Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Hey guys, we thought it would be a perfect time to share something that I am personally very excited about for Madden NFL 10. We took each and every rating in the game (over 50+ player ratings) and scaled them up/down in a way that is now using much more of the scale. I like to describe it around the office like this…”We basically stretched out the ratings.” We want to use more of the numbers so we get a bigger, more noticeable affect in the game.

Let me give you guys an example….in Madden NFL 09 all of the WR’s Route Running ratings ranged from 62-99. In the current Madden NFL 10 build, WR’s now check in from 35-99. To counter this on the defensive side, all CB’s in Madden NFL 09 had a Man Coverage rating which ranged from 64-99. Now in Madden NFL 10, CB’s Man Coverage range is currently 40-99.

Every position and every rating has been re-scaled to expand the range of numbers we are dealing with. The Overall Rating for your average NFL player has dropped. Your Joe Average linebacker who was 80 OVR is now dropped down to 70. The players who were before right on the cusp of 90 in a rating category are now down around 85-88…Meaning, there are fewer superstar players out there. Before, where you could maybe get by throwing to your slot WR who had 93 SPD, with 74 ROUTES, and 77 Catching…now in Madden NFL 10, that guy is going to have like 91 SPD, 60-65 ROUTES and anywhere from 65-70 Catching. Let me tell you, these rating drops make a big difference when that slot rookie WR with 90+ speed now drops every 3rd pass or so, or just simply cannot get open.
The superstars have not been affected however, this is intentional. Peyton is still 99 OVR, Patrick Willis a 99, Larry Fitz is 99, etc. The elite players at rating categories have not been affected either (JaMarcus Russell still has a 98 Throw Power and Chris Johnson still rated 99 Speed). [Side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

Speaking of the Speed, which is always a hot topic, we made some major changes with the infamous SPD rating as well. To give you a great example, I will again go back to WR and CB. In Madden NFL 09, the WR SPD range was 85-100…CB was 87-99.

In Madden NFL 10, WR SPD range is currently 70-100…CB is currently 75-99. So as you may or may not tell, the SPD range has been pushed down, in our opinions, to better reflect the “sim-gameplay” style that Ian and Phil have been telling you about all winter long. This SPD change has been updated for each position, so it makes a huge game play affect.

Ian and I had a game the other day where Earnest Graham broke one up the middle for a 55 yard touchdown run… and he could not be caught!…E-Grahams’ Madden NFL 10 current SPD rating….80 SPD. That should give you a good sense of what is possible with the new ratings. It’s not all about having the 90+ SPD anymore. On this particular run, Ian’s CB’s got hung up against some blockers and all I had to do was beat one safety and Graham was gone! He had Brandon Jacobs and his 85 SPD breaking some long runs as well. On the flip side of bigger/slower backs, Chris Johnson is absolutely lethal right now. You can actually get him outside with sweeps now and he is a beast to stop. But again, we are constantly tuning the gameplay, we have an entire team dedicated to that and they are some of the best people we have in the building.

So there you have it, player ratings are in for a major overhaul this year and I am really excited already with the impact they are having on the early builds of the game. And rest assured, we are well aware of the outside impacts this will have….Rookies will now come into the league based on the new ranges, NCAA Import guys are being tuned as well…Progression has been accounted for as well to better reflect breakout stars and burned-out former stars. Meaning, we want to have bigger jumps in OVR this year, both positive and negative. That’s all for now, probably gave away too much already!

Would love to hear any feedback about this big new change in the way we do player ratings. I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding the new rating ranges….please no individual ratings questions, not answering those! Stay tuned for more Madden player rating related blogs in the future!

- Donny Moore – Madden NFL 10 Designer

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Articula @ 02/09/09 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Totally.

What makes me happy is...imagine if we just dropped this in some random interview in June like the old days. It is just such an awesome feeling to be able to throw this out there, take feedback, and act on it while talking back and forth with you guys. I definitely expect some paranoia/skepticism (after all, I felt the same way after playing a game with the Titans & Chris Johnson after Donny's changes ), but that's what is so great about releasing information so early. We can provide some over-arching goals and then fine tune to the expectations and suggestions of our fans.

Community interaction rulz.
Haha so true, seems like you guys have your s**t straight this year. Its inspiring confidence!

# 82 Joborule @ 02/09/09 10:06 PM
I dig this. Players in Madden could use more diversity in how they play. Players are either very good, average, or below average in each position. Strengths of a player didn't stand out too much aside from speed and broken tackles (thanks to the highlight stick break tackles). I'm glad to hear that they've been messed around to not only make the ratings have more disparity (and I hope the broadening of ratings widen in the future), because this will open up differences between players and make some ratings have more effects. I love hearing that if a player gets clear and no one is around that they are gone. In the past that 90 speed player would have caught up to that 80 speed player even if they we're out of position by a quite a bit when the runner broke out.

I hope weight and size also has been re-tuned to have more emphasis on player ratings and matchups. I HATE, seeing a small player be able to take on a big player more times then not like they're all little beasts. This is also a very important part of line battles and why the 3-4 doesn't work like it should because that one nosetackle can't create havoc due to his strength and size.

# 83 gabs485 @ 02/09/09 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Totally.

What makes me happy is...imagine if we just dropped this in some random interview in June like the old days. It is just such an awesome feeling to be able to throw this out there, take feedback, and act on it while talking back and forth with you guys. I definitely expect some paranoia/skepticism (after all, I felt the same way after playing a game with the Titans & Chris Johnson after Donny's changes ), but that's what is so great about releasing information so early. We can provide some over-arching goals and then fine tune to the expectations and suggestions of our fans.

Community interaction rulz.
This is great.

I think right now players archive their top speed too quickly, meaning that they are already at full speed by the time they reach the line of scrimage.

One way to solve this would be to use the "repeatly tap a button" to build up speed instead of a trigger, this way the rea; only chance you would get to go really fast is when you are in the open field.

Acceleration would determine how fast the player reaches top speed. Player's like Adrian Peterson and Brian Westbrook have great accelation that's one of the reasons that they get to the holes quicker.

I know that tapping the button is not very likeable around here but I think it is a good and liable way to solve the speed issue in the game.

# 84 Joborule @ 02/09/09 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan

EA SPORTS World: NCAA Football 09 Video

This is Worst Case Scenario...of course but this is what you guys have to be fighting and looking out for

There are elements of that play that are so horrendous its just insane...

Please again proceed with caution...."Wide Open Gameplay" is a perfect example of the "Bandage for a Broken Leg" mentality thats been associated with Madden and NCAA for years

If your going to change one thing so drastically you have to do it to the rest like AI, DL/OL interaction

Thankfully Ian being here has eased my mind, and Im pretty optimistic that this will be handled appropriately for us sim gamers
Fatigue baby!

# 85 kcarr @ 02/09/09 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ARk5
well what do chris johnson and sproles do in real life when they are in the open field with all that speed they possess in real life?...they usually break a big run and score td's with that said, just like in the nfl, the trick will be so that defensive ai for both cpu and human should be fined tuned so that they are not put in that position often, once in a while great, that is what happens in real life but 7 out of 10 runs to break big and possibily score is not realistic..

these will work like a charm only if the ai is upgraded as well.
Really, 1 out of 10 is not realistic. Actually, of the 2 players being mentioned this last season johnson only broke a 20 yard run one out of every 27.88 times he touched the ball. He only hit 40 yards one out of every 83.67 times. As for sproles he only hit 20 yards one out of every 20.33 times and never had a 40 yard carry. That said spoles did make 20 yards one out of every 5.8 catches and hit 40 one out of 29 times. Johnson however only hit on one out of every 21.5 catches and never hit 40 on a catch.

Actually out of players with at least 60 carries correll buckhalter was the "most explosive" in terms of 20 yard carries making one every 15.2 carries. Tyler thigpen had one every 15.5 and ahmad bradshaw one per 16.75 were the only 2 real close to that. For backs who carried the ball at least 100 times one per 18.15 by AD was the top mark. Deangelo williams and brandon jacobs at one per 18.2 and one per 18.25 were the next best.

For players with at least 60 carries top makes for 40 yard runs were one per 25.33 by leon washington and one per 31.67 by jerious norwood. For 100 carry backs Earnest Graham who was mentioned earlier actually led with one per 44. Slaton had one every 53.6 and williams had one every 54.6 as number 2 and 3.

In madden if you have a fast player they already break these 40 yard runs every game. I hope this will not extend their power by making them faster than everyone else around them.

# 86 SHO @ 02/09/09 10:16 PM
The best news of 2009 so far. I hated the rating inflations so very much.

Although the ratings have been properly deflated, I have a question about the priority of the ratings. Will the long time basic athleticism attributes like SPD, STR, ACC, etc. still reign as the most important attributes or will Madden '10 be the year where the newer, albeit minutely felt, ratings like PRC, MCV, ZCV have a greater impact this time around? Or does the rating deflation help with this somewhat?

# 87 Joborule @ 02/09/09 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabs485
This is great.

I think right now players archive their top speed too quickly, meaning that they are already at full speed by the time they reach the line of scrimage.

One way to solve this would be to use the "repeatly tap a button" to build up speed instead of a trigger, this way the rea; only chance you would get to go really fast is when you are in the open field.

Acceleration would determine how fast the player reaches top speed. Player's like Adrian Peterson and Brian Westbrook have great accelation that's one of the reasons that they get to the holes quicker.

I know that tapping the button is not very likeable around here but I think it is a good and liable way to solve the speed issue in the game.
I don't think tapping will make a difference and will be more so annoying then anything. People will just keep tapping like crazy even then there not in open space. Making it just the same as holding the button. If they're getting the handoff, all they would have to do is tap like crazy to reach full speed at the line of scrimmage anyway. But if there's a hole, aren't some players at to top speed or damn near at it when they reach the LOS anyway?

There has to be actions that causes a player to decelerate or not be able to pull off at top speed. I don't think we have to make players tap the sprint button to make them run.

# 88 kcarr @ 02/09/09 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallfever
.... I love this new direction, but it not affecting Superstars? Is that really a good thing? They were already unstoppable and now it seems as if their going to be harder to stop because everyone else is now slower and dumber. (Not so much so for dumber)
I agree that it should effect superstars. Not necessarily making them weaker or lowering their overall, I think the top part of the spectrum should remain in use as well, but lowering their specific abilities to make them play more like real life. Guys like tom brady and drew brees for instance should have much lower arm strengths than jamarcus russel for instance. Sure they complete more deep balls but that is due to accuracy than to strength. maybe there should be a seperate rating for short, medium, and long accuracy but just because a guy can throw deep accuratly should not increase his throwing power.

# 89 ch46647 @ 02/09/09 10:23 PM
^^^ In my opinion NHL 09 did a great job with players acceleration. You can really tell the difference between an Alexander Ovechkin and an average player.

# 90 SHO @ 02/09/09 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
I hope weight and size also has been re-tuned to have more emphasis on player ratings and matchups. I HATE, seeing a small player be able to take on a big player more times then not like they're all little beasts. This is also a very important part of line battles and why the 3-4 doesn't work like it should because that one nosetackle can't create havoc due to his strength and size.
I agree with this. The 3-4 doesn't really work like it should in Madden/NCAA and it's easy to take a 4-3 team with small quick linebackers and linemen run the 3-4 without skipping a beat. And with so many 3-4 teams in the teams in the league now, it would be nice to actually see it work for a change.

Will these rating effects be taking effect in NCAA '10?

# 91 SonOfWisconsin @ 02/09/09 10:26 PM
Ryan grant will actually be able to get big gains now! Praise be to ian.

# 92 DLaren @ 02/09/09 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Paranoia is running rampant through this thread...

Which is wierd because they did this exact same thing in NFL Headcoach'09; and it worked out wonderfully in my opinion. If it's anything like what they did in HeadCoach, I'm going to be happy with this in Madden'10.

# 93 IanCummingsFriend @ 02/09/09 10:33 PM
How often will a 2nd or 3rd reciever drop the ball? I hated when the WR was wide open no one around him, only to drop it and theres nothing i can do about it lol. I'm not saying catch it everytime but if he's wide open, catch it majority of the time. Not including taking a shot right after he catches it.

# 94 Phil_Frazier @ 02/09/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Ahhh hair on fire, running with scissors, black heliocopters, big brother...
The more important question is what did Peter Moore think of today's build? I heard he got a demo today!
Peter Moore is in the office on Wednesday. We're still chipping away on the Peter Moore build, trying to add as many bells ans whistles as possible.

He'll love it. We are going to show him a feature he plans to announce on his blog really soon. It will likely be the first screenshot of Madden NFL 10 that gets released.

Phil

# 95 blvdboi22 @ 02/09/09 10:41 PM
Quote:
Let me give you guys an example….in Madden NFL 09 all of the WR’s Route Running ratings ranged from 62-99. In the current Madden NFL 10 build, WR’s now check in from 35-99. To counter this on the defensive side, all CB’s in Madden NFL 09 had a Man Coverage rating which ranged from 64-99. Now in Madden NFL 10, CB’s Man Coverage range is currently 40-99.

So i can Play man coverage again so that is what this is saying i hope thats what it means

# 96 ch46647 @ 02/09/09 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
Peter Moore is in the office on Wednesday. We're still chipping away on the Peter Moore build, trying to add as many bells ans whistles as possible.

He'll love it. We are going to show him a feature he plans to announce on his blog really soon. It will likely be the first screenshot of Madden NFL 10 that gets released.

Phil
All this great news is getting me so excited!!! I cant wait to see the first Madden 10 screenshot since Ian said the graphics are "WAAAYYY better" Keep it coming Madden 10 team!

# 97 supdog @ 02/09/09 10:48 PM
How is the speed of a player decided? Are you dropping joe smoes speed just so his rating will drop? And if you are dropping joe smoes speed are you going to be dropping everyones speed? You have some players that are faster than other players in the game but in real life its the other way around.

# 98 thudias @ 02/09/09 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule
I don't think tapping will make a difference and will be more so annoying then anything. People will just keep tapping like crazy even then there not in open space. Making it just the same as holding the button. If they're getting the handoff, all they would have to do is tap like crazy to reach full speed at the line of scrimmage anyway. But if there's a hole, aren't some players at to top speed or damn near at it when they reach the LOS anyway?

There has to be actions that causes a player to decelerate or not be able to pull off at top speed. I don't think we have to make players tap the sprint button to make them run.
I agree with joborule...Not to be pessimistic but tapping a button seems arcadish. One of the NHL games had accelaration down to a science. Madden should go that route.

# 99 thudias @ 02/09/09 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA

Phil
Ive never seen Peter's blog..does anyone have a link?

# 100 adembroski @ 02/09/09 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supdog
How is the speed of a player decided?
For most players, it's a formula that weighs the 40 time at about a 2-1 split between speed and acceleration, based on the player type. I used to have a chart I'd use to plug the combine numbers into and I'd know within 1-2 what each player's speed and acceleration in Madden would be. Wish I could find the ****in' thing.

I wanted to show it to whoever was doing rookie ratings at the time. I think they'd flip on how accurate it was. It wasn't exact, but it was so close that it couldn't be a coincidence. They have a system, and it is based primarily on combine numbers.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.