Home

cannot lead passes whatsoever, especially downfield

This is a discussion on cannot lead passes whatsoever, especially downfield within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
cannot lead passes whatsoever, especially downfield

in madden 13, i could pretty much throw the ball wherever i wanted to on the field.

i'll agree that WRs reacted too well to being re-routed, but just the ability to throw into wholes in the defenses kept me able to play safe with the ball.

now? you try doing that to anybody running more than 15 yards down the field, it routes the ball right into a defenders hands. i don't get it. even leading a receiver even further when running a simple streak underthrows the ball.

what's killing me is that i unconsciously keep trying to lead passes because i'm trained to use the feature from legacy madden/2k. i can't shorten and lead inside to throw inside a defender. i can't lead to throw over. also, the sensitivity for touch passes on the controller is terrible as well. too many passes for some reason turn into bullets, especially when trying to lead.

this kills the game.

also, playing ps4, QB also has around 65 awareness, 78 accuracy, if that matters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: cannot lead passes whatsoever, especially downfield

Awareness and accuracy do matter for that ability.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 7

Even in 13 you couldn't. This is something that's been plaguing Madden for years and accuracy and awareness at the highest levels dont change that. You can't really place the ball anywhere you want. Not like the "other" old game which actually had total control.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Your deep accuracy, throw power and timing as well as stepping into the throw all play into effect on this.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

There is an issue where it is far more difficult to lead than in previous maddens and in other games. I would like to see a few more overthrows than so many underthrows all the time. This leads to a ton of interceptions.

I don't need to complete deep passes on every play, but when I have a guy wide open, and my QB hangs it every time where a DB can make up 5-10 yards and pick it off, it becomes frustrating. When a WR beats his man off the line, I have to typically rifle the pass in to him within the first 10-15 yards, and then he gets caught.....but at least it's not a horribly under thrown deepball that is picked or "dropped" by the defender.

This needs to be tweaked. Deep passes happen in the NFL that are behind the secondary and no DBs can catch up. It happens. But not so much in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I think we all agree that player interaction needs to be improved, and that definitely includes the long pass play interaction and ball trajectory...But in teh NFL the long pass play isn't that common; a long pass being 25 yards or more...

The following link gives big pass and run play percentages...pass is 25+ yards..****n play 10+ yards.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...atistics/2013/
Old 11-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I think we all agree that player interaction needs to be improved, and that definitely includes the long pass play interaction and ball trajectory...But in teh NFL the long pass play isn't that common; a long pass being 25 yards or more...

The following link gives big pass and run play percentages...pass is 25+ yards..****n play 10+ yards.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...atistics/2013/
That site only shows the plays that end up going for over 25 (or 10 for rushes) yards not the attempts. According to PFF all but 7 QBs attempt at least 10% of their passes >20 yards downfield and the success rate varies depending on personnel (so far this year the range is 23-63% completions) which is something madden has always struggle to show.

Just from my own experience twice in the last day i've had receivers beating their man by 3-4 yards and had one pass intercepted and one pass knocked down due to underthrows. I always use the Panthers and I've yet to see Cam overthrow a receiver which happens several times a game irl.

Last edited by bc21045; 11-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc21045
That site only shows the plays that end up going for over 25 (or 10 for rushes) yards not the attempts. According to PFF all but 7 QBs attempt at least 10% of their passes >20 yards downfield and the success rate varies depending on personnel (so far this year the range is 23-63% completions) which is something madden has always struggle to show.

Just from my own experience twice in the last day i've had receivers beating their man by 3-4 yards and had one pass intercepted and one pass knocked down due to underthrows. I always use the Panthers and I've yet to see Cam overthrow a receiver which happens several times a game irl.
There are definitely issues in the way Madden handles the deep pass, as well as the coverage system...

I looked up deep pass stats on PFF and the top 10 QB's were between 43% and 60% which makes sense because the attempt at the long passes was between 9% and 16% of passes tried with an in air travel distance over 20 yards; thus suggesting to me that deep passes are attempted when the odds are well in the favor of the passer to receiver to complete the pass.

What I also found interesting on the same page was the completion percentage of QB's when considering passes that were on target but dropped...When the "drop" is considered in, the QB completion rating is between 74% and 80% for the top 10 QB's...This statistic has me considering that the reason Madden sees so many higher than average completion ratings is because receivers catch too many passes; they are not catching "a lot" more than they should; I believe we are talking maybe 2 or 3 balls a game or so that should be drops..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/abo...s/#DeepPassing

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »