Home

NHL 24 Gameplay Features and Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on NHL 24 Gameplay Features and Trailer Revealed within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2023, 10:18 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 24 Gameplay Features and Trailer Revealed

The official NHL 24 gameplay trailer arrives tomorrow along with a deeper dive into the features...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2023, 11:29 AM   #2
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 24 Gameplay Features and Trailer Tomorrow

That’s what’s called a DEEP DIVE ?

It was more of a skinny dip in my opinion…. Haven’t learned anything new from what I saw in the Trailer… Again all that jumped out at me was these icons everywhere on the ice, the new players icons with stamina bars underneath the players… Yuck !

Gameplay wise, looks like everything they have done was to counter the online cheese and the "new" fatigue system doesn’t entice me one bit. I also saw lots of goalies flopping around 😳

I now know, I will wait for it to be free on Gamepass…
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)

Last edited by PernellKarl076; 08-30-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:31 AM   #3
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

https://youtu.be/JaT6YP6-rZU?si=XNAOActQnWZS72f0

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Game is 2-3 years away from being where it needs to be. Will be interesting to see where the game is(if it's still around) in 2025 and beyond.

There are some good changes, but still a lot of legacy issues/AI issues.

That Crosby goal in the beginning...wtf is the AI doing? The Toffoili goal...just what?

Goalies still go down too early and stay in the butterfly, the animations when they get scored on(go is scored after they flop, then the immediately suck into the butterfly animation), same stopping and starting as a player that looks unrealistic....

Entire game is just not worth $69.99. Definitely some decent, checking looks nice, button passing 2K had before and is nice to be in this game, glad they nerfed that backskating nonsense, but still a LONG way to go.

Wish they made the changes with the developers 2-3 years ago.

Last edited by csamuelsvt; 08-30-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #5
Flip That Bat!

Entiae's Arena

OVR: 9

I just don't get this franchise.

Hockey is my favourite sport but I genuinely can't remember the last version I bought on release day.

The clips they use in this video to highlight what they consider to be major positives... I just don't get it. It looks nothing like hockey. The players don't behave like hockey players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2023, 01:01 PM   #6
Rookie

jakeywakey911's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree, watching this the AI is just an absolute mess. They look and act nothing like pro NHL players. The Crosby goal in the beginning, everyone is just awkwardly standing around… no attempts to break up a pass, lift a stick, get on a body etc….. they look lifeless and lost.

It’s been this way forever and it’s sad. Hockey is such a dynamic sport, but this trailer just shows they clearly have no idea how to program the AI for this. It’s embarrassing. EA in general is just a joke with sports gaming AI.

Last edited by jakeywakey911; 08-30-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:06 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entiae
I just don't get this franchise.

Hockey is my favourite sport but I genuinely can't remember the last version I bought on release day.

The clips they use in this video to highlight what they consider to be major positives... I just don't get it. It looks nothing like hockey. The players don't behave like hockey players.
Absolutely agree, this gameplay doesn't look like hockey. Players turn around her own circle all the time. Skating looks sometimes not as a real skating style. The AI behave dumb. How many times during a game do NHL player dekes ? Very seldom ! In this game every grinder can do the Michigan. Funny for arcade play, but NHL Hockey ..... Looks more like pond hockey to me.
Old 08-30-2023, 02:08 PM   #8
Pro

So… to me it seems like the “exhaust engine” would be a good idea but it looks absolutely horribly executed

First, it fills up too quickly and it fills up arbitrarily based on zone time, not on ACTUAL pressure. If you’re winning board pins, generating shots, recovering loose pucks and genuinely hemming the other team in, that should generate “pressure” and create fatigue in the opponents.

Letting the D sit back and playing pitch from point to point until the meter fills doesn’t create pressure and shouldn’t lead to fatigue either. The idea that once the meter fills the other team magically becomes heavily hindered is silly - if they haven’t been chasing and grinding why would they be? Also if McDavid or Barzal is early on a shift and has been playing “defense” the way a cherry picking offensive talent often does, they’d still have good wheels if they managed to grab the puck. Right now it looks like once that pressure meter fills up, you’re gonna basically have to get to center and dump. I could be wrong, but it doesn’t look like a team that’s been hemmed in could break up a pass and have a guy like Barzal still manage to turn it into a breakaway the other way, which actually often happens in hockey.

Additionally, the fact that it creates a buff for 30 seconds is really silly. So if you fill the meter and keep them pinned in their own end for 45 seconds the buff actually wears off at 30? That’s the complete opposite of what would happen. What about PPs where the team manages to spend the fill 2 minutes in the offensive zone? All that tells me is that if the other team doesn’t manage to clear the puck before 30 seconds is up you’re basically guaranteed to score.

The goalie fatigue is a good idea too but just like the pressure meter, it looks like the goalies fatigue way, way too quickly. Hopefully sliders can adjust some of these things. And if they listened to the community on the bringing back hybrid controls, I really hope they listen on allowing us to turn off the pressure gauge. Some others adjustments look good. The one touch passing could add some nice goals that I previously would try to execute but the input lag on receiving a pass and firing another one would throw the play off so that it never worked out as a tic-tax-toe like real life. The hits look a bit better. Still not great, but the contact looks a bit more varied. Changes to vision control are welcome as well. And if we don’t see a lot of lacrosse goals I don’t mind it being button mapped. I only play offline so if the AI doesn’t abuse it, I certainly won’t be trying it more than maybe a couple times a season with appropriate players.

Overall, the exhaust engine’s execution looks like a FAR bigger flaw and negative than those potentially promising additions. The AI just looks lost in general as always, and the core gameplay is just stale. With no offline modes getting any updates there’s not a much for a player like myself to really hope for. Hopefully the creation zone itself has some nice improvements and they’ve unlocked some of the things we can edit on players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »