Home
News Post

With today being the North American release date (and Steam ), lets use this topic for impressions for all 3 platforms. Please limit this to impressions and questions about the game.

UPDATE: Apparently the console version is not being released until tomorrow or even as late as Thursday for some. For those who purchased the PC version off of steam, it has been released and will be unlocked within 2.5 hours to play. I have the game already downloaded on my system, just waiting for the unlock. I will do my best with impressions as soon as the game is unlocked on my PC.

Game: F1 2010Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
F1 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Lakers 24 7 @ 09/23/10 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoxcv
Why are you talking about too many accidents in the game? There are ZERO ACCIDENTS by the CPU. 100% of the time. 3 races now. Not 1 car retired for any reason in any race. Why would you defend this glaring mistake? I feel shafted out of $70. Not going to put on blinders to make it feel better. The game is lousy. Let's review.

1. Major pit problem

2. No AI Accidents

3. No user car failures

4. Horrible interface

5. No laps/time under yellow

6. No crowd sound. 100% silent all the time

7. Scripted AI

8. No damage to car unless on expert mode. 150 into a brick wall, keep on driving!

9. No option to check the leader board, ever.

3 races isn't much, how long were the races anyway? THe CPU does wreck and there's video on youtube of the CPU wrecking.

The pit problem will be patched.

There are car failures

If you're into sim racing why would you not play on expert mode anyway???

Everything else you listed is subjective.

# 122 fool @ 09/23/10 01:50 PM
This game looks GREAT on PS3, but I am a bit let down. If it played even half as good as it looked, we would have something huge here. It's their first attempt, so I will not hold it against them. As a pick up and play racing game that looks great, this game shines. If you want a game that mirrors F1 in real life, this game isn't going to do it for you. zoxcv is pretty spot on. Reminds me a lot of Gran Turismo. Very good looking and fun, but falls far short of the realism it strives for.

# 123 Chaos81 @ 09/23/10 01:54 PM
Quote:
it doesn't even have an option to select car damage separate from difficulty level.
Press enter (Obviously different on console) where you select the difficult level, then you can scroll down and change the damage (Among other things).

# 124 bluengold34_OS @ 09/23/10 02:09 PM
Quote:
Just let another 100% race go 45 minutes on expert. No wrecks or failures.
This has to be a console only thing. I did a 10% race and the caution came out twice, and when I drove by, there were pieces of car on the track. I cant imagine that there is that big of difference between the two versions though, if so, that really sucks for console racers.

# 125 Chaos81 @ 09/23/10 02:10 PM
Quote:
Doesn't seem to have that option on the 360. Only options on Race Day menu are Participation Level, Race Distance, and Difficulty Level. Doesn't scroll down any further.
Sorry, I obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Move the cursor (Or whatever you want to call it) over difficulty level, and press whatever button you use to advance through menus. That should bring up another menu, where you can scroll down and select damage.

# 126 JRod @ 09/23/10 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
3 races isn't much, how long were the races anyway? THe CPU does wreck and there's video on youtube of the CPU wrecking.

The pit problem will be patched.

There are car failures

If you're into sim racing why would you not play on expert mode anyway???

Everything else you listed is subjective.
Ya, if there were no wrecks the codies forums would be ablaze.

And F1 isn't a sport were fans don't know it. Reviewers would have spotted the lack of wrecks and beat the game up for it. Outside of the pit problem, some of these things seem to down to people not having the correct game set-up. The pit issue is still there regardless.

# 127 bluengold34_OS @ 09/23/10 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Ya, if there were no wrecks the codies forums would be ablaze.

And F1 isn't a sport were fans don't know it. Reviewers would have spotted the lack of wrecks and beat the game up for it. Outside of the pit problem, some of these things seem to down to people not having the correct game set-up. The pit issue is still there regardless.
Agreed, the Codie forums would be so jacked up, the internet might shut down. I am seeing accidents, and the AI making mistakes driving off the track, and bumping into each other. I also see them taking different lines( as much as possible in F1 ) and they are not reckless with the interaction of AI and humans.

# 128 ExtremeGamer @ 09/23/10 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Sorry, I obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Move the cursor (Or whatever you want to call it) over difficulty level, and press whatever button you use to advance through menus. That should bring up another menu, where you can scroll down and select damage.
I haven't tried that yet, but if so, you sir are a genius! thanks!

# 129 Kully @ 09/23/10 02:42 PM
I'm getting tons of accidents and problems with AI drivers. At Abu Dhabi it rained during the race and about 3 cars span and crashed in the same corner.

That particular race was fun. I was in a Lotus and ended up leading the race due to a gamble with tires (I changed to drys before everyone else and was able to stay out while everyone else pitted). Led for about 10 laps before the other AI caught up to me, was hanging tough in 8th place when I got a puncture with about 2 laps left in the race. Shoved me down to 18th

The AI gets increasingly harder as you move up the difficulty, but as I improve my driving skills I kinda find them to be easy. I have a lotus in the middle of the pack usually and I can outbreak most of the AI opponents.

I've seen the AI make mistakes and stuff but in the 10 or so full races I've completed there hasn't been any AI retirements. Small sample though.

Does putting the engine on cruise effect anything? I want to make sure I don't blow up an engine down the line.

And one more question. I'd like to know how to get a good start. I tend to make up a few spots at the start but mostly by fluke.

And did anyone notice that the flashbacks (from race driver GRID) is back? I turned that off immediately, did not need the temptation lol

# 130 fool @ 09/23/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kully
Does putting the engine on cruise effect anything? I want to make sure I don't blow up an engine down the line.
Someone on here said that it's impossible for you to blow an engine, so no worries.

# 131 LingeringRegime @ 09/23/10 03:11 PM
I have a few questions about the online portion of the game...

What is the difficulty level?

Can you customize options?

How many game mode are available?

Thanks guys.

# 132 Kully @ 09/23/10 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fool
Someone on here said that it's impossible for you to blow an engine, so no worries.
Thanks, I went and checked as well.

Seems like the only way you can be knocked out of a race is if you crash. You won't be knocked out for mechanical errors or due to a blown engine.

# 133 RunN1st @ 09/23/10 05:28 PM
I got to spend a little time with it last night and this afternoon.
  • As most of you, I'm very impressed by the environment graphics and level of details.
  • The engine sounds are OK, when comparing them to the rFactor mod engine sounds. However, the sounds when you pass under an overpass or zoom by a pilar are unreal!
  • I absolutely hate the menu layout. It's like a easter egg hunt just to find simple options.
  • The feel of the wheel is done nicely for the G25. (The button assignments are pre-configured.)
  • I also tested the 360 controls and there is also a pre-configured option available. (I couldn't get it to rumble though.)
  • Time Trials are challenging but fun. They are very strick about cutting the track. Laps can be invalidated in a humming birds heartbeat if you're not careful.
  • I couldn't figure out how to Maximize the game window but found a post on the game forum! Alt-Enter to maximize.
  • The AI is savy in comparison to other sims out there like rFactor and Sony's F1 Challenge.

# 134 Sundown2600 @ 09/23/10 05:32 PM
Here are my early impressions for the PS3 just playing around in practice mode. I'll do a full review later on tonight or maybe tomorrow.

I started off driving with all driver aids turned off because that's the way I want to progress within the game, but let me tell the most enjoyable part of the game is driving (it should be in a racing game) Codemasters really nailed the nervous, skiddish feeling of a real F1 car. I can see Anthony Davidson's input made a huge impact on the 'feel' of the car. Low speed cornering is a true challenge. You truly need to feather the throttle coming out of slow corners especially if you are in low gears, or else you can easily find yourself in a wall with no front wing. I was racing in Melbourne and I was caught out several times trying to exit corners with heavy throttle. Previous games tried to emulate this but they just never got it right. I'm needing to learn from scratch how to race an F1 game because I am no longer able to cheat in slow corners by mashing down the throttle too early. The steering is very responsive the steering learning curve is almost at zero and that is a plus. It's easy to take this for granted but games in the past have had steering issues either too responsive or not responsive enough. Another plus is the ability to customize game controls. Big thumbs up for this because I switched out my gear shift buttons as the default controls didn't feel right as they were. I saw the AI on track during practice and they behaved normally. Giving plenty of room and respecting your space and their own. In the past I've seen AI cars flat out and all of a sudden slam on the brakes in an attempt to let you 'pass' and all you do is crash into them. The feel of the car and the AI in practice is pretty good. I still haven't raced yet I will comment on race AI later.

The graphics are nice but not mind blowing. The cars are well rendered and Albert Park looked very close to the real thing. I was a little disappointed that the mirrors are only visible by pulling on the right control stick. Very hard to do while racing even on the straights. It will take some getting used to. The menu interfaces are slick and easy to navigate. Be careful when playing a single GP and setting difficulty level. There are 'Simulation' options further down like tire wear and fuel consumption. I missed these early on and I see others have as well. I like the garage menu a lot it makes you feel part of a team and not just a guy controlling a car. I liked the close to official looking timing and scoring with purple and green sector times...the whole bit. The lighting effects in this game should not be taken for granted. Early morning practice sees the sun low in the sky. A very nice touch.

I'll be back with more later but I do have to say I am very disappointing with the with lack of a 'TV' race feature and most disappointing is the lack of a 'real life' camera angle on replays. That really sucks. Also the inability to rewind back to at least the previous lap is not good at all. The most I'm getting on the PS3 is a corner at best.

Oh forgot about sound. Sound is ok but I heard a guy complaining about a lack of environmental sound. That is not true I heard the crowd a few times coming out of corners with grandstands (final corner to the pit straight in Albert Park)

Ok that's it. I'll chime in with more as I play more need to wash clothes now.

P.S. One more thing. If you live in N. America and you didn't pre-order this game for the PS3 or 360 it will be very, very hard to find in the first week or two from now. Talked to a guy at my Gamestop and he said most locations are only getting 2-3 copies at best and they are going to those who pre-ordered. I'm also hearing many chain outlets like Best Buy and Wal-mart are not getting many games at all. Wal-mart is only selling online from what I've seen. I think Codemasters are reviewing early sales here in America and they will go from there. That last part is just a guess though.

# 135 JMD @ 09/23/10 05:49 PM
Quote:
Besides the pit problem, AI not crashing, no failures, now we get ZERO car damage unless played on expert. The worst interface of any sports game I've played, it doesn't even have an option to select car damage separate from difficulty level. The list just keeps growing. It's amazing that within a few hours of playing this game we can catch these errors. Codemasters couldn't catch them in months of testing? Right...

4/10. Avoid.
I'm not sure what system you have the game for but the above info is incorrect as far as the 360 goes.. With the 360 version of the game you can set the car damage under Difficulty Settings. I'm playing with the A.I. on Amateur and I can set the damage to - OFF , VISUAL ONLY , or FULL.

Also I have not had any issues with pit stops.

Also i love racing games, and this game is an excellent racing game. 9 out of 10.

# 136 bluengold34_OS @ 09/23/10 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I'm not sure what system you have the game for but the above info is incorrect as far as the 360 goes.. With the 360 version of the game you can set the car damage under Difficulty Settings. I'm playing with the A.I. on Amateur and I can set the damage to - OFF , VISUAL ONLY , or FULL.

Also I have not had any issues with pit stops.

Also i love racing games, and this game is an excellent racing game. 9 out of 10.
Thank you for clarifying that JMD, as I thought it was strange that you can change all of that on the PC, but that they would change it up on the 360.

# 137 Sundown2600 @ 09/23/10 06:26 PM
Question for PC gamers. How long are your replays lasting? On PS3 I'm only getting about 7-9 seconds. That's really disappointing.

# 138 Behindshadows @ 09/23/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Agreed, the Codie forums would be so jacked up, the internet might shut down. I am seeing accidents, and the AI making mistakes driving off the track, and bumping into each other. I also see them taking different lines( as much as possible in F1 ) and they are not reckless with the interaction of AI and humans.
I guess it must be console issues, because on PC, I'm getting crazy drivers a few wrecks, and I'm getting plenty of car damage. I even broke my right wheel until the car was not able to driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Question for PC gamers. How long are your replays lasting? On PS3 I'm only getting about 7-9 seconds. That's really disappointing.
Full Replays!!! Check Video Below!!!

# 139 Sundown2600 @ 09/23/10 06:39 PM
Damn PS3 users get shafted on NCAA 11 replays now this game! Even the Xbox gets full replays on NCAA 11 I bet they get full replays on this game too. That takes a lot away from the game on PS3 it really does.

# 140 bluengold34_OS @ 09/23/10 06:43 PM
If he is talking about full replays after a race...its 100% as evidenced by BS's video above. If he is talking about jumping out and hitting replay during a time trial, its about 9 seconds also. I just checked and it would only go back approximately 9 seconds.(PC version)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.