Home

Madden NFL 17 Gets New Commentary Team Featuring Brandon Gaudin & Charles Davis

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Gets New Commentary Team Featuring Brandon Gaudin & Charles Davis within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #153
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Madden NFL 17 Gets New Commentary Team Featuring Brandon Gaudin & Charles Davis

Well, I like it but I wonder how much is new vs. how much is re-recording old lines?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #154
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 Gets New Commentary Team Featuring Brandon Gaudin & Charles Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Well, I like it but I wonder how much is new vs. how much is re-recording old lines?
From a conceptual perspective, I'm sure they had to record a lot of basic / generic lines.

That said, I doubt they literally recorded scripts from Nantz / Simms.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #155
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Excited, optimistic, but I do have my reservations for the simple fact that live broadcast is unscripted.

My concern comes down to the fact that they're not in their "natural" environment so to speak. The emotional expression conveyed through live TV broadcast isn't scripted. The atmosphere is undoubtedly different. The external stimuli are different. Stadium crowd noise dictated by the play on the field is missing during in studio recording sessions. The adrenaline rush is missing in action. Madden is a video game and the "stakes to make the real playoffs and win the ultimate prize" are missing. If the Seahawks lose in Madden, it's no big deal. But if the Seahawks lose in the real NFL for multiple consecutive weeks, it is a big deal.

I am interested in hearing how the collaboration with the Madden team, Brandon Gaudin, and Charles Davis will play out in video game form. Sitting in a recording studio is different from a booth in a stadium.

My other concern is "dead air." Are they going to be talking/analyzing replay? There is a major difference between Madden Simms/Nantz and live NFL Simms/Nantz. I just hope Madden 17 hits the jack pot and truly captures the feel of a real live broadcast.

@25:40 - 25:55 (real broadcast team talking during replays). Broadcast team will talk, talk and talk throughout the entire broadcast, but for brief moments when they're not talking, the crowd noise makes up for the "dead air."
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #156
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Excited, optimistic, but I do have my reservations for the simple fact that live broadcast is unscripted.

My concern comes down to the fact that they're not in their "natural" environment so to speak. The emotional expression conveyed through live TV broadcast isn't scripted. The atmosphere is undoubtedly different. The external stimuli are different. Stadium crowd noise dictated by the play on the field is missing during in studio recording sessions. The adrenaline rush is missing in action. Madden is a video game and the "stakes to make the real playoffs and win the ultimate prize" are missing. If the Seahawks lose in Madden, it's no big deal. But if the Seahawks lose in the real NFL for multiple consecutive weeks, it is a big deal.

I am interested in hearing how the collaboration with the Madden team, Brandon Gaudin, and Charles Davis will play out in video game form. Sitting in a recording studio is different from a booth in a stadium.

My other concern is "dead air." Are they going to be talking/analyzing replay? There is a major difference between Madden Simms/Nantz and live NFL Simms/Nantz. I just hope Madden 17 hits the jack pot and truly captures the feel of a real live broadcast.

@25:40 - 25:55 (real broadcast team talking during replays). Broadcast team will talk, talk and talk throughout the entire broadcast, but for brief moments when they're not talking, the crowd noise makes up for the "dead air."
Of course it's never going to really compare to live broadcasting, but given the constraints of the medium right now, it looks to be a significant improvement from what has come before. So people are excited within the context of the recognizing the limitations of it being a video game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #157
Rookie

Pixx4Sixx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Willing to give it a chance is the same thing as saying a promotional video that shows absolutely zero in game retail commentary makes you automatically turning it off?

Blew my mind there.
The beginning of the trailer was actual in game sound. When he introduces the teams.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #158
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
In what shape or form did you come to this conclusion? Talk about jumping the gun!
While I like Charles Davis as an analyst, I find him to be terrible as a color guy. Add in the fact I was already annoyed by the other guys voice in the little bit we heard in the video and it's a simple conclusion.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #159
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Of course it's never going to really compare to live broadcasting, but given the constraints of the medium right now, it looks to be a significant improvement from what has come before. So people are excited within the context of the recognizing the limitations of it being a video game.
I think the biggest flaw in the commentary has always been the lack of replay analysis. We just get generic lines during replays. Hopefully the new team has more specific play breakdown. Instead of a generic the quarterback threw a nice pass and the receiver caught it I would like to hear for example "Andrew Luck saw Von Miller coming on the blitz and threw the pass underneath to TY Hilton who was running a crossing route." Or "Carson Wentz is a young quarterback who is still learning the game at the pro level has to see that Clay Matthews is mismatched against the TE who is not known as a blocking TE. He should have kept a running back in to block or found the hot receiver to avoid taking a sack there." Actual breakdown of the play and also as a teaching tool.
Imagine if instead of having to go into the replay menu the announcers and replay highlights why the outcome of the play happened. Hopefully we get some form of this in 17 especially since the name database sounds like it will be huge.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #160
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 17 Gets New Commentary Team Featuring Brandon Gaudin & Charles Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx4Sixx
The beginning of the trailer was actual in game sound. When he introduces the teams.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sounds like NFL on Fox Pregame, coincidentally Brandon sounds like Thom Brennaman, Davis' real life NFL on Fox broadcast partner. I made a post about this earlier in the thread comparing madden 17 to Thom on NFL on fox and they are very similar sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »