Home

Any American more interested in soccer because of FIFA?

This is a discussion on Any American more interested in soccer because of FIFA? within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Any American more interested in soccer because of FIFA?

Is FIFA a good ambassador for what many in the nation see as the "girly/boring/sissy" foreign game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Any American more interested in soccer because of FIFA?

I think people play it, realize it's fun to play and that then gets them interested in watching the actual sport.

It happened to me years and years ago. I was rather apathetic about the sport until I played FIFA with friends who loved it and that made me want to learn more about it. That eventually took me to where I am now which is caring more about it than I ever have about any other sport.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

It had the opposite effect on me. I realize that the game of soccer is much worse then I originally thought. It did make me research the game, clubs and players. I even realized I have a soccer sports channel on tv.

I play though because ea can't make a real football game and it doesn't disappoint me nowhere near as bad as other series I've played.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

do south americans count? :P

it's so funny you americans saying soccer is girly/sissy. few years ago, any girl playing the sport here in brazil would be taken as lesbian/shemale. and they still have no clue (well... marta has).
Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

Also, the more I learned about the sport, the more it made me dislike FIFA because it's a terrible representation of the sport. This year is an improvement, but if you start with FIFA and then go to the real sport, you'll think the game is slow.

If you start with the real sport and then play FIFA, you'll think it's an arcade game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
#nouss

WyxHarmon's Arena

OVR: 18

This is me currently.

Got into it from a bunch of friends playing on my school's team, played Winning Eleven 7 at my friends house, had the money, bought FIFA 12.

Getting more and more interested every day.
Ravens

73 - 72
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Jagz82's Arena

OVR: 0

It has definitely made me more interested in soccer. One of my friends makes fun of me at times about loving the sport lol. I was literally not interested in soccer at all. Then I started dating a woman from Ireland, then married her. The time I spent in Ireland really made me appreciate the game more, then throw fifa in the mix and the rest is history. I play fifa more than any other game. I too discovered the Fox Soccer Channel and I watch as many games as I can without annoying the wife ;-)
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

It absolutely made me more interested in soccer.

Before I was one of those 15 minutes of soccer fans (you know the typical American).

Those 15 minutes was the only time every world cup that the U.S. team had a shot at the cup.

Then I got FIFA.

Last world cup, I watched ever single game that Uruguay played until they got eliminated (why in Chicago did I get only their games?).

Now, I'm even interested slightly in MLS teams. Maybe someday I'll actually follow the MLS and watch some of the games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »