Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

As mentioned yesterday, 2K Sports has officially announced Jay-Z as the as Executive Producer of NBA 2K13. 2K Sports has been promoting this "BIG" announcement for weeks.

In an article, over at ESPN, Jon Robinson describes some of the details he brings to the game.

Quote:
Carter has not only personally selected the game’s 24-song soundtrack, but he’s also been working with 2K designers on the overall look and feel of the game’s presentation.

24 Song Soundtrack includes:
  • The Hours: “All in the Jungle”
  • Too Short: "Blow the Whistle" (Main)
  • Eric B. and Rakim: “I Ain’t No Joke”
  • Phoenix: “1901”
  • Jay-Z: “Pump it Up” (Freestyle)
  • Puff Daddy and the Family: “Victory” (feat. Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
  • Daft Punk: “Around the World" (Radio Edit)
  • Santigold: “Shove It” (feat. Spank Rock)
  • Kanye West: “Amazing”
  • Jay-Z: “Run This Town”
  • The Dirty Projectors: “Stillness in the Move”
  • Nas: “The World is Yours”
  • Coldplay: “Viva La Vida”
  • Roy Ayers: “We Live in Brooklyn, Baby”
  • Justice: “Stress”
  • Jay-Z: “The Bounce”
  • Kanye West: “We Major” (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
  • Mobb Deep: “Shook Ones, Pt. II”
  • Meek Mill: “Ima Boss” (Instrumental)
  • Kanye West: “Mercy” (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz)
  • U2: “Elevation”
  • Jay-Z: “On to the Next One”
  • Jay-Z: “Public Service Announcement”
  • Jay-Z: “H.A.M.” (Instrumental)
If you're interested in listening to some of the tracks, head on over to the official NBA 2K Facebook page.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jfsolo @ 07/31/12 10:08 PM
Yep, when the VP of Marketing cranks up the hype meter about something, we all had to know in our heart of hearts that it wasn't something geared toward OS.

No matter, we know how 2K rolls, they'll start doling out the info on the stuff that matters to us in about 3 or 4 weeks.

# 142 VDusen04 @ 07/31/12 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The entire soundtrack is made up of generic and popular songs. I actually prefer this approach. I dont listen to a game soundtrack to find new songs.
I respect that, but to be real I'm on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Soundtracks made up of generic and popular songs make me want to pull my hair out. Chances are, if I've already heard all the songs on a soundtrack ad nauseam prior to release, I'm probably not going to be too pumped about being inundated with them for the entirety of a game's lifespan (see Blow, Kurtis).

On the flip side, as I've mentioned on this forum before, I've loved 2K's musical history and ability to provide gamers with a bevy of "beneath the surface" artists. I'm being completely sincere when I say this, one of my favorite things about 2K basketball releases was letting the unfamiliar soundtrack grow on me and then finding new artists to listen to and follow as a result. My ears aren't always held to firmly to the ground of the music scene, so learning about Matisyahu, MF Doom, RJD2, Art vs. Science, Little Brother, Zion I, Ratatat, and Miike Snow has been an awesome byproduct over the years of playing 2K games. There always seemed to be at least a few tracks 2K would include each year that'd lead me back down into the musical rabbit hole. I'll miss that.

# 143 jersez @ 07/31/12 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvellousOne
This news is pretty lukewarm to me, the soundtrack announcement is ok I guess I'll more than likely be muting the music after I play the game a few times anyway. Jay-Z being the Executive Producer of 2K....yeah ok I guess. This helps 2K gain more interest with there game, so it's Huge news for them...but I still think the return of M.J. was much bigger news than this personally but it's whatever.
Exactly..... my points exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Ehhhh I don't think he's saying it's not worth an announcement because it is, clearly. However it's not worth the hype tag they put on the front of it and dragging MJ into it with the Facebook picture and what not.

For me personally I say again, I'm disappointed because if Argent didn't say this was the biggest announcement in NBA2K and 2K Sports history, this announcement is met with the respect it deserves. Obviously you'd have that crowd of dudes that bitch at everything that comes out that isn't specifically gameplay related but the overall reception of this is positive without that line.

# 144 JSensui @ 07/31/12 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
because you guys sound ridiculous bitching about not getting some sort of gameplay announcement.
Almost as ridiculous as saying this was the biggest announcement in 2k history, and then revealing it to be a soundtrack?

# 145 Rasco11 @ 07/31/12 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvellousOne
This news is pretty lukewarm to me, the soundtrack announcement is ok I guess I'll more than likely be muting the music after I play the game a few times anyway. Jay-Z being the Executive Producer of 2K....yeah ok I guess. This helps 2K gain more interest with there game, so it's Huge news for them...but I still think the return of M.J. was much bigger news than this personally but it's whatever.
Agree 100% with what you said. I add my own music anyway, so this announcement is far from groundbreaking on the surface! You and others are right...signing MJ was bigger news for 2K. You could probably even argue President Obama being in it as #2.

# 146 NINJAK2 @ 07/31/12 10:12 PM
I was not expecting much and my expectations were met. I've been around too long to get hyped over 2k's announcements. I guess they didn't lie because for 2k, this is BIG news. Having someone with the reach and visibility of Jay Z working alongside you and pimping your product along with THE GOAT (MJ) is really unbelievable from a marketing standpoint. 2k is really deeply engraved in our pop culture to the same levels of Madden imo coming a long way from it's 1st appearance on the Dreamcast.

I don't know what Jay knows about producing hoop games but he aint bad at music. Jury is still out whether it pays off in the product but it will in marketing...

# 147 J_Posse @ 07/31/12 10:16 PM
I'm just disappointed Jay couldn't get any 'Pac or Big Daddy Kane on the soundtrack. And where is the love for Jaz-O at? No Hawaiian Sophie, Jay?

All kidding aside, this is a dope soundtrack and definitely one that will be enjoyed by me.

# 148 rockchisler @ 07/31/12 10:17 PM
Im satisfied, now Lets get some info on the gamplay enhancements..61 days to go..

# 149 Goffs @ 07/31/12 10:22 PM
There's so much mad in this thread lol

I don't know about some of you guys but I'm ready for some vids and the dev info. Just as long they don't mention anything about updating player art this year it should be some good reading material.

# 150 swac07 @ 07/31/12 10:27 PM
haha at all this still tho....

yall have a good night

# 151 J_Posse @ 07/31/12 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs

I don't about some of you guys but I'm ready for some vids and the dev info. Just as long they don't mention anything about updating player art this year it should be some good reading material.

No, that is one point that I actually disagree on. They need to explain that situation from last year, especially when it was a main "back of the box" feature in 2K12. I'd like to see that addressed, recitified and included in 2K13. That way I'm not stuck with a crappy looking CP3 and dread-headed Michael Beasley for 12 months.

Sorry for going off topic..................

# 152 chackett12 @ 07/31/12 10:27 PM
imagine the connections jay-z has... he can do the same thing jordan did for 2k. recruit more people to create a better overall game. Jay-Z & Michael Jordan have power to do things that 2k couldnt do before bringing them on the ship.

# 153 domidomdomz @ 07/31/12 10:27 PM
Glad this "big" announcement got over with. Now, let us have some gameplay stuff. Thanks. Bye.

# 154 bonannogiovanni @ 07/31/12 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Again, I will clarify it's more than simply a soundtrack. We'll be detailing more in the future.
With all due respect sir, what's the point of making an announcement you've been hyping for over a month like the mother of all the 2k sports related news, then disclosing only the surface which means nothing for most of us? Bring us those details right away, and they better be really BIG, otherwise people will lose trust in you 2k.

# 155 Goffs @ 07/31/12 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512
No, that is one point that I actually disagree on. They need to explain that situation from last year, especially when it was a main "back of the box" feature in 2K12. I'd like to see that addressed, recitified and included in 2K13. That way I'm not stuck with a crappy looking CP3 and dread-headed Michael Beasley for 12 months.

Yeah I'm not going to hold my breath for that one...lol

If they were to do it I'd rather them not mention it at all and just let the updates happen and let US see it for ourselves. I have always enjoyed coming into the forums and see a thread saying "Was this player always skinny, I could've sworn he had a different body type"

I want a similar thread like that pop only saying something like "did this guy have tats before" or "hey they added a beard to this player"

It's a nice surprise kind of thing where you're prompted to get off the comp to check it out yourself.

# 156 daytonanerd @ 07/31/12 10:35 PM
I think we will be hearing Gameplay Info sooner then you all think. The 2K Team-Up peeps are going to California soon, and they will surely share with us all of the gameplay info we need to know. 2K may prefer to have marketing release the info themselves so that it will be flashier, so I expect some nuggets of gameplay info within the next week or two.

# 157 HisMommaCallHimClay @ 07/31/12 10:36 PM
Wait a sec. 2k says the biggest announcement in 2k history. Which means bigger than having the greatest player ever represemting the game. How is jay-z selecting a tracklist bigger than that?

Someone please anwser.

Then a mod makes a thread basiclly asking posters to guess the news. Then you blame posters for guessing that the "the biggest announcement in 2k history" would actually be the biggest announcent in 2k history. You guys do know this is a sports game right?

After that how can you not be dissappointed?

2k messed up. Smh at defending that.

# 158 illwill10 @ 07/31/12 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Im satisfied, now Lets get some info on the gamplay enhancements..61 days to go..
Quote:

I don't about some of you guys but I'm ready for some vids and the dev info. Just as long they don't mention anything about updating player art this year it should be some good reading material.
Im expecting the insights to start being released by the week of the 13th of August(with the small chance next week). I like how they dont release the info too early. Mainly because there isnt big gaps between info being released like Madden does.

I am not disappointed because I wasnt expecting something monumental. I wasnt expecting a NFL/College football game because the license isnt up yet. Wasnt expecting CHOOPs because I dont think there is a big market for College BBall. I dont care for Legends/Dream Team or Olympics modes It is too early(in 2k terms)to release any gameplay/mode info.

I am good with it because as the first real info on the game being released it is good. I like that this wasnt just for his name to be on the game/marketing and soundtrack. From reading the ESPN article, Jay Z wants/ed to be involved in the game other than just soundtrack. I didnt know he was a gamer like that.

# 159 Aviator S @ 07/31/12 10:40 PM
Folks I was let down by this big announcement as well but I really think there is SOMETHING MORE to this announcement, if you read between the lines you will notice that Jay-Z will have an big impact to NBA 2K13 whether it be from an marketing aspect or a game play aspect. The cows haven't left the barn yet.

# 160 illwill10 @ 07/31/12 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse512

Quote:
Yeah I'm not going to hold my breath for that one...lol

If they were to do it I'd rather them not mention it at all and just let the updates happen and let US see it for ourselves. I have always enjoyed coming into the forums and see a thread saying "Was this player always skinny, I could've sworn he had a different body type"

I want a similar thread like that pop only saying something like "did this guy have tats before" or "hey they added a beard to this player"

It's a nice surprise kind of thing where you're prompted to get off the comp to check it out yourself.
From reading the insight last year, I was expecting them to update players(looks) since they said that try to make players look who they currently are.

That is why I like PC, though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.