Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

OK, here is the very first gameplay video from Major League Baseball 2K9. Pay no attention to my sliding skills (or lack thereof), while trying to swipe second... Pushed the wrong analog stick, the wrong way...

Anyways, the bottom of the 1st will be posted in the morning, along with some franchise screenshots. We'll have plenty of videos to come tonight and over the weekend as well. Remember to keep conversation on topic, please.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Blitzburgh @ 02/13/09 08:31 AM
My first impressions after watching all three vids was WOW! I absolutely loved it! I'm not a big nitpicker on swings or batting stances however i would like to see the faces get better for next year. I also saw a few frame rate hiccups but who knows at thsi point. All in all this is a day 1 pick up for me! Would love to see a night game at PNC park!

# 62 Rod_Carew29 @ 02/13/09 08:36 AM
I am a 100%, certified The Show kinda guy...but I will say that the 2 clips dated February 13 are VERY, VERY impressive

# 63 orthostud23 @ 02/13/09 08:41 AM
My 2cents is that this game looked to run much smoother than last years game. Commentary was very good during that inning as well. It looks like a step in the right direction. Definately will get a gamefly rental from me. I also look forward to seeing some more videos this weekend.

Overall if your a 360 owner then this game looks to have made some progress over last years beta game.

# 64 BigL @ 02/13/09 08:45 AM
Positives

-We saw some foul balls. YAY!

- Player models look much better than last year's.

- Real time is looking sweet

- Overall framerate issue seems to be cleansed but ill mention some things in my negatives too

- I like how they show you a picture of every player and his stats when they go through the starting lineup.

Negatives

- They brutally whiffed on Pujols' batting stance which is odd since he is a premiere player and 2K prides itself on sig style. Soriano's, though, is spot on.

- While the overrall framerate appear to be improved there are still some hitches. The missing frames when batters go into their stances are still there and some throwing animations seem to be missing a few frames too. The ball doesnt appear to come out of th eplayer's hand in a smooth fashion.

- Yea the bat hitting the ball sounds like a shot gun, but lowering this in the settings does a good job of hiding that

- The crowd models look great but too many of them dont appear to be watching the game

- The Gloves look awkward.

# 65 WaddupCouzin @ 02/13/09 08:47 AM
Coming from a MLB Show fan, the game is looking good! I enjoy seeing the catcher follow on the double play. The Atmosphere was serious! I may actually pick this game up on the 3rd.

# 66 bryan_05 @ 02/13/09 09:07 AM
Hello State Farm!

Just pickin apart Wrigley a bit. And what is that brown & red building?

# 67 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/13/09 09:17 AM
Not much to say because I was late to the party.....

I will say that Pujols stand doesn't look that bad. I think him not going thru the full animation after he steps out of the box is what is making it look bad & un-natural...

BTW did anyone look @ his fore-arms... Talk about detail. You can see his veins if you put face real-close to the screen.. LOL

# 68 stealyerface @ 02/13/09 09:37 AM
Well, as much as I look forward to the first videos, the new critique season, and then buckle my seatbelt for the obligatory, "Pujols' shoelaces are crossed the wrong way for the fact he is right handed, and would NEVER start with a left-lace cross- 2K sucks again", the one thing that stood out immediately that Blazer and I have gone round and round about every year, is the seemingly better interpretation of the size of the field.

Maybe it is the camera angle, maybe it is the settings for this first video, but it seems to me that the outfield now looks like the expanse of lawn that they are in real life, and the models of the players are scaled appropriately this year. That double in the gap would have been caught last year, as the players were just too big and had way too much range. I can see another slider tweak on the way for the speed, but at least the core is there for a more properly scaled field/player ratio. Even the infield seems to have a little more space that looks far more accurate than previous iterations of the game. Anyone else seems to notice this right away?

syf

# 69 Trevytrev11 @ 02/13/09 09:48 AM
Isn't Wrigley one of the few stadiums that plays the organ during games? Hopefully, it's just a Wrigley thing and not an every stadium thing this year. And if they are going to offer the organ, give us an option to shut it off.

# 70 Trevytrev11 @ 02/13/09 10:02 AM
One other thing that was a little concerning to me was Ludwicks double.

It looks like the centerfielder was shading him to the left and was extremely deep, but that ball was hit well to the gap and would have one hopped the fence for what should have been a stand up double, but the CF is able to get behind the ball and pick it up before it even hits the wall and throws to second for a bang-bang play.

Even with the shift they had on (CF to the left) there is nobody that could get that jump and cut that ball off before it gets to the wall.

Hopefully the shift was just more dramatic than it looked (seems when the video flashes to the OF after the hit, the CF is standing only a few feet infront of the warning track, which is weird ever with a guy with power).

It's just that easy doubles have always been fewer and father between than they should be.

# 71 ckarlic @ 02/13/09 10:04 AM
I must say that the game looks much better in motion than it does with the screenshots. I like the atmosphere of the game. I noticed that there were police sirens in the background which is cool.

# 72 nemesis04 @ 02/13/09 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
I must say that the game looks much better in motion than it does with the screenshots. I like the atmosphere of the game. I noticed that there were police sirens in the background which is cool.
All that crime in Chicago! lol

# 73 bakesalee @ 02/13/09 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_Carew29
I am a 100%, certified The Show kinda guy...but I will say that the 2 clips dated February 13 are VERY, VERY impressive
Are you kidding? This is what the 2k baseball series has looked like, and played like for what seems like a decade.

# 74 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
Are you kidding? This is what the 2k baseball series has looked like, and played like for what seems like a decade.
So far the game looks quite a bit better than last year, in terms of both graphics and presentation. Gameplay looks better too.

# 75 stlchamp10 @ 02/13/09 10:18 AM
Did anybody notice one of the Cardinals players running back to the dugout and use the steps to get inside after the inning was over? Great touch, I hated it when they just stood there.

# 76 nemesis04 @ 02/13/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlchamp10
Did anybody notice one of the Cardinals players running back to the dugout and use the steps to get inside after the inning was over? Great touch, I hated it when they just stood there.

I noticed that as well. I thought it was a nice attention to detail.

# 77 Blzer @ 02/13/09 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlchamp10
It's because they need to get in there. The game all runs seamlessly, it doesn't just become a "cut scene" of them going into the dugout, if that makes sense.

# 78 brendanrfoley @ 02/13/09 10:37 AM
My first, gut reaction (before having time to really digest the vids) is... WOW. The real-time world and Virtual Director is friggn' incredible. The cuts/cameras look like a televised broadcast.

# 79 idesign2 @ 02/13/09 10:41 AM
I purchased a PS3 last week just so I could play The Show, so I've already made up my mind as to what game I'm going with this year.

Having said that, I'm really impressed by these videos of 2K9. Looks like they made great strides in making it look like a real baseball game. The lighting at Wrigley, while it may not have the awesome shadowing of The Show, still looks very realistic.

If 2K can improve on NEXT year's game as much as this year's, I might have a difficult decision to make.

# 80 Blzer @ 02/13/09 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjwm
Yeah, what would happen if they couldn't get back in there for whatever reason? lol
The game would go haywire.
To be fair, I do think that the game in fact does re-load stuff after every half inning, hence the "fade to black" that I just noticed after rewatching.

But yeah, I can imagine this thing took a long while to implement. Even things like the dugout position and distance for each stadium needed to be implemented properly. Imagine if they didn't figure that out and a player goes straight into a wall (instead of going on the stairs), and does the "crash and fall" animation, and the programming prompts Thorne to go, "OH, look out!"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.