Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

I knew there would be a lot of questions/concerns regarding today's announcements, especially regarding the Control Stick, so I just wanted to give a few more details.

The Shot button is still there and more fully featured than in past versions. So if you choose, you can use the Right Stick for dribble moves and do all your shots with the face buttons. A lot of guys in the office prefer to play this way. In case you missed it, B (CIRCLE) is a Hop Step button again.

There's an option to toggle the default behavior of the Control Stick. So you can make the Right Stick Shot Stick by default, and then hold LT (L2) to activate Isomotion.

You can perform basic dribble moves with the Left Stick as well. Of course, you won't have near the same level of control as you would with the Right Stick, but it's a pretty complete arsenal of moves... including sizeups (tap the Left Stick side to side.)

Bottom line, we're giving you the ability to play the way you want to play 2K13. If you adopt the Control Stick fully, you'll have more control over your player than any basketball has ever given in the past... hands down. But if you want a more casual pick up and play experience, we accommodate that as well. Hope that answers some questions.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 stillfeelme @ 08/10/12 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo
My post in another thread earlier for those you who might not see the "realism" aspect of the controls:

Might help some others get a new perspective on it.
Yeah it is almost like what Elite was trying to do but a little more advanced. I think it will become intuitive if you think about it like that and the way you put it. Your legs are the left stick, your dribbling is right stick your off hand is the LT. In order to shoot you have to place your off hand on the ball like real life. So you must press LT anytime you want to shoot and the right stick becomes your shooting hand.

# 82 BrianFifaFan @ 08/10/12 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
So we can switch the default so the LT does the dribbling stuff? I'm really excited about this because of the things you can now do with the ball. I'm pumped for this game more than i've been of any other in a while.
Yeah, it's basically a duplicate of Fifa's Skill system. You do the dribbles after you depress LT. That's how I'm used to playing Fifa, will definitely go with that setup....

# 83 aloncho11 @ 08/10/12 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
Had to throw a PES reference in there, didn't you?
Of course! Seems like 2K has taken little bits from the best of every sports game. The special traits/skills remind me of PES too

# 84 stillfeelme @ 08/10/12 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
On that Conley ankle breaker. Do you have to push LS and RS down to execute a stepback?

Quote:
Double Tap B for spins, B + LS away for stepback.
He "Beluba" said this earlier

# 85 BrianFifaFan @ 08/10/12 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
Of course! Seems like 2K has taken little bits from the best of every sports game. The special traits/skills remind me of PES too
I totally agree! It's funny I actually used the word "ape" about the controls in my thoughts and then saw the Gamersutra article. They said they didn't "ape" the Fifa controls, but made a similar one. Bull! They even have a setting to make it the Fifa controls. I'm actually loving how they are saying "this is great, let's adapt it to our game." Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....

P.S. Got the term "ape" from David Rutter, talking about why his controls ended up looking soooo much like PES'. LOL!!!

# 86 Marvc @ 08/10/12 09:47 PM
Can you actually take charges in this game? It was so hard to take charges I felt in 12.

Thx

# 87 kolanji @ 08/10/12 10:02 PM
well defensive shadowing is back from nba 2k9 just hope palying up or sagging off also made a comeback

# 88 kolanji @ 08/10/12 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvc
Can you actually take charges in this game? It was so hard to take charges I felt in 12.

Thx
they have real time physics engine now which helps with foot planting which makes position on the court realistic and no ice like skating...so charging and blocking calls are gonna be amazing...not to mention mid air collisions

# 89 RustyBlue @ 08/11/12 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
Did that ever even do anything?
it helped me greatly against users trying to steal the entry pass into the post

# 90 mjustin @ 08/11/12 01:10 AM
How about doing escape jumpshot moves as well as in doing different layup moves. That was the default control in doing such (lt + right stick)

# 91 DJ @ 08/11/12 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
In a way, I hoping that Beluba has brought some of the "feel" of NBA Live 10, as well. As much as I love 2k, I always felt that Live 10 had a nice "sim" feel to it. It's great to have the free-flowing creativity that the new controls will bring, but I want it not to be too arcadish. There's got to be an emphasis on D and making the players execute. I thought Live10 had a pretty good balance. Heck, I'll say it.... I want NBA2k13 to be NBA Live13, in disguise! ( the NBA Live that would've been if Mike had stayed, that is.....)
Really liked Live 10 ... pre-patch. Once Mike left, the game wasn't the same.

I def. enjoy the R-stick dribbling, off-ball control and play calling in Live 10. Those contact animations in the paint were annoying, and there was no fast break to speak of.

# 92 raidertiger @ 08/11/12 05:07 AM
Is it just me or does all of this remind you of NBA Elite 11 in terms of new features? Anyway it sounds great, if it doesn't work I can just switch it back. Nice work 2k.

# 93 darch @ 08/11/12 05:58 AM
Hope 2k dev read those threads

Im courios how to execute shots made now by LT+ST there was a lot .Hope shotting stick will be fully playable couse its amazing system when you master it fells way better than square button .

How we will get back up ?Now with triangle it is easy to back up even brigging ball up the court when defence is on you ,nba players do that all the time .We shoud control it and do it always with ball staing in the same hand !!!not changing automaticly (sometimes)

How about Triplethreat fakes(they shoul be analog like in live 2003 that was the best system ever,feeld fully controled )

They should back right analog defence like in previous 2k games on ps2 RS right left for left right hand ,maybe up for blocks just use to love that system feel fully controled by me ,steals and cutting passes was feel great,i didnt saw anybody using RS for defence now .

Hope game gets realistic tempo. Just like now you must use mvp and jd mod for quicker offence and defence moves put gameplay speed 49 for realistic ball physics ,and plaers quicness at 47 rest with abbys slidelrs feels way more realictic gameplay ,dribling etc.better respomsivness on shooting dribbling defence passing also look way more real.

# 94 Da_Czar @ 08/11/12 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
Hm. Throw the stick left to right to do euro step. What remains to be seen is is that the only way to do one? Or does that do a left to right euro step same as right to left does a right-left euro?

Also wonder if its a 1:1 input to action type deal? You flick one way and get an immediate step in that direction and won't step another way until you throw the stick the other way?
You can do it either way. I believe holding left too long using shot stick is still l a layup so the left right or right left euro's are all quick moves.

# 95 Da_Czar @ 08/11/12 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
well defensive shadowing is back from nba 2k9 just hope palying up or sagging off also made a comeback
It is a different system You control your distance manually.

# 96 stillfeelme @ 08/11/12 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidertiger
Is it just me or does all of this remind you of NBA Elite 11 in terms of new features? Anyway it sounds great, if it doesn't work I can just switch it back. Nice work 2k.
Part of the controls are like Elite 11 at the high level with the legs are left stick, hands are right stick but after that they appear to be different. To be honest I think what 2K is doing is probably as good as you can get. To do any and all advance shots you must use the control stick. Legs/direction left stick, offhand is LT and right stick is shooting. Once you decide you want to shoot it is just like real life. You press LT to place your off hand on the ball then you use the right stick to shoot.
  • Elite 11 you had to aim and time with their shooting motion with the right stick. If you did that right the shot goes in they called it skilled based. 2K13 you go from dribbling to shooting but must press the LT with the shot stick now called the control stick, or use the shooting button.
  • Euro step in Elite you would use the left stick to step left then do a left 45 degree point press on the right stick then up to shoot it and then release. That is how you would do a euro left to right in Elite. In 2K13 you press the LT to go to shot stick then you press left to right on the right stick to do a Euro step left to right. So they are different there, Elite you did the step with your legs, 2K13 you do the steps with the shot.

# 97 Vni @ 08/11/12 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
The fans are ecstatic about this info, Beluba...

NBA 2K13's defenders ankles - not so much.
You're such a tease.

Can't wait to get my hands on this thing. Can't wait to spend time tryeing to figure it all out. CANT WAIT.

# 98 jersez @ 08/11/12 01:11 PM
I don't think we can compare this new dribbling system to live 10 or elite, especially elites. I think this will be a never before seen type of system. Just look at the d.rose spin to cross, along with the ability to dribble off of contact.

# 99 stillfeelme @ 08/11/12 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I don't think we can compare this new dribbling system to live 10 or elite, especially elites. I think this will be a never before seen type of system. Just look at the d.rose spin to cross, along with the ability to dribble off of contact.
I agree the only thing they have in common is the legs are the left stick hands are the right stick after that 2K13 dribbling seems to be far advanced. That Rose move was sick. I think this will be the best controlled basketball game to date from the looks of it. Shooting control appears to be on par with dribbling control and they both appear to be easy enough or accessible for anyone.

I can see what Rob Jones was saying earlier that had people mad that the casual gamer will be able to do moves and think they are really doing something, but the really advance moves you have to really know what you are doing. So I think this game will be casual friendly because the dribbling and basic shooting are natural but us hardcore 2K heads will take it to another level

# 100 illwill10 @ 08/11/12 01:52 PM
This is something I have to try out. I have never been good with Iso-motion.

At 1st I was going to do the alternate way, where I dont have to press L2 to shoot. But, now I am warming up to the new way.

If I am able to get the dribbling down this year, I will just go back to button shooting.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.