Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 boooey @ 07/21/09 10:17 AM
Its Definitely better than last year, thats for sure..
with that said, its another "HALF" done effort from EA.

They could of saved time an money by losing the real NFL people, and just voiced over the actual highlight footage of the game.

It would of been ten times better than the totally generic stuff here, and with no actual game highlights from around the league.. its just lame.

Nothing ever feels finished with this game.. year after year

# 102 harnalien @ 07/21/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
Half time better than last year but still pitifull. Did they actually sit back and watch it then say yeah we nailed it ! Come on... wow. I bet they just skipped through it just like everybody else is goiing to do. EA is the master of trying to do something good but then flubbing it. Guys do it right or don't do it its that simple. Constructive tip... screens are nice but you need more commentary... this isn't the 8 bit era were I need to read everything. I want to sit back drink a brew and watch/Listen to the halftime/post game shows. I don't want to read anything.
My thoughts exactly. Do it right or don't do it at all. It seems like it's one step forward, two steps back. I guess we're supposed to be happy that the effort was made. That's not good enough for me.

# 103 Deegeezy @ 07/21/09 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harnalien
My thoughts exactly. Do it right or don't do it at all. It seems like it's one step forward, two steps back. I guess we're supposed to be happy that the effort was made. That's not good enough for me.
Statements like this are absolutely ridiculous. I think 99% of us would much rather this than nothing at all.

We are so spoiled these days.

# 104 boooey @ 07/21/09 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marginwalker
can't believe people are still whining and complaining about how much better this should be.

guys, this is a new dev team. you can't expect them to have everything in presentation down to a T when there's so much else they had to fix and clean up and improve upon. it's not their fault that the last couple of years of next-gen maddens failed to compete on 2k5's level.
yea, i hear ya.. but as consumers, its not our problem what happens behind the scenes.

You are acting like Tiburon is a new developer just taking over the game for the first time.. This is not the case.
Most of the DEV team is the same as previous years, just with new leads, but who were also part of previous DEV teams.

Man i am so tired of everyone making up any excuse they can to defend EA.
This is just as annoying to me as what you say is complaining and bashing.

Like I said, its better than last year, but it still feels like a Half done effort, and I am just tired of that with Madden.

At least 2k nailed presentation, and animation.
What has Madden nailed to perfection?

# 105 RGiles36 @ 07/21/09 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Statements like this are absolutely ridiculous. I think 99% of us would much rather this than nothing at all.

Agreed 100%

# 106 greenegt @ 07/21/09 10:42 AM
Great job on presentation! This is a banner year for EA football!

# 107 johnprestonevans @ 07/21/09 10:47 AM
I'm this biggest Presentation Whore there is. Post game shows, highlights and broadcast cams have been at the top of my wishlist for years. Sure the Extra Point is not perfect yet, but this is a HUGE leap in the right direction. H-U-G-E! I dont think this was a "half-assed" effort from EA. Madden has been a sinking ship with countless holes to fill since 06. The series sailed to sea with a hull that looked like a cheese-grater for the "next-gen" 360 launch. Im not defending EA and I will admit there is room for improvement, but lets be happy with what do finally do have - a substantial upgrade to presentation & immersion (finally).

# 108 harnalien @ 07/21/09 10:55 AM
Quote:

I guess by saying we are so spoiled you are saying I am spoiled since you are satisfied with this. As I said, there have been countless statements of "at least we have this." It just gets old. From what was shown of the halftime, I would skip it because it is the same stats given as while the game is playing. The highlights don't have any substance. I feel just like you just in the opposite way. I feel 99% would rather have more but are OK with accepting what is given.

# 109 boooey @ 07/21/09 10:57 AM
you know.. if I would have never played any of the 2K games, I would think that this halftime show was great.

Unfortunately 2K set the bar years ago, and even with 2K out of the way, EA refused to even look at that game knowing that was what the customers really wanted.
Was it the arrogance of the EA DEVS that they totally ignore this game? lack of talent? I do not know.

But what I do know is that it is really hard to feel so grateful to EA because they finally implemented a halftime show that is only half as good as a 5 year old game.

Go ahead and label me as one of those that will never be pleased .. thats fine

I have my expectations, you have yours.

# 110 harnalien @ 07/21/09 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
you know.. if I would have never played any of the 2K games, I would think that this halftime show was great.

Unfortunately 2K set the bar years ago, and even with 2K out of the way, EA refused to even look at that game knowing that was what the customers really wanted.
Was it the arrogance of the EA DEVS that they totally ignore this game? lack of talent? I do not know.

But what I do know is that it is really hard to feel so grateful to EA because they finally implemented a halftime show that is only half as good as a 5 year old game.

Go ahead and label me as one of those that will never be pleased .. thats fine

I have my expectations, you have yours.
I'm with you. I'm on the side of "it's about time" vs. "at least we have it." Thread will probably be locked soon.

# 111 Drocks @ 07/21/09 11:03 AM
I think some people just don't get it. This show is about the possibilities. I'm pretty sure Ian's already said himself, this is a building block, not all it's gonna be forever. I've seen a couple "Do it right or don't do it at all" comments. So tell me, what exactly is "right"? Having some fake, canned highlights because 2K does? Cause that's about the only thing I see that could make it any better than it is. Sounds like more than just a half effort to me. They've set the foundation now, and it's already in great shape. I just can't get on board with "Do it right or don't do it at all", that's just flawed reasoning when it comes to this feature IMO.

One thing I'd say is when they show the halftime scores, maybe Alex actually go through some of the big ones, but other than that, I can't really argue with how this thing was implemented. I'm pretty impressed, cause it ain't easy to just flip the script on what has been done and create something brand new like that.

# 112 Deegeezy @ 07/21/09 11:06 AM
What's so great about 2Kk's post game show compared to this one? The only thing I see done differently is 2k had highlights. However, they were fake highlights. This day and age, I probably wouldn't watch them knowing that they are fake, canned highlights that didn't really take place. I am glad Madden didn't go that route.

# 113 nosaints26 @ 07/21/09 11:23 AM
Quote:
What's so great about 2Kk's post game show compared to this one? The only thing I see done differently is 2k had highlights. However, they were fake highlights. This day and age, I probably wouldn't watch them knowing that they are fake, canned highlights that didn't really take place. I am glad Madden didn't go that route.
Wow...This isn't real life here...they'd have to really alter the sim engine to record parts of actual CPU gameplay and relay them. They have to be canned. And yet 2K still maintained an organic feel. I also love how this is implemented in CH2K8 (although I think it's a lot more rough around the edges).

As stated before, the highlights were always relevant to what actually happened in a CPU sim. If there wasn't an interception or a punt return for a TD in the game you wouldn't see one in the highlight.

# 114 HealyMonster @ 07/21/09 11:26 AM
Quote:
whats all this talk of 2k having fake highlights? when I played a game, the halftime highlights actually happened in my game, they werent canned. If i ran in circles for a minute then ran in a TD, thats what they showed.

# 115 countryboy @ 07/21/09 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
yea, i hear ya.. but as consumers, its not our problem what happens behind the scenes.

You are acting like Tiburon is a new developer just taking over the game for the first time.. This is not the case.
Most of the DEV team is the same as previous years, just with new leads, but who were also part of previous DEV teams.

Man i am so tired of everyone making up any excuse they can to defend EA.
This is just as annoying to me as what you say is complaining and bashing.

Like I said, its better than last year, but it still feels like a Half done effort, and I am just tired of that with Madden.

At least 2k nailed presentation, and animation.
What has Madden nailed to perfection?
You have to start somewhere don't you? And we were told when it was first introduced that highlights from other games weren't going to be part of the package.

Nobody is defending EA here, just understanding that you have to start somewhere. No it doesn't have all the things that we may want, but its not horrible either. In my opinion, its great first step and more in-depth then I expected it to be.

And no, this isn't perfect, but its better than nothing. And I, and probably 95% of this community would rather have this than nothing at all.

Now you can label me as easy to please. And before you ask, I have played 2k5 and seen its presentation.

# 116 countryboy @ 07/21/09 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
whats all this talk of 2k having fake highlights? when I played a game, the halftime highlights actually happened in my game, they werent canned. If i ran in circles for a minute then ran in a TD, thats what they showed.
they're talking about highlights from other games.

# 117 DaveDQ @ 07/21/09 11:56 AM
You have to appreciate what the Madden team is doing. They have never given this type of game add-on a true look and are now doing so. That being said, it's too celebrity heavy and not offering much in the actual depth of what happened. The voice acting is aged, with the "State Team's Name" and quick stat following that. It's very unnatural. In bringing up 2K, I think that's where they were able to do a little better, especially with the Berman highlights.

# 118 feeq14 @ 07/21/09 12:28 PM
Adding some kind of real time replay element too this would be amazing. I want ot see game highlights, even if its just some pre canned stuff that gets old after a while it would still be cool too see.

# 119 HealyMonster @ 07/21/09 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
You have to appreciate what the Madden team is doing. They have never given this type of game add-on a true look and are now doing so. That being said, it's too celebrity heavy and not offering much in the actual depth of what happened. The voice acting is aged, with the "State Team's Name" and quick stat following that. It's very unnatural. In bringing up 2K, I think that's where they were able to do a little better, especially with the Berman highlights.
Well from a "realistic persons standpoint" I look at what they did this year and I know them having the "live people" there instead of taking the time to do the animation and artwork with voice acting is a time crunch decision and im sure the nfl network was geeked out about being included so I see how we got to this point.

My worries are about the future. Im not so sure Madden looks at this as the starting point. They could get to unheard of points by adding stuff to this, as an example they can go in and add city skylines, to pregame and end of quarter, custom soundtracks, and highlights with announcing during them but i am nervous that this isnt their vision or something. I am worried that they are content and this will be the presentation for a few years now.

Next year they cant just use the same extra point show and add onto it. They have to do a whole new version from the ground up. If it were animated, they could change clothes and add audio and animations while keeping what they had thus building up an even more dynamic thing each year.

# 120 x1Blumpkin1x @ 07/21/09 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
You can add me to the "do it right or don't do it at all" camp. I understand Ian doesn't want to carbon copy 2K5, but this is the NFL! 2K5 did so many things right, but more importantly accurate, so just swallow your pride and get it all in there!

I do think it's a little sad that we (regular folk) can instantly point out the lack of enthusiasm of the commentators, or lack of highlights. It's just something else to add to EA's reputation of things that don't make sense, and probaly have no good reason for being absent-except laziness. This is supposed to be a sim, not Ian's little pet project. These kinds of flaws are no better than what David Ortiz was doing.

Just give us a damn NFL sim! Yes, this game seems to be headed in a very good direction, but still, the same ol' laziness is evident.
If it's not laziness, then it's simply lack of skill. No excuses, now or ever. Get it together, EA.
I don't think it is fair to accuse the developers of laziness or a lack of skill. You have no idea what forces outside of development may be directing what they can implement. Was it necessarily the sound engineers who decided on the commentators for the highlights? Maybe despite how they are on TV their ability to record individual, unconnected lines was terrible.

There are only so many hours in the day, they only have so many developers on staff. And as a professional software developer for 12 years, I can tell you more does not always equal better. Maybe there are other development priorities that we don't know about. Perhaps they implemented a new unit testing framework that will cut down dramatically on bugs. Not a marketing feature but would benefit the consumer. There are so many things regarding the development of this product that we don't know about, and that the developers don't even have control over.

I for one think Madden has taken a huge leap since '09. Based on what I have seen and the obvious passion for the game from the staff I have preordered Madden 10 despite all EA Sports titles being on my list of rent only. I don't know how anyone could compare the community interaction and what looks to be serious improvements in the game to any iteration over the past few years.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.