Home
Backbreaker News Post

Very anxious for this conference call. The call should start in an hour, I'll have a live blog set up in this space for then. Check back early and often!

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 61 mgoblue678 @ 04/20/10 09:37 PM
Would I like to see fatigue and injuries? Absolutely, but it is not a game killer to me at all. I agree with CreatineKasey I actually like not having hot routes, in order to get people to call better plays and there are still audibles so you can still audible out of plays that look like they will not work.

I am still skepical about how the gameplay will ultimately turn out and obviously the call didn't really reveal anything new in that area.

I do like some of things that were said, like how the game is intended to me more of a sim than a arcade style game and the customization other than not having a ingame sharing system seems to be pretty deep.

And could people at least play the game before they keep calling it a tech demo. To me randomly dropping into a thread, and calling the game a tech demo over and over again without even having played it is trolling, but I guess trolling seems to be perfectly acceptable on the Backbreaker forums for some reason even though it is not on others.

# 62 bgeno @ 04/20/10 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Well, if you wanna compare companies, you need to compare BB to Madden 08. That is the same amount of development time.
I don't get what you're trying to say there.

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget Madden has 10 developers for every 1 BB developer.
No excuse. I expect the best from anyone. I'm not going to give Backbreaker bonus points because of a small dev team when it's only $10 less.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and Backbreaker had to spend development time figuring a way to allow gamers to get the NFL into the game without getting sued. Oh, and 1 more thing, they were programming their players with behaviours and removing dice roll systems from their sports game which is something no other sports game has done and has the potential to make the game much less predictable.

Not to mention 2 franchise modes, a totally different control system and a unique camera angle and game experience.
All that's fine an dandy, but when it's missing essential functions of a sim football game (injuries, fatigue), I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's going to be the next best thing in football, and that it's going to outduel another football game.

Quote:
Geez, Natural Motion is a bunch of lazy bastards aren't they? Why support them for making the first new football game in 3 years if this is what we get.
Why I should I support them if they don't appear to have made a product I find adequate?

# 63 RedZoneD25 @ 04/20/10 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos
Why is it like Blitz? Because the #1 feature in this game is Euphoria, an engine that will make tackles better. Blitz had tackles .

And for everyone saying it will have an effect on madden, it can't be worse than madden, thats simply B/S. This game can be worse than madden. It will more than likely be worse than Madden. How are you telling me that the so called "Franchise" mode is going to be better than Madden's franchise mode? "Road To Backbreaker" seems just like a horrible idea. In the real franchise mode, you're going to need 22 players. 11 if you decide to make them uber-beast-99 players. "Uber-Customization is going to make backbreaker awesome!!!" No. YOU CAN'T EVEN CHANGE THE PLAYERS!!!!!! ALL OF THEM ARE THE SAME EXCEPT FOR RATINGS!!!!! Essentially your putting the same build of a WR as your G !!!! No hot routes a good thing? Ludacris! What happens if you call a deep pass such as 4 Verticals, and the defense comes up like they're going to run a cover 4 or in the Quarter defense, backing up their secondary? Your screwed. And how are you going to be able to tell apart the Linebackers from the corners? A formation like Nickel 1-5-5 is going to confuse people beyond BELIEF.

Mods, if this is trolling, excuse me but I had to get this out

# 64 JayBee74 @ 04/20/10 09:46 PM
Quote:
You're telling me you would buy this game with canned tackle animations and not Euphoria?
That's not the point-you compared BB to Blitz because it had tackles!
Quote:
No hot routes a good thing? Ludacris! What happens if you call a deep pass such as 4 Verticals, and the defense comes up like they're going to run a cover 4 or in the Quarter defense, backing up their secondary? Your screwed.
call an audible

# 65 JayBee74 @ 04/20/10 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
And could people at least play the game before they keep calling it a tech demo. To me randomly dropping into a thread, and calling the game a tech demo over and over again without even having played it is trolling, but I guess trolling seems to be perfectly acceptable on the Backbreaker forums for some reason even though it is not on others.
And-YOU"RE RIGHT

# 66 stead21 @ 04/20/10 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
If the lack of these features bothers some of you so much, just don't play the game, it's really that simple. Would I like to see injuries, fatigue and hot routes in the game? Sure, but my world will not end if they are not in. Personally I'm looking forward to playing this game because it's something new. If what they have done works, well then maybe we will see all the bells and whistles in the next installment of the game. $50.00 for something new that has the potential to be great is a small price to pay for me.
Could not agree more.

# 67 thor-17 @ 04/20/10 09:56 PM
The devs. deserve better than this. Come on guys. They have built a game based on freakin' player behaviors- not dice rolled, seen it a million times canned animations. Every play will be different. There will be no more learning and exploiting the animations. The game will be won and lost by strategy, just like in real life. This game has the capacity to change sports gaming forever. If you are ok with the same half a$$ed gameplay EVERY year and with features that don't work, then don't support this game. Get out of the Backbreaker forums and back to the sheep, I mean Madden forums. You will get exactly what you deserve. If you want a revolution and have devs push the limits of what sports games can be, then support this game.

Remember the video of Madden 06? Remember how pumped we were to see it? It's Madden 11 and they are nowhere near that, but Backbreaker is. One more thing, compare the newly released video of NCAA 11 with any Backbreaker video. I was shocked at how easy it is to pick out the animation triggers in NCAA. It's jerky and ugly. Now, look at Backbreaker. Think- canned, stale animation(NCAA), actual behaviors(Backbreaker).

# 68 Bellsprout @ 04/20/10 09:57 PM
Quote:
Well, if you wanna compare companies, you need to compare BB to Madden 08. That is the same amount of development time. Oh, and don't forget Madden has 10 developers for every 1 BB developer. Oh yeah, and Backbreaker had to spend development time figuring a way to allow gamers to get the NFL into the game without getting sued. Oh, and 1 more thing, they were programming their players with behaviours and removing dice roll systems from their sports game which is something no other sports game has done and has the potential to make the game much less predictable.
God I'm sick of saying this. The limited time frame thing isn't an excuse. Well, it's technically an excuse, it's just an incredibly awful excuse. They don't have the NFL telling them when they have to release a game by. They don't have contracts to adhere to. They can take as long as they want with this game. If something sucks, they can delay the game and fix it. They have that freedom.

# 69 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I don't get what you're trying to say there.

No excuse. I expect the best from anyone. I'm not going to give Backbreaker bonus points because of a small dev team when it's only $10 less.

All that's fine an dandy, but when it's missing essential functions of a sim football game (injuries, fatigue), I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's going to be the next best thing in football, and that it's going to outduel another football game.

Why I should I support them if they don't appear to have made a product I find adequate?
Backbreaker has been in development for 3 years. That how long it took to make Madden 08 with 10x the money and developers. Madden 08 didn't have commentary either by the way and it's a broadcast presentation.

Do you want new football games? Take a look at gamestop and tell me how many football titles you see. Even Blitz and APF are out of the game. Companies are not killing themselves to make new football games because they don't believe they will suceed without the NFL.

I never said this was the next best thing or a Madden killer. This is a choice that we haven't had before. If you pass on it, don't expect to get another choice besides Madden from any company and don't bitch about companies not making football games. Here was your opportunity to support unlicensed football.

# 70 DaveDQ @ 04/20/10 09:59 PM
No doubt about it this is a tech demo. The only thing this title has going for it is the Euphoria technology that Natural Motion continues to campaign for. I don't mind it because what video game football is right now makes us all desire something more.

It may be frustrating to hear, but the concept of this game is not football. The concept is to use football to display their technology.

# 71 JayBee74 @ 04/20/10 10:03 PM
Quote:
Ok, Blitz had exciting tacklesBB is going to have exciting tackles. Sorry for not specifically saying that.

And if you can call an audible, why can't you hot route
You said you were screwed in a situation where your called play requires adjustment because of defensive movement. According to you the lack of hot routes has screwed you. That's not true-you have an option to audible. I'm not going round and round with you about "why can't you hot route"-it's not in the game.
Your BB like Blitz tackle argument is weak and I'm being generous. Exciting tackles is now the BB/Blitz connection? I thought BB had realistic tackles, not over the top ones.

# 72 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
God I'm sick of saying this. The limited time frame thing isn't an excuse. Well, it's technically an excuse, it's just an incredibly awful excuse. They don't have the NFL telling them when they have to release a game by. They don't have contracts to adhere to. They can take as long as they want with this game. If something sucks, they can delay the game and fix it. They have that freedom.
I'm sick of responding to this, lol. There isn't a magical development fund these guys get to make the game. Eventually they will spend more in development than the game can make and they have to release and add more features in another installment. Even if there was no NFL license, do you think EA would've just developed Madden for 5 years without a return on the investment?

# 73 JayBee74 @ 04/20/10 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
No doubt about it this is a tech demo. The only thing this title has going for it is the Euphoria technology that Natural Motion continues to campaign for. I don't mind it because what video game football is right now makes us all desire something more.

It may be frustrating to hear, but the concept of this game is not football. The concept is to use football to display their technology.
Having not even played the demo, the powerful anti-fan boy minds are hard at work here. I think you guys are wanting the game to fail to much.

# 74 Bellsprout @ 04/20/10 10:09 PM
Quote:
I'm sick of responding to this, lol. There isn't a magical development fund these guys get to make the game. Eventually they will spend more in development than the game can make and they have to release and add more features in another installment. Even if there was no NFL license, do you think EA would've just developed Madden for 5 years without a return on the investment?
So Backbreaker is allowed to release an incomplete game early in an effort to make money, but damn EA to hell if Madden releases like that? How does that make sense?

# 75 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor-17
The devs. deserve better than this. Come on guys. They have built a game based on freakin' player behaviors- not dice rolled, seen it a million times canned animations. Every play will be different. There will be no more learning and exploiting the animations. The game will be won and lost by strategy, just like in real life. This game has the capacity to change sports gaming forever. If you are ok with the same half a$$ed gameplay EVERY year and with features that don't work, then don't support this game. Get out of the Backbreaker forums and back to the sheep, I mean Madden forums. You will get exactly what you deserve. If you want a revolution and have devs push the limits of what sports games can be, then support this game.

Remember the video of Madden 06? Remember how pumped we were to see it? It's Madden 11 and they are nowhere near that, but Backbreaker is. One more thing, compare the newly released video of NCAA 11 with any Backbreaker video. I was shocked at how easy it is to pick out the animation triggers in NCAA. It's jerky and ugly. Now, look at Backbreaker. Think- canned, stale animation(NCAA), actual behaviors(Backbreaker).
I see someone else sees the big picture and noticed something revolutionary about this game besides the tackles. (Which actually involves all contact in the game)

Did no one else read the reason injuries didn't make the game? Only because the devs want them to be real and based on physics. Wouldn't a one and done company just go the easy route and throw dice roll injuries in the game if it's all just for a tech demo anyways?

# 76 mgoblue678 @ 04/20/10 10:20 PM
Quote:
Ok. So i'm going to have to have audibles to adjust to every possible situation. I'll try. And i'm not the first to compare this arcade game to blitz, nor will I be the last. So don't act as if I am the only one saying BB = Blitz
Did you even read the quote in the conference call that said the game was more of sim than a arcade style of game? The devs have never said anything or have the videos shown anything remotely resembling a Blitz style game.

All your doing right now is trolling plain and simple. Spewing out the same Blitz garbage without anything to back your claim up.

There are legitimate concerns that I have about the game as well and I can see why their is skepticism, but the the generic Blitz or tech demo comments said by the same kind of people in every thread is really getting old.

# 77 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
So Backbreaker is allowed to release an incomplete game early in an effort to make money, but damn EA to hell if Madden releases like that? How does that make sense?
EA has done that, at least 3 times with 06-08 on Nex-gen. None of them even resembled football imo and a few things like fatigue were just faked so they were in the game. I actually bought 08 and I promise BB is already a much more complete game than that was even with all this missing stuff.

I'm looking at it differently than other gamers maybe. I want more football titles and I don't care who makes them. If Madden was allowed to do it multiple times to fund what they have used to make Madden 11, a much smaller competing company needs the similar benefits to have any chance to succeed.

# 78 mgoblue678 @ 04/20/10 10:27 PM
I have watched every single video. Didn't like everything I saw but none of it even remotely resembled Blitz. Give me one example of something in the videos that looked like Blitz.

To be perfectly clear I am still on the fence regarding the game, but calling it a Blitz kind of game is still laughable .

# 79 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 10:32 PM
Quote:
I can't see whats wrong with Madden's "Dice-Roll" injuries. Any lame excuse for why fatigue and hot routes aren't in there?

I don't mind dice roll injuries, but real physics based ones sound a hellava lot better to me.

Listen to the call. Hot routes aren't in because they want solid gameplay. It's like custom plays for madden, they would break the game at the moment. I would rather have no hot routes than unstoppable hot routes.

Fatigue really isn't in any football game. When Madden pulls your guy, just sub him back in, he doesn't run any slower or anything.

# 80 mgoblue678 @ 04/20/10 10:37 PM
I just amazed that based on no injuries, fatigue and hot routes that some people are now completely unwilling to give the game a chance when we still have no idea how good the gameplay will ultimately be or not. For all we know it could turn out to be very good and people could miss out based on three things that are not game-killers IMO.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.