Home

Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

This is a discussion on Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #49
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
more AI false starts this year
That is something I'd like to see different within settings as well. With the way it is currently, false starts (and offsides/neutral zone) on both sides can only be triggered with a hard count. So if you never hard count then you'll almost never see either of them on offense. I'd like that to be changed so that they were a bit more random in nature.

One thing I forgot to add that I'd like to see as well is a lot tighter coverage on simulation settings. Windows are small in the NFL and I want to feel that. That's one of those global issues though that I don't think separate settings could really separate.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #50
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Some Madden NFL 18 Game Style Details Revealed - Arcade, Simulation, Competitive

Eventually, I would like to see this extend to the movement of players....especially QB's and DB's. There needs to be realistic momentum and planting with these positions.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #51
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm pretty excited about all of this. I think the first part of simulation mode, at it's core, should be making the ratings correspond to the real life game especially in terms of QB accuracy (especially under pressure), tacking, pass rushing, and other areas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #52
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
@KoolaidTheGreat @TheBlackPH03N1X I'm a sim player and I am averaging 4-5 INTs on competitive game style w All Pro difficulty.
Rex Dickson (@RexDEAFootball) May 13, 2017
Quote:
@jfsolo23 @KoolaidTheGreat @TheBlackPH03N1X My usual on simulation 2 per game. Reason: Lower drop INT chance on competitive. I get 3 bad reads per game that are dropped by LB's on sim
Rex Dickson (@RexDEAFootball) May 14, 2017
So this is an interesting tidbit. Rex hasn't yet answered the follow up question about whether or not the drops on sim style are tough INT chances that the LB just couldn't corral or if they are just wide open drops.

It seems that as of right now, sim players can get away with more mental mistakes. It's a conundrum, I want ratings to be respected, but I also want the toughest mental challenge.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #53
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

So I wonder if competitive basically just takes out the randomness aka ratings. So basically catch won't even matter. If it hits the hands it'll be caught no questions asked.

Isn't that what the competitive crowd wants?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #54
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
So I wonder if competitive basically just takes out the randomness aka ratings. So basically catch won't even matter. If it hits the hands it'll be caught no questions asked.

This pretty much falls in line with what I was expecting. No dropped picks or passes. More than likely fumbles only triggered by user hit sticks. Stuff like that.

The interception tweet is interesting because I think there are certain areas that definitely cross over in terms of simulation and competitive and I think that's one of them. If I'm throwing passes directly to players and making terrible reads, I should pay and pay often. That's pretty universal and it goes both ways. I don't want to be dropping a ton of picks or knocking down passes thrown right to my players but the key there is making the AI smart enough to make those opportunities hard to come by and having them come from things like pressure and/or bad ratings because right now they're entirely too common.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #55
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

I am also thinking along those lines, but would add that Competitive play would also be more about the user clicking on the player to make a catch, or clicking on nearest defender to make a better tackle, and also may have bonuses to usering a player.

Already in MUT there is a chemistry, and the actual chemistry and what it does escapes me, though I believe it has something to do with the player a user controls throughout the whole play has a greater chance of making an interception when given the opportunity.

Also, prior to M17's release it was stated that players who user catch and such will see a "slight" advantage in making a catch, for example, and I believe in the Simulation mode, these types of usering based bonuses will be removed and left for Competitive mode. But just my guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 AM   #56
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:

My thinking is that in competitive mode you'll get a heavy boost in your chances for success, but only if you master the controls.

To piggyback off the catching example - if you try an aggressive or RAC catch in triple coverage, you'll still get the ball knocked out more often than not (similar to what happens currently), but if you do a possession catch and the quarterback throws the ball accurately, you'll basically catch it regardless of ratings.

That's probably the simplest example, but I'm imagining target passing, the new RB moves from M17, and anything else highly associated with "stick skills" are going to be the focal points of competitive mode.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »