Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

ESPN has posted part 1 of their Major League Baseball 2K9 diary.

Quote:
"First thing I notice when I enter franchise mode is how clean it looks. MLB 2K9 is being developed by Visual Concepts this year and they brought over the guy who built NBA 2K9's Association mode to make things right for baseball. And if you've played NBA at all, you'll feel right at home as MLB 2K9's Franchise was built from the ground up, adding and improving on things gamers have already praised from the NBA title. The game now features stats-based player progression where younger players no longer improve by just sitting on the bench. You actually need to work them into the lineup if you want to see them get better over time."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jeffy777 @ 02/05/09 04:44 PM
"I start the game on the mound with Lincecum and after two strikes, Mike Cameron bloops a single into right field. Cameron then takes off and steals both second and third base in the next two pitches. Wow, the computer sure is playing aggressive. I like it."

Awesome!!!

Also sounds like the hit variety is much improved with a lot more singles.

And it sounds like the framerate is very close to being what it should be:

"The other thing I notice about the game right off the bat is that the majority of frame-rate issues have been solved. The bugs are still being worked out of the preview copy I'm playing, so there is still the occasional hitch when the ball is hit into the outfield and the game will slow down like 2K8, but producer Jeff Thomas pretty much guarantees that the issues will be solved and that the game will run at a smooth 60 frames-per-second when it's released."

This is cool:

"Prince Fielder is up to bat next and when he fouls the ball into the crowd, about ten people in the crowd all jump out of their seats and try to catch the ball. Pretty sweet visual and it's little touches like this that really help add to the atmosphere of the game."

# 2 areobee401 @ 02/05/09 04:45 PM
"I start the game on the mound with Lincecum and after two strikes, Mike Cameron bloops a single into right field. Cameron then takes off and steals both second and third base in the next two pitches. Wow, the computer sure is playing aggressive. I like it."

"Prince Fielder is up to bat next and when he fouls the ball into the crowd, about ten people in the crowd all jump out of their seats and try to catch the ball. Pretty sweet visual and it's little touches like this that really help add to the atmosphere of the game."

I swear this game is like a bad relationship. One day im ready to call it quits and the next I feel like I want to give it another chance.

Atleast this relationship only costs me $60 a year

# 3 jaiman @ 02/05/09 04:51 PM
Well, either this game has turned it around and is great or this guy just really knows how to tell a good story. haha He almost has me sold. And that was game 1!

Good thing I have both systems and will more than likely by both games. Don't ask me why, I hardly have the time to play one of them.

# 4 thornie @ 02/05/09 04:53 PM
Cool, we get to see what the menus sort of like too... Hmm, anyone else think the graphics in those screen shots look a little "funny"?

# 5 jeffy777 @ 02/05/09 04:53 PM

Those menus look pretty good...

The screenshot of the Giants player catching the ball looks like it's from the Wii or something though.

# 6 Trevytrev11 @ 02/05/09 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
. Cameron then takes off and steals both second and third base in the next two pitches.
Man, we get no stolen bases last year, so to make up for it this year, every one steals every base they can.

Of course I'm being sarcastic here, but thought it was funny...I can picture 2K developers saying "You wanted stolen bases, we're going to shove them down your throat"

# 7 bodhiball @ 02/05/09 05:01 PM
man, I hope that the title image is not an actual screen capture of the game. That looks horrible.

# 8 HK-47 @ 02/05/09 05:07 PM
"Two of the replays stand out. The first is on a triple by Winn, the throw was wide of third, and the Brewers third baseman caught the ball, then dove at the sliding Winn to try and make the play. The other was a ball hit to second baseman Kevin Frandsen. He was running to his right, put a glove on the ball, bobbled it, then bare-handed it off the dirt and threw off balance to still make the play at first."

I wonder if the meatballs are still there if you use 2k8's pitching, cause I'll most likely use it for 2k9(the new pitching controlls seem too easy), and I'm worried that if I mess up the ball will fly out of the yard like in 2k8.It would be great if they listened to us who loved 2k8's pitching(but hated the meatballs), and just made a messed up motion or release turn into a ball instead of a 450ft HR.

# 9 bodhiball @ 02/05/09 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
That doesnt look like a high res picture either.

oK, now goign back and really looking at them pictures. YOu can tell they are really low resolution pictures. Everything looks really distorted.

man, I hope you are right! Just noticed the Fred Lewis one too...so jagged and I guess they are going with the "flat grass texture" again this year.

# 10 thornie @ 02/05/09 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
man, I hope you are right! Just noticed the Fred Lewis one too...so jagged and I guess they are going with the "flat grass texture" again this year.
Agreed. Trevy is right though, it looks the Wii version of the game.

# 11 HK-47 @ 02/05/09 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
I guess they are going with the "flat grass texture" again this year.

The grass doesn't look flat in the trailer.It's not at the same level as the dirt like how it was in 2k8.

# 12 DaveDQ @ 02/05/09 05:19 PM
I don't want to sound like a know it all but I can guarantee they are high resolution pictures scaled re-sized to fit the screen. You could blame it on the software he used to make the images smaller.

# 13 SoxFan01605 @ 02/05/09 05:20 PM
Sounds pretty good. It's hard to get a grasp for the "feel" of gameplay in an article like that, but it sounded like he was immersed in the game and had fun, which is extremely important. Also liked the menus for franchise and the depth of the metrics they've added...making stat depth a real plus for this game.

Now, just give me a gameplay video or two, and I'll be on my way...lol.

# 14 HK-47 @ 02/05/09 05:21 PM
The trailer was in game graphics, so why worry about these screenshots?

# 15 bodhiball @ 02/05/09 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
The trailer was in game graphics, so why worry about these screenshots?
I think the past has us worried about everything til we actually see/play the game.

# 16 myghty @ 02/05/09 06:27 PM
Damn him & his hypnotizing words in his diary...

# 17 buttsakk @ 02/06/09 01:08 AM

I don't know why, but I like the camera angle.

# 18 jeffy777 @ 02/06/09 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsakk
Me too. It looks like I'm watching a game on TV.

# 19 BigBlue @ 02/06/09 07:43 AM
He mentioned that you can go back to 2K8's pitching mechanics. He doesn't mention that you can do the same for batting which completely eliminates the STEP INFLUENCE (which I liked, for timing reasons).

I know BAA7 is not going to be pleased by this either if this is in fact true.

BigBlue

# 20 therizing02 @ 02/06/09 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsakk

Love it!

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.