Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

The FIFA 12 title update is available now, please post your impressions here. Below are some of the FIFA 12 title update details.
  • Goalkeeper control in online matches: We asked for your feedback and we got lots of it. After reviewing that and our own telemetry, we decided that enough people were abusing this feature online to negatively affect the experience of the majority. So we have decided to remove the ability to press Back/Select and play as the goalkeeper, allowing the CPU to defend, in all online matches. The function remains available in offline matches.
  • Fixed a situation that would see the user in an empty FUT Store without button functionality.
  • Fixed a FUT crash when using custom tactics.
  • Fixed a hard lock that would occur when applying a Manager Contract after purchasing a Bronze Premium Pack in FUT.
  • Fixed a situation that would see some users being disconnected from FUT after five seconds of connectivity.
  • We have optimized the FUT server to speed up transactions.
  • Fixed a situation where the game would hang when downloading a Game Face.
  • Fixed a situation that would allow an online team to be controlled by other player.

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 laijka @ 10/18/11 09:15 AM
So.. online only and nothing for offline.

Hmm, we need to get vocal and bitch more me thinks :P

# 2 Qb @ 10/18/11 09:22 AM
Here is the full post from the EA Forums:

Quote:
As you know, the teams at the studio have been working hard to address issues raised by the community since the launch of FIFA 12. A number of updates have already been rolled out to servers, and that will continue –as will work on a range of things not included in this particular update -but we can now bring you details of a new client-side game update for PS3 and Xbox 360.

First of all, thank you for your patience while we have worked on this, and thanks again to all those who have helped us out as we investigated the roots of some of the problems.

When will it arrive?

The patch is now live on PS3 in the EU and North America. The update will become available on Xbox 360 between 11am and 2pm GMT today (18 October).

What’s in the update?

• Goalkeeper control in online matches: We asked for your feedback and we got lots of it. After reviewing that and our own telemetry, we decided that enough people were abusing this feature online to negatively affect the experience of the majority. So we have decided to remove the ability to press Back/Select and play as the goalkeeper, allowing the CPU to defend, in all online matches. The function remains available in offline matches.
  • Fixed a situation that would see the user in an empty FUT Store without button functionality.
  • Fixed a FUT crash when using custom tactics.
  • Fixed a hard lock that would occur when applying a Manager Contract after purchasing a Bronze Premium Pack in FUT.
  • Fixed a situation that would see some users being disconnected from FUT after five seconds of connectivity.
  • We have optimized the FUT server to speed up transactions.
  • Fixed a situation where the game would hang when downloading a Game Face.
  • Fixed a situation that would allow an online team to be controlled by other player.

Once again thank you for your continued patience while waiting for this patch and for the ones we will be releasing in the future. While we know this patch may not contain everything you wish to be addressed, it is a good start. And with your continued support we will be addressing more issues as soon as we can.

The GK control issue was huge over at the EA forums, with most wanting it removed. The others are mostly stability fixes, which is rather standard for a first update. I take some solace in the last paragraph. Although the stuff we want to see addressed doesn't get as much attention on their forums, at least from what I can see in my limited time there.

# 3 Qb @ 10/18/11 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laijka
So.. online only and nothing for offline.

Hmm, we need to get vocal and bitch more me thinks :P
Yeah, in reading the EA forums a little, that crowd is very much focused on exploits/cheesing/disconnects/etc... all very online related. I obviously don't have encyclopedic knowledge of their boards, but I don't recall seeing any huge threads on fouls/ref logic. Doesn't mean the discussion isn't there, but I haven't seen it in the first few pages any time I visited.

# 4 J-Unit40 @ 10/18/11 09:41 AM
No update to fouls in this patch? Bummer.

Maybe (hopefully) in the next patch.

# 5 laijka @ 10/18/11 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yeah, in reading the EA forums a little, that crowd is very much focused on exploits/cheesing/disconnects/etc... all very online related. I obviously don't have encyclopedic knowledge of their boards, but I don't recall seeing any huge threads on fouls/ref logic. Doesn't mean the discussion isn't there, but I haven't seen it in the first few pages any time I visited.
Yea, they tend to drown in the quadrillion threads made by kids about how this game sucks, how much EA sucks and the countless threads about dc.

(Also just want to say before someone gets in to a fit about it, that I in no way(by this post or my earlier) mean to say that all online players are whiny children or that online issues aren't important)

# 6 Krebstar @ 10/18/11 11:43 AM
I still have a good feeling that EA will at some point address the referee logic, as they've said they realize it needs to be tweaked. As Qb said, this stuff is fairly standard for a first patch and usually we get a November patch and they don't even tell us what if fixes. They at least never give us a list.

So, this is a huge and welcome change this year.

# 7 therizing02 @ 10/18/11 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Those threads, if any are buried in the countless number of threads about cheesers, rankings, and "tactical defending sucks". They must have the worst mods in forum history.

As I've mentioned probably several hundred times over the last 4 years, thus game has been and always will be catered towards the online casual player. Those are the first priorities. The offline experience in this game isn't going to change until someone of signifigance has the b*** to blast this annually overrated game in a review/preview/score. That's the only thing that will get their attention because this game will always sell. It's the most popular sport on the planet, you have the EA marketing budget, licenses, and pretty graphics=$$$$.

# 8 laijka @ 10/18/11 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Those threads, if any are buried in the countless number of threads about cheesers, rankings, and "tactical defending sucks". They must have the worst mods in forum history.
You should see the NHL forum. And I can only imagine what state the NCAA board was/is in.

Sadly you are correct in that offline isn't the priority any more :/

# 9 Qb @ 10/18/11 01:52 PM
I agree, peigone, with sliders I'm enjoying offline FIFA for the first time in a long time. Too bad they didn't include some sort of foul sensitivity slider.

I think the foul logic is far too black & white... if the ball is touched, no foul, regardless of how much or what type of body contact occurs. I had a cpu defender lunge into my players legs from behind, which resulted in an ugly (in a good way) collision. No foul was called, so I watched the replay as slowly as possible. He clipped the ball ever so slightly as he took my legs out.

I understand contact after winning the ball is legal, but you can't go through the player to win the ball. I'm sure it's a difficult thing to reproduce in code, but with the impact engine being able to calculate all those individual points of contact -- as they proudly touted over the summer -- surely it can be deeper than any contact with ball equals no foul.

# 10 laijka @ 10/18/11 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I agree, peigone, with sliders I'm enjoying offline FIFA for the first time in a long time. Too bad they didn't include some sort of foul sensitivity slider.

I think the foul logic is far too black & white... if the ball is touched, no foul, regardless of how much or what type of body contact occurs. I had a cpu defender lunge into my players legs from behind, which resulted in an ugly (in a good way) collision. No foul was called, so I watched the replay as slowly as possible. He clipped the ball ever so slightly as he took my legs out.

I understand contact after winning the ball is legal, but you can't go through the player to win the ball. I'm sure it's a difficult thing to reproduce in code, but with the impact engine being able to calculate all those individual points of contact -- as they proudly touted over the summer -- surely it can be deeper than any contact with ball equals no foul.
This. While I also agree that sliders are a huge improvement and addition to the game, the fact that the first patch is solely aimed at online issues almost feels insulting. Especially as we have the above foul logic, the vanishing prospects (unless you use the workaround) and the somewhat dodgy tradelogic staring in our faces.

# 11 therizing02 @ 10/18/11 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Can you say "sliders"? They change the offline game significantly. Best FIFA experience I've ever had, all a result of the devs adding sliders this year (plus I'm using Fidel's incredible gameplay mod).
Sounds like you're playing the PC version. I can't comment on game play mods for FIFA 12 PC, but I I am a legacy PC player and the mods were incredible for FIFA 05-07. They were so good that comparing PC game play to that of consoles was like comparing apples and oranges. There was none. I just don't feel like dealing with those things anymore.

From a game play perspective FIFA 12 is the best to date. The sliders do help, but the point of my post is that the online/tournament player/FUT will always get first priority when it comes to fixing issues.

# 12 BrianFifaFan @ 10/18/11 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
Can you say "sliders"? They change the offline game significantly. Best FIFA experience I've ever had, all a result of the devs adding sliders this year (plus I'm using Fidel's incredible gameplay mod).
I'm downloaded Fidel's mod. I'm not sure if it's running, as I never ran the actual program in my folder. I did get a Origin update when I turned it on today. (I've been on a major NBA2k binge...) All that said, I just played the best game of Fifa I've ever played. Whether it was that the Fidel mod ran by itself or that the update changed something, it was awesome. But I'm thinking Fifa did some secret tweaking. I noticed the ball physics are even better, more free. I don't know what fixed what, mod or patch, but I've found the perfect Fifa experience. Gonna have to tape some proof!

# 13 Flightwhite24 @ 10/18/11 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I'm downloaded Fidel's mod. I'm not sure if it's running, as I never ran the actual program in my folder. I did get a Origin update when I turned it on today. (I've been on a major NBA2k binge...) All that said, I just played the best game of Fifa I've ever played. Whether it was that the Fidel mod ran by itself or that the update changed something, it was awesome. But I'm thinking Fifa did some secret tweaking. I noticed the ball physics are even better, more free. I don't know what fixed what, mod or patch, but I've found the perfect Fifa experience. Gonna have to tape some proof!
I'm in agreeance with you Brian, it feels like something changed. I won 2 games tonight for the 1st time and I was able to move the ball around more than usual. Still learning the game but I can tell when something changes, I doubt EA will admit it but something is different in a good way

# 14 eagletal88 @ 10/18/11 10:23 PM
Fidel's mod is amazing. I highly recommend people to buy the PC version of Fifa 12 if you want the best offline experience. Just a heads up, Fidel is planning to release his 2.0 EVO GP mod... can't wait!

# 15 NaturalSelected @ 10/18/11 10:42 PM
It's interesting, the update is great but it tweaks some things that you don't really notice now. For example, I played against the GK thing a bunch of times, nowhere to be found tonight. Also, lag and disconnects were non-existent, but I'll need a week to make sure those are mostly eradicated.

I agree with the last paragraph, it's a good start.

# 16 Tovarich @ 10/19/11 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laijka
You should see the NHL forum. And I can only imagine what state the NCAA board was/is in.

Sadly you are correct in that offline isn't the priority any more :/
For many many many years, the NCAA forum had zero modding of any kind. Then they over-modded for a couple years, now it's a mess again. That place is unusable for months in either direction of the NCAA release.

I think that's why it was always impossible to get anything through to devs. They never wanted any part of it.

As for FIFA, I am still having fun with FIFA 10. I guess I'll wait for a gameplay related patch before I bother to give serious thought to buying this one.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.