Home

NHL 15 on the 360/PS3 Appears To Be A Minor Update

This is a discussion on NHL 15 on the 360/PS3 Appears To Be A Minor Update within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #57

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 15 on the 360/PS3 Appears To Be A Minor Update

Does the game still have the "snow shower" movement in it for user controlled players? It was something I noticed was introduced in NHL13(I haven't played NHL14 so I don't know if it was taken out).

Basically, if your player skates in one direction,then switches directions, there'd be abit of a lag(where a "snow shower" happens due to the player stopping and changing directions), but the problem is that the CPU never had this type of thing, so while your player actually stopped and changed directions and all,the CPU could change directions all in one smooth motion,which resulted in them getting past your guys so easily on offense and defense.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #58
Rookie

LuminousCarcass's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
So, uh, I'm actually pretty pleased with the 360 version. The stuff on ice, with slider adjustments, feels good.

-I like the improvements to skating and puck physics. The puck seems to have appropriate weight. There are still some instances on rebounds where it doesn't seem to react with proper weight, but I think overall puck physics are much improved.

-Manual passing seems sharper, and improved for the first time in years

-Saw some decent things from the cpu like using the boards to pass, and cycling the puck by chipping the puck along the boards to get it down low.

-CPU bs defensive moves like the ability to use physics-defying nudges from behind to dispossess human players seems gone. CPU seems to have a better sense of defending with body position and stick work.

-Teammate AI feels better to me. Feels like the have a better sense of how to get open, and even time getting off a check to receive a pass in the open.

The game will get a lot of flak for the recycled front end, but I'm quite pleased with the under the hood stuff, in addition to having the game modes that give the game longevity over the year.
I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here; the pucks physics being the most noticeable, significant change.

I typically play as the goalie, and my first two games on NHL 15 (with slider adjustments) were intense. The first I lost to NJ (as NYI with their Winter classic alternate jersey) in a shootout for a score of 2-1. The second I beat FLA (as BUF) 4-2. In both games, shots, face-offs, and hits were realistic numbers (for 7 min periods).

The under-the-hood tweaks are nice; they're subtle but noticeable when playing the game. Also, when playing as the goalie, I don't feel inherently cheated and feel like I have a legit chance at most save opportunities. The goalies feel more liquid, as opposed to rigid and choppy.

Of course, the EA roster is garbage. I'm so used to playing the Revamped rosters, I hate seeing every NHL team with four / four and half stars in all areas.

Basically, if the tennis ball, Mickey Mouse physics of NHL 14 don't bother you, I'd stick with NHL 14. If you want a re-tuned, less choppy product, with some nice cosmetic touches (updated logos, player pics, jerseys, a couple of new European teams), I'd get 15.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #59
Banned

Quote:
So, uh, I'm actually pretty pleased with the 360 version. The stuff on ice, with slider adjustments, feels good.

-I like the improvements to skating and puck physics. The puck seems to have appropriate weight. There are still some instances on rebounds where it doesn't seem to react with proper weight, but I think overall puck physics are much improved.

-Saw some decent things from the cpu like using the boards to pass, and cycling the puck by chipping the puck along the boards to get it down low.

-CPU bs defensive moves like the ability to use physics-defying nudges from behind to dispossess human players seems gone. CPU seems to have a better sense of defending with body position and stick work.

-Teammate AI feels better to me. Feels like the have a better sense of how to get open, and even time getting off a check to receive a pass in the open.

The game will get a lot of flak for the recycled front end, but I'm quite pleased with the under the hood stuff, in addition to having the game modes that give the game longevity over the year.

I agree with your assessment....
I know that a new game would be great, but I have also got the sliders under control with NHL14 to play a most realistic game as I can. I can at least keep playing NHL15 and wait till the fixes come for the xbox1.

At least we will have the teams in the European leagues updated with the correct 2015 teams - as they have changed. Also the AHL has the changes to their teams as well. (Adirondack Flames)
Old 09-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #60
Rookie

Quote:

are you using your own sliders, or used anyone else's ? I'm looking to get a good set for pro mode on 360
Old 09-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #61
Rookie

I can't start my own thread, but this is an appropriate forum. Can we petition EA to at the very least add the NBC stuff to the 360/ps3 version? I'm not talking the full overhead view of the city and the pregame stuff, but just the score clock and NBC logo instead of the ugly stuff EA did. I don't see why this couldn't have been added, or forced by NBC as part of the new deal. Why do it on one Gen and not both? It doesn't seem like it would be any more CPU intensive than what they have already, and it would be prettier. Then, I could justify spending the extra money on the new version of the game. Why spend the extra cash for just a roster update when I can get it here for free?

I'm aware of how things change when they change formats, I remember Madden 02 I think when EA stopped building for the PC. Ps3 and Xbox were getting the ability to challenge plays but it wasn't included in PC for some reason. I think with the new commentary team, they should AT LEAST add the logo branding on the boards and on screen. And even if they did a static picture of the outside arena, like NHL 96(?) for PC, that would help too, but I'd be happy with just the logo branding. This I was really expecting and was disappointed by. I knew the full stuff would only be on next gen, but to not have ANY NBC stuff on last gen just seems to be sticking it to the consumers, as well as to NBC.

I'm sticking with 14 for now, 15 is coming via gamefly, and I'll get it for ps4 during tax season, when hopefully all upgrades promised to you folks are available.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbyrask
I can't start my own thread, but this is an appropriate forum. Can we petition EA to at the very least add the NBC stuff to the 360/ps3 version? I'm not talking the full overhead view of the city and the pregame stuff, but just the score clock and NBC logo instead of the ugly stuff EA did.

I'm sticking with 14 for now, 15 is coming via gamefly, and I'll get it for ps4 during tax season, when hopefully all upgrades promised to you folks are available.

Why NBC...I'd rather have TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #63
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack72
Why NBC...I'd rather have TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC.
Because NBC is the one they had a partnership with. Although I wouldn't mind getting Don Cherry in the game. The point is, if they made a deal with NBC, why would they not brand both gen games with the NBC stuff, instead of just the latest? In all honesty, even if it was as simple as them changing the default score ticker and logos to ANYTHING other than the EA ones, I'd go buy this game this weekend. I'm not hard to please. I can get custom music and pretend that I tuned in late and missed the pregame summary because my kid was watching SpongeBob or something. I'd be happier than a midget at a miniskirt convention if this one thing was changed for those of us still on last gen. That's just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 5

In Canada...I was just looking at it in online stores yesterday. I didn't buy '14 because it looked too much like '13 and I was sick of the fact that once you started a season mode you lost a lot of control over being able to edit players or add new ones to that season.
Watching the videos, '15 doesn't look much different than '13, let alone '14. And now I see they want $70 for the game. I remember paying $60, so they want more money now for essentially the same thing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »