Home

Top Spin 4; I'm terrible, help.

This is a discussion on Top Spin 4; I'm terrible, help. within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Top Spin 4; I'm terrible, help.

So, I recently bought Top Spin 4 and iv'e realized how bad I am at this game.

Playing on Normal I noticed something was a bit off, the AI was just completely too easy to win against.

I bumped up to Hard and it was game over for me. The AI usually beats me in strait sets, and i'm lucky to get one point during a match. It seems like their are no unforced errors by the CPU, but as we all know from last nights great Aussie Open final, even the best in the world commit MANY unforced errors.

Can anyone help me with tips and advice on how to win at this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Top Spin 4; I'm terrible, help.

Try using different types of shots in different situations. For example, if you're chasing a ball far off of the court, use a slow shot (a slice or a lob) to give yourself time to recover. Likewise, when your opponent is running far off the court, always use a power shot to finish off the point. Also, used advanced serving if you aren't already. It makes it much easier to win your serve games.

As far as unforced errors go, my opponents usually make a noticeable amount of them. I just got done playing 3 setters on hard difficulty against Blake and Federer, and they had 13 and 11 unforced errors respectively.

Hope this helps
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

make sure you move back behind baseline after most of your shots..positioning is very impotant in the game like real life

like above metioned use control shots to open court and power into a wide open court...topspin when you arent moving into the ball and flat (angles and down the line) when you are set up well

try to push opponents back with deep balls then use your angles when they are far behind baseline and you get a ball you can handle

most importantly, you have to get the timing down
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

One thing that has currently helped me, is starting to hold in the button right when the opponent hits the ball. IRL tennis, you're supposed to split step when the opponent hits the ball, so this is in essence what he's doing. Also, follow the directionals. Usually go cross court, but if there is a short ball, hit it up the line. All approach shots should go up the line. Find the opponent's weakness and exploit it.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
So, I recently bought Top Spin 4 and iv'e realized how bad I am at this game.

Playing on Normal I noticed something was a bit off, the AI was just completely too easy to win against.

I bumped up to Hard and it was game over for me. The AI usually beats me in strait sets, and i'm lucky to get one point during a match. It seems like their are no unforced errors by the CPU, but as we all know from last nights great Aussie Open final, even the best in the world commit MANY unforced errors.

Can anyone help me with tips and advice on how to win at this game?
Not sure if you have online access, but make sure you have the latest tuner update downloaded, it should download automatically when you start the game while connected to Live or PSN. I see a decent amount of unforced errors from the CPU on Hard and Very Hard after the most recent update. If you are playing it out of the box with no tuner updates there are very few unforced errors.

What it comes down to more than not is getting the hang of timing your swings to get "Good" or "Perfect" timing on most of them. This will allow you to place your shots where you want and get the maximum power on charged swings which is one of the keys you will need to win.

Some other tips

-Learn to read what kind of shot is coming back at you and how to deal with each type.

• If it is an easily returnable ball, most times you want to hold down the normal button and power shot it back.
  • If it is a ball you have trouble getting to, tap any button rather than charging it to help ensure you dont return it out of play.
  • Also, pay attention for the slice shot, as you want to avoid trying to return these with power shots as that often causes you to hit it out.

-I always try to return serves to the opponents backhand side so they cant follow up with a power accurate forehand winner. The slice shot works pretty good as a return for tough to get serves. Otherwise try charging the normal button and releasing it earlier than usual to get good timing on returning serves.

-It helps when trying to place shots to either side to also hold down to create a tougher angle for the CPU to deal with.

-Play to your players strengths and exploit your opponents weaknesses. Check the stats for your player and the CPU before the game and try to tailor your play style a little towards what they are good at.

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »