Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Braves Fan @ 02/19/11 05:06 PM
I'll be honest, I can live with bad commentary if everything else in the game is great. This is the last thing I want them to worry about fixing.

I wasn't blown away from this clip like a lot of people seem to be but the lighting was better. The game looks good.

I'll be buying it on release day, can't wait!

# 82 Braves Fan @ 02/19/11 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
Take a listen to that ASB 2004 commentary and tell me that's not what people are asking "The Show" to be more like

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/a...eo%3Btitle%3B2
That's too much commentary, it's great but they are talking too much and aren't calling the action. I don't want the Show to take it that far. If the announcers are too busy having a conversation to actually do play by play there is a problem, no?

# 83 Visionsofmastery @ 02/19/11 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Saw video for 3rd time and noticed one more small thing.

Hughes had Crawford 0-2 in the first inning after retiring the first 2 batters of the game on 2 pitches.

Why wasn't the crowd going nuts on the 0-2 pitch? This didn't happen in the last few years either, but I thought atmosphere was improved. This is something that I would say is atmosphere and WAS NOT improved on.

Aside from that and left-centerfield banner (yet to be confirmed if it is IRL) I'm loving everything else about that video.
Very true , thats when you get the big hoooorahhh or awwwwww after every pitch , only thing better is when the 3rd batter on 0-2 gets a mistake and crushes it the crowd goes silent lol

# 84 Heroesandvillains @ 02/19/11 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
That's too much commentary, it's great but they are talking too much and aren't calling the action. I don't want the Show to take it that far. If the announcers are too busy having a conversation to actually do play by play there is a problem, no?
No.

Have you ever watched a NESN broadcast?

Orsillo and Remy are constantly overlooking the easy plays (lazy grounders/can of corns) to continue an interesting/funny conversation topic.

# 85 Blzer @ 02/19/11 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
How? Look at the video and go play '10... nothing groundbreaking.
I would agree, but I'm between everybody here. There's nothing to absolutely salivate over like we haven't seen it before, this isn't like the last game we played was MLB 07. There are, however, some huge differences in it that are remarkably noticeable. The player models for one, the lighting for another (though remember guys this is from a camcorder so you won't be seeing the gamma and contrast exactly as it appears from this video, which is why it looks so "sunshiney" and different), behavioral differences (interactions with bases and fly balls), very nice authentic camera cuts for walkups, the sexyboard (or "scoreboard" for some), and my personal favorite being the new way the ball seems to come in and be called in the strike zone. And I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the time changes on the sexyboard during in at-bat, not just after it. The daytime and weather progression must/might be dynamic in the middle of at-bats as well.

It was a very short clip with a bunch of worthwhile notables, and I loved every second of it. No we didn't get to see meter pitching or the sports ticker, and yes the game has had a similar look and feel to it for years now (which isn't necessarily bad), but the best part is you can't find any relative negatives from this video whatsoever. The only thing I'm hoping for one of these days is more fluid commentary, as it seems like Rex Hudler was just replaced with a new voice and set of lines (though it sounds like they'll chime in on different cues, since Karros spoke as a batter was walking up on one shot).

Needless to say, it's tough to walk away unimpressed by this short clip. This game will really shine when it's in our hands, especially with the loads of customization and in-game variants that will differ from years past.

# 86 Tommyklaid @ 02/19/11 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Saw video for 3rd time and noticed one more small thing.

Hughes had Crawford 0-2 in the first inning after retiring the first 2 batters of the game on 2 pitches.

Why wasn't the crowd going nuts on the 0-2 pitch? This didn't happen in the last few years either, but I thought atmosphere was improved. This is something that I would say is atmosphere and WAS NOT improved on.

I noticed this too - they REALLY have said they worked on that aspect, BUT THIS is a MUST in baseball and I wish it was better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
Take a listen to that ASB 2004 commentary and tell me that's not what people are asking "The Show" to be more like

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/a...eo%3Btitle%3B2

Yes, to a point, I agree with you - but to me noone even chimes in when the ball in hit to the 2nd baseman until AFTER Ichiro reaches...soooo, I guess a "middle ground" between THIS & The Show is what I'm lookin' for.

# 87 Blzer @ 02/19/11 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols bravesfan
You didn't notice the improved lighting or better player models?
What he might also be saying is we've seen it since the first trailer and batch of screenshots from this game as well. It's nice to see some unspliced video with commentary, seeing it as we're going to be playing it. With that, it looks absolutely fantastic and the years spent working on the new player models are definitely worth it! I honestly see it more in the pitchers than the batters, as it's almost like their size overbears you on the mound. I love that "presence" they can offer.

# 88 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 02/19/11 06:07 PM
Here's a few more videos that show ASB's solid commentary

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...eo%3Btitle%3B4

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...eo%3Btitle%3B4

The commentary in these videos is similar to the shows but the color comments by Lyons have a faster pace and flows more natural with the broadcast

If they could just get Dave & E.K's comments to trigger instantly after each play without pausing it would already sound like a more natural flowing broadcast

# 89 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 02/19/11 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc23klaid
Yes, to a point, I agree with you - but to me noone even chimes in when the ball in hit to the 2nd baseman until AFTER Ichiro reaches...soooo, I guess a "middle ground" between THIS & The Show is what I'm lookin' for.
Ya I agree that ASB's commentary still has flaws but the interaction in the commentary is natural sounding and if the show can come up with a hybrid of ASB's flowing interaction style mixed with what they have now...It will be amazing

# 90 K_GUN @ 02/19/11 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Is the ball shadow back? It was missing in '10 so I hope so..Love doing it so I can turn off all indicators.
no... it wasn't missing in '10...just played a game today...ball shadow was alive & well...quite well

# 91 Shakedowncapo @ 02/19/11 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
no... it wasn't missing in '10...just played a game today...ball shadow was alive & well...quite well
OK cool. But I noticed(and I think Pared) that in '09 no matter what the conditions, you could see a shadow of the ball and you would make your fielding adjustments according to the camera depth and the speed of the shadow. Made fielding very exciting.

# 92 DickDalewood @ 02/19/11 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
How? Look at the video and go play '10... nothing groundbreaking.
Lol, if you say so

As far as commentary, I actually enjoy The Shows. Yes, it's definitely done better in other games, but it's nowhere near "God awful". It had a nice relaxed baseball fell to it IMO, they just need to add a little more back and forth.

# 93 econoodle @ 02/19/11 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiball
wow, I am so incredibly in the minority I am afraid to even post and get ripped. Let me say first of all that I think MLB 10 is AMAZING. Still playing it, loving it, it has its issues but its the most realistic baseball game i've ever played.

With that said, AND knowing I am only seeing short clips of 11, I am trying hard to see all the incredible changes you guys are seeing. I totally see the changes to the shoulders and it does help the models look much better. I can see the shift in lighting, and once I see the dynamic cloud cover and weather in action I am SURE I will be completely sold. But when I look at the videos I see the same broadcast presentation, the same cuts, the same animations (mostly) the same commentary (and I agree that now Karros just sounds "added in"), and in general, even with the screenshots (sans sunset clouds) I'm not totally sure I could tell you which was 10 and which was 11 if I was really honest with myself and not closely examining it.

Its still amazing, I just have to admit that so far it looks like a good update to what was already a great game....and thats probably saying it all. How much more could they really do to something that was already so great?

I am happy to read Knight and Nemesis and the boys chime in since they were there and saw it first hand, so I am encouraged form what they say. And personally I have to admit that what I am dying for is brand new commentary that is dynamic and jointed and a much different much more realistic broadcast presentation since both of these things are what carry over for the most part from year to year and make it "feel" like the same game...with upgrade. So when I dont see this I probably feel less excited then most of you.

In closing, I'm finding myself less excited this year and nothing is really blowing me away from what I have seen. Yes, I am probably a jaded modern day consumer who has it all and is uneasily impressed anymore...and probably come March 8th and the first time I dont hear Rex and see the sun set at Fenway and see all the little things that I cant see from the clips, I will eat so much crow.
i agree with you bodhi.

love the lighting, player models and such, but Russie in the interview in the other thread said he;d be there hours if he talked about all the presentation improvements.
I know these are short clips.
But the Brewer/Met one looked the same as 10 in terms of camera cuts [they have been the same for years now], commentary [badly stiched] and basically the same overlay 'skeleton' [too busy].
As a graphic designer, I feel the overlays in the game are wayyyyyy too busy.
Way too busy.
Like they are trying too much to make them look good by having all sorts of angles and what not.
Though its been that way for years with SCEA.
Less is more.

Dont even get me started on the commentary.

Is it time to reboot that or what?
Wonder why Soup is still there?

As far as the graphics in the clip, my oh my, can it get ANY better!?
The color and clarity is off the hook.
I cant wait to see Yankee stadium at 6 pm with rain on the way!!

Last year you could lightly squint and it would look EXACTLY like real life.
This year, you might not have too!

Unreal.
This is the power of The Show being built in house.

The T-Rex look is long gone and i am so happy for that, makes the players look much better, though I still think the thighs on guys are still too muscular.

HOpefully we get some more vids before the demo drops showing off the presentation elements Ramone spoke of.

# 94 K_GUN @ 02/19/11 10:14 PM
my only gripe I still have (or likely to have with '11) is the crowd AI..they're just not very smart in key situations...with Hughes up on Crawford 0-2 that crowd would be loud/boisterous looking for the K......didn't play out that way.

# 95 econoodle @ 02/19/11 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan

I agree AND disagree.

While baseball is better with less commentary since its a nice and easy going game, there are commentators that talk over plays and talk a lot.
Red sox crew for example, they do it.

its an easy solution. when u have something to say, make it interesting, if it overlaps the play so what. as long as they dont ignore anything big.

Plus, if u grew up listening to the Scooter on WPIX then you will understand/

# 96 Shaffer26 @ 02/20/11 12:08 AM
Just showed this video to my GF and her jaw was dropped. Hurry up March 8th!

# 97 Tommyklaid @ 02/20/11 12:11 AM
Quote:
my only gripe I still have (or likely to have with '11) is the crowd AI..they're just not very smart in key situations...with Hughes up on Crawford 0-2 that crowd would be loud/boisterous looking for the K......didn't play out that way.

exactly!

# 98 Chai2112 @ 02/20/11 09:45 AM
Wow. The reflections in the helmets during the batter walk ups are unbelievable. The lighting is much improved from '10. The grass looks so much better, and the depth of the field has definitely been expanded; now the outfielders actually look like they're in a large field, as opposed to in past years where the fields seemed just ever so small. Thanks SCEA for once again perfecting the only video game I play!

# 99 nemesis04 @ 02/20/11 10:21 AM
Quote:
We had someone who dealt with atmosphere/sound in the room with us and went through a whole game taking notes on how the crowd should react in certain situations. So I do not know if we will see any of it in 11 or its a project for 12 but they should have quite a few notes on this, I mean a lot of notes.

# 100 Mad dog 31 @ 02/20/11 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
We had someone who dealt with atmosphere/sound in the room with us and went through a whole game taking notes on how the crowd should react in certain situations. So I do not know if we will see any of it in 11 or its a project for 12 but they should have quite a few notes on this, I mean a lot of notes.
Really hyped to see this addition, regardless of when it happens. Great work giving them notes on "smart" fans. They should be louder in key moments. Gonna make the best sports game franchise even better next year!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.