Home
Madden 12 News Post

Donny Moore recently announced four players in Madden NFL 12 rated at 99. Are they overrated? Who do you feel should be rated this high?

Quote:
It's official...The Four Highest Rated Players in Madden NFL 12 are Tom Brady, Troy Polamalu, Antonio Gates, & Darrelle Revis all at 99 OVR

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 mcompton @ 07/20/11 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havokeff
Manning has won almost as many games as Brady with far below average defenses. It balances out the 'mediocre WR' argument. Brady usually has a far stronger running game. I don't use rings as a measure of individual greatness, otherwise someone could make the argument that Terry Bradshaw was as good a QB as Joe Montana because they both have 4 rings. Or someone could say the Rothelisberger is better than Marino was. C'mon now.

Also, without Brady, Bill Belichik can get 11-5 out of whats his name with his coaching and team he has built. Also, if Vinateri has a couple of bad kicks, Brady is a "choke artist". (Not to mention he needed a kicker to win his Superbowls) Oh and the Tuck Rule in 2001.

The Colts can't even win 2 games without Manning. (Dungy and Irsay are forever douchebags in my book for that boneheaded move.)

And honestly, even Brady has said Manning is the better QB. And before you say "oh he is just being gracious", he could have said nothing on the issue or just said thank you to the people that said he was the best and no one would have said anything bad about him.

I will give that Brady has been really efficient, but he has had better overall teams and far better coaching than Manning has. Really, the only place Brady hasn't consistently had an advantage over Manning is the receiver position, except the year Moss decided to actually play.

All that said, it's like comparing a 10.1k diamond to a 10.2k diamond. The argument for Brady being the best is certainly there and I only dispute it as far as I would personally choose Manning as my QB over Brady.

As I originally said, they both deserve the 99 (it doesn't mean they have the exact same strengths and weaknesses by the way) for the game as they are both absolutely the best at their positions as or right now and are head and shoulders above any other QB playing.
Belichick might have went 11-5 the season w/o Brady but look who they played: NFC and AFC west teams (That's 7 wins right there and then the Bills twice) That's an easy 9 wins right there and they found a way to win 2 more games. Plus they didn't make the playoffs that year.

I know it's impossible to say who's better, but I believe Brady is actually getting better now while Manning is slowly fading.

# 102 AJ91 @ 07/20/11 01:03 PM
Nhamdi Asomugha should be 99. Revis should be 95. Antonio Gates? Seriously? put him at 93. I guess Troy is a 99, sure. Brady should be a 99, not a big time Pats fan, but he had a great year.

# 103 PaPZ187 @ 07/20/11 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_MiK3Y
i've Heard of this one guy his name is Nnamdi Asomugha. Just a less tested than Revis. QBs already know not to pass it near Nnamdi. Jussst Sayinnnnn.
Nnamdi is an excellent player, and IMO should be a 98 if Revis is a 99.

The reason that Revis sees more passes his way is because he follows the opponents top weapon no matter where he lines up (left, right, slot, etc.) so if you want your best player involved you have to go through Revis (just ask Reggie Wayne in the playoffs - 1 catch for 1 yard!).

As great a player as Aso is, to avoid him you just line up your top WR on the opposite side of him and its as easy as that. Revis plays straight man to man the majority of the time without any help over the top and will cover you in the slot and/or either side of the field where as Aso is limited in that regard.

Again, not taking anything away from Aso as he and Revis are the ONLY 2 true shutdown CBs going today, just IMO (and plenty of others from GMs to analysts to current players and coaches) Revis is slightly better overall.

# 104 blakenation11 @ 07/20/11 01:37 PM
Manning is not 99? Still put up elite numbers even though his O-line would have had trouble starting for most colleges.

# 105 schnaidt1 @ 07/20/11 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter55
I can agree with this except for the rookies. I'd make the following changes:

1st rounders - 70-79 (absolute elite rookies in college above 77: Von Miller, A.J. Green, Prince Amukamara, Marcell Dareus)
2nd & 3rd rounders - 60-69 (a pretty even distribution here)
Rounds 4 through 7 - 46-59
rookie free agent - 30-45

I know that no rookie ever proves that he belongs in the NFL, but that doesn't mean that you can't neglect what he's done at a level lower. Anyway, there's a lot that goes into the NFL draft, why should it not be reflected?
the problem with this system is there are no first round busts or late round gems.

id say set a max as far as how high any rookie can be. and i think 77 is the highest. which is good considering in season progression.

and have a scale for what u can expect from most of the rounds. but they are not limited to that range. otherwise it takes the fun out of drafting. if u can draft a future tom brady in the 6th round. that cant happen if they are only rated 49 no matter what....

# 106 iBlievN5 @ 07/20/11 03:30 PM
i can't see how there'd really be too much of a problem with these ratings, these are all elite guys at their positions. my only thing is Manning being left off and even then, he's not more than a point away.

# 107 mojo6911 @ 07/20/11 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastShibby
One season's stats is what you have to a ridiculous claim that Whitten is better than Antonio? You must be a gigantic homer or just not really pay attention to football enough to recognize talent.

I'm a Charger fan sure, but Gates is still behind Gonzalez.

1) Tony Gonzalez
2) Antonio Gates
3) Chris Cooley
4) Jason Whitten
5) Owen Daniels
WTF are you smoking? Chris Cooley? Gonzalez at the top? I will give you Gates over Witten, but you are high.

# 108 wrightnreyes @ 07/20/11 05:01 PM
polamalu a 99? he got roasted in coverage a lot last year.

# 109 Bellsprout @ 07/20/11 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncatto
They won the Superbowl because they have the best recieving corps in the game right now and they have top defense.
Who was the MVP of that game?

I'm not saying Rodgers is the sole reason we won, but he made some brilliant throws that day and throughout that postseason run.

# 110 KiNG_tP5 @ 07/20/11 09:20 PM
It DOESN'T matter you CAN edit them to your liking. When it comes to online play just wait a week or two since they change weekly. Stop crying.

# 111 RayLenearl @ 07/20/11 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
I'm amused by the Antonio Gates vs. Witten debate here. I wish this debate happened in Week 12, before Gates finally stopped playing (after having suffered a severe foot injury since the start of the season!)... at that point, Gates was playing the best football from the TE position I have ever seen. I think hindsight is blinding people here. Gates was scary dominant those 10 games, even with the foot injury.

In 10 games, Gates had 10 TDs. (Witten had 9 in 16 games)
In 10 games, Gates had 3 100+ yard performances. (Witten had 1 in 16 games)
Gates had a career high 78.2 yards per game (Witten: 62.6)

More yards per game, more 100+ yard games where he simply took over games, and more TD's... and Gates did it in 6 LESS games! Are you kidding me?

And who were defenses worrying about against San Diego? No Vincent Jackson and all the receivers were injured half the time... Gates got all the defensive attention but it didn't matter.

Compare that to Witten who was practically given all the underneath stuff on a platter from defenses worrying about Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, and even Roy Williams.
This post should've shut down any Gates vs. Witten argument. Keep mind ****ing yourselves homers.

# 112 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 07/20/11 10:29 PM
brady ok, revis what-eva. troy is not better then ed reed and gates at 99 is a joke. that means clark witten and vernon davis should be 93-98

# 113 Jarodd21 @ 07/21/11 12:47 AM
Ed Reed and Peyton Manning should definitely be a 99..

# 114 Palo20 @ 07/21/11 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPZ187
Nnamdi is an excellent player, and IMO should be a 98 if Revis is a 99.

The reason that Revis sees more passes his way is because he follows the opponents top weapon no matter where he lines up (left, right, slot, etc.) so if you want your best player involved you have to go through Revis (just ask Reggie Wayne in the playoffs - 1 catch for 1 yard!).

As great a player as Aso is, to avoid him you just line up your top WR on the opposite side of him and its as easy as that. Revis plays straight man to man the majority of the time without any help over the top and will cover you in the slot and/or either side of the field where as Aso is limited in that regard.

Again, not taking anything away from Aso as he and Revis are the ONLY 2 true shutdown CBs going today, just IMO (and plenty of others from GMs to analysts to current players and coaches) Revis is slightly better overall.
Even though you're a Jets fan, this is well said.

IMO, Revis is the best player on the planet.

# 115 CJTHA1 @ 07/21/11 02:48 AM
How in the world is Gates a 99 when he is not even this best TE in the NFL. That belongs to Jason Witten and he shouldnt be ranked a 99 either. D-Ware should be a 99 cause he is unblockable. Revis is a very good corner but he shouldnt be a 99 either.

# 116 CJTHA1 @ 07/21/11 03:06 AM
Oh and one more thing..The reason Jason Witten is better than Gates is because Jason is a complete TE and Gates is not..Period

# 117 raidertiger @ 07/21/11 03:40 AM
Let's assume everyone is right and Nnamdi doesn't cover number 1 receivers. Then why isn't Stanford Routt a 90+, since he must be doing it and putting up nice numbers?

# 118 KOTC Wayne @ 07/21/11 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Who's arguing for Tony Gonzalez to be 99?

A 99 player should execute every aspect of his position at the highest level. Gates is probably the best receiving TE going today, he doesn't execute every aspect of the TE position at the highest level and that's not really in question.

If this debate were taking place 15 years ago, I would argue against Deion Sanders being a 99 overall by virtue of his tackling, although he's definitely be 99 worth as far as man coverage, speed agility, etc.
The way the game has always been as far as players overalls is some attributes of a specific players position weigh more on the influence of that particular player Ovr than others and a TE's blocking is one of the least of factors they weigh in on that. Even in real life, I would want my CB to be able to tackle ( Deion ) but if he can't tackle that good but is superb in coverage rather it's man or zone then I will take that any day of the week.That's like saying Brady or Manning shouldn't be 99 Ovr b/c they can't scramble which is an execution the QB has to make at times. With Witten and Gates, I'm a Cowboys fan but I have to give the nod to Gates and his athletic ability plays a big factor in it.

# 119 KOTC Wayne @ 07/21/11 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodeus
Some are missing the point of Witten/Gates debate.

Witten is the best TE in the league, Gates is not. He is just the best receiving tight end, he is practically a wide receiver playing tight end. Witten does everything a tight end should do better then anyone it the game.
True but the game doesn't factor that in like I said before and even in real life, who did the players vote the best TE today in the Top 100 voting on NFL Network? While Witten blocks better than Gates and I'm sure it's not by a long shot, Gates can take over a game in the TE position and Witten can hurt you but not in the way Gates can.

# 120 therealsmallville @ 07/21/11 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
Ed Reed and Peyton Manning should definitely be a 99..
With the ratings based on last year, why do you think Manning should be a 99? Not arguing with you, just curious. I would think that 3 game stretch of picks would be enough reason to keep him at 98 (and honestly...1 point of overall will not make a difference anyway. He'll play like a 99).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.