Home
Rugby World Cup 2011 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

The Rugby World Cup 2011 demo is available now, post your impressions here. You can queue it up right here, weighing in at 540 MB.

Play England Vs South Africa in this Demo version of Rugby World Cup 2011. In the Full Game, 20 nations will compete against each other, fighting every inch for the right to proudly lift the Webb Ellis trophy. Back your team and play your part in the biggest sporting event of 2011!

Game: Rugby World Cup 2011Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 1 - View All
Rugby World Cup 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ps3veron @ 08/02/11 07:08 AM
Ok people its up on the 360!

Please post some impressions!

# 2 jyoung @ 08/02/11 01:34 PM
After a couple of matches with the demo, I think it's pretty clear that Rugby Challenge is going to own this game.

Rugby World Cup just isn't in the same league.

To be fair, though, it doesn't help that the demo's stuck on easy difficulty and the only camera mode is the lame broadcast view.

# 3 tjung0831 @ 08/02/11 06:02 PM
Finally was able to download the demo and play a couple of games. Demo is limited and it's set to one camera angle(sideways) and one skill level(rookie). Graphics seem to be a little off and framerate might be off a bit but the game was still very fun.....definitely action packed. I know a lot of people are complaining but the last Rugby game I played was Rugby 06 and this is definitely an upgrade from that so I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'd much prefer the Rugby Challenge game over this but I'll take whatever I can get. I'm going to import at least one of them if need be.
I highly recommend downloading the demo and checking it out. PS3 demo is tomorrow.

Tim

# 4 bad_philanthropy @ 08/02/11 08:59 PM
Demo is pretty mediocre. Gameplay is similar to '06 and '08, but I can't get a real feel for the game with it being on easy and being so short. Looks like the visuals aren't quite up to Rugby Challenge's standard, but it's still and upgrade over last gen.

# 5 tjung0831 @ 08/03/11 12:23 PM
Received this email from 505 games today.....

Hi Tim,

Rugby World Cup will be available in North America on September 6th on Xbox 360 (exclusively at GameStop), or as a download from PlayStation Network.
Thanks for your interest,
505 Games Support

Tim

# 6 ps3veron @ 08/03/11 02:00 PM
Wooho! Thanks tjung for that confirmation! Gonna definitely buy that on the PSN!

Ok as for my impressions on the PS3 demo:

Feels like an HD version of Rugby 08. Now since I loved that, it's not a bad thing. However, I did expect a bit more of an upgrade. Seriously same animations?! The Rugby football physics are spot on on the plus side and the commentary sounded fantastic.

Since I am a huge Rugby fan, this is abut for me but I will also keep my eye on RC.

# 7 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/03/11 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Demo is pretty mediocre. Gameplay is similar to '06 and '08, but I can't get a real feel for the game with it being on easy and being so short. Looks like the visuals aren't quite up to Rugby Challenge's standard, but it's still and upgrade over last gen.
I agree, its really hard to guage how the full game will play but i had fun for a couple halves till i got the controls down and started killing the cpu.

# 8 tjung0831 @ 08/03/11 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Wooho! Thanks tjung for that confirmation! Gonna definitely buy that on the PSN!

Ok as for my impressions on the PS3 demo:

Feels like an HD version of Rugby 08. Now since I loved that, it's not a bad thing. However, I did expect a bit more of an upgrade. Seriously same animations?! The Rugby football physics are spot on on the plus side and the commentary sounded fantastic.

Since I am a huge Rugby fan, this is abut for me but I will also keep my eye on RC.
I haven't played a rugby since the 2006 version on Xbox and that was possibly my all time favorite sports game. This definitely feels similar but it's a definite upgrade so I'm very happy that this is going to be released for us here in the states. We've had to wait to long for another rugby game...I'm pretty pumped. If we can just get some good news on Rugby Challenge having a North American release then it will be even better.

Tim

# 9 Stormyhog @ 08/03/11 06:19 PM
I enjoyed the demo even though it's on the easy difficulty. I own Rugby 08 so I felt pretty comfortable as the controls are basically the same. Had to get used to the camera as I usually don't play with that one but I got used to it pretty quick. Looking forward to the final product.

# 10 Jonesy @ 08/05/11 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
This. Pretty ordinary considering it has been 3 years and there are still a lot of recycled animations etc.

I'd probably buy it used if it was the only rugby game being released but seeing as there is alternative I won't be getting this i don't think. Just another cash grab imo with little replay value outside of playing against friends...

# 11 Boltman @ 08/06/11 02:08 PM
I downloaded and played it. It beats playing 06 on my 360 slim.

I'll but it when it comes out but I will get challenge as well.

Controls exactly like 06.

Better than nothing at all is what I'll say.

# 12 Boltman @ 08/08/11 11:08 AM
Someone posted this over at TRF and I tend to agree after playing the demo a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattraven
Immensely dissapointed about the rugby world cup 2011 game.

Not only does it have no longevity, and is without the 1 and 2 ranked teams in the world, but the actual gameplay is looking, frankly, shockingly horrible. the game engine and mechanisms seem to be exactly the same as rugby 08, which was a extremely frustrating game in 2007 let alone in 2011 on the ps3. the alignments of players on the pitch is the same, the graphics are still ridiculous, the tackling and stupid offload system remain unchanged.

The rucking mechanism on the demo, and therefore logically the proper game, is ineffective. scrums and mauls remain the same, without the players stats having a vague impact. from what i can tell on the demo players who are very quick and/or strong are still several times more effective than players who have a good passing and handling ability, which is extremely unrealistic (again).

It seems to me deeply unfair to expect people to put money into buying rugby wc 2011 when rugby challenge, which looks to be a far better game from trailers and gameplay videos , is also available. rugby challenge involves 98 club teams, as well is international teams, and what appears to be a game engine and playing quality which is actually up to date compared to the rest of the world.

So PLEASE PLEASE check out these trailers before buying rugby world cup 2011

Rugby Challenge trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRPad...layer_embedded

Rugby Challenge gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...T2_UWCno#at=48

Rugby World Cup 2011 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiuF8d-KjSk

# 13 Jonesy @ 08/08/11 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
Someone posted this over at TRF and I tend to agree after playing the demo a ton.
Totally agree with those impressions. This game is looking like a very disappointing cash grab with very little re-playability imo....

# 14 Boltman @ 08/09/11 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Totally agree with those impressions. This game is looking like a very disappointing cash grab with very little re-playability imo....
Yea, I'm leaning very hard towards Rugby Challenge but since they are not releasing a demo I will still have to buy both. I'm really hoping the gameplay is well implemented in Rugby Challenge.

I have watched the videos but that doesn't translate to actually playing and controlling it myself.

We will see, but I remain optimistic.

# 15 Jonesy @ 08/09/11 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman
Yea, I'm leaning very hard towards Rugby Challenge but since they are not releasing a demo I will still have to buy both. I'm really hoping the gameplay is well implemented in Rugby Challenge.

I have watched the videos but that doesn't translate to actually playing and controlling it myself.

We will see, but I remain optimistic.
Yeah it really is a shame we can't get a demo to compare for ourselves but the added teams and game modes etc in rugby challenge makes it a no brainer for me. As an Aussie not having the Wallabies is a big deal and there are only so many WC's i can play whereas the franchise type modes in RC are right up my alley.

At least we have a choice for the first time ever for Rugby games.

# 16 Boltman @ 08/09/11 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Yeah it really is a shame we can't get a demo to compare for ourselves but the added teams and game modes etc in rugby challenge makes it a no brainer for me. As an Aussie not having the Wallabies is a big deal and there are only so many WC's i can play whereas the franchise type modes in RC are right up my alley.

At least we have a choice for the first time ever for Rugby games.
This is the most important thing for sure.

# 17 ODogg @ 08/10/11 01:22 AM
Hey fellas, I don't know a whole lot about rugby, heck sometimes I don't even know what's going on in the game but I DO know I had an absolute blast with EAs Rugby game back on the PS2. This demo seems fun but I HATE this camera angle and the graphics aren't that great.

What's this Rugby Challenge and why is there no demo for it? Will it have an up-the-field camera angle? The graphics look WAY better than this game.

# 18 ODogg @ 08/10/11 01:27 AM
Oh and one last question, why can't I find rugby challenge on amazon or gamestop to order, is it an Xbox live marketplace download?

# 19 Jonesy @ 08/10/11 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Oh and one last question, why can't I find rugby challenge on amazon or gamestop to order, is it an Xbox live marketplace download?
Have to check the rugby challenge thread Seane. They are still sorting US and Canadian distribution for the other game but it looks like they will be coming your way. It's region free so you will be able to import it if you really want it and it doesn't get released in the US.

# 20 JPMB @ 08/22/11 10:50 AM
Hi guys, I am in Mexico, meaning XBOX LIVE US STORE and I canīt find the demo, i īve been searching for it for a week every day and It is not in the demo options. Please help.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.