Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

The Gaming Tailgate has posted all sorts of NCAA Football 12 custom playbook information. Here is a bullet list, but head on over to get more details.
  • Total plays - The max number is 377, but it varies between 370-377 based on the team's base playbook.
  • Playbooks - 15 on offense 15 on defense
  • 40 formations total
  • Can be used in Online Dynasty and ranked/unranked online games
  • Goal line and Special teams are in each playbook
  • ...Also, I found this to be pretty handy, but your Custom Playbooks will show up after the Z's and before the A's in the order at the team selection screen. I think this is handier than alphabetical order because it will group all of your custom playbooks back-to-back so you can easily go from one to the other (when you have defaulted one of your custom playbooks as your default playbook).
  • ...unfortunately there won't be any easy way to share custom playbooks. I'm not sure if you will be able to transfer save files or something between consoles or not but there is no dedicated online sharing like rosters has.

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 schumj @ 05/10/11 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoAid
Really? i disagree with that. The box i play in is called SIM... and you don't see Texas Tech running the flexbone mixed in with their spread. You don't see Standford running wishbone sets or the Maryland I.

The extra layer needed is "style". You should have to designate a "style" that limits the formations you can choose from... I'm not saying you couldn't have some option stuff in there as a spread team.. but it should be very limited selection.

Again, all my opinion.
Amen! Now we will play games online against Ga Tech, Texas Tech Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Oklahoma and TCU all in the same game. Already saw the post saying can't wait to have my wishbone, spread, read-option, power I playbook. Yah cuz that makes the game so much more realistic.

# 62 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpozibowl
For me 15 defensive playbooks means 3 for me (base/balanced, power run/option def, pass heavy/spread def) and 12 customized to the 12 teams I play that year in dynasty... no more engage 8 blitzes! It'll be nice to try to give defenses some realism (sliding and super jumping aside).
I can't believe anybody is going to complain about this feature. It is an excellent addition, period.

Think of how diverse user games are going to be now in our favorite ODs. I am more excited about defensive playbooks as we all know there are formations that just don't work very well.

# 63 smace767 @ 05/10/11 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
I can't believe anybody is going to complain about this feature. It is an excellent addition, period.

Think of how diverse user games are going to be now in our favorite ODs. I am more excited about defensive playbooks as we all know there are formations that just don't work very well.
Im not complaining about the feature or complaining in general. As a core concept of football, gameplan and scheme should matter.

Now every team will basically run a multiple which in turn, takes out that chess match.
In Ncaa 11 if i see you have wisc as a playbook, i know what your core concept is. wisc still has passing formations but i know your core style. Same with Texas Tech Miss st ect...

With this almost every decent player will have all 14 parent formations i listed and have multiple plays from each one.

Keep in mind there are only so many formation unique plays, and bet your *** most guys will have everyone of them at their disposal.

i should feel confident i got a power run team in 3rd and 12. now it matters less. same with the air raid team inside the 10. Now both those teams will not be handicapped because they will have many plays for every situation.

Think of the audibles. Watch guys will audible from power i, to 5 wide to ace heavy, to wildcat and run no huddle. Im not worrying about stopping it. its that playing guys with different styles will actually decrease in my opinion.
Whats gonna be funny is some guys will run all these plays with players who are no best suited to run them. hopefully ratings and AI balance this.

# 64 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
Im not complaining about the feature or complaining in general. As a core concept of football, gameplan and scheme should matter.

Now every team will basically run a multiple which in turn, takes out that chess match.
In Ncaa 11 if i see you have wisc as a playbook, i know what your core concept is. wisc still has passing formations but i know your core style. Same with Texas Tech Miss st ect...

With this almost every decent player will have all 14 parent formations i listed and have multiple plays from each one.

Keep in mind there are only so many formation unique plays, and bet your *** most guys will have everyone of them at their disposal.

i should feel confident i got a power run team in 3rd and 12. now it matters less. same with the air raid team inside the 10. Now both those teams will not be handicapped because they will have many plays for every situation.

Think of the audibles. Watch guys will audible from power i, to 5 wide to ace heavy, to wildcat and run no huddle. Im not worrying about stopping it. its that playing guys with different styles will actually decrease in my opinion.
Whats gonna be funny is some guys will run all these plays with players who are no best suited to run them. hopefully ratings and AI balance this.
Ok, I can give you credit for this post. I see your point.

I can definitely see the possibility of basically every good player running the same plays because, well, those plays are the best plays in the game, type of deal.

Hmmm.....interesting. I know in the OD I am that is still running strong with 12 users (its very dedicated) we all are way into it and have our own styles and whatnot so I would like to think that we will see some very diverse playbooks. However....you do raise an interesting question. Should there be a limit to the actual range of plays you can choose from?

It is true that in real life you wouldn't see a flexbone team come out in shotgun five wide or i-form tackle over but, as far as the audible concern I would LOVE for someone to come out in flex and audible to 5-wide, HBs at WR won't do crud. And especially going from shotgun to flex, yeah they might have speed in their backfield but better pray that ball doesn't get stripped.

Basically, upon further review, I do think you have valid concerns, but I truly feel like if you surround yourself with likeminded gamers the custom playbooks are going to add a new layer of depth and immersion as a "virtual coach." Especially if you can find dedicated ODs.

# 65 blkrptnt819 @ 05/10/11 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumj
Amen! Now we will play games online against Ga Tech, Texas Tech Oregon, Wisconsin, Stanford, Oklahoma and TCU all in the same game. Already saw the post saying can't wait to have my wishbone, spread, read-option, power I playbook. Yah cuz that makes the game so much more realistic.
So r u saying you can't stop it? The ppl that complain about it are the people who r agonizing over stopping it. Offense picks their play first problem solved. I honestly don't see one bad thing about this feature. U have a custom defense so I don't see the problem. A lot of the offenses on the game show a lot of different sets so what's the difference?

# 66 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
So r u saying you can't stop it? The ppl that complain about it are the people who r agonizing over stopping it. Offense picks their play first problem solved. I honestly don't see one bad thing about this feature. U have a custom defense so I don't see the problem. A lot of the offenses on the game show a lot of different sets so what's the difference?
I agree with this. The custom defensive playbooks are going to be awesome for me. I am a defensive player

# 67 coogrfan @ 05/10/11 02:14 PM
Quote:
I think his point was that it is completely unrealistic to have a single team running wildly different offensive styles in the same game. If you're fine with that, cool.

# 68 schumj @ 05/10/11 02:15 PM
Quote:
It has nothing to do with agonizing over stopping it. It has everything to do with being realistic. Take a look at teams that change styles in the history of football. How many are able to go from one type to the next successfully in a years time? Now you will have teams that have 120 different styles in one game. There should be a penalty from being able to do this. I am not saying it is a terrible feature but a lot more would have to go into it to make it great. Your players should not be able to run the spread with the same success as the triple option. It should at least decrease awareness ratings across the board when you move from your "offensive style".

# 69 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 02:15 PM
But is it a bad thing? Seems kinda exciting to me.

# 70 coogrfan @ 05/10/11 02:20 PM
Quote:
But is it a bad thing? Seems kinda exciting to me.
I suppose that depends on how concerned one is with the notion of "sim ball".

# 71 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 02:26 PM
Fair enough Coogr, fair enough.

I am a guy who ran (and still runs, when PSN is actually working) the generic multiple playbook in NCAA 11. I run mosty the I form, split I, and shotgun formations but will throw in a speed sweep from flexbone or power option from wishbone one in a while. LSU's playbook in 11, assuming its accurate, is pretty varied as well.

I would agree with the statement/idea that awareness and other ratings should be affected dynamically depending on the formation, but that would mean they would in turn need to add a "class system" to where when recruiting a guy it says "spread, pro style, option" etc which then could lead to other issues.

# 72 Solidice @ 05/10/11 02:32 PM
well, If the 40 max formations includes the goal line + special teams + Hail Mary, that means you'll really only have about 27 formations to choose from for offensive plays. remember some formations are "hidden"

the "locked" formations, going off how the formations were in NCAA 11:

Goal Line(for some playbooks, this would have 1-3 formations because of hidden ones, EX: Florida)
Hail Mary - 4WR
Hail Mary - 4WR Trey
Hail Mary - Spread
Hail Mary - Wing Trio Wk
Kickoff - NCAA
Kickoff - Normal
SP Teams - Fakepuntdirectsnap
SP Teams - Punt
SP Teams - Punt Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Prot Fake
Safety Punt - Normal

but still, 370-377 plays for 25-27 formations is a lot.

# 73 J-Unit40 @ 05/10/11 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
My girl is going to be so pissed...
Isn't that the truth.

This game is just going to be golden. I am really getting excited (as if I wasn't already before...

# 74 smace767 @ 05/10/11 02:37 PM
Quote:
Ok, I can give you credit for this post. I see your point.

I can definitely see the possibility of basically every good player running the same plays because, well, those plays are the best plays in the game, type of deal.

Hmmm.....interesting. I know in the OD I am that is still running strong with 12 users (its very dedicated) we all are way into it and have our own styles and whatnot so I would like to think that we will see some very diverse playbooks. However....you do raise an interesting question. Should there be a limit to the actual range of plays you can choose from?

It is true that in real life you wouldn't see a flexbone team come out in shotgun five wide or i-form tackle over but, as far as the audible concern I would LOVE for someone to come out in flex and audible to 5-wide, HBs at WR won't do crud. And especially going from shotgun to flex, yeah they might have speed in their backfield but better pray that ball doesn't get stripped.

Basically, upon further review, I do think you have valid concerns, but I truly feel like if you surround yourself with likeminded gamers the custom playbooks are going to add a new layer of depth and immersion as a "virtual coach." Especially if you can find dedicated ODs.
im in a few dynasties that have been going since ncaa 09. one is a MAC dynasty with low to avg talent teams. 12 users all in the mac.
Another one in particular we have 31 seasons completed. Advance everyday(for the most part) with the same core of 8. We all have football minds and its a 6* dynasty. Florida, usc ohio st, texas, ou ect...

With these level teams everyone has the talent to play any style and 3 non conf games are user games. just by default we will have multiple type attacks if given the opportunity. We all have backups and different talent type players that we would like to see on the field in different type offensive plays. I remember during the last two seasons i had finnally signed a stud qb with a cannon to go along with good to great wide outs. the problem i had was i also had top 3 hbs three years in a row and had a nice stable.

As it should be it was hard for any one playbook to get everyone touches. With this implementation i could get everyone the ball. because no one player will build that great resume it might become easier to keep studs 4 years.
At this level of competition we are gonna run plays to be successful and win games and sign recruits.

# 75 The JareBear @ 05/10/11 02:37 PM
Yeah I am with you Sol, the zone defense and custom playbooks are enough to get me to show up at walmart at midnight just to get my hands on it

# 76 blkrptnt819 @ 05/10/11 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
well, If the 40 max formations includes the goal line + special teams + Hail Mary, that means you'll really only have about 27 formations to choose from for offensive plays. remember some formations are "hidden"

Goal Line(for some playbooks, this would have 1-3 formations because of hidden ones, EX: Florida)
Hail Mary - 4WR
Hail Mary - 4WR Trey
Hail Mary - Spread
Hail Mary - Wing Trio Wk
Kickoff - NCAA
Kickoff - Normal
SP Teams - Punt
Safety Punt - Normal

That's evn better. I only need 24-26 so I can still do what I need to do.

# 77 smace767 @ 05/10/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice

Hail Mary - 4WR
Hail Mary - 4WR Trey
Hail Mary - Spread
Hail Mary - Wing Trio Wk
Kickoff - NCAA
Kickoff - Normal
SP Teams - Punt
Safety Punt - Normal

Some guys are checking this but the earlier thought was

1 they were consolidating some formations like gator heavy and bulldog heavy into one heavy formation.

Special Teams is one formation type with many different plays like it is now. You pick the special teams formation and in it is fg, punts qb kneel ect so special teams as a whole is one formation.

Same with hail mary. one formation with different alignments in the play.

Same with Florida's goaline. one formation with a power I, wishbone within it.

# 78 georgiafan @ 05/10/11 03:02 PM
Here is my take on the debate about if its realistic or not.

Something that I think people are over looking is just that 400 plays is a lot. I just looked and on my last game (6 min qtrs i think) I ran 55 plays. Going off that average I could go about 7 games with out calling the same play twice. I think everyone is like me and will not call that many diffrent types of plays.

I also think that alot of times this time of year we over think alot of things. If it's 3rd and 9 then there is 90% chance i'm passing the ball with atleast 3 WR. I'm sure the defense should be aware of this and be in a nickle defense. If it's a 3rd and 1 then there is 90% i'm running the ball with some kinda FB/TE.

I'm a guy that's gonna have a power run playbook, but i'm gonna have some 4&5 WR sets in them.Also just because I have the 4&5 WR sets in my playbook doesn't mean I'm gonna be using them all the time. If i'm in a close game I'm gonna go with my bread and butter which is power football. I'm mainly putting the pass plays in when I need to score quick.

Also they are easy work around for this if it's a offline dynasty then use house rules. If irs a OD then find one that doesnt allow custom playbooks or has limitions on them.

# 79 blkrptnt819 @ 05/10/11 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
im in a few dynasties that have been going since ncaa 09. one is a MAC dynasty with low to avg talent teams. 12 users all in the mac.
Another one in particular we have 31 seasons completed. Advance everyday(for the most part) with the same core of 8. We all have football minds and its a 6* dynasty. Florida, usc ohio st, texas, ou ect...

With these level teams everyone has the talent to play any style and 3 non conf games are user games. just by default we will have multiple type attacks if given the opportunity. We all have backups and different talent type players that we would like to see on the field in different type offensive plays. I remember during the last two seasons i had finnally signed a stud qb with a cannon to go along with good to great wide outs. the problem i had was i also had top 3 hbs three years in a row and had a nice stable.

As it should be it was hard for any one playbook to get everyone touches. With this implementation i could get everyone the ball. because no one player will build that great resume it might become easier to keep studs 4 years.
At this level of competition we are gonna run plays to be successful and win games and sign recruits.
Now how muc would you LOVE to beable to transfer that dynasty over to 12? Tht's one thing. I want that I don't believe I will get this year but most else EA has come thru.

# 80 smace767 @ 05/10/11 03:11 PM
Ok the community day guys just posted Special teams, Hail Mary and Goaline are all inclusive and 3 separate formations. The variation in plays depends on your default.

If you choose florida as the base, you will have the 3 Florida formations that are locked. Goaline, Special teams, and Hailmary. Those formations will have all of the different alignments and type formations for that team inside. All special teams plays and alignments are in the special teams, same with goaline and hailmary.

So 37 is the max user defined formations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.