Home
Madden 09 News Post

The Madden NFL 09 patch #2 has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 driftwood @ 09/23/08 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy71
I got the patch this morning. Loaded my saved franch. (yr.2 pre-season) it still froze when I tried to sim the first preseason week......

well they did say you wouldnt have to restart franchise for the progression to take effect, but they never said that about the freezing... so i assume you may need to restart your franchise in order to fix the freeze glitch...

just my thought...

# 102 CM Hooe @ 09/23/08 09:34 AM
Played a quarter, and only a quarter, before I go out for class, so take these impressions as you will. Cowboys vs Redskins.

---computer definitely takes longer to snap the ball, and will sometimes change the play before the snap. I imagine better QBs will make more changes.

---maybe just me, but there seems to be a better commitment to the run by the computer. In the first quarter Clinton Portis has 6 carries. The effectiveness of the run appears the same though; he only has 14 yards and a fumble so far.

---definitely more holding penalties, but: they were only called against me, on first down, and at that only when I called a playaction pass or a passing play out of the shotgun formation. One of the times though, the computer did bring a mad blitz, so a holding play there isn't too far out of the question.

---obviously can't notice field degradation in only one quarter, and I think Dallas has fieldturf anyhow so it wouldn't degrade anyway.

# 103 driftwood @ 09/23/08 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydaman4
progression/regression is there.

im simming franchise with the texans and i seen some of my texan players progressed/regressed the first season. for example dunta robinson had an awful year, only grabbing 1 INT and got knocked down a rating. mario williams only had 2 sacks and got knocked down a rating. jacoby jones led the team in catches and went up 6 points. ahmad green went down a point eventhough he didnt play a down.

regression is there but the most ive seen a player regression was 3 points and it was a punter. ive seen some other players regress a point due to old age.

peyton manning still a 99 at age 35

remember though, payton is more than just a 99... hes well over a 99 based on his attributes... so even though he may be losing some of his AWR, or throwing PWR... alot of his other stuff is still high enough to keep him at 99... same with brady & others...

btw... regression is nice, but not to the extent that old vet get ruined... ill hate it when donald driver starts getting slow & less agile in the game... cause that dude is a physical freak & is still as athletic @ his age, as he was when he first came into the league... same with guys like TO... hopefully regression wont render them useless in a couple franchise years...

# 104 davidandjordan @ 09/23/08 09:35 AM
I would say that too, except I'm sure I can go to any of these threads and find a random EA dev. saying, not in reference to only progression, that we won't have to restart our franchises. I may go ahead and start one anyway and just go very slowly, because I really can't take it anymore. I just want to play franchise mode!

# 105 countryboy @ 09/23/08 09:40 AM
I would think that you would have to restart your franchise mode if you were experiencing the freezing because your save file would be "corrupt" with the issue thats causing the freezing.

Just my thoughts.

# 106 SoxFan01605 @ 09/23/08 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I would think that you would have to restart your franchise mode if you were experiencing the freezing because your save file would be "corrupt" with the issue thats causing the freezing.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah, that was my thinking. Hopefully Ian or Phill will be on here later and can clear some of that up.

# 107 SeaNNyT @ 09/23/08 09:43 AM
I can understand making AI QBs on offense taking a bit longer, but why on earth would they add this to extra points and punts as well. Just a terrible oversight. TERRIBLE.

# 108 mercalnd @ 09/23/08 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidandjordan
I would say that too, except I'm sure I can go to any of these threads and find a random EA dev. saying, not in reference to only progression, that we won't have to restart our franchises. I may go ahead and start one anyway and just go very slowly, because I really can't take it anymore. I just want to play franchise mode!
I think whatever they patched was for the franchise file corruption (which then caused the freezing) not to occur anymore. Therefore, it would not work on already corrupted franchise files. I understand your frustrations though.

# 109 callmetaternuts @ 09/23/08 09:45 AM
Great impressions so far. Liking what i hear about the CPU snap and the progression/regression. Keep it coming for those of us stuck at work!

# 110 spydaman4 @ 09/23/08 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
remember though, payton is more than just a 99... hes well over a 99 based on his attributes... so even though he may be losing some of his AWR, or throwing PWR... alot of his other stuff is still high enough to keep him at 99... same with brady & others...

btw... regression is nice, but not to the extent that old vet get ruined... ill hate it when donald driver starts getting slow & less agile in the game... cause that dude is a physical freak & is still as athletic @ his age, as he was when he first came into the league... same with guys like TO... hopefully regression wont render them useless in a couple franchise years...
hes still has an awareness of 100 at 36

but overall im satisfied with the progression/regression system. im ready to start my texans dynasty

# 111 SoxFan01605 @ 09/23/08 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydaman4
hes still has an awareness of 100 at 36

but overall im satisfied with the progression/regression system. im ready to start my texans dynasty
I'm actually okay with that. It's not like he gets hit a whole lot, so awareness shouldn't go down as much as physical skills. He should be seeing a steady regression in things like speed, elusiveness, agility, etc. That's just my opinion though. At least there does seem to be regression as well as progression now

# 112 countryboy @ 09/23/08 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNNyT
I can understand making AI QBs on offense taking a bit longer, but why on earth would they add this to extra points and punts as well. Just a terrible oversight. TERRIBLE.
my guess is that its plugged into all cpu plays. I agree its going to get annoying on extra points.

# 113 ps2mike @ 09/23/08 09:58 AM
started up new franchise with the jaguars froze in 1st quarter with about 2 minutes left ugh. field looks great. players no longer run out of bounds thank god. seems that the cpu get's more pressure. running game seems about the same. i have no problems getting big yards running. cpu seems to play the passing game alot better. cpu still play calls horrible on offense and they can't punt well or even kick field goals decently

# 114 Beardown @ 09/23/08 10:00 AM
Reading this thread is reassuring. I got up early this morning so I could download and play half a game before heading out to work. I played the first half of Bears vs. Redskins in a play now game. The one thing I was watching for was penalties being increased so I left my sliders at all 100, pre-patch settings. The Redskins (CPU) had 14 penalties in the first half, the Bears (me) had a grand total of 1. I even tried faking the snap while on offense ten times in succession to see if I could get anyone to jump and both the offense and defense just sat there like statutes. Hopefully this was a complete anomaly that I will never experience again.

On a positive note the CPU hit the FB on the sideline on a dump off and he proceeded up the sideline and not out of bounds. That was a joy to see.

Going to be a long day at work reading all the impressions, keep them coming.

# 115 Derty PuDge @ 09/23/08 10:01 AM
about to get the patch let me ask this, if i'm still in year one and haven't had freezing isssues should i be able to continue on now with the patch and be good or will they still occur in year 2? cuz right now i'm in the NFC title game.

# 116 ps2mike @ 09/23/08 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derty PuDge
about to get the patch let me ask this, if i'm still in year one and haven't had freezing isssues should i be able to continue on now with the patch and be good or will they still occur in year 2? cuz right now i'm in the NFC title game.
most likely you'll have to restart your franchise. from what i've been hearing if your previous save is freezing prior to patch 2 and you install patch 2 and then load your franchise it will freeze again.

# 117 Derty PuDge @ 09/23/08 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2mike
most likely you'll have to restart your franchise. from what i've been hearing if your previous save is freezing prior to patch 2 and you install patch 2 and then load your franchise it will freeze again.

no no no, i HAVE NOT had a freezing issue yet.

# 118 driftwood @ 09/23/08 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2mike
started up new franchise with the jaguars froze in 1st quarter with about 2 minutes left ugh. field looks great. players no longer run out of bounds thank god. seems that the cpu get's more pressure. running game seems about the same. i have no problems getting big yards running. cpu seems to play the passing game alot better. cpu still play calls horrible on offense and they can't punt well or even kick field goals decently

iirc in-game freezing was not fixed...

but the issues during franshise mode were...

thats how i see it... & thats fine with me... id rather lose progress on one game during a freeze than an enitre franshise not continuing during a feeze...

# 119 Ruddy Hell @ 09/23/08 10:11 AM
Blast, and I've just managed to sneak the Raiders into the playoffs with a 9-7 season on year 1. Back to the drawing board.

Incidentally I take it the patch is up and running in the UK?

# 120 Brandwin @ 09/23/08 10:14 AM
I played a real quick game before work (3 minute quarters) here are some quick thoughts.

CPU quick snap –
- The time it takes the computer to snap the ball varies. I have seen as short as about 4 seconds and the longest was 13 seconds (unless running a two minute offense, they snapped it within a 1 second on me)
- It might be just me, but it seems like the computer sends guys in motion quite a bit now, had me adjusting my defense. I never noticed computer players going in motion before, someone correct me if it was there before the patch.
- Computer seems too audible at the line too. Came out in a singleback formation with two tight ends and QB called an audible and went one TE slid into the slot.
- Plenty of time to make defensive adjustments now.
- I was wondering how the computer would handle snapping the ball down the stretch when behind and for the most part they seemed to do a good job. It took no more then 3 or 4 seconds max for the computer to snap the ball once the QB got under center. A few concerns though. I don’t know how it was before, but I never saw the computer run out of bounds to stop the clock in this situation (computer only had one timeout left). Also, while running no huddle they would come up to the line and the computers QB would audible into the fake snap play and they did this two times in a row, completed the last one with like 7 seconds left, rushed to the line and got the ball snapped with a second on the clock. They didn’t try to audible in that situation, so that’s good.

Field Degradation –
-Field got muddy and looks good. I am wondering, does the field get beat up during non rain games or is it only for games with rain?
-For those asking how come your players are not getting dirty when using super sim, someone already mentioned, you have to play the game to see that happen. Play a game with 1 minute quarters and check it out. It’s there still.

Penalties-
I saw 3 holding calls, 1 offsides and 1 defensive pass interference. This is with the sliders maxed out at 100 and once again, just three minute quarters (one quarter I let the computer play while I was getting ready for work, so there could have been more)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.