Home
News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their exclusive first look at MLB '09: The Show, including some new screenshots.

Quote:
"Think A-Rod chokes in the clutch? Ever shout "Dodgers suck!" or yell "Drewwwwwww" when J.D. walks up to the plate? MLB 09 is about to bring out the crazed fan in all of us as not only can you record your voice screaming anything from "Where's Madonna?" to "we want a pitcher not a belly itcher" and put it in the game thanks to peripherals like the Rock Band mic and wireless headset, the fan yells will sound like your voice actually coming from the stands. You can even assign the recordings to be part of a chant and your voice will be put through a new process so that it sounds more like a crowd chanting "over-rated" and not just a single person yelling."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 nemesis04 @ 12/19/08 04:22 PM

Back in the day High Heat used an actual picture of this vantage point in magazine ads when they were advertising their game. I used to remember saying to myself, imagine if games actually looked like this. That time has come! That picture is incredible.

# 82 Altimus @ 12/19/08 04:24 PM
A night game without all players wearing long sleeves!

Looks and sounds great so far. Is it spring yet?

# 83 countryboy @ 12/19/08 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
A night game without all players wearing long sleeves!

Looks and sounds great so far. Is it spring yet?
it is here in the Louisville area, its freakin' 70 degress outside and sunny.

# 84 jrivera34 @ 12/19/08 04:38 PM
If SCEA gave me just Franchise 2.0, I would pay $100 for this game. Everything else is just AMAZING extras! This game can't come out fast enough.

I just hope my family doesn't miss me too much when the game comes out :-)

# 85 bodhiball @ 12/19/08 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Two things that I want and I will be very happy. Being able to change any players stuff like cleats, gloves, mits and sun glasses. I hope that makes it in this year or next year.

I know its early, but from the looks of the screens (and the video I wasnt supposed to see) I dont think they added any accessories in, or the option of changing colors.

# 86 LL-Cool-P @ 12/19/08 05:04 PM
Preview looks awesome.

Can't wait

# 87 Cusefan @ 12/19/08 05:10 PM
This game looks freaken real...

# 88 firktaf @ 12/19/08 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

By the way, I have a question about this screenshot:

Now I'm no pitcher, but I've done some pitching as well as coaching, and I can't for the life of me think of a situation when a pitcher (Kazmir) would cover third base for a play. I understand backing up the play on a base hit to right with a runner on first (or fly ball to right with a runner on second), but never actually covering the bag. Not only that, but it looks to be the first baseman in that shot since there is no one else at first and he is making an offline throw (which I think is incredible to see after a few too many perfect throws last year). So the play is coming from that side of the field, which seems appropriate enough... but I don't see this as a cut-off play unless it was originally to home, in which the pitcher should be backing up home. I'm just trying to think of what scenario this would be.

Does anyone know exactly what kind of situation would warrant this? Just curious.
The only situation that I can think of where Kazmir would cover third is if Tampa Bay had an infield shift on(like they did in the World Series for Howard and Utley) and there was a soft-mild grounder to the right side of second base forcing the short stop to get the ball and the third basemen would go and cover second. Thus, leaving third base for Kazmir.

Now, it should also be noted that the first basemen is not in the shot. So I think this may be a posed shot...unless he would've gone to back up home. The cutoff guy, imo, seems to look like Bartlett(or possibly Longoria) and, shift or not, I don't think they would ever be in that position for a cutoff.

....And now that I've put all this down, could it possibly be that, for the play, there was someone on first and then there was a deep shot from Victorino, the first basemen went to backup home, then Longoria was pulled into the field to be the cutoff for home, and that left Kazmir to cover third? Then, the play at home wouldn't have been close, so after cutting off the throw, Longoria turns and throws it to third? I know that this isn't the way a play like this is supposed to be defended but I could see it playing out this way.

# 89 The Management @ 12/19/08 05:43 PM
Seriously though. PS3 Home has the body proportions right, it shouldn't be that hard to adjust them.

# 90 countryboy @ 12/19/08 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
are you serious with that 70 degrees talk!? I'm in Green Bay, and it's like 25 and we got 8 inches of snow...enjoy your weather while you can....it's coming your way! haha
I'm not kidding. 2 days ago we were under a winter storm warning, today, I am looking for Spring Training games on the television and arguing with any calendar that tells me its December.

# 91 countryboy @ 12/19/08 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management
Seriously though. PS3 Home has the body proportions right, it shouldn't be that hard to adjust them.
its been stated that they run into issues while trying to change the player models.

# 92 nnyanks1 @ 12/19/08 06:24 PM
everything looks great, but i have two problems with the yankees screenshot.

1- the outfield wall in the new stadium are not gonna be light blue(might be wrong)

2- the scoreboards on the outfield walls are suppose to be manual scoreboards not digital like it shows in the pic, other than that everything looks awesome!!!

btw is it just me or do the players look more realistic?? saw the first pic and i thought that was a real pic of the WS.

# 93 Russell_SCEA @ 12/19/08 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub
A couple questions that someone more technologically inclined than I can hopefully answer (well, the first one)

1) Do I need a Sony mic/headset to record stuff for the game? Can I just use the random mic I have for my CPU? If not, where do I buy said mic

2) In-Game MLB Live Scores -- Gamers will get up-to-date reports on what is going on in the Majors including scores and notable status, such as HRs, complete games, etc.

Boo no dynasty ticker
Kolbe and some others tested out many different usb headsets and all of them worked. Also bluetooth headsets work and so does the mic from rockband.

# 94 sa012 @ 12/19/08 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
"There is also a cool Roster Vault option where gamers can create their own custom rosters and upload them online for other gamers to use."

This feature will bring this game down the path of legendary status. The roster guru's here on OS will absolutely have this game bursting at the seams with realism.

Does this mean we can use those uploaded custom rosters online?????

# 95 The Management @ 12/19/08 06:39 PM
08 The Show

# 96 countryboy @ 12/19/08 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Sounds/looks incredible.

BUT... I do have one gripe.

Those player models still look the same (weird shoulders, etc). I thought they were redoing those?

I can live with it either way, but thought I shoudl bring it up.
the new player models were not put into the game this year due to complications.

# 97 countryboy @ 12/19/08 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management
I find that hard to believe figuring the level of customization in the faces. Someone obviously thought the body proportions were fine in 06, no need to change them in 07, still looking good for 08.. one more year? Why not.

In my opinion it's inexcusable. Still my favorite game but it's rather annoying that the body types on Triple Play 98 are perfectly proportionate. And I'm pretty sure I had working collision detection in Mlb 2k3 as one of my favorite pastimes was running into the pitcher or first baseman.

'06 wasn't on the PS3, '07 they ran into some trouble and the game didn't release until May, '08 was a short dev cycle due to the complications of '07. They wanted to change the player models this year, but ran into trouble while doing so and decided to wait until next year to implement them.

My guess is that they had so much on the plate this year that they decided it wasn't worth the precious time trying to get the player models to work and decided to move on.

And I haven't seen it stated anywhere that collision detection is not in the game.

# 98 Russell_SCEA @ 12/19/08 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Again, they wanted to change the player models this year but ran into complications. Look for them next year. And I haven't seen it stated anywhere that collision detection is not in the game this year. It may not be, but I haven't seen one way or the other.

You are correct about the player models it's a time issue. It's not a plug-in-play type of deal if the player models change that means that every single animation in the game has to be re-mapped to the new models.

Can't comment one way or another on collision detection.

# 99 countryboy @ 12/19/08 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You are correct about the player models it's a time issue. It's not a plug in play type of deal if the player models change that means that every single animation in the game has to be re-mapped to the new models.

Can't comment one way or another on collision detection.
I can't imagine having to re-map every single animation.

And for my opinion alone, I would prefer the player models be held off another year in favor of the few things that we know have been included this year(progressive lighting, updated franchise, crowd chants, etc..)

# 100 The Management @ 12/19/08 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
the new player models were not put into the game this year due to complications.
What "complications"? Getting the right body proportions should be priority number 1. It's really the only game out with this problem.

If I can change my home character from short and stocky to tall and lanky in a matter of seconds (I'm using Home as a reference because it looks like they use a similar face builder), something doesn't seem right.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.