Home

can anyone get aces in top spin 4

This is a discussion on can anyone get aces in top spin 4 within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
can anyone get aces in top spin 4

just wondering if anyone can get an ace or has been aced on ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: can anyone get aces in top spin 4

I average 2-10 per match. Another guy in here said he had 56 in one match before he decided to return the game because it was too easy to serve. And I usually get aced a few times per match.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I've only had one or two aces so far on hard against the CPU, but I usually get aced once or twice a match.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 9

does it happen on nomral
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

I'm the guy who scored 56 aces, and it was on "very hard." So, yeah, you can get aces on "normal." I loved several aspects of the game, but the serving was dumb. My advice is to avoid trying to master the advanced serving mechanism with the thumbsticks, because it's not that hard to do so. (The OS reviewer is just plain wrong on that one...guessing he didn't spend much time with it.) It only took me a couple hours to become so familiar with it that it wasn't any fun anymore, and I'm by no means a gaming pro.

On the other hand, you can still get a few aces by using the buttons. Nowhere near 56, but I had as many as 7 in a match. Naturally, it's all predicated on button timing and pushing the thumbstick in the right direction at the right moment. My best success came with using 'X' and spinning it away from the opponent.

You'll get a LOT more oomph using just the thumbsticks, which is enticing, but the fun factor wears off when you realize you just hit ten aces in a row. I only wish I could do that in real life, because chances are good I'd be a household name.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallberries
I'm the guy who scored 56 aces, and it was on "very hard." So, yeah, you can get aces on "normal." I loved several aspects of the game, but the serving was dumb. My advice is to avoid trying to master the advanced serving mechanism with the thumbsticks, because it's not that hard to do so. (The OS reviewer is just plain wrong on that one...guessing he didn't spend much time with it.) It only took me a couple hours to become so familiar with it that it wasn't any fun anymore, and I'm by no means a gaming pro.

On the other hand, you can still get a few aces by using the buttons. Nowhere near 56, but I had as many as 7 in a match. Naturally, it's all predicated on button timing and pushing the thumbstick in the right direction at the right moment. My best success came with using 'X' and spinning it away from the opponent.

You'll get a LOT more oomph using just the thumbsticks, which is enticing, but the fun factor wears off when you realize you just hit ten aces in a row. I only wish I could do that in real life, because chances are good I'd be a household name.
So you mastered the timing and art of consistently hitting the far corner or the T flat out? Do you mix in any spins for aces? What player would you get your results with, was it all Roddick or something?

I swear there are a handful of times per match I serve a great one up the middle in the box and the CPU calls a fault. Once I even got a replay and it was very clearly in, not even on a line. Anyone else see that?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
So you mastered the timing and art of consistently hitting the far corner or the T flat out? Do you mix in any spins for aces? What player would you get your results with, was it all Roddick or something?

I swear there are a handful of times per match I serve a great one up the middle in the box and the CPU calls a fault. Once I even got a replay and it was very clearly in, not even on a line. Anyone else see that?

Thanks.
Yes, mastering the timing and positioning of your thumbsticks for both out wide and down the line is the key.

I used a created player, lefty, 5'9" (like me, lol) and built him up to about level 18 before I sold off the game. His serve rating was around 80. In the deuce court, I'd serve either a slice ("X") or a flat ("A") serve down the T with the thumbsticks. (If you use just the buttons, I'd recommend going with just the slice serve, as it gives a little more separation and the flat serves just aren't as effective with the lesser pace.) In the ad court, I'd go almost always out wide with a 120+mph flat serve , although the slice also did the job (again, YMMV if using the simpler button scheme). I really never liked using the topspin serve...it's just not very effective or meaningful in this game since aces and placement are so easy.

Now, the key to using the thumbsticks? As soon as you toss the ball with the right thumbstick, wait a split second before pressing the left thumbstick completely in the direction that you want the serve to go and let off of it at about the same time that you hit the ball (at the peak of the toss) with the right thumbstick. Seriously, that's it. It'll take a little time to master the feel of that "split second" and coordinating the use of both thumbsticks, but once you do, you'll be pumping out ace after ace.

Some people have said, "Great, but you'd never be able to do that online." Maybe, maybe not (I dunno, I never tried), but I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to return them, not when I'm accurately hitting 120+ serves out wide or down the line whenever I want. They'd be at the server's mercy on every point. I mean, you can only do so much to return something like that, like guess and move before contact.

Like I said in an earlier post, my advice is that you master, and play only with, the button scheme, because, by going down the path of advanced serving, you'll initially love the results but soon grow tired of the ease wherewith you achieve them. It's a very fun game except for that. I personally wish I had never discovered advanced serving.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallberries
Yes, mastering the timing and positioning of your thumbsticks for both out wide and down the line is the key.

I used a created player, lefty, 5'9" (like me, lol) and built him up to about level 18 before I sold off the game. His serve rating was around 80. In the deuce court, I'd serve either a slice ("X") or a flat ("A") serve down the T with the thumbsticks. (If you use just the buttons, I'd recommend going with just the slice serve, as it gives a little more separation and the flat serves just aren't as effective with the lesser pace.) In the ad court, I'd go almost always out wide with a 120+mph flat serve , although the slice also did the job (again, YMMV if using the simpler button scheme). I really never liked using the topspin serve...it's just not very effective or meaningful in this game since aces and placement are so easy.

Now, the key to using the thumbsticks? As soon as you toss the ball with the right thumbstick, wait a split second before pressing the left thumbstick completely in the direction that you want the serve to go and let off of it at about the same time that you hit the ball (at the peak of the toss) with the right thumbstick. Seriously, that's it. It'll take a little time to master the feel of that "split second" and coordinating the use of both thumbsticks, but once you do, you'll be pumping out ace after ace.

Some people have said, "Great, but you'd never be able to do that online." Maybe, maybe not (I dunno, I never tried), but I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to return them, not when I'm accurately hitting 120+ serves out wide or down the line whenever I want. They'd be at the server's mercy on every point. I mean, you can only do so much to return something like that, like guess and move before contact.

Like I said in an earlier post, my advice is that you master, and play only with, the button scheme, because, by going down the path of advanced serving, you'll initially love the results but soon grow tired of the ease wherewith you achieve them. It's a very fun game except for that. I personally wish I had never discovered advanced serving.
I spent some time playing around with this last night, just to see. My baseline offensive player has 77 points in serve and 82 power. I got the timing down the way you describe, but was not getting many aces. I did have more consistent service games though as I was able to put my opponent (D jokovic) on the defensive pretty much right away on most points (hard difficulty). I ended up winning in two sets by scores of 4 and 4.

I won't say I got to be absolutely perfect with the timing, but I got very, very consistent overall with the placement and timing both, with a few off timed efforts. I still think some serves clearly in up the middle are being called out, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »