Home
News Post

Xboxfront has posted a gameplay video from NBA Live 09.

Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 edubbs @ 07/31/08 11:02 PM
Game looks much better than 08.

However, the net animations are still horrible though.

# 22 Behindshadows @ 07/31/08 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2k8 CHAMP
D*** I can't wait for Live 09 and 2k9
No doubt, I can't wait to get both of them and start my Dynasty and my Association.

# 23 blingballa333 @ 08/01/08 12:07 AM
Are they ever going to get the net animations right???! I mean jesus for me that takes away from the experience. I see a nice crossover and floater and then the ball goes through the hoop as if its a watermelon, it is very irritating.

# 24 bateman11 @ 08/01/08 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
Are they ever going to get the net animations right???! I mean jesus for me that takes away from the experience. I see a nice crossover and floater and then the ball goes through the hoop as if its a watermelon, it is very irritating.
Couldn't agree more. That's probably my biggest issue right now.

Things I really like about Live:
Footplanting, Passing, Court Spacing, and not being forced places you don't want to go.

These are all better than 2K. Live has issues with passes being 'floaty', yes. But, did you see where Conley broke down Parker and kicked to Gay? Conley's pass was sharp and gay didn't have to move five feet to catch it. Unlike 2k where Gay would have had to run to catch the ball and would have had to set his feet. And the court isn't spaced enough so the defender would have caught up with him and partially blocked the shot.

For court spacing, just look at the Parker/Oberto pick and roll. Look how much room Parker had to operate without other player's defenders getting in his way.

All I am saying is, Live with better animations and signature moves is just as good as 2K. Sorry, but its the truth.

# 25 blingballa333 @ 08/01/08 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Couldn't agree more. That's probably my biggest issue right now.

Things I really like about Live:
Footplanting, Passing, Court Spacing, and not being forced places you don't want to go.

These are all better than 2K. Live has issues with passes being 'floaty', yes. But, did you see where Conley broke down Parker and kicked to Gay? Conley's pass was sharp and gay didn't have to move five feet to catch it. Unlike 2k where Gay would have had to run to catch the ball and would have had to set his feet. And the court isn't spaced enough so the defender would have caught up with him and partially blocked the shot.

For court spacing, just look at the Parker/Oberto pick and roll. Look how much room Parker had to operate without other player's defenders getting in his way.

All I am saying is, Live with better animations and signature moves is just as good as 2K. Sorry, but its the truth.

# 26 bateman11 @ 08/01/08 12:21 AM
Explain why?

# 27 younggrease @ 08/01/08 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateman11
Explain why?
the whole engine in Live is screwed up, there are no release points on shots, the postt game is herky jerky, the rim looks like ten feet wide and the players look like stretch armstrong. It just doesnt have a good feel to it.

I really want to buy Live because the DNA thing sounds awesome but I cant deal with the issues that it still seems to have. It looks outdated even compared to 2k8.

# 28 bateman11 @ 08/01/08 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by younggrease
the whole engine in Live is screwed up,
there are no release points on shots, False. This has been taken care of in 09.
the postt game is herky jerky, I can agree somewhat, although you have much more control here compared to 2K.
the rim looks like ten feet wide and the players look like stretch armstrong. Ball is pretty small compared to the rim. Atleast the rims are the right color, though
It just doesnt have a good feel to it.

I really want to buy Live because the DNA thing sounds awesome but I cant deal with the issues that it still seems to have. It looks outdated even compared to 2k8.
I can see where you are coming from. Especially since the way past lives have turned out.

# 29 SageInfinite @ 08/01/08 01:46 AM
I like the animations. Like I said before. Live MIGHT be as good as 2k8 now. I still have to play it but there are some really nice animations they've added this year. Jumpshots still look awkward and the net animations aren't done well. The game looks alot more natural now tho.

Dude was a cheeser 4real tho. Live will get a rent just like it has for the past couple of years now. Hopefully I'll finally have two NBA games to play now.

# 30 DubTrey1 @ 08/01/08 02:05 AM
looked good so far, but - looks like they still have a ways to go before this title can contend with the likes of 2k. That being said, graphics alone are awesome and the animations seem to be really coming together for them....Heading in the right direction it seems. Finally

# 31 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/01/08 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
That Iggy animation was nice even though he did kinda clip through another player to pull it off... the fall afterwards was perfect and looked amazingly nice.

Overall though, kinda disappointed... still had that odd jerky quality to it. I'm sure whatever cheeser was playing didn't help because he was always doing weird crossovers and constantly driving into traffic, but the post-up engage and drive animations were snapping in a lot it seemed like, and the few jumpers that were shows still looked awkward..

Hmm, on 2nd viewing, those snap-ins are definitely there and take away from the overall look... but the off-ball animations, pick-and-roll system, and the dunks/layups all looked solid. That pick and roll looks especially nice -- you can see the pickee struggling to get past and it seems like it will really open up the mid-range game.
Don't be disappointed man. I think it's the video that's why it's kinda jerky right now. 2nd, that dude is probably playing in rookie mode that's why he was able to use the crossover effectively.

If people plays live right, it looks good. I love the animation to be honest with you. I can't wait!

# 32 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/01/08 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
Thanks! See, it's a lot smoother with better video. Can't wait!

# 33 slvicick @ 08/01/08 02:18 AM
Layups look pretty good, but some of them just made the D slide out of the way.
Falldown animations are NICE!
Jumpshots look terrible to me.... so does the ball/rim/net interaction.

Way better than last year, but still doesn't look to play as good as 2K7, let alone 2K8

# 34 bigeastbumrush @ 08/01/08 07:37 AM
Day 1 purchase for me.

The one that did it for me was Gay falling down on the fadeaway jumper. He didn't just fall. It's almost like he tried to keep his balance and stumbled twice but still ended up falling. So damn sweet.

And Iggy's reverse layup off the glass. Haven't seen that since Live 05.

One thing that I really like is the hesitation on the crossovers. Look at Gay's second drive to the basket where he dunked it. He starts his crossover but does a hesistation/head fake. That is so fluid it's scary. EDIT: It's a 01:01 of the video on the baseline. It's so crazy it looks like a carrying/palming violation.

Unless the CPU can get into the lane like those guys were, I'm not worried.

# 35 Muzyk23 @ 08/01/08 07:44 AM
Passes still suck, the ball is still too big, I'm shocked, because it looks nothing like the E3 gameplay that Walton was commenting - they are like two different games.

# 36 Muzyk23 @ 08/01/08 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Day 1 purchase for me.

The one that did it for me was Gay falling down on the fadeaway jumper. He didn't just fall. It's almost like he tried to keep his balance and stumbled twice but still ended up falling. So damn sweet.

And Iggy's reverse layup off the glass. Haven't seen that since Live 05.

One thing that I really like is the hesitation on the crossovers. Look at Gay's second drive to the basket where he dunked it. He starts his crossover but does a hesistation/head fake. That is so fluid it's scary. EDIT: It's a 01:01 of the video on the baseline. It's so crazy it looks like a carrying/palming violation.

Unless the CPU can get into the lane like those guys were, I'm not worried.
these are your reasons to buy the game?!

# 37 Tomba @ 08/01/08 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
looked good so far, but - looks like they still have a ways to go before this title can contend with the likes of 2k. That being said, graphics alone are awesome and the animations seem to be really coming together for them....Heading in the right direction it seems. Finally
thats what amazes me. it's looking like its finally coming togtehr for them ina fifa madden way as far as animation branching!

# 38 Behindshadows @ 08/01/08 09:27 AM
As I continue to see this thread grow, I get more disappointed in OS members. I’ve been here for so many years, and now I see all these new accounts of people trying to turn this into a 2ksports forum, which was over taken by children. And are also becoming the bash nation of EA sports, I know it kills a lot of you to give this new dev team some honest appreciation for the turn around they’ve given this series.

And its so bad, when you get post of people knocking it as a none purchase for Net animations, and for a guy who is obviously playing the game in this video, just to show off the smoothness of the ankle breaker and things like that. He’s not a cheeser and who cares what the difficulty is on. He’s just trying to show animations! When I create my gameplay videos, I’m always trying to do stuff that will show off moves and things like that. Mainly trying to get that highlight reel.

But man some people on here are saying oh its not better than 2k8 and blah, blah, blah. I love 2ksports, but seriously Live 09 looks exactly like I was expecting and wanting. To have those same great graphics from 08 with improvements, and the smoothness of the 2ksports basketball. And that’s what is presented here, a game that is just as smooth, with stadiums just as alive, with the Normal Live look! They are not trying to be 2ksports, they are trying to be EA Sports that’s who they are.

Also to knock this team for the downfalls of Live 06 and 07 is just as pitiful, I know a bunch of you don’t do research before criticism, but its not the same dev team who made those games. Everyone is basing this Live off of the previous games. The team who damaged those aren’t here anymore. Give this new team some respect and professional criticism instead of all the childish and petty things. Because let’s be honest, none of you are developers or graphic designers who can do any better, so why jump on another man’s work because they net isn’t swooshing to the left. I mean seriously!

In the thread above this or a few up, someone complaining we haven’t seen any gameplay videos with teams other than Celtics / Lakers. Then they post one and you complain about that one. Someone even said the pace of the game was too fast! Are you serious, it has a flow period now, and it flows with smooth animations and movement. Didn’t know that was a problem!

I download the high quality video, and honestly I like what I saw, except for the Iggy move where he goes through the player to get that falling up and under. Going through players will have to be touched up, in the final stages.

Other than that, can’t wait to see more, and I hope these guys continue to do good work and bring this series home.

Finally after a few years, this is a definite purchase on day 1 along with 2k9. Yes I said 2k9, but in a positive notation to Live. Meaning Live is looking equally great to the competition. I just can’t wait to see what 2k brings to the table. Either way Live is definitely a purchase, not a rental, and not a wait on the demo. Demo’s suck, we’ve learned that from past history. Where they are very misleading to the final product!

# 39 bateman11 @ 08/01/08 10:17 AM
^ Excellent post my brother.

# 40 HoosierDaddy @ 08/01/08 10:32 AM
Good post, my only gripe is basic problems. I call it like I see it, a few things (like I mentioned in the previous post on this thread) are my only gripes. I fully give credit and recognition to the dev team and the hard work they put in this game this year. You can see that appreciation in my posts here and over at the EA boards.

To everyone else's defense, most are merely pointing out issues that need to be addressed with the occasional fanboy coming in and sharing their 2 cents -- ignore them and move on.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.