Home
NHL 13 News Post

Due to licensing deals to secure the rights for authentic masks for NHL 13, not all of them can be included. Those rights are normally held by the artist, not the goalie.

As stated in the NHL 13 blog...

Quote:
Often, the artist has used imagery that is fine to use in an artistic manner, but not for a licensed product. For example, Peter Budaj’s mask features Lionel Messi and Ned Flanders from the Simpson. The fact that licensed imagery is included in the design would prevent us from ever being able to recreate the mask in-game.

Source - Inside Look: Brodeur’s Authentic Mask in NHL 13

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gagnon39 @ 08/07/12 06:59 PM
Aaaaaaah! That is FREAKING awesome! We can only hope that they have more!

I wish they made it where we can make our own goalie masks. Kind of like the way that games (NCAA Football I believe) have allowed for custom logos on helmets.

# 2 yankeesgiants @ 08/07/12 07:01 PM
Authentic masks were in NHL 97 on the PC. It would be nice if they could get that license back.

# 3 Gagnon39 @ 08/07/12 07:05 PM
No doubt! I'd really like to see authentic masks. I wonder what happens if a goalie gets traded though?

# 4 gator3guy @ 08/07/12 07:15 PM
This was leaked a couple months ago before Marty resigned with Devs. Would have been a waste if he went elsewhere lol.

# 5 Weapon X @ 08/07/12 07:36 PM
Hmm, seems a bit late to just now realize this given how long Marty's been around -- I guess the old adage of "better late than never" applies here. Meanwhile though, their answer at the bottom of the post seems to imply that they still haven't caught on to the concept of just licensing the mask designs that incorporate the team assets and/or original art only, and adding those to the game so that we have more than the lackluster two designs per team to choose from.

*sigh* Well, we can hope that this made them realize that they haven't added any new NHL mask designs in like 5 years, and gets them to add at least two additional selections to each team's collection.

WX

# 6 TheUndogmatic @ 08/07/12 08:12 PM
Finally people realize that goalie masks have to be licensed, and you can't just put them into the game.

# 7 canucksss @ 08/07/12 09:21 PM
authentic mask should be in the game...IMHO to add realism. hope we could design too

# 8 rowdyyyrob @ 08/07/12 10:05 PM
With the wording being "not all of them can be included", I'm hoping for at least some other masks to make it in this year other than Brodeur's. Perhaps they've worked with some mask artists to work a deal to use their creations that don't feature licensed content (ex: Dave D'Arrigo, artist for Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury and others. The two aforementioned don't have licensed content on their masks currently.)

# 9 Cycloniac @ 08/08/12 12:29 AM
I think they only got Marty's authentic mask in, which is a shame, but a step in the right direction. Hmm, it'd be interesting seeing Bryz's mask in game to make up for his streaky goaltending. ;p

# 10 bad_philanthropy @ 08/08/12 02:54 AM
Simple way to get around the impossibility of licensing masks with depicting restricted properties. Allow the user the same artistic context that allows goalies to get away with having the images on their masks by giving us a custom mask builder.

# 11 ComaFaction @ 08/08/12 06:37 AM
They would still have to provide the assets within a licensed game to do that, though, wouldn't they?

# 12 mercalnd @ 08/08/12 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Authentic masks were in NHL 97 on the PC. It would be nice if they could get that license back.
It's not one license though. They have to get permission from every artist that designed the masks. NHL 97 on PC had 15 or 16 licensed masks, not all of them.

# 13 DFitz11HookEmHorns @ 08/08/12 08:14 AM
As long as they have Lundqvist's mask also I am fine !

# 14 jyoung @ 08/08/12 08:19 AM
If they don't want to sign deals with all the mask artists, then why not just give us a custom mask designer feature like Skate 3 has?

Should be easy to implement that kind of feature since it's already in another EA game.

# 15 brandon27 @ 08/08/12 11:40 AM
Awesome! Is there a list anywhere of who else's mask they got into the game??

# 16 Ehhric @ 08/08/12 12:58 PM
Sick... great addition toward the actuality of NHL

# 17 canucksss @ 08/08/12 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
If they don't want to sign deals with all the mask artists, then why not just give us a custom mask designer feature like Skate 3 has?

Should be easy to implement that kind of feature since it's already in another EA game.
Exactly...thanks

# 18 DrJones @ 08/08/12 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
What people need to keep in mind, and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong on this. Wouldn't EA in alot of cases need also the mask artists' permission to use their work? Also wouldn't those people seek compensation from their work being used in a commercial product?

I'd imagine it comes again down to the NHL sku having a much smaller budget than say a Madden or Fifa or NBA2k.
This is correct. When I was working on NHL (many moons ago), I was told that to get authentic masks for all 30 starters at the time would cost about a million bucks.

# 19 DrJones @ 08/08/12 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
They never had that license. They used authentic masks without the artists' permission.

# 20 yankeesgiants @ 08/08/12 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
They never had that license. They used authentic masks without the artists' permission.
There press release from 1996 says otherwise.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Electr......-a018742886

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.