Home
News Post

Who said Press Events were boring? In a shocking announcement just minutes ago, EA Sports has announced a "multi-year, multi-product agreement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship." Dana White was on hand to tout the announcement. This means THQ is no longer developing UFC products. A huge coup for EA.

What do you all think?

Update: Press Release Just Issued By THQ, looks like EA made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Quote:
"
THQ AND ZUFFA ANNOUNCE TRANSFER OF ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP
VIDEOGAME LICENSE AGREEMENT

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. & LAS VEGAS, Nev., June 4, 2012 – THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and Zuffa, LLC, today announced that they have reached an agreement to transfer THQ’s exclusive, worldwide license with Zuffa to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) brand to Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA), effective today, in exchange for an undisclosed cash payment to THQ.

“Over the last three years, THQ has delivered best-in-class, all-encompassing experiences to MMA fans, sports enthusiasts and fighting gamers around the globe with its UFC Undisputed series. We want to thank them for their stewardship of our brand," said Lorenzo Fertitta, Chairman and CEO of Zuffa. “We look forward to joining forces with EA to leverage their sports platform, and expand our brand in the video game space.”

Brian Farrell, THQ’s Chairman and CEO, commented, “We have relished our relationship with UFC over the last several years and believe that the UFC gaming brand is in great shape. THQ’s more focused strategy moving forward meant that transferring the license to EA made sense to all parties. We would like to thank UFC for their great support and partnership and wish EA all the best moving forward.”

Member Comments
# 41 TheShizNo1 @ 06/04/12 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Meaning since EA now has that engine, I'm pretty sure they will add it to their UFC game.
Wasn't that the same or similar engine that Backbreaker used? Is that supposed to be comforting? As innovative as BB may have been, that engine had/has issues. Again, I don't think MMA is something you can throw an engine or programmer at and say here you go. Or, we'd have had decent ones to play before this gen.

# 42 MattyEdgeworth @ 06/04/12 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Wasn't that the same or similar engine that Backbreaker used? Is that supposed to be comforting? As innovative as BB may have been, that engine had/has issues. Again, I don't think MMA is something you can throw an engine or programmer at and say here you go. Or, we'd have had decent ones to play before this gen.
No its not, bb had real time physics but was much more arcady. EA's physics engine is fantastic but like I say, you can't just automatically make the game play great by adding physics like you can with Madden.

# 43 aholbert32 @ 06/04/12 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videlsports
WOW ea tries to buy out everything.. well I EA I have a new game that will make millions It's called "my Mortgage" interested LOOOL.
EA didnt buy out anyone. THQ sold the rights to EA.

# 44 aholbert32 @ 06/04/12 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrapp
I agree with this 100%. This news scares the crap out of me and my heart sink when i heard it. Undisputed 3 was light years better that ea mma in terms of depth and control imo. EA mma was fun, but it's gameplay felt arcadish and the fighters lacked individualism and animation variety. I can only hope that they build on what thq has already accomplished with undisputed 3's dozens of submissions, ground positions, cage positions and strikes. Not to mention the fantastic Pride FC incorporation. This great news for the ufc and Ea because both companies will make a lot of money from this deal, but for me, I'm very concerned.
I kind of feel the same way. If EA/UFC isnt better than Undisputed 3, I'll stick with Undisputed until its up to par. I love Offline in Event Mode so the next game has to have a similar setup.

# 45 jeremym480 @ 06/04/12 08:10 PM
I have to admit that I have a little bit of mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I really enjoy THQ's gameplay much better than EA MMA's (although I probably didn't give that game a fair shot). One the other hand, if this means that I won't have to pay $3 or find some sort of glitch to make a decent CAF, then I am happy.

What I am the most excited about though, is the prospect of something like Connected Careers in a UFC game. Simply put, that would be freaking amazing.

# 46 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/04/12 08:30 PM
I am excited. I thought EA MMA wasn't perfect, but had a superb base to build off of. I felt the base was better. adjustments needed to be made in the timing windows, but for the most part the system itself worked.

# 47 truintellectplaya @ 06/04/12 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
So I'm the only one in this thread that doesn't view this as huge? In terms of marketability, yes of course. But as a game? Look at the struggles of Fight Night. The last two FN's have been bug/glitch breaking failures. Round 3 still over shadows them both. Throw in MMA w/ a whole new complex w/ the ground game/cage interaction/MT clinch, etc. EA MMA gives me some faith, but I stopped playing that when Undisputed 3 came out. I hope this goes as good as everyone says, but I have reasons to not be so sure.
No I stated early in the thread that this was not big news and it is actually kind of deflating being that THQ put out a better game than EA.

# 48 Sandman42 @ 06/04/12 10:38 PM
Hope they keep the same sub system from EA MMA, especially for the limb submissions. Miles better than anything THQ had.

# 49 aholbert32 @ 06/04/12 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
Hope they keep the same sub system from EA MMA, especially for the limb submissions. Miles better than anything THQ had.
I completely hate that choke submission system on Ea mma. It was too easy on medium and too hard on the harder levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 50 eye guy @ 06/05/12 12:27 AM
EA has a solid foundation in their MMA title and I hope they continue to build and polish what they have, and not follow the same footpath the Live/Elite team have paved.

In saying that, is this what it will all come down to? One company making Sports related titles? I hope not. We've seen mixed results in EA's delivery in their titles recently, but I hope in this case, future UFC/MMA titles will have the same success Fifa and NHL have.

# 51 TarHeelPhenom @ 06/05/12 03:29 AM
Not really sure how I feel about this. I've been on the EA side forever...but I must admit, they have had a tendency in th epast to get real complacent when they've acquired the exclusive license for sports genre's. I think it was good that there was competition when EA had it's MMA and THQ had UFC. I still think UFC had the best presentation of any sports game I had ever seen. We'll see...

# 52 Vinzanity @ 06/05/12 04:10 AM
So it's a goodbye to THQ already? I hope Dana White made the right decision to switch to EA. I hear more bad reports about EASports games but anyways I'd like them to make future UFC/MMA games that will outshine THQ's Undisputed series but I doubt they can do it. EA has yet to prove me wrong.

# 53 ps3veron @ 06/05/12 04:16 AM
Although UFC 3 was a great game, this is a good move by EA.

Say what you will about EA, they're still good at what they do. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

# 54 Dazraz @ 06/05/12 04:28 AM
THQ haven't really progressed with the UFC game as many expected to do after a solid initial game. Whether EA can we will have to see. I would guess that the Fight Night series will go on an extended hiatus in the wake of this agreement.

# 55 gigadkc @ 06/05/12 05:15 AM
I think this is awesome because imo EA's MMA is slightly better than THQ's UFC series, so I hope the upcoming UFC games will be more like EA's MMA.

# 56 redsrule @ 06/05/12 08:07 AM
Definitely sketchy on the part from Dana after talking crap about them for years. I'm assuming they are going to do this one year, then Fight Night the next year.

# 57 ps3veron @ 06/05/12 08:37 AM
Does this mean THQ could shut down the UFC 3 servers anytime soon?

I mean they have no obligations to anyone now right?

# 58 aholbert32 @ 06/05/12 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
THQ haven't really progressed with the UFC game as many expected to do after a solid initial game. Whether EA can we will have to see. I would guess that the Fight Night series will go on an extended hiatus in the wake of this agreement.
Why would you say that? They will probably just alternate years like they did with EA MMA. I doubt EA will release a UFC game every year.

# 59 aholbert32 @ 06/05/12 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Does this mean THQ could shut down the UFC 3 servers anytime soon?

I mean they have no obligations to anyone now right?
They could but I dont expect them too. That would be a pr disaster if they shut them down in the next few months.

# 60 aholbert32 @ 06/05/12 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Definitely sketchy on the part from Dana after talking crap about them for years. I'm assuming they are going to do this one year, then Fight Night the next year.
Completely agree about it being sketchy but he really had no choice. THQ is a sinking ship and who knows if there wouldve been a Undisputed 4 with the way that business is doing. EA is not only the #1 sports gaming company in the world but also has a mma game engine in place. A deal with another company wouldve required that company to start from square 1.

Also if EA knows how to do one thing its marketing. The first EA/UFC game will be all over the place with ads. This could help further legitimize the UFC.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.