NHL 11 News Post

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Money99 @ 07/27/10 03:00 PM
It's a goal!

# 42 patsfan188 @ 07/27/10 10:00 PM
how longs this sean ramajasha (or whatever his name is) guy been around? cus NHL's a lot better so I don't know if this guy just came or what? I wish Madden could make tons of new stuff like NHL.

# 43 BlueNGold @ 07/27/10 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan188
how longs this sean ramajasha (or whatever his name is) guy been around? cus NHL's a lot better so I don't know if this guy just came or what? I wish Madden could make tons of new stuff like NHL.
As far as I know he's been on the team since 07.

# 44 DDPR @ 07/27/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
Not sure I agree with any of your observations.

1. I think we saw in NHL 10 w/ shooting from the knees and bat in goals that EA is very good at finding the right frequency for these sort of "wow" moment goals. I could certainly be wrong, but based on my experience w/ NHL 10, and the fact that I saw nothing even close to this from two days of playing NHL 11 late in May, I would say you needn't have to worry about this.
I really disagree. They stated that penalty shots would be at a very low occurrence, which happens around twice a game (assuming you're playing online), and they also said where the goalie just swipes the puck out of the air with his super human senses would happen every 10 games, which happens about every other game.

To comment on the video, I really dislike the unrealistic swipe out of the air. He just got totally crushed and is able to swing his stick up in the air, with stellar accuracy, and swipe the puck top shelf. I really dislike stuff like this.

# 45 ericromain @ 07/27/10 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPR
I really disagree. They stated that penalty shots would be at a very low occurrence, which happens around twice a game (assuming you're playing online),
I remember them stating more penalty shots would be called in 10.

The issue isn't that there's 2 penalty shots a game, the issue is that people are tripping guys on breakaways 2 times a game. They are almost always the right call (maybe sometimes they are a bit questionable sure). I think i force 1 opponent penalty shot every 20-30 games because i play with discipline, something most guys don't use in those situations. (actually i have to, because i'm terrlble at controlling the goalie )

Back in NHL09, it was a common online tactic for a guy to be on a breakaway and the human defender would just intentionally dive at his legs, and way too frequently they just called 2 min tripping and not a PS (i think i only had 15-20 PS attempts in 500 online vs NHL09 games) It was so annoying to finally set up that perfect breakaway pass and have a guy just take out your legs successfully.

# 46 DDPR @ 07/27/10 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
The issue isn't that there's 2 penalty shots a game, the issue is that people are tripping guys on breakaways 2 times a game. They are almost always the right call (maybe sometimes they are a bit questionable sure). I think i force 1 opponent penalty shot every 20-30 games because i play with discipline, something most guys don't use in those situations. (actually i have to, because i'm terrlble at controlling the goalie )
You usually have to since everyone does the common forehand to backhand garbage and the goalie does the splits and doesn't get close to saving the shot. If they allowed the defensive player to have a chance at having a quick speed burst to catch up to the guy.

# 47 MizzouRah @ 07/27/10 11:46 PM
This team works their asses off!

# 48 ericromain @ 07/28/10 02:35 PM
Quote:
You usually have to since everyone does the common forehand to backhand garbage and the goalie does the splits and doesn't get close to saving the shot. If they allowed the defensive player to have a chance at having a quick speed burst to catch up to the guy.
Well i guess the issue of adding a sprint is an entire issue of it's own.

# 49 Gagnon39 @ 07/28/10 04:00 PM
Quote:
I really disagree. They stated that penalty shots would be at a very low occurrence, which happens around twice a game (assuming you're playing online), and they also said where the goalie just swipes the puck out of the air with his super human senses would happen every 10 games, which happens about every other game.

To comment on the video, I really dislike the unrealistic swipe out of the air. He just got totally crushed and is able to swing his stick up in the air, with stellar accuracy, and swipe the puck top shelf. I really dislike stuff like this.
I played over 150 online games in NHL 10 and a season and a half in dynasty mode and have to say that I disagree with you. I saw one puck batted out of the air by Jonathan Toews and that was it. Online I saw a penalty shot maybe 10 total times and the goalie animation was not overdone. I saw the goalie swipe for the puck once and knock it into his own net once. He NHL games have established themselves as the best sports games around. My only complaint about NHL 10 is the ridiculous post whistle stuff. But there's a simple fix for that, don't do it. As far as Kessel not being able to do something like that, well, I've seen much crazier goals than that. Look up "the goal" by Ovechkin on YouTube an see what you think about that.

# 50 DDPR @ 07/28/10 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Look up "the goal" by Ovechkin on YouTube an see what you think about that.
If you're speaking of this then I'll agree it is a good goal. But do you see Ovechkin get laid out and do that? No. He simply just falls down and swipes it in, watch the video again and tell me how someone that gets hit with such power would be able to just automatically swing their stick up.

As for you disagreeing with me, I do agree that when they try to whack it out of the air it barely ever goes in, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. But the goalie flinging back trying to hit the puck out of the air, I see it almost every game, or every other game. From what you said it looks like you simply play versus, which I can understand how 150 games of that you wouldn't complain much, but when you play Community and/or Club you'd really know what it's like to see the amount of penalty shots and the goalie's godlike swipe out of the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
Well i guess the issue of adding a sprint is an entire issue of it's own.
Not necessarily. Why add a "sprint" function for the offensive side but not the defensive side? When you push the puck up you do get that slight burst of speed, I don't see why the defense can't get a little burst by pressing a button too.

# 51 plaidchuck @ 07/28/10 06:10 PM
the funny thing about the goalie swipe is that it isn't effective at all, 9 out of 10 times the goalie misses it.

# 52 Gagnon39 @ 07/28/10 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
the funny thing about the goalie swipe is that it isn't effective at all, 9 out of 10 times the goalie misses it.
Agreed. The only thing that EA has implemented and has been overdone and completely stupid is the post whistle stuff.

# 53 KraZe @ 07/28/10 09:03 PM
Quote:
Agreed. The only thing that EA has implemented and has been overdone and completely stupid is the post whistle stuff.
Agreed. I get sick of trying to poke a loose puck away from a goalie, the whistle goes, I end up poking the goalie post-whistle, I get beat like a mule from the other team, yet somehow I end up getting a penalty even though I'm trying to avoid everyone.

The coincidental minors are another overdone factor as well, IMO.

# 54 onlybygrace @ 07/28/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Correct. In my experience, both goalies swiping the puck out of the air and bat-in's could be more successful.

After 400-500 games of NHL 10, I've scored twice on bat-ins and once from my knees and that was in the demo.

EA, so far, has done a good job at making the spectacular truly stand out as such due to the scarcity of these occurances.

# 55 Gagnon39 @ 07/28/10 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
Agreed. I get sick of trying to poke a loose puck away from a goalie, the whistle goes, I end up poking the goalie post-whistle, I get beat like a mule from the other team, yet somehow I end up getting a penalty even though I'm trying to avoid everyone.

The coincidental minors are another overdone factor as well, IMO.
Absolutely. The coincidental minors are completely random. I have totally abused opposing players after the whistle with Byfuglien and then Duncan Keith gets sent to the box. So stupid. The post-whistle stuff sounded so good last year and it could add a new and exciting element to the game if it was implemented properly. That is why I'm always concerned about new features.

The new faceoff system sounds and looks incredible. But if players are deking from the faceoff and shooting on net when the draw is in an offensive zoneNevery time, I'll get frustrated quickly. Surely since EA has spent so much time on the new faceoff system they'll get it right. Shots off the faceoff should be as rare as the Kessel goal demonstrating disallowed goals.

# 56 ericromain @ 07/28/10 09:40 PM
Quote:
Not necessarily. Why add a "sprint" function for the offensive side but not the defensive side? When you push the puck up you do get that slight burst of speed, I don't see why the defense can't get a little burst by pressing a button too.
As i understand it. You skate slower with the puck than without it. So when you tap LT/L2 for the push puck, the increase in speed you notice is just going from "puck possession" speed to "no puck possession" speed. So the puckless defender doesn't need a boost because he's already going max speed.

# 57 notoriouzwun @ 07/28/10 11:36 PM
Quote:
Okay, first of all, that was freaking SICK!

Secondly, and unfortunately, I think ALL of the disallowed goals in this game will be from high sticks. I'd seriously doubt that there will be any reviews whether or not a puck crossed the goal line, or whether it hit the crossbar or the back of the net and bounced out. I guess we'll see, but I'm willing to bet that all the reviews are just simply high sticks.
I would personally like to see some disallowed goals from players in the crease, kicking the puck in, stick too high on deflections etc...So will this feature also be in EASHL or just in single player?

# 58 actionhank @ 07/29/10 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouzwun
I would personally like to see some disallowed goals from players in the crease, kicking the puck in, stick too high on deflections etc...So will this feature also be in EASHL or just in single player?
But if they do that, then my team mates will have to start standing in front of the goalie to try and get goals, instead of behind him like they love to

# 59 Poro24 @ 07/29/10 02:59 PM
Just watched that video in the first post and animations still don't look smooth and realistic... Plus i don't like how the players celebrate the goal - every players skates in different direction like a zombie.

Well.. i guess this is just too hard to fix.

# 60 KraZe @ 07/29/10 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poro24
Just watched that video in the first post and animations still don't look smooth and realistic... Plus i don't like how the players celebrate the goal - every players skates in different direction like a zombie.

Well.. i guess this is just too hard to fix.
I have to agree, this part of the game has always been a pet-peeve of mine. Is it really so hard to have the players react to a goal in a way that makes them skate towards the goal scorers and celebrate as a team?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.