Home
Madden 2010 News Post

The latest Madden NFL 10 blog is online. This week it's all about creating the 'sim-style' gameplay.

Quote:
"From the very beginning of the year, we've tried to make clear our vision for Madden - one of authenticity, realism, & simulation (aka 'sim'). There is no doubt that we all want to turn this game into the most realistic version of Madden in history. This week I wanted to touch on some of the changes we've made (and struggles we've had) while trying to achieve this goal for Madden NFL 10."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 spit_bubble @ 03/10/09 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
Some thoughts for all the Madden developers:

You guys aren't creating something real, just the illusion of reality... So really it only needs to closely resemble what the gamer recognizes as football.

In other words, you have some leeway for error, as long as it doesn't ruin the illusion and resemble something other than football.

I studied Art while in college and early American painters were criticized because their paintings had too much detail. They took the time to meticulously fill in everything, leaving nothing to the imagination. Meanwhile their European counterparts better understood the art of perception. They realized that they only needed to provide the proper elements... Those elements which their subject was composed of... And the rest took care of itself, within the viewers mind!

So my advice to you is to concern yourself with the elements of football. Breakdown the game into what it is and what it is trying to be, both in terms of the action on the field and the statistical results. If you can capture those elements properly and with accuracy, you needn't worry about every last minuscule detail.

^ By the way, easier said than done.

# 122 Cryolemon @ 03/10/09 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
great job, but that running backs coach should be fired for the back taking the handoff with the wrong arm up. Inside arm should always be up.
Lol.

# 123 Exonerated @ 03/10/09 05:04 AM
Agreed. I get blasted by my coach when I don't have inside arm up.

Same with inside foot up when WR is in a 2 point stance at the line of scrimmage.

SOme little stuff like that lolz. Not really important, but annoying to those drilled with these silly rules from pee wee.

# 124 Exonerated @ 03/10/09 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
I stated this once but I must state it again. I have a feeling that EA is lettin those nuts hang this year. Developers are active, and keeping their ear to the street level, talking directly to the people. Fight Night 4, Madden, and NCAA are going to be the **** this year. Whoever doesnt agree, lets put money on it, lol.
Fifa is gonna be awesome too lol.

# 125 JMD @ 03/10/09 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drventure
man August can not come here fast enough
I'll second that, I hate to wish summer away but I can't wait for Madden 10 to come out. These improvemnts are looking great. From the looks of things when we put Madden 10 in our console of choice this year we will be experiencing a new football game, not just last years game with a few upgrades. Madden 10 looks like it will have a whole new feel and look to it.

# 126 johnprestonevans @ 03/10/09 07:27 AM
Awesome! Im getting hyped for this game already...and im a presentation whore! But these gameplay advancements sound absolutely amazing. Great work Ian. thanks for posting.

# 127 TheWatcher @ 03/10/09 08:11 AM
One more time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
"This poll proves that people never can seem to agree on game speed. So what did we do? Well first we decided to decrease the game speed by 5% overall. As subtle as that change to game speed may sound, it has drastically improved the overall control of the game. It is definitely easier to identify the hole created by the offensive line. Scanning the field as routes develop make it easier to keep passes out of harm's way. But we know that not everyone wants that style, so we also included a GAME SPEED SLIDER. Finally right? J"

YES!!!
With a little lens flare

# 128 BigL @ 03/10/09 08:43 AM
Im thrilled to see the overall game speed is going to be slowed down. I was in the boat who felt the game play speed was way too fast. Particularly in the passing game everything happened way too fast from the QB's drop back speed to the bullet passes. By the time your QB was set your receivers were barely into their routes and you're caught waiting for them to get open which resulted in sacks. Its one of the reasons why I preferred to play online more because the game online did not play as quickly and it made it so much easier to obersve what was going on.

And hopefully there will be differences in the drop back speed of a Byron Leftwich (slow as malasis) to that of a Matt Hasselbeck who drops and sets quickly.

# 129 STLRams @ 03/10/09 09:00 AM
Wow, thats all I can say now - touch passing - thank you. This drove me crazy in Madden 09. I hated the passing in that game because you couldn't throw the ball at the right speed to throw the ball over one defenders head, but not to high or hard so another could get it. It seems now you can put more touch on passes - I loved this in NFL 2K5. I'm impressed so far being a NFL 2K5 fanatic - you guys are getting closer for me to finally put that game in the closet. Hopefully you guys have factored in player fatigue properly because players do get tired and subs play a huge role in a NFL game, so hopefully with autosub on we see bench players coming in on plays.

Now if after all these improvements you guys have finally matched NFL 2K5 presentation aspect, I will finally throw away that game. Thank you for making the game more SIM - those Madden Nation players on those ESPN shows will probably cry and hate the game because they but they need to learn to play SIM instead of using cheese. I can't believe SIM football is returning to Madden - thank you... now please have a blog showing improvements to the presentation.

# 130 LBzrule @ 03/10/09 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
We saw how the new WR acceleration affects the DBs, didn't we (with animations for jumping the route or trailing)? Along with the jostling video. Ian also mentioned that LBs will bump WRs that come in their zone based on procedural awareness (though we didn't see a video of that).
Yeah, let me be a bit more explicit. Front 7 on defense.

# 131 greenegt @ 03/10/09 11:43 AM
Just wow. Talk about going in the right direction. Seeing all of these blogs makes it hard for me to pop Madden 09 back in.

# 132 raphael @ 03/10/09 11:48 AM
I'm so excited about Madden 10, I think I just wet my pants.

# 133 pigspigs76 @ 03/10/09 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinDave
Can we use custom sliders for online league play?
i hope so

# 134 TheWatcher @ 03/10/09 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJbf...eature=related

the new dropback animation looks a lot like this. This is a positve step. It looks way more natural with the Qb's arms lower, and his steps slower. I really hope the throwing animation is improved as well.
I thought it looked a lot like APF's myself.

I wonder what the pump fakes will look like.

# 135 glitchditcher @ 03/10/09 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
With all of these new sim-gameplay additions to Madden 10, does this mean the Madden Nation TV show will be cancelled, or might we see actual "normal" gamers on the show. Not these thug gangsters...
I fail to see how adding sim-gameplay additions would lead to the show being canceled and/or the decline of thug gamers. Are you saying thug gamers ONLY cheeze? Thug games wouldn't be able to play a more sim-style game ? I'm far from a "thug gangster" myself, but that sounds a bit ignorant.

# 136 youALREADYknow @ 03/10/09 01:45 PM
While this is a great step towards fixing the "Speed Curve", the game speed in Madden will not be realistic and conducive to sim play until there are properly weighted Acceleration and Deceleration based on ratings and momentum.

It's hard to look at those charts based solely on the SPD rating and not assume that the ACC rating will yet again play little to no impact in player movement from 0-10 yards.

I sincerely hope you guys are taking acceleration of every player as seriously as you did for the WR/DB interaction. Acceleration/Deceleration combined with the changes you made to the speed to ratings curve will change the gameplay in Madden drastically towards simulation and away from arcade.

Great work overall (as usual this year), but I hope you guys aren't taking the quick shortcut for speed and player movement.

# 137 canes21 @ 03/10/09 01:58 PM
Is this in NCAA?

# 138 wordtobigbird @ 03/10/09 02:17 PM
Quote:
With all of these new sim-gameplay additions to Madden 10, does this mean the Madden Nation TV show will be cancelled, or might we see actual "normal" gamers on the show. Not these thug gangsters...
thug gangsters?

youre an idiot lol.

# 139 Cryolemon @ 03/10/09 02:26 PM
Quote:
Thug gangster wannabes maybe.

# 140 GSW @ 03/10/09 02:38 PM
Quote:
what is a "normal" gamer?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.