Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 roadman @ 04/18/12 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Good post as most of yours are RG, I will definitely be hollering at you when Madden gets into full swing. I definitely try to give credit when credit is due, they've just made it so much harder this gen. I think another one of the problems is they think a lot of the stuff they do is "cool" until people tell em like hey, that's not what we want, we want realism. Which is why I'm glad EA is interacting more, because sometimes they honestly really just don't get it.
Let's hope this changes with Cam Weber in charge. Not to take anything away from past leadership, but based on the changes to game play(need to see if they still work), I think and feel it's a step in the right direction.

I've already said earlier in this thread, I don't see animations or physics being worked on till new consoles come out, but I've been wrong before.

# 122 poster @ 04/18/12 12:57 PM
Quote:
One more thing I'd like to add, might get a little hate for this, but idk, seems like EA has a little bit of tunnel vision when developing these games every year. Seems like they focus on a certain aspect and that's it. More info could come out, but it just seems to me like if I were working on the passing game I'd work on every aspect. Penalties, OL/DL, QB styles, WR DB interaction, as well as what they did, then it would be a little but more understandable if the running game wasn't touched on. Just seems to me they choose to work on the game in compartments instead of on a whole.

It's just like when they added refs but didn't add the chain gangs. It's like all they see is the one goal they set and don't see anything else. Respect for what they do though, I appreciate the effort they put into getting us information now. The podcasts and interaction is definitely the best thing about this generation coming from EA/Tiburon. Shout out to all those who still get the most out of this game.
I am not a fan of them doing things this way either. EA has always seemed to do things half way, half-baked, etc., seems to have been this way for years. You always end up thinking that they could have done more in a certain area.

I remember last year with Madden and their player introductions. They just showed key players on offense and defense, instead of the whole starting lineup for each unit. After people complained, they said they wanted to do "bite-sized" introductions. It was typical EA Sports in action, not sure how in the world they thought that was "cool" or a welcome feature. Either do it right or don't do it at all. On top of that, it never changed from game to game. The same players every game. It was so poor and frustrating, especially when they claimed they wanted it to be a broadcast presentation.

# 123 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
I am not a fan of them doing things this way either. EA has always seemed to do things half way, half-baked, etc., seems to have been this way for years. You always end up thinking that they could have done more in a certain area.

I remember last year with Madden and their player introductions. They just showed key players on offense and defense, instead of the whole starting lineup for each unit. After people complained, they said they wanted to do "bite-sized" introductions. It was typical EA Sports in action, not sure how in the world they thought that was "cool" or a welcome feature. Either do it right or don't do it at all. On top of that, it never changed from game to game. The same players every game. It was so poor and frustrating, especially when they claimed they wanted it to be a broadcast presentation.
Exactly. Another example of how they think things are fine and should be that way. I just don't get it.

# 124 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's hope this changes with Cam Weber in charge. Not to take anything away from past leadership, but based on the changes to game play(need to see if they still work), I think and feel it's a step in the right direction.

I've already said earlier in this thread, I don't see animations or physics being worked on till new consoles come out, but I've been wrong before.
I definitely see the change, as NCAA 11 and 12 have shown a refocus on realism. May be baby steps, but at least they are steps. I truly pray they come out really swinging for next gen. I don't expect the "end all, be all" to be the first next gen football game, but I pray they foundation is there to build something amazing.

# 125 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Ok maybe the hook line and sinker was a tad childish. But seriously we have this same debate every year. Hell I was on the other side of the fence defending the changes and improvements last year. But the same trend always continues about the game being hyped out of control and then falling far short of what people would like. The same people not wanting to hear about the short comings will be the ones coming here complaining that the game is STILL lack luster and the improvements minor. Mark my words this will happen. You might not agree with my comments now, but you agree more after several months with the game in your hands.

@Ramminyou - It is not just the short clips being the point. It is that the game itself, not football that doesn't change. See the problem is everyone talks about the same issues year in and year out. The core game remains the same and has for years. So the same problems continue to carry over year after year after year.

Where is the large improvements? I understand there is minor improvements, but the game has bigger issues that need tending to. You would think in 5 years they could improve the animations, the blocking, running animations, hell all the animations to begin with, feeling of weight (less zip zag running).....on and on.
OK fare enough

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

# 126 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 01:19 PM
Quote:
I am all for these improvements. Psychic db's was one of the most disgusting things I've seen in football. I'm glad they're gone, but it seems people get offended when you aren't impressed about the improvements EA made. The passing game overhaul was definitely overdue, but things being added like trajectories is just a little idk, it's just funny to me EA thought it was cool to have 2 trajectories. Like they didn't see anything wrong with it for years, lol, and I'm supposed to be excited that they finally realized this? Lol. It's just funny to me.

I will enjoy the game for what it is with my limited time with it, but getting excited now is something I just can't do. I've owned every NCAA game, and I guess the excitement from these improvements is so low for me because the base of the engine(s) was so bad to begin with. Here's to next gen and hoping they decide to go with a more sim based foundation. Props to the devs for all the hardwork, shame on EA/Tiburon for such terrible focus and vision for all these years. Look no further than the back of NCAA 10 for evidence of this.
sound like MLB the show 12,NBA 2k12 very minor undated some like some complain I mean MLB the show has a lot of issues and they market ball physics really....same with 2k basketball a lot of issues and they market classic teams really...its not just NCAA its sports games after 6yrs its only so much there going to do.....and yes those games have problems over looked for years.

# 127 ultralow36 @ 04/18/12 01:25 PM
Quote:
LOL. Thanks my dude. Glad we share the same opinion. It's just funny to me how guys get mad or offended like I bash this game just because they enjoy the game as is. I'm a huge fan of NBA 2k, but I don't react like that when guys don't enjoy it like me.
why do u think people get offended I'm.just having a conversation .....I'm 37 I have played every Madden and NCAA made...the thing is I remember the crap they where and I do not pretend they where some God sent....

# 128 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
sound like MLB the show 12,NBA 2k12 very minor undated some like some complain I mean MLB the show has a lot of issues and they market ball physics really....same with 2k basketball a lot of issues and they market classic teams really...its not just NCAA its sports games after 6yrs its only so much there going to do.....and yes those games have problems over looked for years.

Of course all games have problems, but those games overall represent their sports better than NCAA/Madden. This is clear. Also what's marketed is not all that is worked on in those games. With EA/Tiburon, whatever they market is what you get. 9/10 if it isn't discussed, it hasn't been touched.

# 129 DJ @ 04/18/12 02:09 PM
Quote:
LOL. Thanks my dude. Glad we share the same opinion. It's just funny to me how guys get mad or offended like I bash this game just because they enjoy the game as is. I'm a huge fan of NBA 2k, but I don't react like that when guys don't enjoy it like me.
Yeah, at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't have to agree with it, but I can still take something away from an opposing view, and sometimes, it helps me understand what I'm looking at a little more clearly.

I love NBA 2K and MLB The Show but I don't get bent out of shape when people complain about that game. Not everyone is going to get the same enjoyment out of a game as another.

I think that's what we are seeing with EA Football games. There's a group that will love EA Football games no matter what. They don't break down OL/DL play, things like that, and just play and enjoy the game. I think that's great. I really do.

Unfortunately for me, having literally grown up with Madden and EA Football, it's harder for me to just sit back and play the game in front of me. I just see a game full of potential, but too many of the 'little things' are missing that after 20-plus years, stand out too prominently for me to ignore.

I played quite a bit of Madden 10, as I thought that was a good step in the right direction. Madden 11 seemed to regress and Madden 12 improved on 11, but man, the game just feels so lifeless, it's hard to really devote an extended amount of time to the game. NCAA 11 was a solid game and NCAA 12 pre-patch was really good. We all know what happened after the patches, so no need to go down that road.

Just like Madden, though, NCAA just feels hollow. Stadium Sounds help some, but the lack of a dynamic crowd just kills the NCAA atmosphere, same thing with the decade-old commentary. I'm glad Christian is there at Tiburon; I think he'll help get some of the ideas we've discussed on these boards for years into the game.

Back to my 'little things' point. Some people say that EA Football not having certain penalties like PI, Roughing the Passer, etc. called at all isn't a big deal. To me, that's a huge misstep. It'd be like NBA 2K not having any fouls in its game or MLB The Show not having umpires on the field making (and sometimes legit missing calls just like real umps) calls.

Roadman said a key word: Options. Look at those two games I refereced above. What do they have? OPTIONS. You don't want to play a certain way? That's fine. There's X,Y and Z for you to choose from that should more fit your playing style. EA tries to fit everyone into the same box and it just doesn't work that way anymore. It doesn't help that sliders aren't very responsive, either. A simple 'Arcade', 'Normal' and 'Simulation' option would go a LONG way towards helping these games out.

OK, I could go on and on and I've probably rambled a bit too much, but wanted to make all of my points instead of posting them here and there, where they get lost in translation.

# 130 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yeah, at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't have to agree with it, but I can still take something away from an opposing view, and sometimes, it helps me understand what I'm looking at a little more clearly.

I love NBA 2K and MLB The Show but I don't get bent out of shape when people complain about that game. Not everyone is going to get the same enjoyment out of a game as another.

I think that's what we are seeing with EA Football games. There's a group that will love EA Football games no matter what. They don't break down OL/DL play, things like that, and just play and enjoy the game. I think that's great. I really do.

Unfortunately for me, having literally grown up with Madden and EA Football, it's harder for me to just sit back and play the game in front of me. I just see a game full of potential, but too many of the 'little things' are missing that after 20-plus years, stand out too prominently for me to ignore.

I played quite a bit of Madden 10, as I thought that was a good step in the right direction. Madden 11 seemed to regress and Madden 12 improved on 11, but man, the game just feels so lifeless, it's hard to really devote an extended amount of time to the game. NCAA 11 was a solid game and NCAA 12 pre-patch was really good. We all know what happened after the patches, so no need to go down that road.

Just like Madden, though, NCAA just feels hollow. Stadium Sounds help some, but the lack of a dynamic crowd just kills the NCAA atmosphere, same thing with the decade-old commentary. I'm glad Christian is there at Tiburon; I think he'll help get some of the ideas we've discussed on these boards for years into the game.

Back to my 'little things' point. Some people say that EA Football not having certain penalties like PI, Roughing the Passer, etc. called at all isn't a big deal. To me, that's a huge misstep. It'd be like NBA 2K not having any fouls in its game or MLB The Show not having umpires on the field making (and sometimes legit missing calls just like real umps) calls.

Roadman said a key word: Options. Look at those two games I refereced above. What do they have? OPTIONS. You don't want to play a certain way? That's fine. There's X,Y and Z for you to choose from that should more fit your playing style. EA tries to fit everyone into the same box and it just doesn't work that way anymore. It doesn't help that sliders aren't very responsive, either. A simple 'Arcade', 'Normal' and 'Simulation' option would go a LONG way towards helping these games out.

OK, I could go on and on and I've probably rambled a bit too much, but wanted to make all of my points instead of posting them here and there, where they get lost in translation.
Excellent post. I feel exactly the same way. There are just so many missed opportunities with football this gen. Like I went back and played all of the NCAA games this gen, and I noticed something as small as how players used to get set in one of the older games, it looked alot more natural, like why get ride of that? Small things like that add up for someone like me. My biggest problem with EA this gen is, they do everything they can to remind you that you're just playing a video game. Immersion for me is so limited. That's cool for some people, they'd rather be immersed in competition, which is fine, but I'd rather be immersed in the sport and the broadcast of the sport.

# 131 RGiles36 @ 04/18/12 02:33 PM
Sage, the below is what I'm referring to when I say people are lost in their misery:

Quote:
Where is the large improvements?
I'm not adding the member's name as I have no issue with him -- just the sentiment.

I mean, am I the only one who remembers how EA's football games were beat up for their subpar passing games? Am I the only one who remembers banned-OSer Valdarez creating threads and videos demonstrating how well put together APF's passing game was? Videos highlighting where Madden (and NCAA to a degree) failed? How "tethered" the passes were to the receivers? Am I the only one who remembers people in this forum tricking themselves into believing they had discovered new trajectories by holding the LT button?

If we're to believe what we learned yesterday, none of this should be an issue going forward.

So again, I don't get offended at all, nor should anyone. I just expect people to be fair and consistent, as I try to be. How can people (not speaking of you boss) poo-poo these improvements as if passing wasn't one of the main issues in EA football games?

That's all I'm trying to convey, but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from .

# 132 moylan1234 @ 04/18/12 02:42 PM
I'm extremely skeptical of the so called improvements because to me it appears they made changes just to shut people up about things like super LBs without actually thinking about the effect on the game. For instance one of the first vids they showed was a play where the LB was in perfect position to jump up and swat a pass but didn't for whatever reason. It just feels like they removed that ability all together so they wouldn't have to hear the complaint anymore

# 133 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Sage, the below is what I'm referring to when I say people are lost in their misery:

I'm not adding the member's name as I have no issue with him -- just the sentiment.

I mean, am I the only one who remembers how EA's football games were beat up for their subpar passing games? Am I the only one who remembers banned-OSer Valdarez creating threads and videos demonstrating how well put together APF's passing game was? Videos highlighting where Madden (and NCAA to a degree) failed? How "tethered" the passes were to the receivers? Am I the only one who remembers people in this forum tricking themselves into believing they had discovered new trajectories by holding the LT button?

If we're to believe what we learned yesterday, none of this should be an issue going forward.

So again, I don't get offended at all, nor should anyone. I just expect people to be fair and consistent, as I try to be. How can people (not speaking of you boss) poo-poo these improvements as if passing wasn't one of the main issues in EA football games?

That's all I'm trying to convey, but I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from .
Nah I totally agree, and I'm sure most of the level headed posters here agree with you as well. It's clear in the OS round table article that was just posted on the NCAA gameplay. Everything there was discussed, and discussed fairly. I totally applaud EA for updating the passing game. It was SORELY needed, and had been a complaint for years.

I don't see how the same people who complained about it not being changed, can't praise it now. I can understand not being excited, but to not recognize one of the biggest problems SEEMINGLY corrected, just puzzles me. I also understand the skepticism, but all we can do now is watch, and listen.

# 134 Phobia @ 04/18/12 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

You can clearly say my name. We are all adults here.

On the APF passing game topic. It has and still remains far above what EA has ever done. Granted them "saying" these improvements are in does not mean they are. EA has a long track record of talking a big game yet delivering subpar performance. Will this new passing "lead" system and drop back system bring it to the APF level........Maybe.......Maybe not. From the looks of the videos and webcast I don't see it even remotely close to APF in terms of realism in the pass game.

Now that is my opinion, maybe you see this on the same level as APF.

I think the largest issue EA has that can't be over come is the movement of the players. It does not appear life like in any regard thus the "immersion" is lost off the bat. This is why people talk about how fantastic the static pictures look, because once in motion it turns into a arcade game "look".

So while I agree with you the passing engine step to improve is a good step. Is it enough??? I doubt it. Another words, I won't continue to fund couple new improvements all the way till that magic year they finally surpass the 2k football games in realism. I will wait from here on out till the improvements are enough to warrant purchasing.

# 135 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 02:50 PM
Quote:
Another words, I won't continue to fund couple new improvements all the way till that magic year they finally surpass the 2k football games in realism. I will wait from here on out till the improvements are enough to warrant purchasing.
I hate to be negative, but I highly doubt this ever happens, since it hasn't been attempted yet. Considering 2k has been out of the game for so many years, and EA still has not tried to equal or better their attempts. I mean they literally could've made their football games as realistic or more realistic than 2k in the 07-08 editions of the game. I just don't think EA has it in them. We just have to accept that.

# 136 Phobia @ 04/18/12 02:54 PM
Quote:
I hate to be negative, but I highly doubt this ever happens, since it hasn't been attempted yet. Considering 2k has been out of the game for so many years, and EA still has not tried to equal or better their attempts. I mean they literally could've made their football games as realistic or more realistic than 2k in the 07-08 editions of the game. I just don't think EA has it in them. We just have to accept that.
I don't completely agree Sage. I think EA has to recognize products such as NBA2k and MLB The Show getting such critical praise and consumer praise for its devotion to realism.

I think more to blame was the start of 06 when the new code was written decided our current gen history of how EA football would be this generation. They were stuck trying to improve on old code and add in new code that made the game play better. But the entire product being re-written was not a option so the general gameplay was going to remain largely the same.

I think we very well could see a devotion to realism from them next generation.

# 137 Phobia @ 04/18/12 02:59 PM
I think the biggest thing some people fail to understand such as RG. I want EA to create a fantastic football game. I am not bashing just to bash, there is a reason for the dislike.

I have been a fan of EA football since the first John madden. I remember the glory days and have went through the lowest of the low in this generation. We all have been frustrated and underwhelmed by their efforts.

While some are quicker to give a pass when they finally do something right. I am not one who quickly says "ohhhh yea everything is better". You have to prove to me.

So with that said, the steps in the right direction are noticed by me. I just don't find it enough to warrant a 60 dollar price tag and my purchase. There is way to much work that needs to be done to the entire product before it is AAA quality in my opinion. So I truly hope next generation the design decision from the start is to replicate the game of football and not twist the game of football to make it a "fun" experience.

# 138 SageInfinite @ 04/18/12 03:04 PM
Quote:
I don't completely agree Sage. I think EA has to recognize products such as NBA2k and MLB The Show getting such critical praise and consumer praise for its devotion to realism.

I think more to blame was the start of 06 when the new code was written decided our current gen history of how EA football would be this generation. They were stuck trying to improve on old code and add in new code that made the game play better. But the entire product being re-written was not a option so the general gameplay was going to remain largely the same.

I think we very well could see a devotion to realism from them next generation.
I agree the way they started this gen was totally to blame. Like I said I hope next gen we see a clear focus for realism.

With that being said, idk, call me cynical, but I don't think EA/Tiburon has what it takes to deliver. IMO their football games never showed the type of realism that blurred the lines for me. OL/DL interaction alone makes me think that. They just lack the vision it takes to see the details and apply it to their games, I think they think people really don't care about that stuff. I mean look how long they have catered to button mashers as far as presentation goes. The little things like the way players get set, the way qb's walk up to the line of scrimmage. I mean they had to tell Ian Cummings to add a walking animation for the qb. Stuff like that just gives me low expectations when it comes to EA/Tiburon. I know he's gone and alot of moves have been made, but I still don't see any indication the focus on details and blurring the lines during gameplay is being made.

# 139 Phobia @ 04/18/12 03:15 PM
Quote:
I agree the way they started this gen was totally to blame. Like I said I hope next gen we see a clear focus for realism.

With that being said, idk, call me cynical, but I don't think EA/Tiburon has what it takes to deliver. IMO their football games never showed the type of realism that blurred the lines for me. OL/DL interaction alone makes me think that. They just lack the vision it takes to see the details and apply it to their games, I think they think people really don't care about that stuff. I mean look how long they have catered to button mashers as far as presentation goes. The little things like the way players get set, the way qb's walk up to the line of scrimmage. I mean they had to tell Ian Cummings to add a walking animation for the qb. Stuff like that just gives me low expectations when it comes to EA/Tiburon. I know he's gone and alot of moves have been made, but I still don't see any indication the focus on details and blurring the lines during gameplay is being made.
You could be right. I sure the hell hope not though lol

# 140 TajDeni @ 04/18/12 03:20 PM
in the process of watching the video now for playbook 2 on easports website, and one thing i noticed that imo atleast is unrealistic is the way they are attempting to hide defensive coverages.

while its not unrealistic in the fact that teams can and do hide their coverages, i just think its unrealistic in the way that EA is trying to portray it as if its the every down every team norm.

4ex. the way cover-2 is being expressing against I-Form Twins. In most cases the cb in cover-2 opposite the twins would play and move his alignment tight to the LOS to his side of the field. I think that this would be the norman way majority of teams would run cover-2 against twins.

now thats not to say that there are not teams out there that wouldnt move the cb over to cover the 2nd wr in pro-twins, but id argue that this is not the norm and that the play would prolly have a specific name outside of just being called cover-2. im guessing something along the lines of 'cover-2 cb over.' Now this becomes a specific play for the DC to call where the dbs now understands from the playcall that he is to follow the wr wherever he is aligned.

but it appears to me atleast from watching the vid that EA has set it up as to where the CB would always follow the wr, and in all my yrs of following and studying football ive never know this to be anywhere close to being the normal way cover-2 is expressed by the vast majority of teams.

i also have a problem with the way they have completely taken away motion as an option for the qb to be able to determine coverage. aand i rarely ever use motion myself. again its not that whats being expressed by EA never happens, i just dont believe it to be the norm or no team would ever run motion because it would just be pointless. there'd be no benefit to doing it. but lots of teams still do run motion as a method of determining coverages.

im all for being able to hide coverages and i dont have a problem with the way EA is hiding cover 2 persay, but it should be a specific playcall as thats not the way defenses are normally expressed.

if im wrong, id love to be enlightened..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.