Home

Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Available Now, Trailer Included - Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Available Now, Trailer Included - Post Your Impressions within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #57
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Available Now, Trailer Included - Post Your Impressions

After trying out the demo, I am very pleased with what I've seen so far, and will most likely be buying it on day one. It isn't all rosy, and there are a couple of issues for sure, but I am really enjoying the game.

The speed is a tad bit too fast with respect to player movement, and the locomotion needs more momentum and realism added, but it's EA so this isn't all that surprising. With that though, the animations are still quite good, the player models are very nice looking, ditto player faces, and the gameplay with the Right stick is fun, intuitive, and fairly well done. With some more tweaking it could be really special.

As far as the stick goes, there needs to be more variations in ball placement and more penalties for really going for the lines. I feel sometimes like there is only about 3 different angles that I can hit the ball, even though there should be multiple angles within about a 170 degree or so window. I also feel like it's too hard to hit a shot that doesn't end up on the court. Like TS4, it has the timing mechanic, so I understand that if you hit it with good timing that the shot has a better chance of being good, but when that isn't coupled with more shot angles to add that risk reward, it becomes more arcadey after you've gotten the timing down. The timing isn't as unforgiving as TS4 either, which is both a good and bad thing.

The AI is also good without being cheap. The AI seems to make smart decisions based on solid Tennis, and honest hedging as opposed to reading my mind. The one complaint with the AI I have is that i is a little too perfect. Playing even on Amateur difficulty, the AI had almost no unforced errors (which plays into my previous point about how hard it is to hit the ball out for either AI or human) and I have yet to see the AI not get a serve in, in ANY game. And I've played many games of the demo so far and the AI's first serve % is ALWAYS 100%. That needs to be fixed in a major way.

The commentary is a very welcomed addition as well. Although there wasn't a lot of it in terms of volume of lines (I'm hoping that was due to it being a demo and a lot of it being left on the cutting room floor in favor of a smaller download) what was there, seemed very well done. The dialogue flowed well and was fairly conversational (although there were a few times where Mac wouldn't chime in for long stretches, but again, could be because it was just missing lines in the demo) and there were even a few lines that Mac delivered where he stumbled over his words a little bit which added to the feeling that this was a real broadcast and not a recording done until it was perfect. Player names were strangely absent from commentary as they just kept saying the player instead of calling them by name, but again, etc, etc...

Overall I found the game to be a pretty good mix of fun and simulation. Like I said before though, with some tweaking to try and add more sim to the mix, it could be quite special indeed.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #58
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2 Demo Available Now, Trailer Included - Post Your Impressions

The game is fun but hopefully their is some sliders to tailor the gameplay to each one's liking I would enjoy alot more SIM than what I have played thus far. Sort of like what NBA2k does have an Arcade, Default, and Sim settings with a full set of sliders. As of right now the game is way to much Arcade but if it comes with a full set of sliders to tweak the gameplay along with the ability to create/edit alot or all the players it could become great.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #59
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

This seems to have a lot of potential. It'll be a part of the season ticket deal right? Obviously can't get the demo to where I want it since there's no options.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #60
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

I played the demo and enjoyed it i've been looking for a good tennis game on ps3 after I didnt like top spin 3 bc it was dang hard to just hit the ball. This is a good game to play with friends when they come over. I'm anxious to see how much the career will get me. Its the not kind of game I'm gonna spend 60$ on, so i'll wait till it drops to about 30 and get as part of a buy 2 used and get 1 free.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #61
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Its the not kind of game I'm gonna spend 60$ on, so i'll wait till it drops to about 30 and get as part of a buy 2 used and get 1 free.
Not sure if it matters or not,but according to Gamestops website,the game will retail for 49.99.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=1...+Slam+Tennis+2
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
Not sure if it matters or not,but according to Gamestops website,the game will retail for 49.99.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=1...+Slam+Tennis+2

That's good that will it should start selling used at 45$ right off the bat
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
I haven't bought a tennis game at all this console generation, and I'm getting my butt kicked in the demo ... but I'm loving it! I've been waiting for a game to come out to convince me to pick up a PS Move, and if the Move controls translate as well as the Dual Shock does, this may just be the game to get for me!

EDIT: I went and downloaded the Top Spin 4 demo, and I like the gameplay in that title more. Like others have stated, in GST 2, it seems as if the players skate around the court. It reminded me of NBA 2K12, an aspect I hate the most about that particular game. I definitely want to get a tennis game for a change of place, but at this point, I'm leaning more towards TS4.
I tried the Top Spin 4 demo for the first time this weekend and tell you the truth I liked that much better than EA's offering myself.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I like it, but I have no idea how to beat anyone that goes to net.

It seems that once they go to net, I can't hit a shot past them and if I lob, they always get to it and just slam the ball past me.

Is there something I'm supposed to be doing while lobbing? It just floats in the air, and I can't for the life of me get the ball to slice around the line (I know this is a hard shot in real life, but I'd like to at least try to attempt it) so that it can pass by the volleyer.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »