts and things of that nature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #256
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippenAintEasy
To anyone saying 2K isn't trying to screw customers, just compare the rewards.

People in this thread are talking about how you make 500 VC for scoring 38,387 career points. That's less than you earn in one game.

Want to take a guess how much you earned in 2K11 before VC? 50,000 skill points. Sure you earned about 1000-3000 skill points a game if I remember correctly, but if they kept their conversion rate there, that should work out to about 20,000-30,000 VC if they were trying to keep things fair
WOW! That's extremely telling. We can't get nice rewards for achievements anymore because some bean counter at 2K freaks seeing big chunks of VC given away, because he likely equates it to money out of 2K's pocket.

This is VC, not Bitcoins, 2K...

Last edited by Sundown; 12-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »