Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

Take-Two Interactive's chairman Strauss Zelnick believes the company could walk away from its third-party MLB exclusivity deal when it expires in 2012, according to Reuters. At this point, he feels like Take-Two is not reaping enough benefits from the current deal.

Quote:
"It's a losing proposition and we don't have any interest in pursuing losing propositions."

While that comment almost makes it seem like it's a foregone conclusion that Take-Two will walk away from the MLB deal in 2012, Zelnick also made it clear he was not opposed to renewing the exclusivity agreement if the terms changed.

Quote:
"He said the company is open to renewing its game licensing agreement with Major League Baseball, but only if the economics change."

The "economics" he is hinting could deal with how the game sells in the coming years or how much cash has to be doled out for the license, but in the grand scheme of things that does not really matter.

In fact, I could have just typed "blah blah blah blah MVP Baseball 2013 could happen blah blah blah blah" and it would have sufficed here, especially for Xbox 360 owners out there who have not been able to get their grubby green hands on The Show during this generation of consoles.

Source - Reuters Summit-Take-Two sees opportunity in digital (Reuters) via (Kotaku)

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ryan36 @ 12/06/10 12:46 PM
Come on guys n' gals, I thought 2k10 was really fun. Yet I play the Show religiously, let's not ascribe our arbitrary definitions of "good" to others' opinions.

The games have different strengths , keep it civil and NO game warring.

# 62 timmermac @ 12/06/10 01:03 PM
So far, my only problem with the 2k series has been - to me - a glaring error in at least one statistical computation that the game has made in the versions that I've seen. If 2k10 has fixed this, please let me know, as I don't have the game and haven't tried to play it elsewhere. The computation for fielding percentage is supposed to be (PO + A)/(PO+A+E)=FP. The game doesn't even calculate total chances correctly, as it doesn't add A to the equation. It also calculates FP incorrectly, even taking into account the lack of A in the equation. The game calculates FP using the equation (PO-E)/PO=FP, which is so far off I almost did a spit-take the first time I saw it, back in 2K6. It still did it that way in 2K9, at least on the PS2.

# 63 countryboy @ 12/06/10 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB01
How am I ruining it for others ? It's not even like that. I'm just here to talk about MLB 2K. What ? I'm not allowed to post in this forum cause I prefer to play MLB The Show ? Is that how it is ?
not when you're constantly bashing and slamming the game. Thats called trolling and its annoying to read through.

# 64 spankdatazz22 @ 12/07/10 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
not when you're constantly bashing and slamming the game. Thats called trolling and its annoying to read through.
what he said

# 65 metal134 @ 12/07/10 05:16 AM
I'm glad at the prospect of exclusivity ending, but honestly, I'm not all that excited about a new MVP. I feel that MVP 2005, while fun in short bursts and not without it's merits, is a highly overrated game, for my tastes at least. It never achieved on the field statistal realism and any game that doesn't do that, to me, is dead in the water. It's fun to play exhibition games every now and then, but it can't hold my attention long term. Now, I felt it was a game that had trememndous potentional, but had a long way to go. The way I felt about the Show for a long time until 08'. If there is a new MVP game, they will essentially have to start over. I doubt EA would just pick up a 7 year old game and just take it from there.

# 66 DickDalewood @ 12/07/10 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
I'm glad at the prospect of exclusivity ending, but honestly, I'm not all that excited about a new MVP. I feel that MVP 2005, while fun in short bursts and not without it's merits, is a highly overrated game, for my tastes at least. It never achieved on the field statistal realism and any game that doesn't do that, to me, is dead in the water. It's fun to play exhibition games every now and then, but it can't hold my attention long term. Now, I felt it was a game that had trememndous potentional, but had a long way to go. The way I felt about the Show for a long time until 08'. If there is a new MVP game, they will essentially have to start over. I doubt EA would just pick up a 7 year old game and just take it from there.
It's not about all these other companies instantly releasing great games... it's about these other companies now BEING ABLE TO release a game. Whether those games are great right of the gate or not is irrelevant, what IS needed is the competition this will provide, which will in turn result in better games across the board.

# 67 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/07/10 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
CB, you know this has always been a "gray area" on this very forum. Some will leave some criticism, and then be jumped on for bashing. When they are just voicing their displeasure no different than ones that do it on any other forum. I personally don't see him as trolling any more than the ones who feel they need to turn the blind eye to glaring issues, and lambaste him for his displeasure's about the game.

How is a game to improve if one can not voice their displeasure's in certain areas?

He has no infractions for his comments, they are not to that point. Not everyone is going to like what everyone has to say. That is why proper discourse and healthy constructive feedback is what is needed. Not have him attacked by the same group who jumps on people every year in this very forum, for having issues with areas of the game that the general consensus knows needs improvement.

I am not trying to stick up for anyone, but it seems it is already starting where one's can not say anything that bothers them about this game, without being labeled as something they clearly are not doing. How is this forum supposed to function if all the comments have to always be positive?

Any-who, just my observation over the past year on here, and thus why I avoided this forum at all costs this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
It's not about all these other companies rereleasing GREAT games... it's about these other companies now BEING ABLE TO release a game. Whether those games are great right of the gate or not is irrelevant, what IS needed is the competition this will provide, which will in turn result in better games across the board.
Agreed!

In 05', while not every game was perfect, it was the best year for baseball gaming competition.

MVP 05
ASB 05
WSB 05
HH 05
MLB 05

But we are also lucky to have developers (SCEA-SD) who care so much about their game and the sport of baseball, as well as their consumers to pump out a great game, and try to outdo themselves every year.

# 68 Artman22 @ 12/07/10 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I don't think your characterization of MLB01 is accurate. Often his hit and run comments are just potshots at developers. But what really annoys those of us that have enjoyed the 2K series over the last few years is how he pretends that overlook issues in the game.

Even the biggest supporters of he game acknowledge the slew of problems with the game. Most of the time it is 360 users that are trying to find work-arounds and ways to enjoy the game despite the issues. No one is voting for it in game of the year polls. No one is trying to convince PS3 users to abandon The Show. We have just found a way to enjoy in spite of some of its problems.

MLB01 hates the game. He has a PS3 and and enjoys the heck out of The Show. There is, seriously, not a single reason for him to CONTINUE to pick at the flaws of the game. Baseball season is over. No one is buying either game anymore. There is no customer that needs saving from a flawed purchase. And really, is there anyone on OS that doesn't understand exactly where 2K baseball stands right now?

So when we look forward to what might be a better game next year, we really don't need him to take time to just bash the game. There are plenty of us that are excited for the new game that have listed out what needs to be improved, what might be improved, and what probably won't be improved. THAT'S a discussion.

MLB01 only contributes negative impressions, and does so by slamming the developers. If he has no faith in the game, he should move on, and follow The Show's development. If the the 2K game drops and happens to be good, it will be there waiting for him.

But the fact is, he is a troll. When he sees a 2K baseball thread, he is not visiting it to see what people have to say and discuss the game. He sees it as another opportunity to pile on and call out the same flaws that he has been repeating incessantly for months. It's pathetic. And it is unnecessary because for this game, the fans of the game are acutely aware of the problems facing the series.

You are right. This is a gray area. But MLB01 is not in it. He is full-on in the black.
You hit the nail on the head. Everyone of us knows the problems with this franchise, and we all have discussed it to death without bashing the game. We all agree that this franchise needs lots of work. No one is turning the blind eye to anything. I love baseball in general, and really like the show and to me it's the better game, but I also enjoy mlb2k. Country Boy was 100% correct on what he said about MLB01. When all you do is go to a forum to talk about how terrible mlb2k is at every chance you get, and how the developers are terrible. It becomes annoying to hear it ALL the time. There's a big difference between bashing and constructive criticism. Lets not derail the thread. We all want the exclusive license to be a thing of the past so we can all have more options, or atleast I know I do.

# 69 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/07/10 01:14 PM
Well lets get back on topic, and not lambaste MLB01 too much, because then you yourself would in essence be trolling.

I have not followed him too much, but I also never seen anything too serious, or he would have have an infraction already... there is a report function people.

If you feel it is that bad and needs reporting, then do so, calling him out just creates unwanted tension, and things get off topic, nothing gets discussed, and then nobody enjoys themselves.

I think we all want the exclusive licensing crap to stop... for every sport. We all want years like 05 for variety and just about every baseball game was owned by us hardcore that year.

# 70 SoxFan01605 @ 12/07/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis

Agreed!

In 05', while not every game was perfect, it was the best year for baseball gaming competition.

MVP 05
ASB 05
WSB 05
HH 05
MLB 05

Yup. I know MVP is everyone's wet dream around here, but I actually played ASB more for the consoles, and stuck with HH2004 on PC.

Speaking of which...

I couldn't care less who makes it (with the caveat of course being that it's good) but what I want is a new, up-to-date baseball game for the PC, that is as deeply customizable as HH was. Who knows, maybe MS will do it once the deal is up. One can dream.

My trouble with 2K's PC offering (aside from general gripes that affect all platforms) is that it's teased me with the custom parks, jerseys, etc...but is essentially as limited as the consoles other than such visuals.

# 71 timmermac @ 12/07/10 02:17 PM
For me, the pinnacle of non-text based PC Baseball gaming was HH 2001-2003. 2004 for the PC had a number of annoying issues. A new PC baseball game should probably use those games as a base.

# 72 bigfnjoe96 @ 12/07/10 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac
For me, the pinnacle of non-text based PC Baseball gaming was HH 2001-2003. 2004 for the PC had a number of annoying issues. A new PC baseball game should probably use those games as a base.
This.. That statistical engine on the HH series was 2nd to none. Though the graphically it left some to be desired, between the lines HH was a great series

# 73 Artman22 @ 12/07/10 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Yup. I know MVP is everyone's wet dream around here, but I actually played ASB more for the consoles, and stuck with HH2004 on PC.

Speaking of which...

I couldn't care less who makes it (with the caveat of course being that it's good) but what I want is a new, up-to-date baseball game for the PC, that is as deeply customizable as HH was. Who knows, maybe MS will do it once the deal is up. One can dream.

My trouble with 2K's PC offering (aside from general gripes that affect all platforms) is that it's teased me with the custom parks, jerseys, etc...but is essentially as limited as the consoles other than such visuals.
I remember the HH series. They had the worst graphics, but the gameplay was good. Do you recall ASB with the suction catches? especially on the ground balls?

# 74 ryan36 @ 12/07/10 04:17 PM
Ok, yeah, lay off any particular poster , guys.

ASB's problems...were the pitcher batter interface, the .5 inch fielders, and stealing got way too easy. Also I didn't like the roster limits they put on you.

HH's problems were pretty much all graphical/presentation. And no pre-set stealing. I think this was one of the best pitcher /batter interfaces of all time, if not the best.

WSB 2k5...a little easy to hit home runs, and steal. LOVED pitching.

MVP 05' was pretty damn awesome. Best fielding ever, I liked the graphics. Batting felt too random- and couldn't hit anything outside the zone. Also , pitch meter was a little easy.

MLB 05' hadn't come into it's own yet.

And now, we have The Show, with lackluster fielding, and 2k10, with lackluster fielding (for different reasons) .

R-Stick controls coming from MVP College series to 2k, and now the Show has "hinted" they may be in the game next year.

Pitching meter came from MVP and was used in the Show. 2k employs a different meter based on R-Stick.

Throw meters from MVP. The deep offline franchise, and MoM from ASB (although other PC sims had MoM...FPS, Hardball, HH)...and Hardball had it from SNES days too.

Pitch colors for types of pitches from MVP, now used in 2k. (Although too intrusive for my liking.)

I think ASB was the first game to have active bullpens (meaning you can see pitchers warm up).

Point being, competition is good, as all these companies would take their own flavor, and supplement it with what worked from other titles. Now we have only 2, and we see that across all sports games.

# 75 mwjr @ 12/07/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
This.. That statistical engine on the HH series was 2nd to none. Though the graphically it left some to be desired, between the lines HH was a great series
Best gameplay, bar none.

And for those claiming the The Show got better only because of 2K, that's not true. The folks at the show were already improving the game before the emergence of the MLB 2K series.

# 76 CMH @ 12/07/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Best gameplay, bar none.

And for those claiming the The Show got better only because of 2K, that's not true. The folks at the show were already improving the game before the emergence of the MLB 2K series.
The point isn't that 989 got better only because of 2K. The point is that because of competition, because consumers have an option, developers must always find ways to improve the quality of their product.

I think we can all agree that 989 cares about their product. They want to get better every year. But, do not ignore what competition does to a company. Competition drives innovation.

# 77 countryboy @ 12/07/10 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
CB, you know this has always been a "gray area" on this very forum. Some will leave some criticism, and then be jumped on for bashing. When they are just voicing their displeasure no different than ones that do it on any other forum. I personally don't see him as trolling any more than the ones who feel they need to turn the blind eye to glaring issues, and lambaste him for his displeasure's about the game.

How is a game to improve if one can not voice their displeasure's in certain areas?

He has no infractions for his comments, they are not to that point. Not everyone is going to like what everyone has to say. That is why proper discourse and healthy constructive feedback is what is needed. Not have him attacked by the same group who jumps on people every year in this very forum, for having issues with areas of the game that the general consensus knows needs improvement.

I am not trying to stick up for anyone, but it seems it is already starting where one's can not say anything that bothers them about this game, without being labeled as something they clearly are not doing. How is this forum supposed to function if all the comments have to always be positive?

Any-who, just my observation over the past year on here, and thus why I avoided this forum at all costs this past year.

I wasn't going to respond, but you know I have to. I don't need to be lectured on how the forums are supposed to run, the function and the purposes, I'm well aware. At no time did I say that someone couldn't voice their criticism. I stated my opinion on a particular poster's habits in this thread. I don't care if he's been infracted or not, my opinion doesn't change.

So please, save me the lectures and the explanations of how things are run around here. In the time that I've been here, I'm pretty sure I've got the jist of it.

Thanks.

# 78 CMH @ 12/07/10 06:08 PM
Guys, just drop it, please. No sense in talking about it.

# 79 SoxFan01605 @ 12/07/10 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
I remember the HH series. They had the worst graphics, but the gameplay was good. Do you recall ASB with the suction catches? especially on the ground balls?
Yup. Or how about the low fly balls that would suddenly arc up and over the wall? ASB had some very shady gameplay issues...lol. What I loved about it though was a lot of the "little things" (kind of how The Show has become known for them now).

The Ivy changed at Wrigley, the fantasy parks were awesome, they had balks, expansion mode, some good and sometimes funny announcing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
At this point, if a High Heat or MVP game were to be released, they would have to be judged on their own merits. There is no reason to believe either would live up to any past glory, nor fail to do so. Both would be brand new franchise to market, with a familiar name on the box.
Very true. I also think it would likely take a couple years for a new entry to get it's footing.

As I've said before though, the more the merrier. Back when there were choices, I would cycle through 3-4 of them a year for various things I liked. Made it real easy for baseball to go year round and still feel perfectly fresh.

# 80 DickDalewood @ 12/07/10 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB01
Consider this though.. it's not direct competition really cause The Show isn't made for the 360. If The Show was made for the 360, I'd agree with you 100%.

I mean, 360 owners don't have an option. Only the PS3 owners have an option and it's been statistically proven that most PS3 owners go with the baseball game that has a better foundation. Also, 2K Sports games on the PS3 usually look worse and have a clunkier framerate than the 360 version, so, ya know, I'd say all that has to be considered when you say what you say.
They're both made for the PS3... so it's still competition, and 2K wants to create a game that BOTH console owners buy, not just 360 customers.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.