Home

Unfinished Business: Buffalo Bills Story (Madden 11 Franchise)

This is a discussion on Unfinished Business: Buffalo Bills Story (Madden 11 Franchise) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 16
Unfinished Business: Buffalo Bills Story (Madden 11 Franchise)

Nix out, Telford in as Bills GM
February 12, 2011

AP - Today, the Buffalo Bills are far removed from their "glory days" of the early 90s. After their 4 straight Super Bowl appearances spanning from 1990 to 1993, the Bills experienced an extreme fall from grace. Now, having not made a playoff appearance since the turn of the millennium, it is time for a change. A change geared towards not only a return to the Super Bowl, but to finish what they couldn't in the 90s.

Executive Vice President Buddy Nix has made the decision to hand the General Manager responsibilities over to Tony Telford*, a first-time GM, after interviewing several candidates. "We feel he makes up for his lack of experiences with his ideas and direction for this franchise," said owner Ralph Wilson. "We're really excited to have him on board."

After a 5-11 2010 season spelled a 6th consecutive losing season for Buffalo, there's really nowhere to go but up. Telford released the following brief statement: "The Buffalo Bills have some unfinished business, and it is my duty to see to it that they are once again a Super Bowl contender in the NFL."

* - used a random name generator

Editor's Note: In the coming days I'm going to work on how exactly I want to run this, as far as presentation goes. Also going to try fooling around with photoshop so this isn't as bland. Bear with me.

As far as settings, a combination of Playmaker's and Mike32Ownz's sliders tweaked to try and make it a little tougher, 15 minute quarters.

Simmed the 2010 season to get down to business

Some aspects of this franchise inspired by tomriddle's various franchises as well as downgoesfrazier

Last edited by bichettehappens; 06-24-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Unfinished Business: Buffalo Bills Story (Madden 11 Franchise)

2010 Season Recap: Notes
- The Bills finished 5-11 and will have the 4th pick in the upcoming draft.

- Free agent WR Antonio Bryant was signed prior to the season in an attempt to bolster a weak receiving corps.

- Free agent C Justin Hartwig signed to add O-line depth, eventually became the starter.

- In week 3, Buffalo traded RB Marshawn Lynch to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a 3rd round pick.

- Backup FS George Wilson was traded to the Cleveland Browns for a 4th round pick.

- HB Fred Jackson eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark despite being the starter for only half of the season. Rookie C.J. Spiller relinquished the starting job after an unimpressive start to the season averaging under 3 yards per carry.

- The 2010 season saw, to put it nicely, less than spectacular quarterback play from the trio of Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm. The lone bright spot, however, could be when Brohm had a 10/11 performance in injury relief. It should be interesting to see how Telford address the QB position.

- Defensive ends Marcus Stroud and Dwan Edwards each surpassed 10 sacks

- The Ravens beat the Saints in the Super Bowl

Last edited by bichettehappens; 10-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
MVP

"Top-Down" Changes Continue, New Staff In Place
Coaching staff overhaul Telford's first act

"With a new era of Bills football comes a new regime." After the firing of head coach Chan Gailey, along with offensive and defensive coordinators Curtis Modkins and George Edwards last week, Telford and Wilson introduced the new Buffalo coaching staff on Monday.

Head Coach - Dick Lebeau

After spending the last 7 seasons as defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Lebeau accepted the head coaching job in Buffalo. Lebeau previously served as head coach for the Cincinnati Bengals, leading them to a cumulative 12-33 record during his 3 season tenure. Telford explained, "I don't feel his record with Cincinnati was a reflection of his abilities as a coach, but rather a lack of supporting cast. We're hoping he will serve as a great motivator for our players and have our defense playing as sharp as the Steelers defense during his time with them."

Offensive Coordinator - Norv Turner

At the end of the 2010 season, the San Diego Chargers opted not to re-sign Norv Turner as head coach. Turner has been a well-traveled head coach and offensive coordinator throughout his career, and played a key role in the early 90s Super Bowl troubles of the Buffalo Bills as offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys. Telford hopes he can lead the Bills offense in much the same way as he did the Cowboys of old.

Defensive Coordinator - Ron Rivera

Another castoff from the Chargers' 2010 coaching staff, Rivera is expected to team with head coach Lebeau to craft a very physical, dominating defensive scheme. "Any time you put 2 of the better defensive minds in the game together on the same staff, you're expecting to have a top defense. I expect no less from these two." As coordinator for the Chicago Bears, Rivera led them to the Super Bowl with a top 5 defense in 2006.

Bruce DeHaven has retained his role as Special Teams Coordinator.

Last edited by bichettehappens; 09-17-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
MVP

Team Analysis - Telford's Take

From a radio interview with new Bills GM Tony Telford:

"To be honest, looking at this team, the 5-11 record from a year ago doesn't represent the level of talent here, in my opinion. I mean look at the depth at halfback, in the secondary, at middle linebacker, defensive line. We've got some real quality players here. Posluszny is one of the most underrated defenders in the league and Byrd is a bright young star as well. We've also got a foundation for a solid o-line with young guards Wood and Levitre.

If I had to pinpoint weaknesses that we're looking to address this offseason it would be QB, WR, O-line, LOLB, and overall depth. We're looking to create a team with a versatile dynamic that is difficult to gameplan against. I'm looking forward to putting the pieces together this offseason."
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
MVP

Free Agency Recap

Key Losses
QB Trent Edwards
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
FB Corey McIntyre
SS Bryan Scott
TE David Martin
WR David Nelson
MLB Keith Ellison
LT Demetrius Bell
RT Cornell Green
K Rian Lindell

Key Additions
QB Josh Johnson - To compete with Brohm and whoever else is added through the draft
HB Darren McFadden - Hoping to create a 3-headed monster out of the backfield
RT Brandon Keith - After losing the veteran Green, Keith was the best RT on the market
LOLB Thomas Howard - Some analysts feel the Bills overpaid for Howard, but LOLB was a glaring hole
MLB Gary Guyton - A speedy backer being thrown into an already solid MLB group
CB Zackary Bowman - Telford said secondary depth would be a big focus this offseason... Clearly he wasn't lying
CB Bruce Johnson - See above
K Mason Crosby - Solid replacement for Lindell, strong leg

UP NEXT - 2011 NFL Draft
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
MVP

2011 NFL Draft

Buffalo Bills Draft Order
Rd 1, Pick 4
Rd 2, Pick 4
Rd 3, Pick 2 (from TB)
Rd 3, Pick 4
Rd 4, Pick 4
Rd 4, Pick 17 (from CLE)
Rd 5, Pick 4
Rd 6, Pick 4
Rd 7, Pick 4

On the Clock - Rd 1, Pick 4 - Buffalo Bills

**TRADE UPDATE**
It appears the Bills have traded away their first round pick to the Cleveland Browns. Here are the terms of the deal:

Browns Get:
1st round pick (4)
6th round pick (4)
Conditional 2011 pick (1st or 2nd rounder)

Bills Get:
2nd round pick (17)
3rd round pick (17)
QB Colt McCoy

Telford's Take - There just wasn't anybody on the board in that range that we felt fit our system well enough to be worth the hefty contract. We also like what we see in McCoy and expect him to compete for the starting job with Johnson and Brohm in camp.

New Draft Order
Rd 2, Pick 4
Rd 2, Pick 17 (from CLE)
Rd 3, Pick 2 (from TB)
Rd 3, Pick 4
Rd 3, Pick 17 (from CLE)
Rd 4, Pick 4
Rd 4, Pick 17 (from CLE)
Rd 5, Pick 4
Rd 6, Pick 17 (from CLE)
Rd 7, Pick 4

Buffalo Bills Draft Picks
2-4 -- LT Vondray Neal, LSU

Neal is a raw talent at the tackle position. He's got the size and work ethic that scouts fawn over, it's just a matter of how quickly he can polish his fundamentals. This pick fills the biggest hole left on the Bills' O-line and will compete with Jamon Meredith for the starting role.

2-17 -- SS Lawrence Wilson, UTEP

Wilson will likely step in immediately as the backup to Donte Whitner. He could also be a standout on special teams due to his big-hit ability. Coverage skills could use refinement.

3-2 -- WR Jordunn Williams, Tulsa

Not seeing any value picks on the board, the Bills decided to draft for need on this one and might have reached a little too much. Williams is viewed as a project talent with high potential, it's just a matter of putting it all together and learning to run routes against NFL corners.

3-4 -- WR Khamari Dansby, UNLV

Dansby's stock in the draft was likely so low due to him playing at UNLV. Perhaps the fastest player in the draft, there is no bigger playmaker in his class. He is a little rough around the edges though and could stand to improve his hands and route running.

3-17 -- LE Deontae Knight, Elon College

Another player whose stock is hindered by playing for a lesser known school. The Bills likely could've picked him up in the next round, but had no other available player ranked higher on their draft board at this point in the draft. This reach could pay huge dividends.

4-4 -- RT Bobby Curl, SMU

There appears to be a recurring theme of taking small school project talents in this draft by the Bills. Curl will likely step in as the backup to Brandon Keith right away.

4-17 -- ROLB Logan Ellis, UCLA

Ellis looks to be a special teamer his rookie season. The Bills like his speed and upside but with Maybin the incumbent it's going to be hard for him to see much time, barring injury or a strong training camp.

5-4 -- TE Torri Bonner, N. Colorado

The Bills and offensive coordinator Norv Turner envision Bonner as an Antonio Gates clone in their offense. His route running needs refining but he could quickly emerge as a top young tight end in the league. Not much of a blocker, though.

6-17 -- FB Trip Allen, Towson State

Known in college as a gamer, the Bills are hoping he brings that hard-nosed tenacity to Buffalo as a lead blocker for their RB trio. Likely will begin the season as the starter, replacing Corey McIntyre.

7-4 -- CB R.T. Smiley, Washington State

Enticed by his speed, Smiley will likely serve as nothing more than a special teams player and extra secondary body. More of an athlete than a defensive back.

Last edited by bichettehappens; 09-17-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
MVP

2011 Draft Recap

Buffalo Bills - Scout Draft Analysis
2 (4) LT Vondray Neal -
Spoiler

2 (17) SS Lawrence Wilson -
Spoiler

3 (2) WR Jordunn Williams -
Spoiler

3 (4) WR Khamari Dansby -
Spoiler

3 (17) LE Deontae Knight -
Spoiler

4 (4) RT Bobby Curl -
Spoiler

4 (17) ROLB Logan Ellis -
Spoiler

5 (4) TE Torri Bonner -
Spoiler

6 (17) FB Trip Allen -
Spoiler

7 (4) CB R.T. Smiley -
Spoiler

UPDATE
The Buffalo Bills have come to terms on an agreement with former Saints free safety Usama Young. He will likely serve as the backup to Jarius Byrd.

Last edited by bichettehappens; 10-02-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

This is great!

I like the layout. Some may think the NFL.com graphics are great, but I'd rather do a more simpler approach TBH. It saves a lot of time and my photoshop trial is running out, so I may try something like this for my next franchise. Plus, it looks very clean! Awesome job.

Seeing the draft day trade, you didn't want their first rounder? You gave up a 1st, 6th and a 1st or 2nd 2011 pick for a 2nd, 3rd and their 2nd round choice from last year. Just wondering if there was noone you wanted in the 1st round?

Maybe it was a good deal, you did after all get one of the best college QBs in history with some good early round picks.

Nice draft though! I won't look at overalls since I don't wanna spoil myself and like finding gems and busts alike lol.

I also love Lebeau getting a HC job. I picked him for my Brown's franchise last year, which was very fun.

I will def. follow!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »