Madden 2010 News Post

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 jmood88 @ 04/25/09 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSherrod
I think the OS crowd is confusing our probable 5% piece of the Madden buying pie to be much larger than it actually is. That segment was obviously played on Rookie and not made with any of us in mind, it was a comedic piece to advertise the game that happened to show off some new features.

A lot of people play Madden to play a video game where they can play as NFL players, but have fun and throw 50 yard bombs. There are 5-year old kids who are probably pretty decent at most video games, but have no idea what the difference between a 4-3 and a 3-4 is. There are guys aged 50 years old that have a great understanding of the game of football and the strategy, but have no idea the difference between the Left Bumper and the Left Trigger or what the hell an analog stick is. Madden sells to both those people, as well as us. EA has a difficulty level for those people and us. End of rant.
You know that's great and all but they have these guys coming here talking about how different everything is, how they're trying to make a game that people on this site would enjoy but we have yet to see anything that would show that.

# 162 Bgamer90 @ 04/25/09 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
Then why are they playing a football simulation then? With great power comes great responsibility.. It's up to Ian & Co. to change the way the community plays. People play that way because the game allows them to. If that ball that was thrown was a duck, guess what?! People would slowly start to stop throwing off their back foot.

Everyone that plays Madden are atleast football fans. When they play Madden, they are doing those "un-sim" things because they know it will put them in the best position to win. It makes the Jimmy Fallons of the world feel good when they are beating football savvy people. This has to change.. Hell this was supposed to have changed!

Rookie and pro is catered to the casuals. You want to make the casuals happy since the casuals are the reason why the game sells so well. You want to make them have an enjoyable experience and not be frustrated since they won't get the game anymore. And while madden is a sim, the game sells so much that they need to also cater to the casuals.

Again, you don't want to force these people to play a certain way. All you can really do is give them tips. If they are doing stupid things than most people (well I know I would) would want to bank on that. So yeah I see where you are coming from but in the end, with all the improvements that are being made, if they play on all-pro (the online difficulty setting) or all-madden, it's going to be hard for them to do this type of stuff.

I guess what we all can agree on is that the 80 yard bomb pass in the video wasn't good looking. But since he was playing on rookie I don't see what there is to get really really upset about (unless you play on rookie).

Also there will be sliders to tune just about all aspects of the game to your liking and on top of that, the game itself is still being tuned and worked on. So yeah... in summary, it seems like everyone will be able to enjoy the game offline since they can tune it the way they want and also since the differences in difficulty levels are probably the biggest that they have ever been in any Madden game.

# 163 jmood88 @ 04/25/09 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Rookie and pro is catered to the casuals. You want to make the casuals happy since the casuals are the reason why the game sells so well. You want to make them have an enjoyable experience and not be frustrated since they won't get the game anymore. And while madden is a sim, the game sells so much that they need to also cater to the casuals.

Again, you don't want to force these people to play a certain way. All you can really do is give them tips. If they are doing stupid things than most people (well I know I would) would want to bank on that. So yeah I see where you are coming from but in the end, with all the improvements that are being made, if they play on all-pro (the online difficulty setting) or all-madden, it's going to be hard for them to do this type of stuff.

I guess what we all can agree on is that the 80 yard bomb pass in the video wasn't good looking. But since he was playing on rookie I don't see what there is to get really really upset about (unless you play on rookie).

Also there will be sliders to tune just about all aspects of the game to your liking and on top of that, the game itself is still being tuned and worked on. So yeah... in summary, it seems like everyone will be able to enjoy the game offline since they can tune it the way they want and also since the differences in difficulty levels are probably the biggest that they have ever been in any Madden game.
Who told you that this was on rookie or pro?

# 164 Bgamer90 @ 04/25/09 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
You know that's great and all but they have these guys coming here talking about how different everything is, how they're trying to make a game that people on this site would enjoy but we have yet to see anything that would show that.
The marketing team makes videos for the casuals.

Ian doesn't have control over what the PR team releases. All the videos made by the marketing team are set to rookie.

# 165 Bgamer90 @ 04/25/09 03:19 PM
Quote:
Who told you that this was on rookie or pro?
Ian has said himself that the trailer and the video of Jimmy playing was on rookie.

Here's a link:
Quote:
*DISCLAIMER*

- You are going to see some very cringe-worthy stuff (IMO) in the first segment with Fitz...it was captured by random people that a) don't know how to play the game, b) were using old builds, and c) were using damn Rookie mode again

# 166 jfsolo @ 04/25/09 03:30 PM
Today is April 25th, the game comes out on August 14th, I'm pretty sure that by the time the 14th rolls around Ian and company will have shown more than enough videos with sim gameplay for everyone to make an honest evaluation about whether or not the game has improved enough for their liking.

Anyone making prognostications of doom right now is just doing so because of their long standing animus toward EA and exclusivity.

# 167 alliance4g63 @ 04/25/09 03:46 PM
Quote:
I really don't think you are understanding. Games can be catered to the casual and hardcore alike. I can play rock band/guitar hero with friends that range from playing easy to expert because the core mechanics of the game are done so well for us to have that type of contrast.

A Qb dropping back 15 yards is something that is fundamentally wrong with the game because it is not football. If they want to make easier for people to pass have blown assignments. Have their players run faster than the AI players, etc.. But don't have Qb's complete 80 yards passes off their backfoot because that is just not football.

# 168 BSherrod @ 04/25/09 04:13 PM
Quote:
I really don't think you are understanding. Games can be catered to the casual and hardcore alike. I can play rock band/guitar hero with friends that range from playing easy to expert because the core mechanics of the game are done so well for us to have that type of contrast.

A Qb dropping back 15 yards is something that is fundamentally wrong with the game because it is not football. If they want to make easier for people to pass have blown assignments. Have their players run faster than the AI players, etc.. But don't have Qb's complete 80 yards passes off their backfoot because that is just not football.
I'll argue that a 5 year old playing Madden does not know that is it not football.

# 169 jmood88 @ 04/25/09 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSherrod
I'll argue that a 5 year old playing Madden does not know that is it not football.
How many 5 year olds would be playing this on the 360 or ps3?

# 170 EvanRG @ 04/25/09 04:37 PM
Quote:
How many 5 year olds would be playing this on the 360 or ps3?

More than you'd think.

# 171 Bmlives @ 04/25/09 04:49 PM
[I Don't Know if this has been posted before]

Has anyone seen the new Fallon video?

Eat your heart out presentation guys;Help on injuries and Injury carts! Sideline cutscenes and Training bikes? What!? Not to mention those info banners, drop back, sideline activity, all new tackles (Did you see that dirty tackle on Larry?).

This is a must see:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....42409/1091411/

EDIT: My bad, I see the thread with this info. I didn't see the video posted, but here it is. Watch the whole thing.

# 172 Bgamer90 @ 04/25/09 05:11 PM
Quote:

I see what you are saying and I agree in that it's not how you should play football.

However, I'm thinking that Jimmy is too good to be playing on rookie since he was able to do that (and I bet just about anyone here on OS would be able to do that on rookie too).

But anyways, I personally think that they should let users do whatever they want. It's just that there should be more of a penalty to when they make dumb decisions. Like if they drop back, have the button icons rotate between the receivers or something like that so that it would be almost impossible to make a good pass. But yeah once again, if you aren't playing on rookie I don't really get what there is to be really upset about and also on top of that (like I said before) they are still tuning a lot of stuff (the first trailer was made before community day).

So yeah lets see how the future vids will be...

EDIT: Also, your comparison to rock band while understandable, isn't really that good imo since there's different ways you gotta make the casuals happy. In rock band all you need to do is reduce the notes and the game is still enjoyable overall for mostly anyone since the whole game is basically based on just the notes. There's much more involved in madden (or any sports game for that matter when you compare it to music games).

# 173 Bgamer90 @ 04/25/09 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanRG
More than you'd think.
Yeah... there's a whole bunch that play on the 360 and ps3. Some little kids don't want to play on the wii due to graphics (I know my 8-year-old cousin doesn't lol).

# 174 carolina_boi @ 04/25/09 05:23 PM
Ok lets be real here. this guy isnt very skilled in madden , as you can tell from the video that Phil Frazier *senior producer* just let him have his way so that it was fun and easy for him. im liking what i see though as far as gameplay, camera view, and pop up screen (penalty).

The play where the guy threw the ball deep was beautiful. A GREAT EXAMPLE of how the wr/ cb interactions have changed. The first cornerback initially covering the reciever was getting beat by the wr, the wr caught the ball over the cornerback, the cornerback made an effort to tackle the wr once he was beaten and failed therefore the safety had to step up and make the tackle. This is a GREAT JOB by the EA team and a prime example of one of the many great improvements for Madden 10.

# 175 alliance4g63 @ 04/25/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
I see what you are saying and I agree in that it's not how you should play football.

However, I'm thinking that Jimmy is too good to be playing on rookie since he was able to do that (and I bet just about anyone here on OS would be able to do that on rookie too).

But anyways, I personally think that they should let users do whatever they want. It's just that there should be more of a penalty to when they make dumb decisions. Like if they drop back, have the button icons rotate between the receivers or something like that so that it would be almost impossible to make a good pass. But yeah once again, if you aren't playing on rookie I don't really get what there is to be really upset about and also on top of that (like I said before) they are still tuning a lot of stuff (the first trailer was made before community day).

So yeah lets see how the future vids will be...

EDIT: Also, your comparison to rock band while understandable, isn't really that good imo since there's different ways you gotta make the casuals happy. In rock band all you need to do is reduce the notes and the game is still enjoyable overall for mostly anyone since the whole game is basically based on just the notes. There's much more involved in madden (or any sports game for that matter when you compare it to music games).
Jimmy too good to be playing on rookie?! LOL. Naw, the majority of Madden players don't punt and always go for it on 4th. Yet in 2k5(hate to beat a dead horse) that didnt happen much because it would be 21-0 before the end of the first. And that was because that game forced you to play football. I just feel Madden lets too much arcarde like nonsense carry on in a game. It makes it feel more like blitz than a sim football game.

I agree somewhat with the whole let the player play the way they want to. Which is why I disagreed with fair play. BUT! If you were playing a shooter you would want someone just running around in circles and you not being able to kill them just because they like to run around in circles.

# 176 alliance4g63 @ 04/25/09 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmlives
[I Don't Know if this has been posted before]

Has anyone seen the new Fallon video?

Eat your heart out presentation guys;Help on injuries and Injury carts! Sideline cutscenes and Training bikes? What!? Not to mention those info banners, drop back, sideline activity, all new tackles (Did you see that dirty tackle on Larry?).

This is a must see:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....42409/1091411/

EDIT: My bad, I see the thread with this info. I didn't see the video posted, but here it is. Watch the whole thing.
I was finally able to watch this video after many mentioned it was the better video. I will have to say I really don't see much difference from 09, gameplay wise. The passing game seems exactly the same. I'm sorry Madden supporters but I'm just not seeing much worth all the hype. So for the time being, it looks like we got caught with the Madden hype train once again.

# 177 teambayern @ 04/25/09 09:30 PM
This was very disappointing. I don't care about the playcalling interface or the improved graphics or whatnot, i care about that ridiculous drop and 80 yrd completion on 4th.

I know it was probably on rookie, but still, the fact that he was even able to drop that far back without getting sacked is very worriesome. DEFINITELY renting this one before buying, I really hope Ian make this a different game on a higher difficulty. But if I'm really honest with myself, have I ever seen Madden magically transform to a sim on higher difficulties? NO. Sure it will be more balanced, and some things tuned and tweaked, but the problem is so basic. On all-madden, they are really going to have entirely different throwing animations, qb animations, and physics for the ball in flight? I don't buy it.

Ian and the team seem like such great guys. I have to believe that if they can't make it sim, then no one can, and they are just too confined by the existing Madden base. The first comment in the video says it all

"if you played Madden before, this should be pretty familiar to you"

# 178 Monta8 @ 04/25/09 09:40 PM
Did you people really expect a different game? its EA same game with updated rosters, a little better graphics and some new features

# 179 teambayern @ 04/25/09 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monta8
Did you people really expect a different game? its EA same game with updated rosters, a little better graphics and some new features
That's just it though, they really did bill this as the new age. The blog updates, the community day, everything about it was billed as brining a new experience. But unlike when EA did this with FIFA, they didn't build a new engine (probably because Madden hadn't been upstaged the way FIFA was). And because of exclusivity, they never will be upstaged.

I think Microsoft should seize on this and develop inhouse with 2k's guys or buy the rights to backbreaker and upgrade it.

# 180 ballaspence9493 @ 04/25/09 09:57 PM
hahahahaha. i love how he counted down the play clock

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.