Home

New to NHL 14 Be a GM Mode

This is a discussion on New to NHL 14 Be a GM Mode within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
New to NHL 14 Be a GM Mode

Hey everyone, I'm new to Be a GM Mode and hockey in generally so I have a couple questions to ask. 1. What's the best way to scout. Right now I usally send my scout to Canada since they always have the most prospects. Is there a reason to scout elsewhere? 2. Juniors, CHL, and AHL. What does it league do? I heard Juniors is good for developing prospects but I usually just sign my draft picks immediately and let the computer send them wherever. Should I be doing something different? So I guess to put it simply what should I know about being a GM of a team?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Rookie

RedVikings's Arena

Re: New to NHL 14 Be a GM Mode

1. You pretty much nailed it in that searching the leagues with the most players will mathematically give you the best odds of finding a good player, though when you get into the later years i hear its kinda random... when drafting I just go off names I know or their projection

2. the CHL is generally where players go when they aren't eligible for the AHL due to age. What I usually do in regards to my AHL is to give a young player top line minutes. I would rather put a 22 year old 73 overall prospect on the first line in the AHL than a 35 year old 69 overall player...
Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Rookie

TommyWizard's Arena

The one thing I would recommend would be to follow a GM series from 2bcproductions on youtube.

Watch it from start to finish and you'll pick up on everything you need! But apart from that, I am more than happy to help if you need it. RedVikings crossed off well there but if you need more just post here or send me a PM and I'll help you out
NASCAR: Kasey Kahne
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Rookie

it takes some time for a new player to learn the little things, if you have any questions feel free to post them here or to send me a PM with any big or small questions
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #5
Rookie

Another question, what do you do with really low overall players with high potential? I have this A. Pepsin guy who has a 4 and a half gold star potential but he's a 53 overall at 20 years old. What should I do with him? Also is there any value to picks 4th round or later? No one good every seems to come from them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Rookie

as far as low overall/high potential players, I usually don't even sign them until they are set to become free agents as it takes up a roster spot... if he is under contract there isn't really much you can do but try and give him AHL time

and with 4th round picks or later... it depends on the year, I have had years that nobody drafted after round four was worth it, but sometimes you can find sleepers who end up with high potential and could turn out to be good
Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 3

While drafting, what do you guys look at? I just did my first draft, and I basically completely ignored their projected round and drafted completely on who had the highest potential stars. Not sure if thats the way to do it or not. i am running my Avalanche dynasty and just keeping everyone in system and not signing any free agents, just want to draft and then bring them along (not sure if that is the way to go either but I'm not a big free agency guy in my sports dynastys)
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
While drafting, what do you guys look at? I just did my first draft, and I basically completely ignored their projected round and drafted completely on who had the highest potential stars. Not sure if thats the way to do it or not. i am running my Avalanche dynasty and just keeping everyone in system and not signing any free agents, just want to draft and then bring them along (not sure if that is the way to go either but I'm not a big free agency guy in my sports dynastys)
That's pretty much what I do.

OP, do whatever you want. I've done it all ways, doesn't make a difference. Besides, half the fun is trial and error.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »