Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
Rebounding was long a thing that, once a player was in his rebounding animation, that ball was secure. Upgrades to the collision system means the ball is in play unless the guy really rips it down or is a totally superior rebounder. I saw it in a huge way when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, the 6-1 guard on the 1994 Denver Nuggets, followed his miss and even beat Hakeem Olajuwon to the ball. In the past, the encounter would stop there. Here, because of The Dream's size and rebounding ability, he knocked it free and gathered it up. Second chances like these can favor the novice and keep runs from getting out of hand.

The second is a new post-up control, which does away with last year's unwieldy, dual-trigger command to get a big man to back down his defender. Now it's on triangle/Y, and one touch gets his back to the basket, or gets him to face up. In addition to making half-court basketball less complicated, it also frees up the triggers, as modifiers, for those who are comfortable exploring a new range of post moves, counter-moves, and counters to those counters. It also means players like Al Jefferson, who post up their man, then quickly face up and drive, are represented more accurately and are more useful to your offense.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 supermati @ 08/24/11 09:34 PM
Loving this preview, lots of good bits of info.

# 2 SageInfinite @ 08/24/11 09:42 PM
Damn, good read

# 3 ffaacc03 @ 08/24/11 09:42 PM
Yeah, with every new article there is something new ... thanks !

# 4 youvalss @ 08/24/11 09:46 PM
If I combine all these previews, I get an Insight...sort of.

# 5 clipperfan811 @ 08/24/11 09:47 PM
There are a ton of things in that preview that sound fantastic and at this point I'll take the words at face value but I wonder why there's been so much coverage on the game by written by someone who admittedly doesn't follow the series or basketball all that much.

A lot of good stuff being said as far as play control; I wonder if they'll give us a chance to do a bit of coaching in between quarters instead of having to pause to make subs or adjustments. It would definitely help keep game immersion dialed in.

# 6 stillfeelme @ 08/24/11 09:50 PM
Now that is a preview! That preview alone could probably get a person that doesn't even like basketball to buy two copies of 2K12 on October 4th.

# 7 coolcras7 @ 08/24/11 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
There are a ton of things in that preview that sound fantastic and at this point I'll take the words at face value but I wonder why there's been so much coverage on the game by written by someone who admittedly doesn't follow the series or basketball all that much.

A lot of good stuff being said as far as play control; I wonder if they'll give us a chance to do a bit of coaching in between quarters instead of having to pause to make subs or adjustments. It would definitely help keep game immersion dialed in.
Because that is how you get new business, if you can convince people that this is a game that anyone and everyone can enjoy no matter your age you taping into a whole new market, the legends thing will surely get the attention of people who have never played a basketball video game but loved basketball back in the 80's and 90's and want to ability to relive those moments virtually but felt the learning curve would be just too much.

# 8 VDusen04 @ 08/24/11 10:07 PM
I have been really impressed with Kotaku. I never visit that website, but they're churning out some quality articles and information on 2K12 this year.

Also, I'm getting terribly lucky in terms of what was added versus what I suggested in the 2K Wishlist thread. It's getting a little scary. The classic teams infusion was moderately predictable, but I never saw 2K actually implementing the buzzer beater review and the inbounds play draw up and inbound designation so soon. I am impressed.

Quote:
Similarly, it'd be nice to draw up a play during time-outs that'd be initiated the moment the ball was inbounded. Sometimes, the precious seconds it takes to call out your desired play in late game situations is too costly. It'd be nice if it could be pre-determined in a huddle (a la real life) then executed.
Quote:
Dreamtime: The ability for players to dive into the crowd or knock over chairs (or at least plow over teammates or opponents) on the bench.
Quote:
3A. Instant replays of potential game-winners for commentator analysis as well as. . .

3B. Referee review on final shots to decide whether or not they beat the clock.
Quote:
8. More classic teams/classic courts
I feel like I was the big winner on Bingo Night.

# 9 domidomdomz @ 08/24/11 10:16 PM
Quote:
Another innovation: You may run set plays off an inbounds from a timeout. In the timeout, which many button-through and accept whatever CPU substitutions are made, you can bring up a menu designating your inbounds passer, your shooter, and the type of shot you want. Coming out of the break, your stick control will be on the shooter. It's a very clean way of handling what we all see in crunch time, the coach with a white board, drawing up something to get a vital bucket.
Now this one is hot!!!

# 10 23 @ 08/24/11 10:34 PM
Keep cranking them out 2k... I can take it

# 11 Dwadefan @ 08/24/11 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Now this one is hot!!!
They had inbound passing plays before

# 12 Da-Man @ 08/24/11 10:38 PM
meh sounds too good to be true

# 13 VDusen04 @ 08/24/11 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwadefan
They had inbound passing plays before
It may sound like a small detail, but the ability to take the time during a time-out to decide exactly what play you want to run for which player while designating an inbounds passer is actually kind of a big deal.

In my experience with the old inbounds play mechanic, my star would be inbounding the ball 40% of the time and I'd have to repeatedly tap the D-pad so I could select my play as quick as possible. Having no real time to decide on an adequate play, I'd often select one at random and then just break out of it once I realized it wasn't going to run its course before five seconds expired.

The ability to plan something out beforehand for the player I specifically want handling the ball is a great addition. I wonder if the play being drawn up can only be an inbounds play, or if we can draw up the next "set" to be run the minute the ball is inbounded. Either way, I approve.

# 14 sportjames23 @ 08/24/11 10:59 PM
Somebody tell me why the hell it isn't Oct. 4th yet!

# 15 neptuneniq @ 08/24/11 11:04 PM
shot review is dope

no word on game winner celebrations yet?

# 16 BRxSKINSx @ 08/24/11 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportjames23
Somebody tell me why the hell it isn't Oct. 4th yet!
I know....it seems like it can't get here fast enough.....

# 17 williskb24 @ 08/25/11 01:27 AM
Wait the Kings don’t get a rival squad? I would assume that means the Lakers are featured too?''01-02''

# 18 KB2009Champ @ 08/25/11 01:30 AM
Quote:
It also means players like Al Jefferson, who post up their man, then quickly face up and drive, are represented more accurately and are more useful to your offense.
Music to my ears.

# 19 neptuneniq @ 08/25/11 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williskb24
Wait the Kings don’t get a rival squad? I would assume that means the Lakers are featured too?''01-02''
nah man kings and warriors are jus DLC, u also unlock extra teams when u beat the matchups

greatest mode is not about rivals...but about showcasing 2 teams from that season, with 1 star highlights in the matchup
lakers 01-02 are not in the game

# 20 TheBadazz @ 08/25/11 02:05 AM
If Dirk Nowitzki is on the floor, "Best Play" will probably be Dirk, every time. It can get players into some hot streaks; as a crutch, you might fatigue them or become too predictable.

I like this. I wonder how it's going to work for the Thunder? Westbrook ignores Durant is the "Best Play". LOL.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.