Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Jordan Returns: 2K Sports Announces
Trio of NBA® 2K12 Covers Featuring Three NBA Icons

Michael Jordan, joined by Larry Bird and Magic Johnson,
to grace three unique artistic covers in celebration of NBA legacy

New York, NY – July 21, 2011 – 2K Sports announced today that NBA® 2K12, the next installment of the top-rated and best-selling NBA video game simulation franchise*, will offer three separate covers for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft featuring three of the NBA’s greatest legends of all time, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

The new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork, and will spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: the Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics, and Los Angeles Lakers. The covers featuring Bird and Johnson will be available at launch in a limited quantity.

A new feat in sports gaming, this three-part collection extends the strong legacy established by NBA 2K11, which has sold-in more than 5 million units worldwide and garnered over 20 video game accolades, including 14 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ honors.

“Bringing Michael Jordan to the virtual hardwood last year was a huge success for NBA 2K11; however, we didn’t want to stop there,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “We’re bringing ‘His Airness’ back to the NBA 2K franchise as part of a multi-year extended partnership, along with two other legendary icons – Larry Bird and Magic Johnson – for a special cover athlete collection representing the NBA’s greatest heroes.”

The unprecedented, stylized artwork covers underscore 2K Sports’ passion for bringing fans authentic NBA basketball across generations, while celebrating the legacy of legendary hoops athletes, past and present.

The cover artwork for NBA 2K12 was created by Adam Larson of Adam&Co. Larson has created dynamic artwork for galleries, magazines and various product advertising campaigns. His work has received numerous honors, including the Kelly Awards, Cannes Lions, Clio Awards, and two primetime Emmy nominations

NBA 2K12 can now be pre-ordered from leading video game retailers nationwide, and will be available on October 4, 2011, for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360, Wii™ system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system and Windows PC.

NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 rspencer86 @ 07/21/11 12:58 PM
I love Jordan and the great players of the past as much as the next guy, but I really don't like these historic covers. It's just odd to me to see "2K12" and guys whose prime was 20-25 years ago on the same cover.

To me it sends the message that the current NBA product isn't good enough. Shouldn't the league want to promote current stars: Kevin Durant, LeBron, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, etc.? Isn't that good for the league?

Focusing so much on past legends will just feed into the idea that the NBA is past its glory years.

I do love the addition of more classic teams though. It's fun to revisit the great squads of the past. That's why you see so many historic rosters and mods.

# 82 da ThRONe @ 07/21/11 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
He's basically a compliment to their work because they make a great game already.

Why not add great marketing with it?
If slaping his Airness on a box means more sells they have to do what they have to do. Hell why not just make him the cover athlete indefinitely?

# 83 jd@os @ 07/21/11 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
the jordan cover looks best but since he was on 2k11 ill switch it up this year. Woulda been better if each player had an appropriate backdrop cover (magic johnson purple/yellow, larry bird green) it just doesnt look right to have red behind all 3 players. Regardless i gotta go with magic johnson, favorite player of all time.
They can still change the cover art. I know NCAA Football 11 had different covers for different platforms, but the cover art reveal for the PS3 version was a little different from the cover art of the released retail version.

# 84 jeebs9 @ 07/21/11 01:02 PM
I'm not disappointed one bit lol... but it looks like a MJ cover again. He must be banking on this deal! Only reason he would do it lol. Hopefully they get Charles Barkley in this one. Will be very nice to have.

# 85 VDusen04 @ 07/21/11 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Wonder if they'll offer DLC... Id bite to get some more stuff in there myself

teams and shoes and jersey's.. retro stuff, but thats just me.
That was my first thought. Alleged pre-order codes to unlock the '91 Warriors and '01 Kings makes me think that will only be the beginning (in terms of code utilization this year). I'd love for a ton of classics to be included in-game, but if DLC is the necessary means, I'll bite as well. I remember last year the reasoning behind a "classic DLC" idea would be that the prices could possibly help go toward classic player-rights fees. I don't know how any of that works, but I'm pretty sure I'd be all over it anyway.

# 86 sportjames23 @ 07/21/11 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
I love Jordan and the great players of the past as much as the next guy, but I really don't like these historic covers. It's just odd to me to see "2K12" and guys whose prime was 20-25 years ago on the same cover.

To me it sends the message that the current NBA product isn't good enough. Shouldn't the league want to promote current stars: Kevin Durant, LeBron, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, etc.? Isn't that good for the league?

Focusing so much on past legends will just feed into the idea that the NBA is past its glory years.

I do love the addition of more classic teams though. It's fun to revisit the great squads of the past. That's why you see so many historic rosters and mods.
Thing is, IMO, it's true--the current NBA doesn't match up with the NBA of Jordan's, Magic's and Bird's time. And I'm pretty sure most guys my age feel the same. Yeah, it's mostly a generational thing.

I still don't get the complaining by some about classic players and teams in this game. No one is forcing anyone to play with them. If you like current players and teams, play with them. Let us old heads have our fun recreating our youth.

# 87 23 @ 07/21/11 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
If slaping his Airness on a box means more sells they have to do what they have to do. Hell why not just make him the cover athlete indefinitely?
It wouldnt get a complaint from me, but its not that necessary

When its said and done, people around the world recognize these guys as a drawing tool

This in no way takes from the current product, and its obvious if 2k11 got them above 5 million units sold and was the best 2k made out there, then I dont see what the problem is

# 88 thekida @ 07/21/11 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
That 01' Kings team means nothing without the '01 Lakers to play against. Same with Run TMC not having all their great competition from their hay day.

Can't wait for more info.
agreed. so 2001 lakers then?

i found a vid on youtube of MJ going off on the 90' and 92' Golden State Warriors team so that leads me to believe they included the GSW since they are possible apart of the Jordan challenge. but if that is the case why make em part of the pre-order and not just have them in the game already? well there is no point in speculating. Can't wait to hear more info...

# 89 jeebs9 @ 07/21/11 01:06 PM
I'm just sitting here clicking like like like... We need a "Love button"

# 90 Xx Qontrolz xX @ 07/21/11 01:07 PM
i'm probably part of a minority here but if the game is great and well improved in terms of gameplay, AI, modes etc... they can even put bush, obama, sharon and a dancing donkey on the cover i couldn't care less

i'm really concerned about them focusing too much on a new MJ/MJ/bird mode and not on the ESSENTIAL

# 91 23 @ 07/21/11 01:09 PM
What essential are they not focusing on?

# 92 jsg @ 07/21/11 01:11 PM
i'm hoping for a collectors edition

# 93 Goffs @ 07/21/11 01:12 PM
so will the classic teams have all the missing players or are we going to get the starting five only?

this was all planned out already so they should have more classic players signed on for the game...

# 94 rspencer86 @ 07/21/11 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Qontrolz xX
i'm probably part of a minority here but if the game is great and well improved in terms of gameplay, AI, modes etc... they can even put bush, obama, sharon and a dancing donkey on the cover i couldn't care less
I would guess you are actually in the vast majority (of OS'ers anyway). 2K could put Lil Bow Wow on the cover and it would still get rave reviews from people here if the gameplay, franchise mode, presentation, etc. was excellent.

Covers are most important for the people on the fence or the non-hardcore fans. These are the type of people that might be walking around Best Buy looking for the next great first person shooter game and catch a glimpse of Jordan on the cover of 2K and say "awesome, I might give this game a shot!".

# 95 Sausage @ 07/21/11 01:12 PM
Can't wait. A hard decision. I love Jordan, Magic, and Bird. What I plan to do is purchase 2K12 with the Jordan cover and then when prices drop pick up Magic and Bird.

# 96 jd@os @ 07/21/11 01:14 PM
Here's another good reason to do a classic cover...

We all know that 2K doesn't market with commercials well. So random 30+ year old guy with a PS3 is in a store that sells video games (let's say Wal*Mart). He sees NBA 2K12 with Dirk on the cover, but quite possibly might never know that Jordan is in the game (you already know the current stars are in there). But same random guy sees Jordan on the cover, picks it up, and buys it.

You gotta be kidding me if you don't think something like that would happen.

# 97 airjoca @ 07/21/11 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Qontrolz xX

i'm really concerned about them focusing too much on a new MJ/MJ/bird mode and not on the ESSENTIAL
Last year there was concern that they were focusing too much on the Jordan mode, and not the essential? It turned out ok didn't it?

# 98 da ThRONe @ 07/21/11 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
It wouldnt get a complaint from me, but its not that necessary

When its said and done, people around the world recognize these guys as a drawing tool

This in no way takes from the current product, and its obvious if 2k11 got them above 5 million units sold and was the best 2k made out there, then I dont see what the problem is
I'd like to think this was why they sold as much. Not a cover athlete.

# 99 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 07/21/11 01:15 PM
I want the Bird cover for sure

# 100 Xx Qontrolz xX @ 07/21/11 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What essential are they not focusing on?
idk.. just saying i hope they didnt forget to work on some huge flaws (MP AI teammates, trades logic in every mode, servers?, some gameplay problems etc...) b/c focusing too much on some old school modes

makes sense?

honestly, will the MJ challenges stay in our memories?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.