Home
News Post

What is up with the weather. High 70's one day, the next it's 30. Weathermen call for rain, it's sunny, they call for clear skies, we get dumped on. Have I mentioned how I love weathermen? Worthless...

After reading that hands on GTA4 article at Kotaku, I can barely control myself. Maybe I'll actually get more than a few hours of gaming time out of this version.

What's up with you?
  • QOTD: Who is the best athlete in the world?
Happy Birthday to the following OS'ers!

rgsj3 (35), LnknPrk2420 (25)

Member Comments
# 21 SPTO @ 04/03/08 12:55 PM
BTW for those talking about Tiger being the most dominating ever. Yes, there's a point to that but Tiger's competition isn't nearly at the level of what Jack Nicklaus had to face throughout his career. Jack started off as Palmer's upstart rival then had guys like Lee Trevino, Gary Player, Tom Watson, etc etc. Those guys could give Nicklaus fits and when Nicklaus had a dry spell of what, 8-9 years without winning a major it wasn't necessarily because he was "slumping" but rather because the competition was so great.

Tiger has only had Vijay Singh and Mickelson for a short while. Let's also not forget to mention how everyone said Sergio Garcia was going to be Tiger's rival for a decade....Well Sergio imploded and is only a so-so golfer.

The competition level was a LOT higher in Nicklaus' day IMO.

# 22 Scott @ 04/03/08 01:00 PM
Well you can't really blame Tiger for lack of competition though.

# 23 TJdaSportsGuy @ 04/03/08 01:03 PM
What's up?

We recorded a new Waiver Wire podcast yesterday. If you're interested in listening, all the info on how to get it is here:

http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=245232

QOTD:

Tyler Hansbrough, duh!

# 24 SPTO @ 04/03/08 01:05 PM
That's true but level of competition should play some role in determining his status. I don't think he'd be nearly as god-like if he played in Nicklaus' day. That's my point.

# 25 rspencer86 @ 04/03/08 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Well you can't really blame Tiger for lack of competition though.
Plus, it's not fair to compare the number of serious competitors between Nicklaus' 25-year career and Woods' 11-year career. During Nicklaus' first 10 years or so, who were his competitors? A declining Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, and maybe Lee Trevino? More serious competitors will develop over Woods' next 10-15 playing years, and the "competition" argument will be about equal.

# 26 Herbsinator @ 04/03/08 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
BTW for those talking about Tiger being the most dominating ever. Yes, there's a point to that but Tiger's competition isn't nearly at the level of what Jack Nicklaus had to face throughout his career. Jack started off as Palmer's upstart rival then had guys like Lee Trevino, Gary Player, Tom Watson, etc etc. Those guys could give Nicklaus fits and when Nicklaus had a dry spell of what, 8-9 years without winning a major it wasn't necessarily because he was "slumping" but rather because the competition was so great.

Tiger has only had Vijay Singh and Mickelson for a short while. Let's also not forget to mention how everyone said Sergio Garcia was going to be Tiger's rival for a decade....Well Sergio imploded and is only a so-so golfer.

The competition level was a LOT higher in Nicklaus' day IMO.
Say what you want about lack of competition today, but the stats Tiger is putting up are just ridiculous. He wins like 25 percent of the time. That is absolutely absurd. You just don't win that much on the PGA tour. Nobody has ever done that. There are still A LOT of great golfers on tour and I'd say the tour is probably as a deep as it has ever been. Anybody on tour can go out and put up a 63 like it is nothing.

The distance between Tiger and Phil is greater than the distance between Phil and the last place person on the list (#1000). If that isn't dominance then I don't know what is.....

# 27 funky_chicken @ 04/03/08 02:06 PM
QOTD - Living and in his prime Wayne Gretzky

Current - Tiger Woods

# 28 SPTO @ 04/03/08 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Plus, it's not fair to compare the number of serious competitors between Nicklaus' 25-year career and Woods' 11-year career. During Nicklaus' first 10 years or so, who were his competitors? A declining Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, and maybe Lee Trevino? More serious competitors will develop over Woods' next 10-15 playing years, and the "competition" argument will be about equal.
We'll see, i'm not discounting Woods i'm just saying let's wait at least another 5 years before we proclaim him the greatest who ever hit a golf ball.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.