Home
News Post

Who said Press Events were boring? In a shocking announcement just minutes ago, EA Sports has announced a "multi-year, multi-product agreement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship." Dana White was on hand to tout the announcement. This means THQ is no longer developing UFC products. A huge coup for EA.

What do you all think?

Update: Press Release Just Issued By THQ, looks like EA made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Quote:
"
THQ AND ZUFFA ANNOUNCE TRANSFER OF ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP
VIDEOGAME LICENSE AGREEMENT

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. & LAS VEGAS, Nev., June 4, 2012 – THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and Zuffa, LLC, today announced that they have reached an agreement to transfer THQ’s exclusive, worldwide license with Zuffa to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) brand to Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), effective today, in exchange for an undisclosed cash payment to THQ.

“Over the last three years, THQ has delivered best-in-class, all-encompassing experiences to MMA fans, sports enthusiasts and fighting gamers around the globe with its UFC Undisputed series. We want to thank them for their stewardship of our brand," said Lorenzo Fertitta, Chairman and CEO of Zuffa. “We look forward to joining forces with EA to leverage their sports platform, and expand our brand in the video game space.”

Brian Farrell, THQ’s Chairman and CEO, commented, “We have relished our relationship with UFC over the last several years and believe that the UFC gaming brand is in great shape. THQ’s more focused strategy moving forward meant that transferring the license to EA made sense to all parties. We would like to thank UFC for their great support and partnership and wish EA all the best moving forward.”

Member Comments
# 21 steelernut @ 06/04/12 05:23 PM
Finally Dana made a good choice..I understand why he was mad in the first place, with EA not totally taking MMA as a true sport, now that he seen the potential that EA MMA brought, and with the money/ resources that EA brings this game should be groundbreaking. I gaurantee that this game will be a hit, it can't be any worse than what THQ did. Now will actually get to experience the total control engine that EA will bring, and not some generic stiff movement that THQ provided. THQ should have sticked with wrestling for the kids that's what there good at, they where way over there heads when they took on the UFC... Cant wait for this game, now all we need is a date.

# 22 aholbert32 @ 06/04/12 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp3500
Yeah, I thought I recognized the voices but I just didn't believe it. I mean, they had a deal with THQ and Dana hasn't exactly been sweet-talking EA the last couple of years. But then Bones popped up on the screen and I stood up in shock.

And I kinda hope you are right aholbert, that the first title we will see will be for the next generation of consoles.
It only makes sense. We are 2 yrs away from new consoles. It would be dumb of them to convert EA MMA to a UFC game when Undisputed was just released. The market has shown that a UFC every 2 yrs is perfect.

# 23 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/04/12 05:28 PM
This is my shocked face...

# 24 Sergio88 @ 06/04/12 05:33 PM
This is awesome with UFC & Strikeforce fighters all being the in same game.

# 25 truintellectplaya @ 06/04/12 05:36 PM
Really not big news. EA already made a MMA game and it was not as good as what THQ made thus expect more of the same

# 26 Control-X @ 06/04/12 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami01
When the video came on I was like "no way could it be", when i finally realized it was, i jumped out of my chair screaming haha. Absolutely awesome and what a shocker!!!
LOL I wonder what that video looks like. Link please?

# 27 thedudedominick @ 06/04/12 05:47 PM
Definitely good news. I loved EA MMA, but having the UFC license opens the game up to so many other options.

# 28 Phobia @ 06/04/12 05:51 PM
SO SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 29 DJ @ 06/04/12 05:56 PM
Smart move by UFC. Hopefully this leads to a better UFC game. I thought the follow-ups to 2009 (which was an awesome debut) were underwhelming.

# 30 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/04/12 06:15 PM
A year ago I would have thought this would be fantastic news now I'm not so sure, personally I think EA MMA feels much more arcadey than UFC Undisputed 3 although I think this might becuase of how old EA MMA, I loved it at the time. It'll be interesting anyway and I will defintely be looking forward to it.

Anyways, Hopefully it'll be good, at least the fighters will look far more realistic if nothing else.

# 31 branch @ 06/04/12 06:17 PM
Maybe we'll get some good servers to play on now.

# 32 TheShizNo1 @ 06/04/12 06:24 PM
So I'm the only one in this thread that doesn't view this as huge? In terms of marketability, yes of course. But as a game? Look at the struggles of Fight Night. The last two FN's have been bug/glitch breaking failures. Round 3 still over shadows them both. Throw in MMA w/ a whole new complex w/ the ground game/cage interaction/MT clinch, etc. EA MMA gives me some faith, but I stopped playing that when Undisputed 3 came out. I hope this goes as good as everyone says, but I have reasons to not be so sure.

# 33 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/04/12 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
So I'm the only one in this thread that doesn't view this as huge? In terms of marketability, yes of course. But as a game? Look at the struggles of Fight Night. The last two FN's have been bug/glitch breaking failures. Round 3 still over shadows them both. Throw in MMA w/ a whole new complex w/ the ground game/cage interaction/MT clinch, etc. EA MMA gives me some faith, but I stopped playing that when Undisputed 3 came out. I hope this goes as good as everyone says, but I have reasons to not be so sure.
I agree with you mate, I'm optimistic but I don't get why people think it'll be miles better than Undisputed 3 right out of the gate. Although if they can match the gameplay the better graphics and player models will make it a buy for me because it adds to the imersion so much. I'll almost certainly get it anyway I suppose because I've never missed an UFC or Fight Night/EA MMA game.

# 34 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/04/12 06:31 PM
Quote:
Victor Lugo was in charge of the game play for EA MMA and he is also the guy who created the Infinity Engine that gives Madden 13 real time physics.

# 35 JoeMimic @ 06/04/12 06:31 PM
I'm not as jazzed up as most about this but hey at least the online will work now haha.

# 36 TheShizNo1 @ 06/04/12 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Victor Lugo was in charge of the game play for EA MMA and he is also the guy who created the Infinity Engine that gives Madden 13 real time physics.
Feel free to elaborate on this...

# 37 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/04/12 06:35 PM
Meaning since EA now has that engine, I'm pretty sure they will add it to their UFC game.

# 38 videlsports @ 06/04/12 06:36 PM
WOW ea tries to buy out everything.. well I EA I have a new game that will make millions It's called "my Mortgage" interested LOOOL.

# 39 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/04/12 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Meaning since EA now has that engine, I'm pretty sure they will add it to their UFC game.
Fight night has had real time physics, it would add to the game but not that much. For something like Madden adding real time physics greatly improves the gameplay so much more by defualt because it changes so much. However for combat sports it doesn't really have quite the same impact.

# 40 btrapp @ 06/04/12 06:43 PM
Quote:
I agree with this 100%. This news scares the crap out of me and my heart sink when i heard it. Undisputed 3 was light years better that ea mma in terms of depth and control imo. EA mma was fun, but it's gameplay felt arcadish and the fighters lacked individualism and animation variety. I can only hope that they build on what thq has already accomplished with undisputed 3's dozens of submissions, ground positions, cage positions and strikes. Not to mention the fantastic Pride FC incorporation. This great news for the ufc and Ea because both companies will make a lot of money from this deal, but for me, I'm very concerned.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.