Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Custom Rosters in Franchise mode WITH AI controlled teams for unassigned teams = Amazing.

I wrote about this a few days ago that I wanted it, and here it is! Loving the preview...I cannot wait to play this game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
'

M.K.
Knight165

Other online improvements include flexible divisions in leagues (2, 4 or 6), custom roster support for league play, and the ability for commissioners to set AI controlled teams so that you can play in a league with 30 teams even if you have only a handful of human players.

TOO YUMMY!!! OS/Knights for online play! Book IT!

# 142 Knight165 @ 12/15/10 05:50 PM
My tongue is bleeding from biting it so hard.

M.K.
Knight165

# 143 Knight165 @ 12/15/10 05:52 PM
CO-OP!
I wonder what would happen if two Met fans....say Knight and Pared played head to head against two Yankee fans....say Nem and 42?

M.K.
Knight165

# 144 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 05:53 PM
Quote:
CO-OP!
I wonder what would happen if two Met fans....say Knight and Pared played head to head against two Yankee fans....say Nem and 42?

M.K.
Knight165

Someone trips the reset button?

Spoiler

# 145 PsychoBulk @ 12/15/10 05:53 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
If im reading into that what i think i am, we are all going to be happy chappies

# 146 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 05:53 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
Knight because of you I am going to be living the dream brother!

Online Franchise w/ YOUR roster!

# 147 tabarnes19_SDS @ 12/15/10 05:54 PM
Can't wait to hear about franchise improvements....Hopefully STATS STATS STATS as well as better tracking of player movement and team affiliation throughout the years.

No Trade Clauses etc.....AHHH the wait

# 148 PsychoBulk @ 12/15/10 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Can't wait to hear about franchise improvements....Hopefully STATS STATS STATS as well as better tracking of player movement and team affiliation throughout the years.

No Trade Clauses etc.....AHHH the wait
The bit in bold - i hear you loud and clear brother Barnes.

Baseball is a game of statistics, let us be buried in them during a game!

# 149 42 @ 12/15/10 05:56 PM
Quote:
CO-OP!

M.K.
Knight165

# 150 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 05:57 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
Please tell me you will get the game early and will have chance to edit rosters in time for release....OR they are flying you out to do that at SCEA....OR they converted your '10 file....OR...Wishful thinking :-/

# 151 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Lets revisit this statement in about 20 minutes
Has it been 20????

# 152 Blzer @ 12/15/10 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Blzer ... look at this one pic... and I am sure it will be even more noticeable in tomorrow's comparison shots...

That looks as legit and as authentic proportion wise as it gets... there is no "ugliness" ... arms are fixed, shoulders, etc.

Look at the arms and shoulders here too!!!

Much improved. Looks legit now! Pop '10 back in, you will see what I am talking about.

They can not just "adjust" previous models ... that is not how it works with their system, animations, etc ... they have to build from the ground up with a new skeletal system. It is going to look similar, cause of the stellar textures and faces the game employs. You do not change the great texturing if it already looks great... but I can tell the skeletal structure is all new by looking at it.
Actually I think you're right, I based it on the one screenshot I noticed that has the batter camera. The models looked roughly the same as they've ever been. But these shots above certainly have a much different look to them.

Not that I'm not nitpicking hehe, maybe my eyes are just getting worse these days.

# 153 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 06:05 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
That's what she said!

# 154 Blzer @ 12/15/10 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Lets revisit this statement in about 20 minutes
I wouldn't be any happier to be wrong, Russ!

# 155 Bellsprout @ 12/15/10 06:07 PM
Well.... I'm ready for this game already.

Can't wait to get my analog swing on.

# 156 K_GUN @ 12/15/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
TOmba there is NO way those are the same player models from 10.

and to piggyback...go rent a copy of MLB '08 and tell me they haven't changed the player models.....i think this player model thing is happenening in stages

# 157 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
and to piggyback...go rent a copy of MLB '08 and tell me they haven't changed the player models.....i think this player model thing is happenening in stages
This is so true. I hated the way MLB games looked in the past, and by MLB '10 I thought it was one of the best looking games on the market. They have made improvements, and from the screens I seen for '11 there is something different that I cannot seem to put my finger on.

Hopefully we will see the evidence of that very soon.

# 158 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041941768

Trust me ... these are all brand new models ... the fantastic texturing is the same, yes, but the skeletal structures are all new.

# 159 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
I am stoked about Godzilla. He is probably the only Yankee player I ever liked while he was a Yankee. That being said, he isn't going to carry the team alone on his scaly lizard shoulders while breathing fire down upon the rest of the AL. We need to add at least one more bat to help out. We failed at Dunn, Berkman, Beltre, and who knows how many others that didn't make the news. But as far as The Show 11 goes, I really hope that Godzilla's card is new and doesn't have his Angels uniform, or worse.......
They are usually pretty good w/ this. Anyone that signs before like Jan or Feb usually gets into the game with their new photo. (Granderson last year and Swisher/Teixeira year before are examples that come to mind). Matsui also had his Angels cap on in last years game.

# 160 Chizzypoof @ 12/15/10 06:36 PM
So these are the perks of your team winning the World Series. Your team gets the first pics. I kinda like it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.