Home
Madden 12 News Post

According to some Darren Rovell sources, if the vote ended today, Peyton Hillis would be on the cover of Madden NFL 12. Strong rumblings around the web say, it's a wrap.

Official word comes Wednesday.

Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Kevin26385 @ 04/24/11 11:12 PM
In regards to seeing ads with Hillis....This isn't 2001 where the cover athlete is the center of the marketing strategy.

They will show a trailer and the guy will say "EA Sports" like the past 5 years and show hillis on the cover...Not a big deal at all.

# 62 Brandwin @ 04/24/11 11:13 PM
The voting thing was dumb to me, and now we see why.

It's stupid Hillis will be on the cover, should be a star player.

LoL @ EA.

# 63 PVarck31 @ 04/24/11 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
The voting thing was dumb to me, and now we see why.

It's stupid Hillis will be on the cover, should be a star player.

LoL @ EA.
Why is it dumb? Its how EA wanted it. To let the fans choose. Its brilliant marketing actually. And I really don't think Hillis is stupid.

# 64 bichettehappens @ 04/24/11 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
This is way off IMO.....the cover athlete I thought was supposed to be one of the elite guys in the NFL...your Brady's and Mannings and Petersons etc. Hillis? Please....I love the guy and his attitude and all but for God sake he was 11th in the NFL in rushing. 11th!!!!! Nice year....but a 4.4 average is...well...average in the NFL......how Rodgers doesn't get it is mind boggling. He had 1000 yards passing the POST SEASON!!!!!! He's now in the top 4 of Qb's in the NFL and you could argue for him being number 1!!!!
this whole thing reminds me of baseball's all star game where the fans vote for who they want to see.....not the most deserving. Sorry...in my book Hillis on the cover is a big minus......

If you had to pick, gun to your head, who is going to have the best year next year and the best career...Hillis or Rodgers????? No brainer.....Rodgers all the way.
What's mind boggling about it? Hillis crushed Rodgers in the votes.

It's about who the fans want, after all... Who buys the game???

Why are people acting like the Madden cover is an MVP-like honor?

# 65 bichettehappens @ 04/24/11 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
Why is it dumb? Its how EA wanted it. To let the fans choose. Its brilliant marketing actually. And I really don't think Hillis is stupid.
Exactly, look at all the attention this is getting and he hasn't even won yet lol. People are discussing this on music forums and whatnot even. EA knows what they're doing when it comes to marketing

# 66 kehlis @ 04/24/11 11:43 PM
It's sad that this amount of people don't view Hillis as a stud (not surprising though).

He hasn't had a bad season since entering the league except for the year he met Josh McDaniels. Good for him, I hope he wins.

# 67 OSUFan_88 @ 04/24/11 11:43 PM
Is anyone going to give a legit answer to the "Why is Hillis considered pedestrian?" Question?

Or is 1600 total yards and 13 TD's not good enough for some people? Especially considering he had one of the worst passing games in the NFL on his team too.

# 68 kingkilla56 @ 04/24/11 11:44 PM
I still dont understand why it's illegal. From a legal standpoint. If EA doesnt honor the results of the "contest" who will sue? Nobody is exactly losing money here except maybe the contestants? I dont get it. (not very familiar with this side of the law in all honesty)

# 69 Brandwin @ 04/24/11 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
LoL.

I just didn't like the fact that someone without "star" power will be on the cover.

For the record - I didn't partake in the voting, and I don't really care who's on the cover.

Also, I didnt say Hillis isn't a good player. He just doesn't have that star power, yet. Maybe this will help make him a household name.

# 70 kehlis @ 04/24/11 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Is anyone going to give a legit answer to the "Why is Hillis considered pedestrian?" Question?
No, those making the claim don't follow football enough to know why what they are saying is false.

# 71 kingkilla56 @ 04/24/11 11:49 PM
Hillis isnt a pedestrian player but he isnt top echelon out here. And dont get mad at Hillis people...you voted him this far (or the crazed browns/arkansas fans did). If EA went with Hillis on their own accord, I would say he Vince Young'd himself onto the cover...but thats not the case.

EA messed this one up. The player representatives from many teams were questionable...just look at the two final teams...

# 72 OSUFan_88 @ 04/24/11 11:51 PM
The only reason Hillis isn't considered elite is because he played on a team that sucked and had no QB until the end of the season.

His stats and ability are more than enough to be considered elite.

# 73 kehlis @ 04/24/11 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Hillis isnt a pedestrian player but he isnt top echelon out here. And dont get mad at Hillis people...you voted him this far (or the crazed browns/arkansas fans did). If EA went with Hillis on their own accord, I would say he Vince Young'd himself onto the cover...but thats not the case.

EA messed this one up. The player representatives from many teams were questionable...just look at the two final teams...
This is a very arbitrary statement.

Maybe not to you. What makes a player top echelon?

# 74 kingkilla56 @ 04/24/11 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
The only reason Hillis isn't considered elite is because he played on a team that sucked and had no QB until the end of the season.

His stats and ability are more than enough to be considered elite.
I disagree. His stats dont support him being elite.

# 75 mestevo @ 04/25/11 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
I still dont understand why it's illegal. From a legal standpoint. If EA doesnt honor the results of the "contest" who will sue? Nobody is exactly losing money here except maybe the contestants? I dont get it. (not very familiar with this side of the law in all honesty)
State law related to contests are not typically a simple affair. As a result that's why your routinely see states or Canadian provinces excluded in the terms. In the case of this one "Residents of Florida, New York and Quebec are not eligible". Florida I think has a process where the state has to vet and approve the contest... a process few companies/contests bother to take the time to do so instead those residents are excluded.

Adembroski confirmed it would not be legal for them to change the results of the bracket contest... that doesn't mean they couldn't turn around and put Vick on the 360 and Hillis on the PS3 cover or something (or make all of the participants' covers available for download if licensed appropriately).

From a feature and promotional standpoint, I could make a pretty good case that Hillis and the Browns would make good poster children for franchise mode. Superstar mode too.

# 76 kingkilla56 @ 04/25/11 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
This is a very arbitrary statement.

Maybe not to you. What makes a player top echelon?
Well, disregarding team specific handicaps or advantages,
having 10 players ahead of you in rushing in the league,
10 players (with a min 1,000yrds) with a higher YPC than you,
20 players with more 20+ yard rushes than you,
Having a season long of 48 yrds,
Having 8 players with the same or more tds than you,
14 players with a higher ypg than you (73.6),
lead the league in fumbles,
10 players with more 1st down runs,

doesnt make elite in my book. You gotta be top 5 in something other than fumbles. Maybe its just me

# 77 PVarck31 @ 04/25/11 12:11 AM
I don't think he is elite (yet), but I certainly don't think he is pedestrian.

# 78 kingkilla56 @ 04/25/11 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
State law related to contests are not typically a simple affair. As a result that's why your routinely see states or Canadian provinces excluded in the terms. In the case of this one "Residents of Florida, New York and Quebec are not eligible". Florida I think has a process where the state has to vet and approve the contest... a process few companies/contests bother to take the time to do so instead those residents are excluded.

Adembroski confirmed it would not be legal for them to change the results of the bracket contest... that doesn't mean they couldn't turn around and put Vick on the 360 and Hillis on the PS3 cover or something (or make all of the participants' covers available for download if licensed appropriately).

From a feature and promotional standpoint, I could make a pretty good case that Hillis and the Browns would make good poster children for franchise mode. Superstar mode too.
Thanks for the detailed response. It makes a little more sense now.

# 79 Dog @ 04/25/11 12:16 AM

# 80 roadman @ 04/25/11 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
EA blew this and they know it. Sorry but Peyton Hillis is not a house hold name. Cover players are usually establish stars and not one big year.

EA should have had Cribbs from Cleveland who is a known pro bowl player

Having Vick would suck because he is a POS but having Hillis is putting an unknown to the average football fan who is going to say WHO?
I disagree it will dent their sales big time. Most people don't buy who's on the cover, but what's inside the cover.

I don't know why people feel that cover athletes have this huge impact on sales.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.