Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

IGN has just posted their NBA 2K11 preview, as well as some new screenshots.

Quote:
"Physical play (bodies jostling in the post or when a player drives to the lane) is getting an overhaul this year as well. If you played last year's FIFA game from EA Sports, you'll know what to expect from NBA 2K11. In other words, you're always able to have a sense of control even if your player is bumping into someone else on the court. No matter the collision, the goal of the development team is to ensure that players always feel like they're in control of their player's weight and momentum. I didn't get a chance to get a feel for the feature yet, but I'll be sure to dive a bit deeper the next time I get my hands on the game.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, there are a lot of gameplay changes in NBA 2K11. Far too many to be dished out in a single preview. Rest assured, if you were someone who hated the feeling of being out of control in last year's game, you shouldn't have that problem with NBA 2K11. From spin moves that branch into one-armed pump fakes to those that end in jump shots to dribble animations that can branch into any number of moves, 2K11 seems to have really nailed the look and feel of the NBA with the gameplay revisions."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 youvalss @ 07/29/10 10:19 PM
This preview is going to ruin a bit the controls Insight we're expecting...but that pretty much what ahppened last week.

# 22 RajonRondo9Celtics @ 07/29/10 10:19 PM
i'm liking the 30 authentic plays from each team gotten directly from the coaches very much

Hope thats true

# 23 Jano @ 07/29/10 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
yeah im hoping that the players no longer have Ben Wallace shoulders...we will see in the coming months..
All of the players look too built they look more like football players then basketball ones you know.. Even the fingers kind of look meaty lol

thats one thing I liked about Live they kind of capture the wiry frame of bball players. The jennings photo from elite looks pretty good when you compare it to his frame and face.

Hopefully 2K can improve on that in the coming months I think that alone can make a huge difference..

# 24 The 24th Letter @ 07/29/10 10:29 PM
GREAT read...definitely the kind of stuff you want to hear....

As far as the pics...they def look raw....but what jumps out about them is the color...love how its looking.

# 25 theskinsfan1000 @ 07/29/10 10:31 PM
Did anyone notice that Carlos Boozer was with the Cavs in one of the screens?

# 26 P21J @ 07/29/10 10:32 PM
This was a pretty good preview, but I have one concern/question about 2K11. Will there be a footplanting engine instituted this year? If they put that in this year's game, I most definitely will put a reserve down now instead of waiting to read reviews/impressions a week later to decide.

# 27 infam0us @ 07/29/10 10:33 PM
theskinsfan1000 thats a 2k10 screenshot. Don't know why its on the 2k11 image section.

I wouldn't say ripped from Live 10 but I think we all know who's idea these were and why it was in Live 10 and now 2k11

# 28 Goffs @ 07/29/10 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Boii
boohoo
*looks at name*

yeah i stopped reading after seeing the name...

# 29 jmood88 @ 07/29/10 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
Good article, but absolutely terrible images. Game doesn't look changed much.

That intro with the Heat starting 5 looks like a great presentation intro...nice touch.
There's still about 2 months left before the game is done and it already looks as good, and in some spots better, than 2k10. Every other year screenshots released this early would look worse than the previous game.

# 30 eko718 @ 07/29/10 10:37 PM
Sounds good and looks good. Doesn't look like Chris Bosh's hair is changed however. i hope they fix this.

# 31 BlueNGold @ 07/29/10 10:37 PM
Love the sound of the new isomotion. Everything else sounds buttery too.

# 32 youvalss @ 07/29/10 10:38 PM
2K should not allow previewers to post screenshots. It's just pointless.

# 33 theskinsfan1000 @ 07/29/10 10:44 PM
Ok thanks infamOus

# 34 jWILL253 @ 07/29/10 10:45 PM
Yeah, 2K10 was the best sports game when it came to graphics, especially in the Create-A-Player department. Now, is it just me, or does 2K11 look similar to 2K8?

# 35 Nokstar @ 07/29/10 10:46 PM
no mention of changes in defense.....hmm. Those moves dont mean much if the defensive system hasnt changed...lets hope so. I dont want anymore lock on defense...just regular responsive manual defense that is effective.

# 36 Epiffani @ 07/29/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Oh, and cuts to the basket are finally made with a sense of urgency so that it will be painfully obvious when you've missed an open man streaking to the hoop (as I did during the demo). If you want to intentionally miss the guy cutting, you could always fake the pass (new this year) with the B button (Circle on PS3), causing the defender to swipe at the ball and drive to the hole instead. Of course, you can run a list of plays by pressing the appropriate button on the list. This year, each team has a list of roughly 30 authentic plays that 2K got right from the coaches with over 1,000 true-to-life plays overall.
Lots of good information in this article (especially about the controls), but the bold is something that is/was right up there with controls as far as I'm concerned and it's good to hear that they've put work in these areas. The previewer actually sounded like he was familiar with NBA 2K basketball too ("FINALLY moving with a sense of urgency".)

Oh, and I'm not sure what happened in between MJ's Bulls away jersey and the one Boozer has on, but Boozer's is again noticeably "pinker" than and less accurate in terms of color compared to Jordan's (reverted back to the look of 2K10 off color red).

# 37 Mos1ted @ 07/29/10 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
The controls will be ideal for me if:

- They make the ability to walk, jog, and sprint 100% pressure sensitive to the left stick. No context animations. No triggers. Also make the transition from walk to jog to sprint and back gradual and smooth; also have to where a player can't stop on a dime from a sprint and his momentum carries him forward extra steps.

- Bring back the defensive crouch button. Also let me play the ball handler to a particular side similar to what they had in 2K9. Part of player a good ball handler is to try to force him to his weak hand or force him to go the side where your help defense is.

- (Like mentioned a few posts before mine) Bring back the post up button. Allow users to post up ANYWHERE including the perimeter a la Mark Jackson (while still enforcing the 5 sec back to the basket rule of course). Also allow offensive players to back down defensive players. Get rid of that "deadlock" animation where the players just wouldn't move. At least show some resistance for both players if you want to emulate a weaker player attempting to back down a stronger player.

- Bring back the ability to fake pass. I MISS THIS.

- Give me the ability to determine the speed and trajectory of my passes. Make passes pressure sensitive like the Maximum Passing feature in the football games. Tap to throw overhead lob passes; hold to throw chest passes or passes into tight spaces and closing windows. Let passers over lead their recipients (to cause unforced turnovers) or throw the ball well ahead of a teammate initiate fast breaks.

- By 1:1 dribbling controls, I hope they mean the ability to determine WHICH hand a player dribbles with. They already have Offhand Ball Security Ratings in the game. Let's actually make it count this year!

I'm glad to see some of my wishes were added!! 3 out of 6 ain't bad, especially with a game that's still 2 months away. Any chance of adding the other 3???? I can't wait for October!!

# 38 youvalss @ 07/29/10 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Yeah, 2K10 was the best sports game when it came to graphics, especially in the Create-A-Player department. Now, is it just me, or does 2K11 look similar to 2K8?
Haha, I've already said that. I think it's the blurring effect.

# 39 Goffs @ 07/29/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
I'm glad to see some of my wishes were added!! 3 out of 6 ain't bad, especially with a game that's still 2 months away. Any chance of adding the other 3???? I can't wait for October!!
Quote:
- They make the ability to walk, jog, and sprint 100% pressure sensitive to the left stick. No context animations. No triggers. Also make the transition from walk to jog to sprint and back gradual and smooth; also have to where a player can't stop on a dime from a sprint and his momentum carries him forward extra steps.
hmm hopefully they added this as well with the new control scheme...pressure sensitive movement is a must!

# 40 Hassan Darkside @ 07/29/10 11:23 PM
Great stuff! Glad Mike's bringing back some of the ideas with him. I'm so happy to hear a pass fake is in the game. That's gonna make for some sick fast breaks and sequences. Rondo's gonna be ridiculous.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.