Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Quote:
The greatest players aren't limited to simple pick up and play as there are two modes focused on ending the debate. The first is the Teammate Challenge where 15 of the best NBA teammate combos ever to grace the NBA face off against each other. You'll have pairings like Alonzo Morning and Larry Johnson of the Hornets; Shaq and Penny from the Magic; and even Pippen and Jordan. You pick the pairing that you like and then face off against the 14 others to claim the title of best duo.

For those who may want to see which era had the best players, the Era Challenge mode provides the answer. Here, teams of three consist of the best players from a given decade. If you're a fan of the '80s, then your team of Isiah Thomas, Patrick Ewing, and Larry Bird will face off against other teams. Here, there are 10 teams to choose from, with two from each decade up to the present.
Quote:
While those modes add a lot to the new experience, my favorite new mode is easily HORSE, where the classic playground trickshot challenge is brought to life with all these classic players. The menu of moves you can pull off is deep, and includes pedestrian stuff like behind the back and no look shots all the way up to kicking shots in or bouncing them off the ground into the hoop. You can even call banks or swishes for added difficulty, and a little exploring will unlock special areas to make shots from like the rooftops of nearby buildings. It's addictive fun, and not as easy as you might assume.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Sundown @ 11/17/11 07:49 PM
The cell shading can be turned off? Slighty more interested (for the online legends and other features). They really should have marketed it as an additional feature rather than try to pass off blacktop as a new game by hiding it behind cel shaded paint.

What's funny is 2k advertises the DLC as featuring the things no one really wants, when the best parts of the DLC are understated. Maybe they can't draw too much attention to those features as it makes it obvious they were held back to add value to a DLC. Ironically they are now understating it's value.

# 42 knoccoutderek @ 11/17/11 07:54 PM
so we can use the new DLC 45 new classic players on other modes???????

# 43 sportjames23 @ 11/17/11 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Ronnie mentioned on twitter yesterday that the option to turn cell shade on/off will be available.
YES! Thank you.

Now, if we can get confirmation that we can use these Legends in the game (meaning non-Association or Franchise).

# 44 ManiacMatt1782 @ 11/17/11 07:58 PM
If this put the legends as an option in private online association, I and friends of mine would be all over it, sadly this peaks no interest to me whatsoever

# 45 sportjames23 @ 11/17/11 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteboSSK
Who actually takes time out to play with the legends on a regular basis anyway?
Um, if you pay attention to this forum (hell, even in this thread), you see that a LOT of us do.

# 46 ZB9 @ 11/17/11 08:50 PM
if it ever comes out ill buy it

the legends showcase looks cool, and im especially interested in the ability to use classic teams in online quick matches (which they said will be available with this pack)

# 47 cedwebb @ 11/17/11 10:38 PM
I am for one looking forward to this dlc. I love what 2k has done with its incorporation of the legends and classic teams. Its too bad that some people don't care about the classics and legends as the NBA has never been as good as it was back in the late 70's and 80's. Thank God some of you who feel this way do not make this game!

Have played this game with some friends and all we do is play with classic teams and create great match-ups. I could only hope that other sports titles would follow suite and market the classic teams and players as well as this game.

# 48 Classic88 @ 11/17/11 11:38 PM
If we are indeed given the option to turn the cell shading off, and we can bring in the new 45 legends into the retail game, then I'm all for it. Otherwise its not worth the dough

# 49 eko718 @ 11/18/11 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Ronnie mentioned on twitter yesterday that the option to turn cell shade on/off will be available.
Well, this changes things a bit.

# 50 SteboSSK @ 11/18/11 07:48 PM
The fact that Classic teams are this boards main focus only further exacerbates the issue that we are going to continue to get fed gimmicks. Classic players have been in games since ps1. This is something that shouldnt even be a focal point of a new bball game. These teams should already be there. 2k needs to focus on the Association mode, gameplay and before that its online issues not some gimmick mode that was taken out and rehashed with cel shaded graphics. They are really heading down the EA path...

# 51 VDusen04 @ 11/18/11 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteboSSK
The fact that Classic teams are this boards main focus only further exacerbates the issue that we are going to continue to get fed gimmicks. Classic players have been in games since ps1. This is something that shouldnt even be a focal point of a new bball game. These teams should already be there. 2k needs to focus on the Association mode, gameplay and before that its online issues not some gimmick mode that was taken out and rehashed with cel shaded graphics. They are really heading down the EA path...
Not to go down this path, but I see nothing gimmicky about legends. I've said this a lot before, but the manner with which classic players were included on previous iterations of basketball games is nowhere near within the realm by which they're included in 2K12.

Imagine having no NBA teams in NBA 2K12 and instead just having an All-2010's East and an All-2010's West team. Obviously, they'd all have generic jerseys and be playing in a bland arena. [i]That's[i] how legends have been included in video games in the past. So yes, they've been in the game, but essentially in a useless regard for those who have any interest in playing a game that resembles real life.

In contrast, I find the DLC concept (not the players) to be quite gimmicky. I've kind of just assumed this may be 2K's back alley way of supporting the usage rights fees for these included retro players. I don't think classic squads are this board's main focus either. I think a lot of folks just recognize the draw. Just because a player is retired, it doesn't mean he suddenly has no worth to the game of basketball or the people who watch it. Having the full classic teams, court art, and accurate retro jerseys is the antithesis of gimmick to me. It's authenticity.

# 52 Spanky @ 11/18/11 10:55 PM
Question: I have zero interest in this mode itself. But I'd like to incorporate these legends with the players already in the game (current and past teams). Better just to download the roster of legends for free when someone puts them on 2k share rather than pay $10 for the nonsense mode?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.