Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers the new and improved A.I.

Quote:
"Today we’re going to show you some of our new and improved A.I. for MLB 09 The Show. Realism is THE most important thing to use here on the MLB 09 The Show team. Year in and year out, with a development team that has a wealth of baseball knowledge, not only as fans of the game but development members that have actually played the game at very high levels, we dedicate ourselves to making the most realistic baseball experience possible. That being said, there were a few things about last year’s game that were a bit frustrating and not as realistic as we would have liked. As much as we would like to tackle every idea out there, we strategically have to pick and choose our battles. This year we decided to work on a little bit of everything, so today I’m going to highlight four of them."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 bfindeisen @ 01/21/09 10:44 AM
Wow! All of the new and improved A.I. features look absolutely incredible! All truly valid features that will most certainly add to the experience. As a realism-addict I am so pleased that they are making a concerted effort to make the game as realistic as possible! One concern I had, however, like many others, is that the new player models hopefully aren't in the game yet...while it is certainly not that big of a deal, the older models were pretty outdated and often inaccurate...

for instance, Pedroia's stance is the same as last year and he is using a non-colored bat which he has never done...always has used a black bat, how could they make this mistake for their cover athlete? Makes me think that the new models have yet to be completely implemented...

# 122 tree3five @ 01/21/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Wow! All of the new and improved A.I. features look absolutely incredible! All truly valid features that will most certainly add to the experience. As a realism-addict I am so pleased that they are making a concerted effort to make the game as realistic as possible! One concern I had, however, like many others, is that the new player models hopefully aren't in the game yet...while it is certainly not that big of a deal, the older models were pretty outdated and often inaccurate...

for instance, Pedroia's stance is the same as last year and he is using a non-colored bat which he has never done...always has used a black bat, how could they make this mistake for their cover athlete? Makes me think that the new models have yet to be completely implemented...
the new player models wont be in until 2010.

# 123 brunnoce @ 01/21/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree3five
the new player models wont be in until 2010.

just to add,
i think the new animations(stances/deliveries) problaby arent in that video neither...
(im hoping at least)

# 124 Motown @ 01/21/09 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
Who is the team batting?
Dbacks...i think

# 125 GSW @ 01/21/09 11:06 AM
im not trying to stary too far off topic here butas well as Baseball im also a huge basketball gamer...

I just wish SCEA would put this much focus and effort into thier hoop game as they do the baseball game... if its the people and lack of ideas, i'll help... I love San Diego i used to live there.

and i have experience

# 126 zippy2212 @ 01/21/09 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
actually, two NL teams can't play each other in the World Series... this is probably the Divisional Playoff or NLCS....
Whatever it is, world series, NLCS, NLDS, it is just awesome that they added the playoff atmosphere!

Along with all the other great additions. With all these additions it is like we the gamers are actually designing the game!!!!

Major Kudos to SCEA!!!

# 127 brunnoce @ 01/21/09 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjwm
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. All the the HR celebrations, pitching motions & stances look just like 08 to me. Afterall, this video is only showcasing the improved AI, not the new personalized player motions.
yeh, soriano was definatly 08, along with others i noticed...

# 128 Gagnon39 @ 01/21/09 11:29 AM
I LOVE the more realistic routes on hit balls. That will add so much to the game that we do not realize. However, I hope they have misplayed balls every now and again. Not errors, but just bad angles. For example...

I want to see a slicing ball hit down the left field line. Left fielder comes in to try and cut it off on the hop but realizes that he can't get to it and has to chase it down in the corner. While the batter winds up with a triple. Same thing for shots in the gap. I wonder if this will ever happen.

# 129 rudyjuly2 @ 01/21/09 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I want to see a slicing ball hit down the left field line. Left fielder comes in to try and cut it off on the hop but realizes that he can't get to it and has to chase it down in the corner. While the batter winds up with a triple. Same thing for shots in the gap. I wonder if this will ever happen.
That would be great. It would even be better if we saw Manny do that a lot while great outfielders never do it.

# 130 metallidevils @ 01/21/09 11:51 AM
I'm glad fielding is getting fixed this year.

A few things:

1. Will there actually be softer and harder throws this year? No matter how long you held the button in last year, throws were pretty much the same.

2. Will the incredibly slow underhand throw glitch be fixed?

# 131 computerlover @ 01/21/09 12:02 PM
this game is gonna be sweeeet! ... but will the changes in the baltimore orioles uniforms, and the stadium... i.e. Big azz hotel built across the street, the new 2 HD Scoreboards be represented.. not so far in the blog video...

i hope so!!

# 132 Bronk_Bonin @ 01/21/09 12:05 PM
Well, I'm as interested in signature batting stances and pitching motions as anyone. Heck, I started this post last year. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...long-post.html

Just last week, Russell I believe, confirmed that what we were seeing in the early videos were indeed 08 sig. styles. Until a SCEA representitive tells us otherwise I'm still optimistic that we're going to see a lot of styles reworked in 09.

Maybe, like last year, they'll inform us which players have reworked styles. Here's what Kolbe posted last year.

From Kolbe post #113
http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...ll_Ian&page=12

From Chris Clements:
New personal pitcher anims:
Bedard_Erik, Blanton_Joe, Bonser_Boof, Cain_Matt, Capuano_Chris, Chacin_Gustavo, Chamberlain_Joba, Cordero_Chad, Corpas_Manuel, Dempster_Ryan, Duke_Zach, Gallardo_Yovani, Garland_Jon, Guthrie_Jeremy, Harang_Aaron, Haren_Dan, Hernandez_Felix, Hill_Rich, Hughes_Phil, Kazmir_Scott, Lincecum_Tim, Miller_Andrew, Rodney_Fernando, Snell_Ian, Soria_Joakim, Valverde_Jose

New personal batter anims:
Betancourt_Yuniesky, Buck_Travis, Cabrera_Melky, DiMaggio_Joe, Fielder_Prince, Gordon_Alex, Hamilton_Josh, Hart_Corey, Jackson_Reggie, Kotchman_Casey, Kouzmanoff_Kevin, Loney_James, Markakis_Nick, Pedroia_Dustin, Pence_Hunter, Pie_Felix, Saltalamacchia_Jarrod, Sandberg_Ryne, Smith_Ozzie, Upton_BJ Victorino_Shane, Willits_Reggie, Youkilis_Kevin, Young_Chris , Young_Delmon, Yount_Robin

So maybe if someone from SCEA has time and the clearance to post that information, in due time we'll have the issue put to rest and everyone can be confident that indeed signature style have been reworked for 09.

# 133 brunnoce @ 01/21/09 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
I would have to disagree here...those look like 09 swings and stances to me....look at Berkman's swing... there is no herky jerky setup before the swing...it is one fluid motion...he also sets the bat down...not sure if that was in '08...
im specifically talking about stances and deliveries,
and soriano is definatly 08....
dunno about berkman, would have to check...

(all the deliveries i noticed were from 08 too)

# 134 kt-od @ 01/21/09 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeusox
Berkman DID set the bat down in 08. Distinctly remember it.
You are correct. I have my franchise with the Astros, so I know this for sure. They got his home run follow through pretty close to normal.

However, his pre-pitch ritual and stance are totally wrong. His pre-pitch swings are not that high, they are actually really low. And right before the delivery he always taps home plate with the head of the bat.

# 135 brunnoce @ 01/21/09 01:49 PM
bottom line than: seems we are seeing 08 motions, still

# 136 elTodd @ 01/21/09 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
bottom line than: seems we are seeing 08 motions, still
Yeah, I'm coming to that conclusion too. It would be nice for Chris, Kolbe, or Russell to give us conformation of this. That is, if they know for sure.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the videos definitely show off the new throwing and fielding animations, so why wouldn't they include the new batting stances? I would hate for the BSG's stances to not be in this year's game.

# 137 brunnoce @ 01/21/09 02:17 PM
russel has confirmed the yankees and mets video didnt have the new motions
im pretty confident this one falls in that category too, maybe thats why he didnt feel like confirming it.

# 138 Gagnon39 @ 01/21/09 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That would be great. It would even be better if we saw Manny do that a lot while great outfielders never do it.
Exactly. It would give us a reason to sign/keep good fielders and not just good batters.

# 139 green94 @ 01/21/09 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeusox
Berkman DID set the bat down in 08. Distinctly remember it.
Wasn't sure, thanks for confirming.

# 140 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 02:58 PM
MLB 08.5: The Show

Seriously, judging from the video, there is no leap forward to last years. The new fielding, tagging, etcc animations are not going to be that much noticeable when playing the game. Judging from the video, the game is the same, batting and pitching animations are the same. Yeah. Optimistic? Not yet!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.