Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

I knew there would be a lot of questions/concerns regarding today's announcements, especially regarding the Control Stick, so I just wanted to give a few more details.

The Shot button is still there and more fully featured than in past versions. So if you choose, you can use the Right Stick for dribble moves and do all your shots with the face buttons. A lot of guys in the office prefer to play this way. In case you missed it, B (CIRCLE) is a Hop Step button again.

There's an option to toggle the default behavior of the Control Stick. So you can make the Right Stick Shot Stick by default, and then hold LT (L2) to activate Isomotion.

You can perform basic dribble moves with the Left Stick as well. Of course, you won't have near the same level of control as you would with the Right Stick, but it's a pretty complete arsenal of moves... including sizeups (tap the Left Stick side to side.)

Bottom line, we're giving you the ability to play the way you want to play 2K13. If you adopt the Control Stick fully, you'll have more control over your player than any basketball has ever given in the past... hands down. But if you want a more casual pick up and play experience, we accommodate that as well. Hope that answers some questions.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BrianFifaFan @ 08/10/12 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
Awesome to hear about the variety of options available for all the different type of players. Seems this game has been engineered for freedom.
Had to throw a PES reference in there, didn't you?

# 62 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Double Tap B for spins, B + LS away for stepback.
thank you, sir. looks like this year's control scheme is enough to keep everyone happy. no more unintentional floaters when i wanted a hop step...and no more inconsistent stepbacks.

being able to do spins with the button again is kind of a big deal to me as well. trying to do the RS + L2 spins in 2k12 just felt too sluggish and inconsistent. the button will be much more responsive.

# 63 Thelorn @ 08/10/12 04:02 PM
Now that hop step is a button again, I wonder if it will be back to being the 100% success move again.

# 64 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelorn
Now that hop step is a button again, I wonder if it will be back to being the 100% success move again.
it was the 100% success move in 2k12 as well, people just didn't use it as often because it was harder to do. i like that the hop step is easier now, 2k just has to make sure there is contact physics on hop steps so the defender can redirect them with contact...or there should be an automatic physics-based charging call if a player tries to hop step right into a defender. as long as 2k handles the contact physics properly, it should be fine.

# 65 Thelorn @ 08/10/12 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
it was the 100% success move in 2k12 as well, people just didn't use it as often because it was harder to do. i like that the hop step is easier now, 2k just has to make sure there can be contact physics on hop steps so you can draw charges on them or redirect them with contact.
That's true about it being 100% in 2k12 also. So is the spin dunk/layup it always goes in or draws the foul. Not only do they go in/draw fouls but they automatically push whoever is guarding out of the way which is probably why it works 100% of the time.

# 66 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelorn
That's true about it being 100% in 2k12 also. So is the spin dunk/layup it always goes in or draws the foul. Not only do they go in/draw fouls but they automatically push whoever is guarding out of the way which is probably why it works 100% of the time.
yep..it's a contact physics issue. hopefully 2k implemented contact on these types of animations this year and we will see a lot more physics-based auto charges...the offensive player needs to be punished for trying to plow into defenders willy nilly with hop steps and spins. physics is the way to do this - physics don't lie. in 2k12, you could be very careless about when you attempted these moves because you could just nudge defenders aside or morph right through them...but hopefully in 2k13 you will have to be careful or risk picking up a charge, or just being stopped with contact.

# 67 Gramps91 @ 08/10/12 04:19 PM
Sweet! I love it!
I play on PS3 and if I ever had to press anything besides square to shoot, I would be pissed. I've never liked the shot stick at all! One advantage I always liked of Live more than 2k was using the right stick for tricks, so this sounds great to me. I'm even more pumped than I was before!

# 68 LD2k @ 08/10/12 04:53 PM
The fans are ecstatic about this info, Beluba...

NBA 2K13's defenders ankles - not so much.

# 69 Thelorn @ 08/10/12 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
The fans are ecstatic about this info, Beluba...

NBA 2K13's defenders ankles - not so much.
Can you comment on there being 100% successful moves this year? Like the hop step,spinning dunk and up and unders that were in past 2ks. Also will layup/dunking animations push defenders out of the way like before? Very huge aspects for me personally.

# 70 kevmasood @ 08/10/12 05:14 PM
All this xbox talk wat about the ps3 controlls and the hop step is back wat about the post play is triangle still the the controls were fine eveybody complaining ooo i cant do this move that move learn the game we had it for a whole year now they wanna make the game to freindly learn how to play the game

# 71 smithdynasty @ 08/10/12 05:20 PM
Mike,

Can we get James Harden's Signature celebration after he makes a 3 pointer in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHyDeckCAbQ&feature=related

# 72 kevmasood @ 08/10/12 05:32 PM
And another thing the directional passing was off i only icon pass that was on point as always thats the way i manuver around the court and i play in the paint keep the controls the way they is!!!!!!!!!!

# 73 bateman11 @ 08/10/12 05:35 PM
SOO damn excited for this. Especially the new dribbling controls. Based on the video, it looks like it is actualy possible to conpletely fake out the on ball defender this year, something that couldnt be done in 2k11. Thats huge.

# 74 RumbleCard @ 08/10/12 05:41 PM
Great news. I love that I can default the shot stick and remap the iso to engage with the LT.

More importantly I think it speaks volumes about 2K that they took the time to clarify this issue. There's nothing I hate more than being in the dark over incomplete or vague explanations that could easily be cleared up in 5 minutes.

Thumbs up to Beluba for clearing this up.

# 75 richmo @ 08/10/12 06:01 PM
My post in another thread earlier for those you who might not see the "realism" aspect of the controls:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo
Maybe I'm different, but I don't mind the Shot Stick's new control. In real life, you can only dribble with one hand at a time (R Stick) and when you shoot, you need your OTHER hand to gather (L trigger). Makes sense to me but it's easy to say that without playing it.
Might help some others get a new perspective on it.

# 76 jersez @ 08/10/12 06:24 PM
@Beluba

One of the issues I had with isomotion last year, is I would get my defender off-balance with a size up cross, but the launch cross was really slow and it was easy for the cpu to defend. Another problem I have with the launches last year is that, I felt out of control doing a explosive one, it wouldn't allow me to attack my defender hip(go in a straight line), like your taught irl. Was this addressed in 2k13?

# 77 8KB24 @ 08/10/12 06:41 PM
On that Conley ankle breaker. Do you have to push LS and RS down to execute a stepback?

# 78 blues rocker @ 08/10/12 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
@Beluba

One of the issues I had with isomotion last year, is I would get my defender off-balance with a size up cross, but the launch cross was really slow and it was easy for the cpu to defend. Another problem I have with the launches last year is that, I felt out of control doing a explosive one, it wouldn't allow me to attack my defender hip(go in a straight line), like your taught irl. Was this addressed in 2k13?
agreed...trying to explode forward always felt slow and the ball handler never really seemed to have that explosive first step. i hope the ball handler feels quicker this year (especially when using the turbo trigger).

# 79 TreyIM2 @ 08/10/12 07:10 PM
I had to dust of Live 10 cuz I'm so amped about the new controls for this game. Lol. Live 10 was the BEST handling game and now it's going to be improved upon and included in what is possibly shaping up to be the best basketball game of all time.

I think I'm too amped for this....

# 80 BrianFifaFan @ 08/10/12 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I had to dust of Live 10 cuz I'm so amped about the new controls for this game. Lol. Live 10 was the BEST handling game and now it's going to be improved upon and included in what is possibly shaping up to be the best basketball game of all time.

I think I'm too amped for this....
In a way, I hoping that Beluba has brought some of the "feel" of NBA Live 10, as well. As much as I love 2k, I always felt that Live 10 had a nice "sim" feel to it. It's great to have the free-flowing creativity that the new controls will bring, but I want it not to be too arcadish. There's got to be an emphasis on D and making the players execute. I thought Live10 had a pretty good balance. Heck, I'll say it.... I want NBA2k13 to be NBA Live13, in disguise! ( the NBA Live that would've been if Mike had stayed, that is.....)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.