Home
News Post

Someone from the Neogaf Forums have posted 2 more early screenshots from MLB '09: The Show.

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Holic @ 12/24/08 07:00 AM

# 2 silver540i @ 12/24/08 07:27 AM
Nice find. Nothing earth shattering, but the lighting looks good. The detail is great.

# 3 nemesis04 @ 12/24/08 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Very nice. However... when are they going to do something about those weird, stubby, broad-shouldered PS2 player models? This is year 3 on next-gen. At what point does that become a priority? I mean, it's not like gamers stare at the stadiums or crowds 95% of the game. They're looking at the players that whole time. Very puzzling.
Don't know if you saw this post by Chris that goes over this a little bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
I guess I might as well jump in here.

If it was easy, we would do it. Thank you. Next question.

Seriously, first we have to make a distinction between Player Geometry and the skeletal system. The Player Geometry (ie, the model) in the PS3 game is entirely different than the PS2 model. From head to toe, not a single poly, not a single texture is the same.

What many of you are complaining about is the proportions of the skeleton....and this is simply not an easy thing to just change.

Look at it this way. Put your hands together in front of you like you are clapping. Hold them in front of you palm to palm and imagine 2 more inches of length added to your arms.... your hands don't match up anymore do they? Same thing with holding a bat, adjusting your helmet, punching your fist into your glove, reaching into your glove to get the ball, putting your hands on your hips, etc etc etc...you get the idea.

We currently have over 20,000 of these animations to convert. Like I said, if it were simple, we would push the "new skeleton" button and take the rest of the year off. Don't forget, it has taken us over 7 years to build up this catalog of animations. And yes, I know people will chime in with, just use a simple IK system, problem solved....well, yes and no...might get us part of the way there, but an IK system doesn't know how Derek Jeter holds his elbow during his stance, etc....so it may get the hands on the bat, but in doing so, will mess with the integrity of the animation.

Please understand that we do take this seriously, and it IS something that we are looking at for the future.

Enjoy.

Chris

# 4 Rob_NYY @ 12/24/08 10:19 AM
The lighting in the Yankees pic looks beautiful. But I must ask, what is Melky Cabrera doing in LF? Silly Billy's at SCEA!

# 5 green94 @ 12/24/08 10:23 AM
No players in the bullpen again this year!?

# 6 Knight165 @ 12/24/08 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
No players in the bullpen again this year!?
This won't bother me....as long as they show BOTH teams warming up....so I know what my opposition is thinking of doing.

M.K.
Knight165

# 7 Rob_NYY @ 12/24/08 10:29 AM
Yeah, I hope they show CPU pitchers warming up.

# 8 Hammerhunker @ 12/24/08 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
The lighting in the Yankees pic looks beautiful. But I must ask, what is Melky Cabrera doing in LF? Silly Billy's at SCEA!
Maybe the extreme shift was on with Cabrera playing in the gap and Matsui straddling the line. Anyway, thanks for the shots, I think they look pretty spiffy!

# 9 green94 @ 12/24/08 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
Maybe that's part of the probably with 2K; putting more priority is things like this instead of focusing on gameplay....
Agreed, but MLB The Show has had the core elements down for a few years now. It's time to start adding the goodies.... dynamic lighting was obviously a great start as well as the field wear. But last year I remember one of the devs mentioning something about trying to get this in for 09 - guess it didn't make it.

# 10 Rob_NYY @ 12/24/08 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
I'm sure this has something to do with it. If they put everything we want in the game it might possibly cause slow down (think 2k), and there's no way I want that. I hope the mascots being activate don't hurt the frame rate.
I'm pretty sure the mascots will only appear in cut scenes. I swear if I see them dancing and running amok all over the ballpark while I am playing (like that annoying beachball in '08) I will blow a gasket.

# 11 Rob_NYY @ 12/24/08 11:43 AM
I hope the mascots pop the beachballs and end them once and for all. Those things annoyed the hell out of me. When I went to bed at night and closed my eyes, I saw beachballs.

# 12 Blzer @ 12/24/08 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
2k sports baseball has been doing this for a few years now
Acclaim had been doing it since All Star Baseball 2002 (plus live scoreboard and bottom line updates), just as a frame of reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
I'm pretty sure the mascots will only appear in cut scenes. I swear if I see them dancing and running amok all over the ballpark while I am playing (like that annoying beachball in '08) I will blow a gasket.
This has also been in since ASB 2002. Again, just saying that it can be, and should be able to be done. I think one of the NBA 2K developers spoke of the individual SPU's in the PS3's core and how they can make things like this happen, also so that everything happens in real time and cut scenes are real time as well. Hopefully someday we get that kind of result.

I only posted in the older thread so far (just about the quality of the screencaps themselves), but the lighting in this game is simply amazing. In a way, it very much reminded me of MLB 2K7's system, which is pretty much all that I can ask for. Major props to them getting this in this year... it is bar none one of the biggest things I was hoping to get out of current-gen gaming, and I am very happy that they are including the time-of-day progression.

It's about time that my 7:00 games don't start pitch black, that's all I have to say.

# 13 bodhiball @ 12/24/08 12:32 PM
good xmas eve present to see those...maybe some vids for xmas day?

One thing I keep waiting to see, and it seemed like a constant item in the wishlists, are the accessories. So far no eye black, shades, different color bands and sleeves, baggier pants etc. Obviously everything they have done so far is amazing...but that will be a bit disappointing. It really helps distinguish the different players.

My guess is that its a large undertaking considering this may be the final year of these player models, and they would just have to redo all that they create anyway.

# 14 mlblover15 @ 12/24/08 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
I guess the PS3 is not powerful enough?
ive heard from someone that does games along the way that the dual pross on hte ps3 make programming more dif than on the 360... crap i wish i would have saved that pm. it wasnt from any of the scea guys but it was from one member of the os community that either did or still works for the 2k team... dang it..

# 15 LL-Cool-P @ 12/24/08 01:11 PM
Loving the screens so far!

# 16 AlexBrady @ 12/24/08 01:12 PM
Did Jeter have that sleeve last year?

# 17 The Management @ 12/24/08 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
Maybe the extreme shift was on with Cabrera playing in the gap and Matsui straddling the line. Anyway, thanks for the shots, I think they look pretty spiffy!
I think the Yankees will be employing the really extreme shift on and Melky will be playing in another city. Is it just me or did they upgrade the cloth textures on the uniforms? Seems more flexible.

# 18 Rob_NYY @ 12/24/08 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Did Jeter have that sleeve last year?
He's had that 1 sleeve for years.

# 19 sappy3 @ 12/24/08 04:38 PM
Screens look great. Can't wait for this game!

# 20 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/24/08 06:50 PM
The lighting is unmatched. WOW!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.