Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog. This one covers customization, plus a "behind the scenes" look at a design document.

Quote:
"Hello again Madden fans, we're back again with another weekly blog detailing some more behind-the-scenes exclusive content from the development team as we create Madden NFL 10. Last week was a very busy week with our president Peter Moore presenting the first screenshot [link] and our Art Director Mike Young going into some extreme detail in regards to the improvements and additions made in the shot [link]. This week we thought it would be a good idea to go deeper into an area that we know is very near and dear to the community - the topic of customization.

A typical trait of every game designer is that usually they are in love with their ideas. This is usually always a really good thing (assuming their ideas are good) because if you don't like an idea that you are designing or working on implementing, often you won't have the passion to get that "extra something" into the feature to make it special, or tune it 100% correctly, or make it really stand out. As you might expect, this can also be a major downside to a designer, as often times it is easy to get stuck thinking where you know (or think) you are right and you don't want to change that idea. It is so hard to not be defensive...after all, you put your blood sweat and tears into this feature! You worked til 3 am for a week putting in extra details and tuning it to perfection! How could anyone not feel the same way you do?!?!?"

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jfsolo @ 03/30/09 07:32 PM
Quote:
Injuries

Currently found on the "GAMEPLAY"
- Revise from an On/Off to a SLIDER
- Slider should default in the middle, min/max ranges to be determined by the central gameplay team

Fatigue

Currently found on the "GAMEPLAY"
- Revise from an On/Off to a SLIDER
- Slider should default in the middle, min/max ranges to be determined by the central gameplay team

Game Speed
(NEW)

- Built as a toggle with 5 values - Very Slow, Slow, Normal, Fast, & Very Fast (better than making a slider so we can more easily track it's effect on online de-sync rates)
- The actual numbers behind these options will be determined by the design team once the functionality is in place to tune it.

Player Speed Differential
(NEW)

- Full 0-100 slider that compresses the range of speeds between players
- Skill levels will change this value by default

Player Names
(NEW)

- Toggle to allow the player to turn on/off player names
- Options are "Always On", "Pre-Snap Only", and "Off"
These are the areas that I really like.

We've heard about it before, but the Game speed and Player Speed Differential toggle/slider is really going to allow the User make a major impact on how the game plays for them.

I can't speak to how its going to be for online players, but it seems like Franchise players are going to be able to tighten things up quite nicely, if necessary.

# 42 bonannogiovanni @ 03/30/09 07:32 PM
Threshould should mean at what point you want the play clock stop accelarating. For example in APF 2K8 this threshould is at 20 seconds left

# 43 bowdown2shadi @ 03/30/09 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta
Happy to see some things making a return along with some new things already mentioned. Was hoping it was Player customization but this is good too. I'm interested about Accelerated Clock Threshold

I would be lying if I said wasn't a little disappointed but then again with the press release happening this week too I probably shouldn't be.

The Picture Remains!!!

Haha man, how long you going to be hoping for that picture?

We still have months left, they cant release the big cheese yet!

# 44 RGiles36 @ 03/30/09 07:37 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned this:

CPU Skill: Sets How Successful the CPU is in ALL Aspects of the Game

I.E. CPU SLIDERS!!

# 45 g2thecore @ 03/30/09 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1

We are going to finally get a football simulation from EA...I'll be damned.
It looks like it. Every little news we get seems to indicate that. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

# 46 Hotlanta @ 03/30/09 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
Threshould should mean at what point you want the play clock stop accelarating. For example in APF 2K8 this threshould is at 20 seconds left
Hmm...I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdown2shadi
Haha man, how long you going to be hoping for that picture?

We still have months left, they cant release the big cheese yet!

Until I see confirmation or a screenshot showing me team colored cleats! I wouldn't consider it big but something long overdue and meh I'll keep doing it till Madden '11 if I have to lol.

EDIT: No you won't.

# 47 marshallfever @ 03/30/09 07:44 PM
Thank you very much Ian, however to me personally that was extremely boring. I'm not the type to go change settings and customize this and that. You guys do a good job with that, i only want to and play a game and enjoy the features and overall gameplay.

But i'm pretty sure i'm in the minority so everyone else must of liked this update. Still good to see feedback from developers to community.

# 48 KANE699 @ 03/30/09 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
well i can say there wont be these penalties in the game and there called about 1 time per game
Illegal substitution
More than 11 players on the field at the snap
Encroachment
Illegal formation
Illegal substitution
Neutral zone infraction
Tripping by a member of either team
Illegal block above the waist
Chop block
Unsportsman like conduct
the ones they cant figure out just make them randomly called
then they can use some kind of cutaway scene eather way no new penalties added i have herd the word sim over and over so dont lecture me im only trying to get the game better as for the timeouts yeah you know how many you have cause you can go to your pause screen that tells you if you didnt have that screen you might forget how many you had it happens
Please tell me the last time you saw the illegal timeout rule used. It ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS. Once a season if that.

Also the neutral zone infraction is in madden it just doesn't have a slider, its just called off sides, if you line up past the ball its called in madden.

I and I am sure other players of this game don't want random penalties just called on either team just because you want them to occur once a game, especially since we already cant control when there is a holding or block in the back call in the game now.

There is no true way to simulate these penalties into the game except for maybe the formation and substitution penalties.

I'd like to see illegal shift put in but first we have to have the ability to motion more than one player presnap and as of yet we do not have this ability.

# 49 mvb34 @ 03/30/09 07:50 PM
I'm like know more about "Play Call Style"

# 50 KANE699 @ 03/30/09 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrob
if you play online you constantly have someone changling the formation 3 to 4 times then hikes the ball to get an advantage if you incorporated all the illegal stuff formation crap whatever basically if you change formations you could be a victim of a random illegal penalty called that would get rid of the cheesers knowing if they do flip shift and all that other wacky crap to gain advantages that they might get called for it. so basically madden game logic wont call it if you dont do it if you do do it you may or may not be called for it. so you might get rewarded and you might not it sure would make players think before doing all the corny crap online.
I'd love to see an illegal shift called in the game if you audible more than twice on a play. This doesn't involve audibling twice and then motioning someone but more than 2 audibles in a play is ridiculous and should be stopped immediately.

# 51 KANE699 @ 03/30/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
To Hotlanta-

If you take that picture of those team colored cleats down, I don't know what I'll do...but it's gonna be bad bro...real bad...

EA, please. For the love of sunlight & all that is good. Add team colored cleats!!!
As long as we get the cleats just like the gloves and elbow bands in the primary and secondary team colors.

# 52 NYyankz225 @ 03/30/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
I agree 1 million, billion, trillion, gazillion percent!!!!

+5
+20.

Stop that audible nonsense online!

# 53 DLaren @ 03/30/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

I can't speak to how its going to be for online players, but it seems like Franchise players are going to be able to tighten things up quite nicely, if necessary.
Exactly right, this has been my favorite blog thus far and I am going to have a glorious time playing with those speed-differential sliders; plus it looks like it's safe to assume that the CPU sliders are back also.

Then we have accelerated clock back and a host of other options to tinker with...all I need now is the 'auto-throw' option or something equivalent and I'll be all set.

# 54 KANE699 @ 03/30/09 08:00 PM
Quote:
I agree 1 million, billion, trillion, gazillion percent!!!!

+5
I mean I don't see that on sunday and the in game gameplay is meant to be only the stuff you see on Sunday right?

# 55 KANE699 @ 03/30/09 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
+20.

Stop that audible nonsense online!
All it does is glitch the defense out of place and usually ends up leaving a reciever wide open, its nonsense.

# 56 jfsolo @ 03/30/09 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
Exactly right, this has been my favorite blog thus far and I am going to have a glorious time playing with those speed-differential sliders; plus it looks like it's safe to assume that the CPU sliders are back also.

Then we have accelerated clock back and a host of other options to tinker with...all I need now is the 'auto-throw' option or something equivalent and I'll be all set.
Quote:
Coach Mode
(NEW)

- On/Off toggle that allows the CPU to have full control of the QB
Do you think this is what you're looking for?

# 57 RiversIsMyHero @ 03/30/09 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren

If you mean auto-throw as in the CPU controls the QB there was an option called "coach mode" listed in the blog that does it.

# 58 Jistic @ 03/30/09 08:05 PM
So wait, am I reading this right? Special teams are GLOBAL? Does this mean we cannot change the setting for CPU or Human individually?

I hope I"m wrong. If not, why?

Also are the penalties the same? Will the sliders actually have more impact on penalties?

I LOVE the fact that we can go full bore with stat overlays and replay frequency though Ian, I've been crying for years about that. THank you.

# 59 coogrfan @ 03/30/09 08:07 PM
Ohhhh, yeaaaaaaah....

# 60 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 03/30/09 08:09 PM
Nice, more camera options, oh and Jistic, whats my Girl doing in your Avatar...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.