Home
News Post

Gameshark has posted a Q&A with members of the MLB 09 The Show team.

Quote:
Gameshark: "Speaking of AI, what strides have been made, in a general sense, to the computer manager, GM, and fielding AI?"

MLB 09 The Show Team: "Very large changes (you can call them strides if you like) have been made in all areas of roster and team management. These changes are both on and off the field. The off field changes (more of the roster management side) include but are not limited to: Trades, Free Agent pickups, Draft logic, a whole new contract offer + arbitration + renewal system, Rule 5 Drafts, etc. As you can imagine adding all of these features require new and improved AI logic to handle team decisions. The system we’ve created feels very organic and seems to allow for many different management styles and Franchise outcomes.

As far as the fielding AI, there have been major changes. Not necessarily changing the foundation because that was already solid. But we used that foundation to expand on a few areas. We have a new tag system that allows our infielders and catchers to set up based on where the ball is coming in from. Weather it be a play at third and the ball is coming in from the right field corner, a play at the plate, a pick off or a steal, we have specific set ups and tags that go with it. You will see a range of over 50 different tags in our game and that doesn’t even include our catcher. The system is real smart and helps prevent players from standing inside each other like you’ve seen in the past. We also redid all of our first base set up and catch animations."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bill_Abner @ 02/11/09 04:12 PM
I give this interview two huge thumbs up.

# 2 Knight165 @ 02/11/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
I give this interview two huge thumbs up.
The interview is ehh...
But the INTERVIEWER....he's okay.

Nice job Bill.

M.K.
Knight165

# 3 nemesis04 @ 02/11/09 04:25 PM
Nice job with the interview. You were able to dig a little deeper with some of the questions asked.

# 4 NAFBUC @ 02/11/09 04:32 PM
Good to have a baseball person ask the questions. Thanks Bill.

# 5 Bill_Abner @ 02/11/09 04:38 PM
Those types of interviews are only good if the team wants to talk. I think that particular Q&A works because you can really get a sense that the developers like the game. When the people behind a project want to talk about it, and that isn't always the case, then I think it says a lot about the finished product.

Plus after reading the stuff here... the anxiety is pretty high.

# 6 queensbomber @ 02/11/09 05:49 PM
Good read!

So I take it that the demo is really limited in animations and all the good stuff he mentioned like 100 different catching animations for the 1st baseman and awesome little tid bits like that.

I guess the demo is just a super simplified version of what we will see in a few weeks.

Nonetheless, these guys have done a brilliant job.

# 7 bobbysco13 @ 02/11/09 08:10 PM
A lot of online improvements BUT still no online league individual player stat tracking. 2K has been doing this for years. I don't care how many homeruns or RBI's I have total in a league, I want to know how many each of my players do without having to run the league through leaguedaddy, etc.

# 8 Double Deuce @ 02/11/09 08:12 PM
Quote:
They also know when they should not take chances. You will see the third base coach reflect that as you watch him direct traffic.
Does this mean we'll actually be able to see and listen to (or ignore) our third base coaches when running home? I've been wanting that in a baseball game for a LONG time.

# 9 ty5oke @ 02/11/09 08:22 PM
Great Read. I really think the 'solid hits' slider will be great for a lot of players.

# 10 CWSpalehoseCWS @ 02/12/09 12:03 AM
After reading that I'm am very excited about this game. The way they decribe this game it seems like it's going to blow MVP 05 out of the water.

# 11 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/12/09 01:50 AM
Nobody even noticed this?

Quote:
Have any improvements/additions been made to the online features?
Yes! Approaching this year, we had a few goals in mind. Improve the Online League experience and increase league play/activity. We also wanted to improve the online in-game/gameplay experience. For our SportsConnect online leagues we added a Live Draft system and Flex Schedules. The Draft system allows from 6-30 players to hold a full live draft, with the ability to set your draft day/time, pick timer, set a draft queue, chat (and harass), view the stats of available players, and more. Once the draft is over, set your lineup, and get the games going!

Playing games should be much easier this year, for two major reasons. First, the Flex Schedule allows league members to now play ahead in their schedule. No longer do you only get one series and opponent to play at a time. Depending on the size and length of your league you can play anywhere from 3 to 15 flex games. Long past are the days of not finding a league opponent online to play your games with.

Another Online SportsConnect Lobby feature is the addition of the Roster Vault. Similar to the MLB Sliders feature introduced a couple years ago, the Roster Vault allows anyone interested to modify an Offline Roster, upload it to the server and share with the community. In turn, the community can download, use offline and come back online and rate the Roster. Imagine the time saved by users no longer having to use 3rd party sites to share this type of information. It’s all within MLB 09 The Show now.

For online gameplay we focused on speed and offering everything you’ve come to expect from the offline game experience. Focus on framerate speed should go a long way in improving the online gameplay feel. Other Online in-game additions include, extra pause time for extra innings games, ability to select jerseys on the way into game, ability to mound visit, access to the quick menu, online steals—addressed, quick pitch exploit—addressed, allow both players to view and enjoy pause menu replays, pause exploit with balls in play, and increased gameplay settings.

Does this mean you guys can talk about Online now?

# 12 nemesis04 @ 02/12/09 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Nobody even noticed this?

Does this mean you guys can talk about Online now?

Nope!

There is nothing really new there that has not been mentioned before. We are getting there Enigma!

# 13 Woodweaver @ 02/12/09 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSpalehoseCWS
After reading that I'm am very excited about this game. The way they decribe this game it seems like it's going to blow MVP 05 out of the water.
MLB '06, '07 and '08 did that as well!

# 14 jmik58 @ 02/12/09 08:53 AM
Roster Vault will be very nice when it comes time to grab the edited rosters from your beloved editors. Sounds like an addition that was purely directed at OS

# 15 Knight165 @ 02/12/09 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Roster Vault will be very nice when it comes time to grab the edited rosters from your beloved editors. Sounds like an addition that was purely directed at OS
It does, doesn't it?!

They likened it to the slider sharing from last year.
They told us they noticed how much nem's sliders were downloaded...it was an insane amount.

It's great that the game is already so tight that they can think of and add these little things.

M.K.
Knight165

# 16 Senor_Herbatron @ 02/12/09 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Nope!

There is nothing really new there that has not been mentioned before. We are getting there Enigma!
Could we please, please get there soon. The wait is killing me. All I want to know.

- Can we change the pitching camera online.
- Has the atrocious lag been fixed.
- jersey selections
- overall gameplay online

Actually, I'd like to know everything there is about Online. Please, please be next Tuesday.

# 17 asu666 @ 02/12/09 10:36 AM
Wow! Great interview. I'm more excited to get The Show this year than maybe any other game I've waited for since my Atari 2600 days.

# 18 Bill_Abner @ 02/12/09 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
Wow! Great interview. I'm more excited to get The Show this year than maybe any other game I've waited for since my Atari 2600 days.
Baseball wise, it's been since the old High Heat days since I have been this excited to play a yearly release. If I actually walk batters when I don't intend to -- I may cry and start hugging random strangers at the grocery store. "Hey lady, I walked 3 batters last night!"

# 19 Knight165 @ 02/12/09 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Baseball wise, it's been since the old High Heat days since I have been this excited to play a yearly release. If I actually walk batters when I don't intend to -- I may cry and start hugging random strangers at the grocery store. "Hey lady, I walked 3 batters last night!"

Hope she doesn't have a heavy purse.....she might pull a Ruth Buzzi on you!
(right now every guy under the age of 40 is going huh? who?)

M.K.
Knight165

# 20 nefanman @ 02/12/09 01:41 PM
I like the on-line changes, updates. Nothing ticked me off more than when you played a game and idiots would pause on a fly ball, bunt with a guy on 2nd to score him or quick pitch. No more my friends....maybe just maybe this may be the greatest game of all-time.

The one thing that they didn't mention in this Q&A was if your going to see opponents 'Ping Status'. It was very dissapointing playing a glitchy, poor frame rate game against someone with a lousy DSL Connection. This was the one area that EA and 2k seemed to do well, Green Bar good, Red Bar bad....hoping it's added this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.