Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has posted an article that talks about NBA 2K9's Team-Up mode, not fixed by the patch.

Quote:
"One of the supposed fixes in the patch for NBA 2K9 was to make the 5 on 5 Team-Up mode playable. The mode has never worked properly having been inflicted with crippling lag (the worst I’ve ever experienced), disconnects, and frustration. I was concerned with the wording in the patch details and wanted to see how much it improved the performance. Two months after release would Team-Up mode actually function properly and deliver what was advertised?

The short answer to that is no. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to play it with very little success. The only games I was able to load into and play involved only a couple other users. There was no success with 7 or more users involved. Here are a couple of the instances I experienced and a few thoughts on it."

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Chris Smoove @ 12/05/08 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Yes, that's exactly it. Or maybe it's because you can't fix the fact that some people with bad connections can ruin everyone's online gaming experience. Everyone is not ALWAYS going to have a perfect 5 on 5 experience every time they try to start a game... that's an unrealistic expectation, and 2K said nothing of the sort. You can't always finish a game or have it be completely lag-free all the time in Madden or any other online game either... that's the nature of online gaming.

Some companies and games can handle these issues better than others, but it's generally the behemoth games like Gears, Halo, Madden, etc. who have insane amounts of resources invested into them that run perfectly online. 2K simply isn't that scale of game and 2K isn't that kind of company, even with Take-Two backing them.

Maybe 2K should change the way their servers handle games, but I imagine that they would've gone the EA route if they had the resources.
so you're saying they dont have the resources. ok, well if they dont have the resources then why offer something that they KNOW they cant handle?

thats true that everyone is not always going to have a good 5 on 5 experience, but that doesnt mean that 90% of the time it should be a TERRIBLE experience

# 42 mvb34 @ 12/05/08 05:19 PM
Quote:
Yes, that's exactly it. Or maybe it's because you can't fix the fact that some people with bad connections can ruin everyone's online gaming experience. Everyone is not ALWAYS going to have a perfect 5 on 5 experience every time they try to start a game... that's an unrealistic expectation, and 2K said nothing of the sort. You can't always finish a game or have it be completely lag-free all the time in Madden or any other online game either... that's the nature of online gaming.

Some companies and games can handle these issues better than others, but it's generally the behemoth games like Gears, Halo, Madden, etc. who have insane amounts of resources invested into them that run perfectly online. 2K simply isn't that scale of game and 2K isn't that kind of company, even with Take-Two backing them.

Maybe 2K should change the way their servers handle games, but I imagine that they would've gone the EA route if they had the resources.
Again blind love, had the other game have these same issue they would have been burn at the stake..

# 43 Stumbleweed @ 12/05/08 05:23 PM
Haha, I give up. I criticized this game extensively pre-patch and still have issues with it, but the Team-Up experience is not one of them. Again, I'm willing to put aside some of the game starting issues because the actual experience is so quality and I much prefer not being able to start the game than starting a lagfest that drops you after 10 wasted minutes.

I like all three games and have criticized 2K a lot this year, but I love 2K blindly. Yep, your skills of deduction are flawless.

Smoove, I don't have a horrible experience 90% of the time. Keep throwing things against the wall hoping they stick, even when contrary evidence has been presented from multiple credible sources. I'll work on that video and maybe we can dead some of this, because it's getting ridiculous.

# 44 Pared @ 12/05/08 06:06 PM
Don't even bother, Stumble. Posting video proof is not going to make a difference. The complaint will switch to something else.

And mvb trolling? Shocker. In other news, the sun will set later this evening. Early word is it will rise again tomorrow morning.

# 45 Pared @ 12/05/08 06:33 PM
Grief... I just tried 5v5 for kicks and played a half of 5 on 4 with no lag on the 360.

# 46 Stumbleweed @ 12/05/08 06:43 PM
Come on Pared, stop lying to the people. We all know this mode is COMPLETELY BROKEN and is a terrible experience 95% of the time.

# 47 NINJAK2 @ 12/05/08 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Don't even bother, Stumble. Posting video proof is not going to make a difference. The complaint will switch to something else.

And mvb trolling? Shocker. In other news, the sun will set later this evening. Early word is it will rise again tomorrow morning.
Co-sign. Don't even bother with the task of posting video footage. This is not some training ground for used car salesmen therefore it is not your job to convince someone to buy what you are selling. If they don't believe you then that's on them. People should spend more time playing the games they like than complaining about the one's they don't..imo.

I understand if you are posting video's to help the game company get better, but it comes a time you got to just state your complaints and move on from the game.

# 48 spankdatazz22 @ 12/05/08 07:22 PM
Quote:
I actually laughed out loud when I saw him come outta no where

# 49 Pared @ 12/05/08 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Co-sign. Don't even bother with the task of posting video footage. This is not some training ground for used car salesmen therefore it is not your job to convince someone to buy what you are selling. If they don't believe you then that's on them. People should spend more time playing the games they like than complaining about the one's they don't..imo.

I understand if you are posting video's to help the game company get better, but it comes a time you got to just state your complaints and move on from the game.
Exactly.

Now I didn't finish the game, because I had to play a friend in FIFA, so I have no idea if that one comment about the 4th quarter rings true. But I tried immediately after reading this post and was able to connect to a ranked 5v5 game without issues. It was 5v5 and one guy dropped right when it connected. 3 guys on my team had headsets.

Damn 2k apologists.

# 50 BroMontana82 @ 12/05/08 08:13 PM
Quote:
Exactly.

Now I didn't finish the game, because I had to play a friend in FIFA, so I have no idea if that one comment about the 4th quarter rings true. But I tried immediately after reading this post and was able to connect to a ranked 5v5 game without issues. It was 5v5 and one guy dropped right when it connected. 3 guys on my team had headsets.

Damn 2k apologists.
ok, gameplay and lag may or may not happen for various reasons...but first lets focus on trying to even get into a game. everyone on here: try creating an un-ranked team up game. this is where you get the problems. unless things changed from last night, you'll probably get the "could not join lobbies at this time" message several times. so far, no one's really addressed this issue...everyone's commenting on the lag. yeah, obviously if someone's downloading a "wet teens 76" bit torrent, the game is going to lag.

# 51 bears5122 @ 12/06/08 12:43 AM
Quote:

Oh please, every other company is capable of doing multiplayer online. Even small companies. This isn't some crazy new technology, it's been around almost a decade.

Take-Two is just cheap and doesn't want to live up to its promises. If they can't handle it, they shouldn't sell it as a feature. They shouldn't lie to people and tell them some patch is going to fix it. I like their games and have been a huge supporter of them over the years. But they spit in the face of their loyal fan base this year with the 5-on-5. They are no longer a company that can be trusted with their listed features. They go into the same corporate pile as EA.

It's sad to see so many people cutting them slack. If this was EA who did this, just about everyone here would be irate.

# 52 bears5122 @ 12/06/08 12:45 AM
Quote:
That is very true, Stumble.

If just one person has a bad connection it will drag the entire game's connection down with it. It's just the nature of the system and out of 2k's hands.
What are you talking about? Every other game can take deal with bad connections from certain players. How is it out of their hands? Maybe the should hire some competent people from other companies who have been doing this for a decade to fix it. Doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone else but them.

# 53 bears5122 @ 12/06/08 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankles
Team-Up works fine. I've played about 6 lag free games since the patch.

It is now OS's responsibility to take down this falsity. What Pasta Padre wrote about simply isn't true.
Maybe it works for you, but a ton of people are unable to play a lag free game.

# 54 Brooklynnets24 @ 12/06/08 01:57 AM
Quote:
Team-Up works fine. I've played about 6 lag free games since the patch.

It is now OS's responsibility to take down this falsity. What Pasta Padre wrote about simply isn't true.
Im having the same problems as pasta padre....and so are many other people

# 55 Stumbleweed @ 12/06/08 04:24 AM
I'll have video before too long. Got one game that I wish I could've recorded.. it started too fast, but it was 5 on 5 until 1 guy dropped. Ran silky smooth and nobody else dropped. I had video from another one that ended up as 4 on 4 (ended up deleting it to record the newer one)... The video I ended up with was my 4th smooth game of the night where I hit the game-winner with Kevin Love.

All were great games, two went down to the last shot, and NO LAG in any of them. There were two instances of the countdown screen, for about 15 seconds worth due to two people dropping (the "*username* has dropped" message came up). I had no issue creating the games either, they all started right up within 15 seconds, no countdown screen or anything. I had to leave several times because the lobbies were kind of dead (6 or 7 people in a room), but other than that (and some of the idiots getting 3-second violations), it was a perfect experience.

I'm on a wired cable modem via router with my ports forwarded and my NAT open. Maybe that's your problem, I don't know what else to say. Video will be up sometime in the morning, I just gotta edit it and upload it.

# 56 thunder008 @ 12/06/08 07:43 AM
why doesn't someone just make a POLL? the truth will be in the numbers. it's obvious some have no problems and some do. I think it's premature for pasta padres to write an article claiming to speak as the know all for every person's 5on5 experience.

# 57 Pared @ 12/06/08 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder008
why doesn't someone just make a POLL? the truth will be in the numbers. it's obvious some have no problems and some do. I think it's premature for pasta padres to write an article claiming to speak as the know all for every person's 5on5 experience.
That's exactly the point half the people here are missing.

Some here are claiming that it works. It's still a bit spotty and no one is disputing that. But it does work, with 10 people, despite the claims of some.

Those saying that it doesn't work are speaking in terms of absolutes. Maybe they've had issues, but because they have issues the entire thing is broken.

Trying to discuss this with some here is a joke. It's broken according to them and there's no reason for discussion unless you want to agree with them.

Ok.

# 58 Pared @ 12/06/08 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
What are you talking about? Every other game can take deal with bad connections from certain players. How is it out of their hands? Maybe the should hire some competent people from other companies who have been doing this for a decade to fix it. Doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone else but them.
People have been playing 5 on 5 basketball games with no lag for a decade?

And here I was thinking NBA Live was the first to include it last year and it was a bit revolutionary. Silly me.

# 59 spankdatazz22 @ 12/06/08 12:07 PM
The need to make ridiculous over the top statements because a person can't convey a view properly runs rampant here. "The [mode] doesn't work as well as I'd expect it to" doesn't have quite the bite that "they spit in the face of their loyal fan base this year with the 5-on-5" has.

Someone would really have to explain to me why this mode garners such emotion, because I'm not a big online player. You'd think people were discussing online itself, but it's an individual mode that's being discussed. And it's a secondary online mode at that; I could see if this was head to head play. But there's no mention of the depth of the online leagues, of h2h play, of the other online gameplay modes which apparently run w/o major issues. But since this one isn't flawless, it's issues get overstated/blown out of proportion by some. Perhaps in the future this mode will live up to it's potential. But I doubt it, because I think the overall immaturity of the relatively small user base will always limit it (larger online fanbases like Halo or COD have the same issues but have a much larger pool online players imo). For now I just don't understand why this mode garners such venom from some. Then again it usually is the same guys complaining

# 60 Pared @ 12/06/08 12:45 PM
Quote:
He may have been talking about online games in general with large numbers of people playing at once.... which doesn't really have any connection to a completely differently run type of online sports game.
I know what he was referring to.

In those games, poor connections are dropped. What's the point of playing a 3 on 3 if two of those connections are poor and those guys get dropped? How many people can honestly say they stay and play a 3 on 1? Every single game I've played unranked pre-patch ends up with guys dropping if it isn't even, including games we've played with each other.

Hell I've left games where people are playing like they're idiots. Seeing someone run around never releasing the turbo button with Kobe, TJ Ford, Chris Paul, etc. gets old really fast.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.