Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

The PC patch for Major League Baseball 2K9 is now available. Please download it and post your impressions here. The download is about 38 MB.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DaveDQ @ 04/03/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
Then don't play it and get the hell out of here.
Thank you.

# 22 DaveDQ @ 04/03/09 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Okay...some quick impressions:

***Please bear in mind these are all on DEFAULT to allow for the most fair comparison. Some improvements/changes may be possible with slider tweaks***

-AI aggression: Mixed bag. I'm a bit disappointed, actually. First, let me say it IS CLEARLY IMPROVED...lol. Just wanted to say that so nobody thinks it didn't get addressed...it did. The IE is fixed, but the results are minimal overall. Guys will take slightly more pitches, but you still have to dance on the edges.

Occassionally the AI will take a pitch a bit more in the zone, but it still needs to be close to the edge. I grooved several 3-0 fastballs and they swung every time still. I even loaded the bases and tried it (I mean, a mediocre hitter (and most very good hitters, to boot) won't be swinging 3-0 no matter WHERE you put it, but no-go. AI hit into a pop-out.

They will take a few pitches more over the plate though. If you're behind in the count and throw it to their cold zone, they'll likely hold off. This is both blessing and curse though as it's clear (to me, at least) that the AI is WAY too tied to their hot/cold zones.

In the end, it's improved, but likely not the game saver some might have been hoping for. If you were just wanting a slight tweak and were already enjoying the game for the most part, then you should be pleased, however.

-OF play: This is the biggest improvement I noticed. MUCH less herky-jerky and more fluid paths to the ball. There is still that annoying slow down and it can negatively impact a play still, but the fact that the twitchy play has been mostly eliminated is a HUGE plus. Well done, overall on this one.

-1B Glitch: Can't really comment on this as I never had this problem, not once. Needless to say, I still had no troubles post-patch if that helps anyone...lol.

-Batting Stance Snap-Back: GREATLY reduced. The transition still has a very slight hitch, but nothing like it was pre-patch. This was a pleasant surprise.

-Pitching accuracy: I noticed people saying (for the PS3 version) that there was a more realistic degree of variance. I don't see it. Either it didn't make it's way to PC or it's too small for me to tell. Pitches still go where you want on default control. I haven't tried it with release timing on post-patch. This should be a no-brainer to add though, if you're looking for more challenging pitching regardless of the patch, IMO.

-Animations: Less instances of jerky animations overall, it seems. Obviouslt the issues with base animations aren't going anywhere, but some of the transitions seem better and they seem to have toned down the opportunity for you to see guys doing dumb stuff.

Overall, the early returns are mixed. It's clearly a more playable than before (particularly the OF), but the real test will be if we can get some good sliders for the new AI aggression. Hopefully with good sliders, the difference will be more pronounced. As I said, this was all on DEFAULT so it's not time to hit the panic button. I was just personally underwhelmed with the AI agression tweak is all.

Didn't have a chance to dive into Franchise Mode and check any of that out, sorry. I'll leave more impressions (perhaps slider ideas too, if no one gets to that first) as I come accross stuff.

***Again, FINAL DISCLAIMER...lol...these are INITIAL impressions. Not definitive or meant to be anything other than potentially informative.***

EDIT: Wireless 360 controller seems 100% good to go now. My settings actually save for classic/zone hitting! Good stuff.

EDIT #2: A small thing, but important (at least to me) the fans now cheer for the right team now. Pre-patch, there were times when they would mix up and cheer for the road team making a good play and boo the home team for making a good play. This hasn't happened at all since the patch.

As I said, it's minor...but something I noticed.
Thanks for the very well done impressions. I think it's safe to say they knew this game was entirely unfunushed and put it out the door. How do you get to all these things in what two weeks?

# 23 ramenite @ 04/03/09 06:56 PM
Well, I played a game Rays @ Pirates(me). Used the legend sliders, except I put the cpu "strike zone tendency" to 0--this still lets you unlock cards.

Rays 05 - 12 - 00
Pirates 04 - 10 - 01

Pitch counts seem to be the big thing. With that SZT setting to 0, the Rays pitched 161 for 60B and 101Ks. I'm not sure if it was that I was using different settings, or if the pitching was harder, but I had 112 for 38K and 74Ks. I drew SIX walks, and unintentionally threw one myself.

The only error was Jack Wilson booting a ground ball. The outfielders played well, and no first base issues. Overall I think this patch fixed everything that it was supposed to.

# 24 SoxFan01605 @ 04/03/09 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Thanks for the very well done impressions. I think it's safe to say they knew this game was entirely unfunushed and put it out the door. How do you get to all these things in what two weeks?
No prob.

You bring up a good point about the state of the game. It was likely unreasonable to expect drastic improvements given the rushed state of the product overall. That said, I think they did a solid job overall in addressing these issues in the given time.

Some of them are just tough to balance to please everyone in such a short time (not excusing the initial issue that pu them in this position, but hopefully you get the drift)

The AI improvement is particulary tough becuase I can easily see people complaining if it were tweaked too much in the other direction. If the CPU never swung, it would be far too easy to exploit. i do think it is something they will have to revisit for 2K10, if they are serious about getting great pitcher/batter duels, however.

I've played another game and the importnat thing to note is overall the game feels less "glitchy" and on the brink of something either comedically rediculous or potentially disasterous...lol. It feels a bit more polished overall. Hopefully some good sliders can help amplify the AI batting tweaks and the game should certainly be more playable for plenty of people.

As I said before too, if you were looking for the patch to literally "save" the game for you, you'll probably be let down. Some of the stuff is probably too subtle in that regard.

However, those who were already mostly happy with the game or at least just barely less than satisfied, should find the game fairly solid now. The improvement is noticeable and the fielding in general is a considerable improvement...not perfect by any stretch, but significantly better.

Overall, it's a solid improvement and PC users should be fairly pleased, I think. That's also without checking the franchise improvements (some of which are, like the FA thing, from the first console patch too) that should help the overall experience as well.

# 25 ramenite @ 04/03/09 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniotall
was the cpu hacking at everything?
No, they were working counts, and I was getting called strikes in may different counts(not just first pitch)

# 26 SoxFan01605 @ 04/03/09 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
These are the best impressions yet. Thanks man. I'm still on the fence if I want to pick this up again for the ps3. I bought it once for the 360 and buying it twice seems lucricrous to me. I could rent it again and give it a shot. I've spent way too much money on baseball games this year though lol. Even renting it is an oxymoron because it just costs more money. I actually enjoyed this game prepatch though and i figure i'd enjoy it more post patch. I really miss the realtime stuff and the game overall was fun. But these companies suck ultimately and have me pigeon holed in spending my hard earned money. Both 2k and the show. I think i'm going to say no here.
If you have the system to run it, and you liked it that much pre-patch, I don't see any reason (other than money, of course) to not pick up the PC version. You can get it from Amazon for as low as 10$, I believe, and it can be modded for better stadiums, equipments, overlays, ads, indicators, player faces, etc.

Plus, most importantly a roster editor is in the works that could allow you (with some limitations still it seems) to edit stances/deliveries, pitch types, and get around the editing limit from the looks of things.

So it might just be a good fit for you. It won't play differently than the console version, but as I said, if you already liked it, you'd likely be fine with that.

# 27 brendanrfoley @ 04/03/09 08:00 PM
Is Inside Edge fixed, or "patched." I ask because there's a chance the Inside Edge sliders may have a greater impact on players' chase tendencies, etc.

# 28 zzyzx @ 04/03/09 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mniner2003
How does that song from Motley Crue go??? "Girl, don't go away mad. Girl, just go away!"
Well played!

# 29 zzyzx @ 04/03/09 09:00 PM
Just simmed a season in franchise mode to see if my #1 complaint has been resolved: inability of cpu-controlled franchises to sign free agents.

It has.

Not only has it been fixed, but it demonstrates remarkable intelligence. After simming the 2009 season, I noted all of the top free agent hitters and pitchers. By the start of the 2010 season, all had been signed but one. The lone exception? Gary Sheffield.

Works for me! (sorry, Mets fans)

# 30 davep @ 04/03/09 09:07 PM
my own sliders in franchise:

-more fluid game
-can see the pitch better when i'm batting (might be placebo effect)
-i do pitch more wildly occasionally...it's every so often but definitely there
-outfielders catch no problems now

I only played about 3 innings but I definitely saw some improvements!

# 31 SoxFan01605 @ 04/03/09 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Is Inside Edge fixed, or "patched." I ask because there's a chance the Inside Edge sliders may have a greater impact on players' chase tendencies, etc.
Yes it is.

That's why I said that the sliders might make things better from the default changes I noticed. I haven't had a chance to check yet, but the fact that IE is indeed fixed leaves the door open to some improvement with sliders (I would think).

# 32 brendanrfoley @ 04/03/09 10:07 PM
Thanks for the update, SoxFan.

Keep the impressions coming!

# 33 MLB @ 04/03/09 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint19
Man the internet is brutal....geez why do have to treat each other this way?
Because he's a lame prick..

# 34 zzyzx @ 04/04/09 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
I'll one up ya.. I'm deleting the game and I'll never visit the 2K section of this forum after this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
Because he's a lame prick.
Someone has a taste for irony.

# 35 PES3Paul @ 04/04/09 12:50 AM
My game, post-patch, has slowed down to the point where every menu screen, everything, period, it's like walking in a river of molasses. I just purchased an NVIDIA 9400 GS graphics card, an upgrade from my 7900. Before the patch, the game was crisp, smooth as silk at 1440 x 900. But not anymore. I have a 3.2Ghz machine, and it feels like I can't win for losing. Has anyone experiences slowdown with the patch. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, rebooted my machine, and everything's in super-slow motion.

I downloaded the patch direct from the 2K sports website. HELP!

# 36 SoxFan01605 @ 04/04/09 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES3Paul
My game, post-patch, has slowed down to the point where every menu screen, everything, period, it's like walking in a river of molasses. I just purchased an NVIDIA 9400 GS graphics card, an upgrade from my 7900. Before the patch, the game was crisp, smooth as silk at 1440 x 900. But not anymore. I have a 3.2Ghz machine, and it feels like I can't win for losing. Has anyone experiences slowdown with the patch. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, rebooted my machine, and everything's in super-slow motion.

I downloaded the patch direct from the 2K sports website. HELP!
Not sure what to tell you. the game's been running at the same speed for me. Is this the first time playing since you upgraded cards? Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall. Then repatch.

I'm no computer guru (so take this with a big 'ol grain...lol), but I had to do that once after switching graphics cards. It's like it didn't recognize my old saves properly or something. Makes no technical sense from what I can tell, but it worked.

# 37 tril @ 04/04/09 01:40 AM
@PEZPAUL
something else is slowing down your pc.
does your pc have enough processing power for the new video card, did you uninstall the old drivers from your old video card?
did you go to the add/remove screen and uninstall the old video card?

just sounds like you have an issue with processing power/speed.

load another game and see if your pc still slows down?

# 38 PES3Paul @ 04/04/09 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
@PEZPAUL
something else is slowing down your pc.
does your pc have enough processing power for the new video card, did you uninstall the old drivers from your old video card?
did you go to the add/remove screen and uninstall the old video card?

just sounds like you have an issue with processing power/speed.

load another game and see if your pc still slows down?
I did load another game, NBA2k9, and that works like a charm. I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Processor. Old drivers eliminated, the 9400 drivers in place. Maybe it's just my copy of the game. 2GB RAM, too.

# 39 Saint19 @ 04/04/09 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB
Because he's a lame prick..
"Can't we all just get along?"

# 40 bcruise @ 04/04/09 02:39 AM
One thing the patch is doing is really helping me appreciate IE more. It's a lot easier to see it at work when players will actually perform according to the scouting reports - "Chase" zones actually mean something now.

I definitely agree with what Soxfan said above - you do have to live on (and off) the corners if you want the CPU to take pitches consistently. But I seem to recall a highly touted game that was just like that in it's default state... it's called MVP 2005.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.